Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kibayasu posted:

Regarding the motorcycle-arrow joust, I think it would have been better if they cut out the second pass and just went with the first and third. With all three its just Oliver not really doing anything for 20 seconds and letting the bad guy shoot at him.

That was my opinion too, Oliver was weirdly passive for that whole exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That scene came off to me like someone had the idea to do a good version of the Mission Impossible 2 bike joust, but then when they went to actually film it they just didn't/couldn't think or film as many of the cool ideas as they probably had. So the result is a couple of kind of cheesy looking back-and-forths, then a power slide that could've been neat but wasn't quite executed quickly enough to be truly awesome/impressive. Even the ending was kind of iffy. I mean, did Ollie take an arrow to the chest/shoulder and just brush it off? A for effort, but ultimately one of Arrow's few forgettable action scenes.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

howe_sam posted:

That was my opinion too, Oliver was weirdly passive for that whole exchange.

I was thinking he was trying to wait until the other guy emptied his quiver.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Oliver telling Diggle he didn't want to die down here is the type of darkness/bummer I never expected the show to get into.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Haha! Time to escape with parkour".

Nope.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

VDay posted:

That scene came off to me like someone had the idea to do a good version of the Mission Impossible 2 bike joust, but then when they went to actually film it they just didn't/couldn't think or film as many of the cool ideas as they probably had. So the result is a couple of kind of cheesy looking back-and-forths, then a power slide that could've been neat but wasn't quite executed quickly enough to be truly awesome/impressive. Even the ending was kind of iffy. I mean, did Ollie take an arrow to the chest/shoulder and just brush it off? A for effort, but ultimately one of Arrow's few forgettable action scenes.

Yeah the whole sequence just didn't sit right for me.
Apart from the fact it went on too long, I don't really buy Oliver just basically loving about with the guy who he thinks killed his girlfriend.
"HE GOT AWAY!!!" - yeah no poo poo sherlock, maybe you should have just not driven at him and shot his bike with one of your magic vehicle killing arrows that you use to take out 18 wheelers?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

bobkatt013 posted:

If she does that I am sure it will be wild! I wonder if she will gain the reflexes of a cat?

You're saying she'll become... Catwoman? :monocle:

thrawn527 posted:

Also, during the Suicide Squad episode in season 2, I'm not crazy for seeing that quick blink-and-you-miss-it Harley Quinn cameo, am I? I just about lost my mind when it happened.

You'll probably enjoy an extended look at her in a deleted scene then!

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

BrianWilly posted:

Reading some reviews of the episode, it's bizarre how a lot of reviewers just didn't seem to cognitively grasp that the reason Laurel didn't tell her dad about Sara was because his medication beeper went off and it reminded Laurel that his heart could explode in her face like an overripe grapefruit if she told him.

I mean, we complain about so many TV shows lacking subtlety, but apparently it really does just fly over a lot of viewers' heads when shows do try to do something nuanced with characters.

Could you link a review or two? It is truly bizarre if reviewers missed it because it wasn't subtle at all and is practically a trope.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah the whole sequence just didn't sit right for me.
Apart from the fact it went on too long, I don't really buy Oliver just basically loving about with the guy who he thinks killed his girlfriend.
"HE GOT AWAY!!!" - yeah no poo poo sherlock, maybe you should have just not driven at him and shot his bike with one of your magic vehicle killing arrows that you use to take out 18 wheelers?

Oliver doesn't have the money for those trick arrows anymore. Gotta tighten the belt somewhere. :colbert:

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

LOL she called dig chocolate puddin!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Deleting that scene was a wise choice.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
^^^^: Yeah, I'm with you on that.

Well, that's definitely not Tara Strong.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Oroborus posted:

LOL she called dig chocolate puddin!

Dig confirmed as new Joker.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Did they ever refer to Sarah as Black Canary on the show or just Canary? I think that's where they are taking Laurel this season, what with her spiffy new jacket and all her talk about darkness last season

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just Canary

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On the show she was only ever Canary. Some merchandise and promotional materials have called her Black Canary.

Black being the mourning color and all it makes sense as a name for Laurel to use though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I think is kind of weird so far this season is how the police are apparently just pretending that Roy doesn't exist. Like the scene where Det Lance announced that the SCPD is officially recognizing the Arrow they didn't mention Roy/Arsenal at all.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Maybe they don't know there's two archers yet.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Cirofren posted:

Could you link a review or two? It is truly bizarre if reviewers missed it because it wasn't subtle at all and is practically a trope.
The comicsalliance recap and TheBacklot recap (note: rampant gaiety) both completely gloss over the detail, the former of which outright suggesting that she kept it from him for another reason entirely.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Another small moment I really liked in this episode was when Laurel left Verdant, saying "The last place I should be right now is a bar." I thought that was a really great little character moment that a weaker show wouldn't have bothered with.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stayne Falls posted:

Another small moment I really liked in this episode was when Laurel left Verdant, saying "The last place I should be right now is a bar." I thought that was a really great little character moment that a weaker show wouldn't have bothered with.

That bar's no longer operating though, right?

I thought it was a clever thing like you, but also just a 'I don't want to talk to you right now, Ollie' thing.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Carlosologist posted:

I could watch this for days

I can't find the panels now, but I think they did that in of the Green Arrow books, him catching the arrow and shooting it right back. I thought it was an homage to that scene.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Still, you know what'd be cool? A suicide squad webisode spinoff. More Deadshot is always good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not sure why DC have decided to not let Arrow have Ted Kord or the others they said no too, when the movie and tv universes are separate. Not making a lick of sense now they have cast a new Flash

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Not sure why DC have decided to not let Arrow have Ted Kord or the others they said no too, when the movie and tv universes are separate. Not making a lick of sense now they have cast a new Flash

Unless they're making a show with Ted Kord in it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't Amell suggest something about a Nightwing show at NYCC ?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Someone said it before, but I still think it's a little twisted that Roy got away with murdering a police officer in cold blood in public.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Police murder people in cold blood in public all the time these days, and turnabout is fair play.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JohnSherman posted:

Oliver doesn't have the money for those trick arrows anymore. Gotta tighten the belt somewhere. :colbert:

He should start robbing the bad guys, like Blade. "You have FAILED this city! And your wallet's about to fail your spending cash, hand it over."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I hope the Oliver being poor storyline pushes him towards being even more of a Robin Hood figure. Realising that theres lots of people that are even worse off financially than him who don't have his support etc, they need help as much as victims of muggings.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Unless they're making a show with Ted Kord in it.

They have already confirmed Booster Gold will be appearing in Flash, and with all the stuff with super-sciencey STAR Labs, it might make more sense to save Ted for that show -- to team him up with his best bud Booster, and because he's known more as an inventor than as an industrialist.

That's what I'm hoping, anyway. Ted Kord and Booster are my all-time favorite characters, and Geoff Johns is a big fan of both of them as well.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I wouldn't want Ted to appear in either show. You all know what his fate is in every universe he's in. :smith:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Phylodox posted:

Yeah I actually agree, it was a bit much. It might have just been a casting issue, but it worked as a tease in the episode, but the deleted scene moved it into the "goofy" territory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krad posted:

I wouldn't want Ted to appear in either show. You all know what his fate is in every universe he's in. :smith:

Ted's weird because he's a white male legacy character who hasn't come back to unseat his minority replacement yet.

And he's the one everyone wants back.

He better end up on Flash.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Aphrodite posted:

Ted's weird because he's a white male legacy character who hasn't come back to unseat his minority replacement yet.

And he's the one everyone wants back.

He better end up on Flash.

The thing is everyone wants him back, as long as Jaime keeps the scarab.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Which Ted never used. It's already laid out perfectly for them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes, because bringing back the safe nostalgia version of a character has always led to DC keeping the non-white/non-dude version around as the primary one?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I think someone mentioned it previously, but it really seems like the Arrow folks are totally glossing over Sarah's whole six year history as an assassin that's done horrible things. I mean, season 1 Ollie would've been the one putting three arrows in her gut for christ's sake, what are they going to do if whoever murdered her is a family member of one of her former victims back for revenge? It'd be interesting if the show went there but I'm sure it'll just be the whole 'R'as did it cuz monomaniacal evil guy.'

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Rocksicles posted:

Seeing how Ray is turning the Queen Consolidated offices blue tint, it's a little too obvious so far how much they really wanted Ted as BLUE Beetle to Ollie's GREEN Arrow. It really would have been a strong visual theme and possibly tied into the evolution of Ollie's superhero sobriquet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

The comicsalliance recap and TheBacklot recap (note: rampant gaiety) both completely gloss over the detail, the former of which outright suggesting that she kept it from him for another reason entirely.

The Backlot's recaps have always been terrible. They barely pay attention to the shows they watch.

• Locked thread