Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I like Township a lot, been playing for nearly two months now. It's freemium, but not too bad and it's a much better implementation of Farmville. You actually get a real city and everything. It's done by Playrix, who also does the Royal Envoy series of games (if you've heard of them, they are quite popular with the casual strategy crowd).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

f1av0r posted:

Any chance it's getting an English release?

Like 90% of these games never make it over (and don't really deserve to cause they're garbage). Recently Google has been helping with translation and other services for some of them.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/google-helps-japanese-game-makers-expand-overseas-1411060095

Meanwhile the BraFro guys are helping Sega bring over Chain Chronicle which has been a big earner for them in Japan. In any case unless it's a special case like Terra Battle how well it performs in Japan is probably the main determinant for English release.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Sad lions posted:

So on beating the entirety of Silent Age I have to heartily recommend it. A bit surprised by the ending and not sure what to make of the disco guy but the story and atmosphere is solid as all hell and the time travel is handled amazingly in it.
They really nail the 70s end of the world movie feel to it.

The whole game came out? I seem to recall them ending on a halfway note and throwing out a (not entirely unwarranted) hand for some bux.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Bogart posted:

The whole game came out? I seem to recall them ending on a halfway note and throwing out a (not entirely unwarranted) hand for some bux.

Yup. It's in the form of an update and IAP (£2.99 or $4.99).
It completes the story and as far as I'm concerned does a good job of showing up the first in the spookiness stakes.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there a thread for sharing invites to F2P ios crap? I am loving Spider-man Unlimited and would like more friends.

Edit: Well what the heck, if you want help levelling up your spidermen, add my spam FB account: https://www.facebook.com/ryan.seabrook.79

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 17, 2014

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ I know there was one for the OG Battle Cats, at some point.

Sad lions posted:

Yup. It's in the form of an update and IAP (£2.99 or $4.99).
It completes the story and as far as I'm concerned does a good job of showing up the first in the spookiness stakes.

Nice! I really enjoyed the original product.

Also: I've been playing hoplite (isometric rogue-lite), Corrypt (weird, pixely puzzle game), and ZiGGURAT (kinda arcadey fixed-point shooter). They all pretty well own.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I bought ziggurat way back in the day. I have the email receipt, it was on my one and only iTunes account and all that, but I can't redownload it? It shows up with a price on the store, not a download icon, and it's not in my purchased list.

Did they rerelease it and remove the original at some point?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

chrisoya posted:

I bought ziggurat way back in the day. I have the email receipt, it was on my one and only iTunes account and all that, but I can't redownload it? It shows up with a price on the store, not a download icon, and it's not in my purchased list.

Did they rerelease it and remove the original at some point?

If this is the case, then the original app would be somewhere in your Purchased tab, but it's not searchable. You have to manually scroll and find it. I think this is the case for the original Junk Jack vs Junk Jack X.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It is searchable, or at least it claims to be. But anyway, last time I got curious I scrolled all the way through and it's nowhere to be seen. I'd email Apple but by now my brief wanting-to-play-Ziggurat phase has worn off.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was looking through the new releases and was really happy to see Fat Princess listed...only to see that now for some reason it's a F2P tile matching game :suicide:

It honestly staggers me how many tile matching games come out on a weekly basis. I mean, I under stand Candy Crush and PAD essentially are money printers for their companies but you'd think these other companies would realized that the chances of people attaching to their ripoff rather than the original is really small.

Speaking of F2P games, I have some cat food to spend in Battle Cats and is there any cat in particular I should buy?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
I hear that Helix has a secret egg world. Has anyone got the scoop on a secret egg world

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Speaking of F2P games, I have some cat food to spend in Battle Cats and is there any cat in particular I should buy?

The Cats in a Box. They were great in the first and still are. Then after that Mr. was good in the first but I don't know if he still is. Dunno about the Rare Cat machine or whatever though, haven't tried that yet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

The Cats in a Box. They were great in the first and still are. Then after that Mr. was good in the first but I don't know if he still is. Dunno about the Rare Cat machine or whatever though, haven't tried that yet.

Thanks, already had the cats in the Box but got the Mr one.

So another one of the Battle Cats I have is the Actress Cat who looks like this

Which is weird enough but when you upgrade it to Mother Cat

:stare:
Also here's what that looks like if you also have the sexy legs cat:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

tonytheshoes posted:

Anyone pick up Sentinels of the Multiverse (or play the physical version, for that matter)? It's 10 bucks, so I'm a little leery to jump in without ever having played it IRL, but it sounds fun in theory, at least...

Even if you play five characters by yourself you'll rarely ever make any kind of meaningful decision, and whatever happens will be far more up to whatever pops out of the decks than any kind of agency on your part. It's really not a good game but it coasts on theme to a ridiculous degree. If it was like two bucks I'd say the app would be an okay time waster but it's not worth a tenner.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

axleblaze posted:

When I first played Battle Cats I got the Ninja Cat and it pretty much remained a staple unit the entire game. Swarming ninja cats at enemies was effective in many situations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Since all the Let's Golf games are dead, is there anything out there like it at all?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

axleblaze posted:

Battle Cats is the best

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Since all the Let's Golf games are dead, is there anything out there like it at all?
I kinda want to know this as well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

Is there a thread for sharing invites to F2P ios crap? I am loving Spider-man Unlimited and would like more friends.

Edit: Well what the heck, if you want help levelling up your spidermen, add my spam FB account: https://www.facebook.com/ryan.seabrook.79

I made a Gamecenter one and the Battlecats one awhile ago.

I think a general one would be useful, and someone with google sheets skills could set up a spreadsheet so users can just add columns for each freemium POS they grab with their code or whatever next to their name. You know? Y is users, x is games.

Then we can just reply with the link every time someone wants to talk about anything but ~serious iOS games~ and their cheeseburger calculus decisions.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Beneath a Steel Sky just got a surprise update for iOS 8 that also made it universal (but not HD so brace yourself for the low resolution).

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Tranformers angry birds is the weirdest goddamn thing. I think I could enjoy it, but Optimus Prime riding Astrotrain is just too much, had it been Sky Lynx it would have been o.k..

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Hey goons, I'm getting on a plane from Sydney to USA tomorrow and I'd love something to play that doesn't need to be connected to the net for my iPad.

I played the hell out of dreamquest and galaxy truckers already - they are pretty much the only iPad games I've played though - the device is still pretty new for me.

Any suggestions? Assume I've missed everything great.

Edit: Oh I've played FTL too already on my computer.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I really liked the old sword and poker game. Not the new free to play one (which I haven't tried but I hear ruins it), but this one:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sword-poker-2-ww/id369834297?mt=8

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Sardine Wit posted:

Hey goons, I'm getting on a plane from Sydney to USA tomorrow and I'd love something to play that doesn't need to be connected to the net for my iPad.

I played the hell out of dreamquest and galaxy truckers already - they are pretty much the only iPad games I've played though - the device is still pretty new for me.

I recommend Banner Saga. One of the more expensive iOS games but it translates well to mobile and the story/choices are amazing. The combat is fun too though pretty standard SRPG stuff.

Or if you want something more strategy than story-based, you'd probably like Hitman GO.

topiKal fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 18, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sardine Wit posted:

Old Final Fantasy games can be fun (though you should probably avoid FFIII). Battleheart Legacy is what I'm currently playing and it's fairly interesting. The Phoenix Wright series is also quite fun if you haven't played it already.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sardine Wit posted:

Baldur's Gate? I played the crap of it out of on a plane.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Lords of Waterdeep and Agricola are both excellent board games. Wayward Souls is an excellent fighty game. Hoplite and 868-HACK are excellent roguelikes. The original Phoenix Wright trilogy are some of the greatest puzzle games ever made, and you should definitely get them if you haven't played them already. I'd recommend Baldur's Gate 2 over Baldur's Gate 1 - the original is full-on low-level AD&D with all the constant death in combat that implies - but both are excellent RPGs. (And just in case you didn't already know, FTL got a free expansion a while ago.)

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Sardine Wit posted:

The Knights of the Old Republic port is pretty good. Ive heard good things about the San Andreas port as well.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I would just keep playing ftl, personally. It's just such a better experience with touch controls and that game never gets old.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sardine Wit posted:

Spaceward Ho!

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Final Fantasy Tactics and Brogue.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
I'm looking for a game that falls somewhere between Baldur's gate 2 / Dungeon Siege / Diablo. I'm aware that there is an iPad version of BG2 out, but I've already played it. Any suggestions?

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Had a chance to play Sentinels of the Multiverse on a buddy's iPad, and wow, I'm glad I didn't pay for it. It was a confusing mess of a game. 10 bucks is a total ripoff.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

1024x768 posted:

I'm looking for a game that falls somewhere between Baldur's gate 2 / Dungeon Siege / Diablo. I'm aware that there is an iPad version of BG2 out, but I've already played it. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't say it's necessarily a mix of those but if you haven't played Battleheart: Legacy then you should. It's a great game and it might scratch that itch.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
That and if you're looking to control a party, there's also KOTOR or the original Battleheart.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I started playing pocket trains and this has to be my favorite game by them (or is it only one guy?) so far. Maybe it just harkens me back to when I was a kid with a model train set, but there's something fun about the trains. Now if only I can get a cool looking one.

Also that battle cats game someone posted about earlier, how is it? I kind of want to check it out because it looks insane.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Nuebot posted:

So I started playing pocket trains and this has to be my favorite game by them (or is it only one guy?) so far. Maybe it just harkens me back to when I was a kid with a model train set, but there's something fun about the trains. Now if only I can get a cool looking one.

Also that battle cats game someone posted about earlier, how is it? I kind of want to check it out because it looks insane.
It's a cool game that you should play.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I am now, it's fun and I love the designs. I hope I can get a rare cat eventually.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Battle cats is a really fun. The only reason goons aren't flooding thread with pro strats, is we already that when the game out months ago. The newer version has a new translation and that is about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Battle Cats is the only freemium game I recommend to people simply because it's so buttfuckingly weird and beautiful.