Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Most likely you knit when you were 'supposed' to purl or vice versa. To do a stockinette stitch, you knit on the smooth side where the stitches look like 'V's and purl on the side that looks like little bumps. To replicate it, you'd just knit on the purl side and then when you turn back to the knit side, just keep knitting like normal. I'd keep going and try to space the 'pattern' rows about the same as what you've got there, or you can be all meta and roll some sort of multi-sided die to determine if you should make a pattern row every couple of rows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Dante Logos posted:

So here's a scarf that I have been working on. I am a total newbie at this, but I wanted to make something nice for a lady friend. All I have been doing is alternating between knit and purl with dropping the first stitch in a row but I have no clue how I got these raised rows. It would be awesome if I was doing it in purpose but I don't know what I am doing or how to replicate it. Any pro knitters in the know? And should I keep going or unravel it? I've done it a couple times already so I can live with it.

Sorry for the bad quality. Dropped my phone one too many times. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: fixed the photo. Oops.

Those ridges come from doing the same kind of row twice in a row. Doing it on purpose is called garter stitch.

You might leave them as "accent rows" if you don't want to re-knit the piece. ;)

Also, be advised that the scarf is going to roll up into a tube. Stockinette (what you do when you alternate a row of knitting and purling) is notorious for this. That can be a design feature or a bug, depending on how you view it.

e:fb!

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Dante Logos posted:

So here's a scarf that I have been working on. I am a total newbie at this, but I wanted to make something nice for a lady friend. All I have been doing is alternating between knit and purl with dropping the first stitch in a row but I have no clue how I got these raised rows. It would be awesome if I was doing it in purpose but I don't know what I am doing or how to replicate it. Any pro knitters in the know? And should I keep going or unravel it? I've done it a couple times already so I can live with it.

Sorry for the bad quality. Dropped my phone one too many times. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: fixed the photo. Oops.

Those are purls; a purl seen from the back is a knit, and vice versa. You were doing purl rows on the front instead of the back. By dropping every first stitch do you mean slipping? If you were dropping the stitch entirely you would have one less stitch every row and your scarf would be tapering to a triangle. Slipping the first stitch means moving it to the other needle without doing anything to it; it'll make the edges of most scarves look nicer. As for unraveling it that's entirely up to you; I'm not going to shame your scarf on the internet and insist you destroy it due to gross offence it has rendered me. :)

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

fuzzy_logic posted:

Those are purls; a purl seen from the back is a knit, and vice versa. You were doing purl rows on the front instead of the back. By dropping every first stitch do you mean slipping? If you were dropping the stitch entirely you would have one less stitch every row and your scarf would be tapering to a triangle. Slipping the first stitch means moving it to the other needle without doing anything to it; it'll make the edges of most scarves look nicer. As for unraveling it that's entirely up to you; I'm not going to shame your scarf on the internet and insist you destroy it due to gross offence it has rendered me. :)

Well, it involves less offense on the internet and more due to the fact that this is supposed to be a gift. I don't want to give something that is all :effort:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Dante Logos posted:

Well, it involves less offense on the internet and more due to the fact that this is supposed to be a gift. I don't want to give something that is all :effort:

In my experience, most people will be so flattered that you made them a thing with your own two hands they won't care even if it looks horrible. I made a pair of practice socks when I was learning how to turn a heel, and made a really crappy pair of thick socks out of random scraps of acrylic and gave them to a friend of mine with many caveats about how lovely they were going to be, and his mom is now convinced I want to marry him because of the amazing socks I MADE BY HAND for him omg she is totally in love with you.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
YMMV but I think that's just a mom thing. I would never give anything that (a) they didn't want and (b) wasn't at least as good as something store-bought. I have a couple aunts who paint, and I know that honestly, I'm super unhappy to get something weird or ugly that I have to keep around.

If you don't want to waste the work, you could keep it for yourself (or give it to your mom) and start a new one for your friend.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

YMMV but I think that's just a mom thing. I would never give anything that (a) they didn't want and (b) wasn't at least as good as something store-bought. I have a couple aunts who paint, and I know that honestly, I'm super unhappy to get something weird or ugly that I have to keep around.

If you don't want to waste the work, you could keep it for yourself (or give it to your mom) and start a new one for your friend.

I got the hang of making ridges and the like so it is more than salvageable. I can't do anything fancy so this is the most I can do to make the scarf more palatable. I'll show the final product when I'm done.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sorry, I didn't mean to call your project weird or ugly (that was all about my one aunt's paintings). But whether or not you do more ridges, the scarf is still going to curl a ton and not be super usable. I know you only know how to knit and purl, but that's enough to do ribbing! It's basically vertical ridges. It makes a scarf that's reversible and doesn't curl.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

From the picture I can tell you are very noticeably rowing out too, which means the size of your knit stitch is different from the size of your purl stitch.

Honestly I think it would be better to use garter stitch for the whole scarf.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to call your project weird or ugly (that was all about my one aunt's paintings). But whether or not you do more ridges, the scarf is still going to curl a ton and not be super usable. I know you only know how to knit and purl, but that's enough to do ribbing! It's basically vertical ridges. It makes a scarf that's reversible and doesn't curl.

It's cool. The lady friend is a very important person to me so I want to do this properly. Which means starting over and learning from my mistakes. I've unraveled it already and taking everyone's advice in stride. I'm going for a garter stitch or ribbing as soon as I get that all figured out instead and try to be fancy in whatever way I can and fail at it until I learn how to do it. It's no problem for me. I know this was going to be long and tedious and anger inducing but I'm going to make something nice filled with love, effort and copious amounts of profanity.

That said, I finished watching the final video in the series I was looking at to learn how to knit and the person casually mentioned that stockinette stitching is a bad way to go with scarves. Which would have been helpful when I learned about stockinette stitching and thought "oh hey, that might be a good way to do it" :argh:

Sodium Chloride posted:

From the picture I can tell you are very noticeably rowing out too, which means the size of your knit stitch is different from the size of your purl stitch.

Honestly I think it would be better to use garter stitch for the whole scarf.

I read up on it. I'm assuming the counter-solution is to wrap the working yarn around clockwise, right? Or increase the tension of the working yarn?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Garter stitch would work too -- it wouldn't curl either. And it's the easiest because you just have to knit every stitch. (Of course my first scarf still managed to be some kind of hosed-up mostly trapezoidal object, but you're already doing better than that.)

The other consideration, since you're starting over, is how the yarn feels. You don't have to run out and buy cashmere for your first project, but take your current yarn and rub it on your neck for awhile to see if it itches. I think a great compromise between price and quality is Berroco Vintage, a wool blend. It's like $7 a skein, which is obviously more than like Red Heart, but a very nice price for something so usable.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Absolutely increase your tension. That's what I do since I tend to purl more loosely than knit, and it works fine for evening up my purl rows. I have never tried wrapping the yarn clockwise, so I'll avoid giving advice on it.

You can't go wrong with garter stitch for a scarf, though! I mean, it worked great for the 4th Doctor.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Thanks again to the posters who helped me with the knit -> crochet pattern requirements. It was super easy. Here's the finished product:

The pattern again: http://www.yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/kunststrik/lysedug.html

Now, a question... This is the second lace project I've done where the final product didn't come out perfectly round where it would lay flat. On the first one I assumed I had screwed up. It wasn't a difficult lace and the number of stitches didn't much matter. But with this one I know I didn't make any mistakes because it would have been obvious pretty freaking fast. So what am I doing wrong?

I'm thinking that this time it might be the crochet loop edgings that make it wider and heavier on the outside. Especially since I pinned it at the points of one of the final designs and it appears pretty even from there. Anyone have any wisdom?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Something that's more than a full circle is never going to lay flat. But it's fine, nobody will have any idea when it's being worn/used. It'll just be a little frilly around the edges.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

That looks like a picot edging? I think they just tend to do that, but if it bugs you then you can try reblocking it and using an iron set low to try and smooth it out a bit more.

Also that is freaking gorgeous, dayumn. What yarn is it?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Safari Disco Lion posted:

That looks like a picot edging? I think they just tend to do that, but if it bugs you then you can try reblocking it and using an iron set low to try and smooth it out a bit more.

Also that is freaking gorgeous, dayumn. What yarn is it?

The yarn is Patons Lace - Bonfire.
I did picot edging for my last lace project so that probably didn't help.

As for this project, after looking through a bazillion comments from the other people on ravelry who have done that edging, what I'm apparently supposed to do is stretch the poo poo out of the edge loops until they stick straight out instead of the loops making extra bulk. Mystery solved.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Made a hat for my grandma

Also I am super excited I discovered the Anthropologie Knits group on Ravelry and they are so good at finding patterns and modifications. I kind of want to make this

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

jomiel posted:

Also I am super excited I discovered the Anthropologie Knits group on Ravelry and they are so good at finding patterns and modifications. I kind of want to make this

I didn't know this existed! Thank you for sharing!

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

jomiel posted:

Also I am super excited I discovered the Anthropologie Knits group on Ravelry

*YOINK*

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hey, so I'm doing something fancy with cables:

And I'm having the devil of a time switching from knit to purl, which slows me down something fierce. A while ago someone was mentioning a video on YouTube of how to switch from knit to purl without dropping the yarn, which is something I'd like to be able to do because holy poo poo do I ever love cables. I think it was a Norwegian purl or something? Something Scandinavian. I don't remember and I hope someone in this thread will. I knit continental if that matters.

The above project is going too be a cowl scarf with the cable pattern taken from Knitting With Balls and the yarn is Katia Oxford in colour 206. I had no idea it would start changing colours as it went, the balls were all a nice green when I got them but it was a pleasant surprise. It has these lovely flecks of turquoise and navy in it and it's just gorgeous.

Lata jie
Oct 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Mad Hamish, I knit continental too... I'm trying to figure out the issue you're having with dropping yarn between knit and purl stitches. I just flip the yarn over the left needle prior to doing the purl stitch after a plain stitch.

Also, your knitting looks awesome and I'm impressed that the stitch markers are colour coordinated :)

Stitch Bitch
May 19, 2005

Bitch I got that
:h:~fuckin swag~:h:
It is Norwegian purl. Here's an instructional video from a quick Google, but it looks like there are lots more if this one isn't clear enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DkwcejowiI

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Stitch Bitch posted:

It is Norwegian purl. Here's an instructional video from a quick Google, but it looks like there are lots more if this one isn't clear enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DkwcejowiI

Ah, that looks like it! I'll check this out when I'm not on my phone.

The stitch markers aren't colour-coordinated as much as they're used that way so I know what I'm doing. Green markers bracket the reverse stockingette that borders the cables while the purple ones bracket the cables themselves. The blue ones at the edges of the work are to remind me where to do garter stitch so the piece won't curl.

I love doing cables, they're so easy but look so good! Apparently my girlfriend's mother is annoyed because I can actually do them. I'm told she lacks the patience for it.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
I have a question about knitting and beads.

I want to knit this shawl but add some beads to make it a little jazzier. But the pattern doesn't have beads in it and I've never added beads on the fly. I'm thinking of adding them in the center of each little cluster of "scales" and then along the edging somehow.

Any advice would be appreciated from experienced knitters. Thanks!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
That would be pretty, I think!

The beaded shawl I did had beads placed on the decrease columns, but on the "even" row (like, you center double decrease on row x, and then on the next row when you get to that stitch put a bead on it).

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Hi everyone, I just started knitting about six weeks ago and have finished a few real projects (plus some regular newbie stuff like washcloths and elbow patches). Anyway, I have a yarn question. I've been asked by a family member to make some soap bags, but I'm afraid cotton would take too long to dry and gently caress up the soap. Is there something that might work better?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Cotton is kinda the go-to for washcloths and other 'bath' items, but hemp, linen, and bamboo (rayon) are also used. I've also seen people do felted wool soap 'wraps'. I don't think cotton would be an issue, but you could always make a prototype to see how your chosen fiber works out.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I loooove hemp for bath stuff. Just the right amount of tooth for bath stuff, it's durable, and it comes in weights that won't take forever to dry.

It has absolutely no give so my wrists hate knitting with it, but everything turns out so nice that I put up with it.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
A while ago I was talking to another SF goon about attending their knit nights, is it the Fog City Knitters group that meets Tues nights?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

jomiel posted:

A while ago I was talking to another SF goon about attending their knit nights, is it the Fog City Knitters group that meets Tues nights?

Come to the Princess Animal group on every other Thursday unless you live hella far from the Mission.

Also, I made this spreadsheet for calculating prices and yardage of knitting projects, so maybe y'all will enjoy it, too:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11UheyBOyUMDY-2UanCrkp6GBnTOB2m3TmV62hy3qRiM/edit#gid=0

Bonus is that if you share my taste in projects and are a size XL, it will suggest patterns for you. (If not, you can save a copy and do your own data entry. You can also save a copy and import your stash for further functionality!)

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Darn, looks like I just missed it tonight! I'll try to make the Nov first week one :) I live in the Sunset but I have not ever gone to a knit night before and I want to find new knitting friends.

I knit a cashmere scarf and now all yarn is like way too rough. What is this tough life :v:

I am too addicted to buying yarn so I thought some silk hankies might break up the trend (didn't work...). Still trying to get the hang of making a consistent weight.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

jomiel posted:

I knit a cashmere scarf and now all yarn is like way too rough. What is this tough life :v:

What yarn/pattern? This is lovely!

I wear my cashmere-blend scarf a lot more than my other scarves, because it's not itchy even when it's too warm outside for scarves. It's heaven.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

jomiel posted:

Darn, looks like I just missed it tonight! I'll try to make the Nov first week one :) I live in the Sunset but I have not ever gone to a knit night before and I want to find new knitting friends.

Yo - I actually moved out of SF a few months ago, but some of the best people I knew there were from my knitting group (Knitters on Tap, Wednesdays in the Lower Haight.)

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Amykinz posted:

Cotton is kinda the go-to for washcloths and other 'bath' items, but hemp, linen, and bamboo (rayon) are also used. I've also seen people do felted wool soap 'wraps'. I don't think cotton would be an issue, but you could always make a prototype to see how your chosen fiber works out.

effika posted:

I loooove hemp for bath stuff. Just the right amount of tooth for bath stuff, it's durable, and it comes in weights that won't take forever to dry.

It has absolutely no give so my wrists hate knitting with it, but everything turns out so nice that I put up with it.

Thanks! I was concerned since the worsted cotton washcloth I made takes about an entire day to dry. I'll find another natural fiber in a lighter weight and try that.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
effika, sorry, I totally thought I linked my project page! http://www.ravelry.com/projects/jomiel/carpenters-run-scarf

The yarn is Jade Sapphire Mongolian Cashmere 8-ply and the pattern is http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/carpenters-run-scarf. I got both as part of my YarnBox "luxe" box (I have both the monthly boxes and the quarterly luxe box).

Drei, darn we didn't get to meet up :( But I am totally going to check out Knitters on Tap and Princess Animal!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

So I've discovered that bulky yarn is the best thing ever:

I managed this in about an hour and a half while moderately busy at work. It's a bulky yarn on size 10.5 needles and oh my God I am loving how quickly this works up.

The yarn is Patons Colorwul in the Ocean colourway and the pattern is Mitts for Romeo. The yarn colours are beautiful but I'm not entirely sure these would be OK for me to wear myself. The colours are a little.....ah, festive, shall we say? :gay:

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Lookin good! It's funny... You think it's so bright, but compared to some stuff in my stash it's positively dull. But to each their own!

Man, I've been working 80-90 hour weeks with like 2 days off in a month and a half span AND moving, so knitting has been wayyyy at the back of my priority list. But Christmas is a coming, and a housemate has a baby due in February, so it's BRING ON THE BABY SWEATERS time. Oh, and maybe some chunky socks for the knitworthy. I discovered a DK weight wool with 10% nylon from Hazel Knits (she has some lovely colors, if you love hand dyed check her out) So that's my go-to for this year. It's lovely and squishy and judging by how well it takes travel abuse should hold up well in the long term. Very excited (lol my life is boring)!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Phishi posted:

Lookin good! It's funny... You think it's so bright, but compared to some stuff in my stash it's positively dull. But to each their own!

Sadly the colours don't photograph well. It's really bright in person.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I love handwarmers because I can make them in bright fuckoff colors I don't normally wear because it's such a tiny thing and it doesn't overpower your whole look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is all hats and scarves an' poo poo, where's the toys and fruit and creatures??