Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

This owns! How bright is it, exactly?

I don't have a way to measure it, exactly. However it is definitely noticeable in a normally lit room. It looks super bright in that picture because I closed the blinds and turned the lights down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ZachAttack posted:

I just picked up some vengeance batteries (for a lot more than 5 eurobucks!) and they actually came with a small pamphlet containing the rules. Base cost is 75 with the punisher Gatling cannon or a 10 pts upgrade to the battle cannon. You can purchase another battery in the same slot, 2 maximum. I don't see a way to get any lascannons on them and they do not have any skyfire or interceptor rules.

As for HPs, that is slightly less clear, in 6th ed it was defined as a small building so it got 3 HPs. They changed the wording in 7th for building size and the VWB dont actually fit into any category anymore RAW. So, probably just give them 3 HPs.

I'm going by the Stronghold Assault rules, which allow you to swap the punisher gun for a quad icarus free (and the gun gets skyfire/interceptor).
Pretty sure I remember that part right. I think.

AbusePuppy posted:

If you actually want AA, an Aegis Line or Firestorm Redoubt is a much better option- the Vengeance is great as a way to add some really tough pie plates to an army for a pretty low price, but it's not great as an AA platform.

Having Skyfire now means that you will ALWAYS make Snap Shots at targets that aren't skimmers, flyers, or FMCs.

All buildings have an HP value based on their size. I could be wrong, but I am fairly sure that they are defined as small buildings, giving them 3HP each. Also note that fortifications are deployed just like any other unit now, so you'll place them at the same time as the rest of your army and they have to be inside your deployment zone.

I was looking at the Firestorm Redoubt, but it's 200 points for the exact same armament as two vengeance batteries + the ability to act as a bunker, isn't it?
Maybe I'd be better off ignoring AA and pounding everything on the ground. Six Castellax at 1.5k would be pretty difficult for most flyers to deal with.

Hencoe posted:

Problem with having something he has to man is Admech is (for the most part) low model count unless he's using tech thralls or the tech priest/servitor unit he might not have a dude to spare to fire it depending on how he runs it. (I usually have my magos with my destructors) Plus a macrotek magos lets him have two fortification slots which sounds kind of hilarious with the batteries.

VVVV that was my point with aegis quad gun vs the automated guns, sorry I wasn't clearer about that.

Rolling Macrotek yup. Nice support for my robits and two fortifications if I ever bother.

BULBASAUR posted:

Noticed two funny typos in my little red 30k book:

:psyduck:

Business as usual at FW then.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 16, 2014

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Mango Polo posted:

I'm going by the Stronghold Assault rules, which allow you to swap the punisher gun for a quad icarus free (and the gun gets skyfire/interceptor).
Pretty sure I remember that part right. I think.

Just checked Stronghold and you are correct! Though as already mentioned you would be snap shooting ground targets.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
If a model in a chaos space marine army becomes a daemon prince due to the chaos boon table he is said to lose all his equipment except for his mark. I assume this means the daemon prince formed doesn't get power armor?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

not lame! posted:

If a model in a chaos space marine army becomes a daemon prince due to the chaos boon table he is said to lose all his equipment except for his mark. I assume this means the daemon prince formed doesn't get power armor?
Yes. No armor, no weapons, no bikes, nothing. It's often pretty lovely, especially since it might jam your Lord or whatever out into the open and away from the unit that was soaking fire. About the only time it is worth it on a Lord is if you are on your last wound and it happens on your opponent's turn, so you don't get shot to poo poo and even then, you're now walking around with nothing fancy.

Or, of course, Mr. Power Sword or Cultist Champion that was 5-40 points in total gets it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PantsOptional posted:

All this LotD talk has me thinking that clearly I should do some up now that I've found the right heads.

Led by Chapter Master I'kubeod Khraeyn?

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

Von Humboldt posted:

Or, of course, Mr. Power Sword or Cultist Champion that was 5-40 points in total gets it.

This is what I'm hoping for!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Dark Apotheosis has only ever happened to my Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor with Axe of Blind Fury. It's never actually been an upgrade, but it's always pretty neat when it happens so I don't hugely mind. Someday, cultist champion, it'll happen to you!

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Von Humboldt posted:

Yes. No armor, no weapons, no bikes, nothing.

Unless something changed in an FAQ when I wasn't looking, they do.

CSM Codex posted:

Dark Apotheosis: The champion is transformed into a Daemon Prince equipped with power armour.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

Sykic posted:

And there was me thinking I was being clever having assembled my daemon prince without power armor.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I can (kinda) understand most of your equipment biting the dust when you Hulk Out via Dark Apotheosis, and not having things like wings or other DP-specific upgrades, but at the very least daemon weapons should remain intact.

Do they at least keep any mastery levels if they were a psychic beforehand?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Sykic posted:

Huh, got me there. I must have overlooked it - it would have been useful the last time it happened.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can IC's join any unit now? I'm thinking of random ways I can punk people with an Allied DE detachment and Archon. Non-scatter deepstriking Fire Dragons and D-Scythes in Wave Serpent? Sure. But what about non-scatter deep-striking War Walkers?

Also thinking about a non-scatter deep-striking 20 man squad of Guardians with two Farseers and weapon batteries or non-scatter deep-striking Dark Reapers in Wave Serpent?

Non-scatter deep-striking!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Everything except for vehicle squadrons, vehicles, and MCs.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So wait, do Walkers count as vehicles or are they infantry for this purpose?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Boon posted:

So wait, do Walkers count as vehicles or are they infantry for this purpose?

Walker is just a subtype of vehicle, like skimmer or tank.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I find it hilarious that Mephiston, whose statline beats a Daemon Prince quite handily in most regards (except for the option of flight), gets to join a unit.

Then again, he is a colossal chunk of points.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sephyr posted:

I find it hilarious that Mephiston, whose statline beats a Daemon Prince quite handily in most regards (except for the option of flight), gets to join a unit.

Then again, he is a colossal chunk of points.

I thought he couldn't join a unit because he is a character, not an independent character.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Mephiston's entire drawback is that he's not an IC. Why would you think he was?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm pretty sure all the Independent Character nonsense was done away with in the FAQ.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
No it wasn't. He still doesn't have IC; it's not an oversight.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Interestingly. Him being a non-independent character forces him to act... Independently

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Cataphract posted:

Interestingly. Him being a non-independent character forces him to act... Independently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Mango Polo posted:

I was looking at the Firestorm Redoubt, but it's 200 points for the exact same armament as two vengeance batteries + the ability to act as a bunker, isn't it?
Maybe I'd be better off ignoring AA and pounding everything on the ground. Six Castellax at 1.5k would be pretty difficult for most flyers to deal with.

The big difference is that the Redoubt can purchase the Magos Machine Spirit upgrade once, giving all of its guns BS3 (and they're already twin-linked) and you can tack on a Quad Gun in addition to that if you really want to hammer flyers. It's pricey, certainly, but you get an AV14 bunker that a ton of guys can shoot out of, one of the strongest AA deterrents in the game (four TL's lascannons and two TL'd Autocannons) that don't require any "babysitter" units to keep them active.

Of course, just ignoring flyers or bringing them down by volume of shots is also an option. I'm pretty sure that one of the upgrades for the Thrallax or other Mechanicum units gives them Skyfire and maybe Interceptor, doesn't it? Don't remember if that one was worth it, though.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

Cataphract posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKmiDSfjtrM

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What happens when a unit snap fires or fires overwatch at a unit with this rule:

"Shooting attacks directed at the unit are made at -1 BS."

Are they still allowed to fire? Is this different than if the unit was making a regular shooting attack at BS1?

what does the fox say

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Could anyone offer advice on magnetizing the weapons on a lucius warhound?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Tabletop ready Word Bearer Cataphractii Terminators and Praetor... Trying to get my whole army prepped for Nottingham on Nov 5th.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Ghost Hand posted:

Tabletop ready Word Bearer Cataphractii Terminators and Praetor... Trying to get my whole army prepped for Nottingham on Nov 5th.

Love that red , how did you achieve it? Seeing this definitely makes me want to dive into 30k.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hencoe posted:

Could anyone offer advice on magnetizing the weapons on a lucius warhound?

You'll need to pin also. The pins will keep the arms where you want them so they just dont droop.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Hand posted:

I'd heard you talk about those bases on your podcast and was afraid they were gonna look too silly, but they turned out really cool.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

You'll need to pin also. The pins will keep the arms where you want them so they just dont droop.

I had figured as much, I'm just unsure how to proceed right now, not in a huge rush and I want to get it right.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

What happens when a unit snap fires or fires overwatch at a unit with this rule:

"Shooting attacks directed at the unit are made at -1 BS."

Are they still allowed to fire? Is this different than if the unit was making a regular shooting attack at BS1?

what does the fox say

page 8. gives you the order you apply modifiers. First apply multipliers, then apply additions or subtractions then apply set values.

So in the example you gave. The model would first have its BS lowered by 1 then its ballistic skill would be reduced to a set value of 1.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
So I just got the 7E rules for the first time and noticed that the Aegis defence line and other armed fortifications aren't in the main rulebook anymore.

Can someone tell me if anything about the ADL has actually changed since the 6E rulebook?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
In terms of costs, options, etc? All of the stuff that was there before still is. Some of the rules for placing/using fortifications are different, but that's all stuff you have in the 7E book. Stronghold Assault also introduces some new upgrade options for fortifications, but none of them are really anything you'd care about for the most part- the Aegis is essentially identical to what it was before.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah I was basically just asking if there was anything new I needed to know about buying an ADL with a quad gun. (I'm aware that the quad gun is not as good as it used to be because of the changes to Interceptor re: Skyfire, but that's another matter.)

Thanks!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cataphract posted:

page 8. gives you the order you apply modifiers. First apply multipliers, then apply additions or subtractions then apply set values.

So in the example you gave. The model would first have its BS lowered by 1 then its ballistic skill would be reduced to a set value of 1.

Ok, awesome. Thanks!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Doesn't look like it, but can you fit a standard terminator head on the terminator Praetor?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Not really. The head slot has a groove so you are forced to use smaller marine heads. Even here they don't often fit.

An easy conversion is to take a terminator head, chop off the front part, glue it into the hole, and then put a little ring of plasticard around the edge of the head groove to make it look like the VIII Power Armor "collar". The head will look kinda like the head on a mortis (just the top part and the rest buried in armor)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Direwolf posted:

So looking to make my mono-khorne vaguely playable again I think is going to involve lots of maulerfiends and Heldrakes. I already have one of each, but I don't like the basic Heldrake model (the one I have is converted) and 3 maulerfiends would look too same-y, so I'm considering alternate models or kitbashes.

Right now I'm looking into Fantasy Slaughterbrutes as an option for an alternate maulerfiend, does anyone know if they're the same size?

You rang?

• Locked thread