Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

All I want to do is watch live tv on my phone. This is all I ask. No sneak peeks, no bloopers, I just want to watch a channel, commercials and all without all the extra bullshit.

Do you have a relative or close friend with a cable subscription? Do what I do, rent an extra cable box/dvr for them and hook a slingbox to it. I get 99% of my tv that way now and it owns and all I need to pay is the monthly rental for an extra dvr at my mom's house. It has a phone app that isn't as great but works fine for live tv. You will both need a good connection, but with FIOS on both ends it's at least 720 all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mo0 posted:

Yeah, but if you don't own a television at all (those people do exist) being able to stream your local TV station live could be a big deal. As well as being able to catch up on old episodes as if you had a DVR without paying for the DVR every month.

Or you can use it to get the Big Brother Live Feeds! :suicide:

They're called poor graduate students. I'm one of those people.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Ravane posted:

They're called poor graduate students. I'm one of those people.

I think at that point you don't deserve tv :colbert:

muscles like this? posted:

NBC has a put pilot order for another bite at a The IT Crowd remake.

Wonderful. Well, I guess the first attempt fizzled out before airing(according to wikipedia) and the Office went on to great success on NBC, so maybe it can work?

Counting this fall season and upcoming spring, how many remakes/Americanized versions of British shows does that make?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Postal Parcel posted:

Counting this fall season and upcoming spring, how many remakes/Americanized versions of British shows does that make?

Hundreds more then likely not counting stuff that was tried and never saw the air, it goes both ways however.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I believe the issue with the first pilot is that they tried too hard to ape the original and had horribly miscast Joel McHale in the Chris O'Dowd part.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

Does the opposite ever happen where they take American shows and create horrible British versions of them?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

smg77 posted:

Does the opposite ever happen where they take American shows and create horrible British versions of them?

That 70's Show, actually!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

smg77 posted:

Law and Order: UK

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

smg77 posted:

Someone over there please do a terrible British remake of Glee. I mean, it couldn't possibly be worse, but also COULD IT?!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

smg77 posted:

Geordie Shore

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

xeria posted:

Someone over there please do a terrible British remake of Glee. I mean, it couldn't possibly be worse, but also COULD IT?!

I dunno, is Murphy/Falchuk/Brennan going to be writing the episodes? It's the only way it could be worse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

smg77 posted:

The BBC is more than capable of creating original horrible content.

DivisionPost posted:

That 70's Show, actually!

Haha, no way. I've got to look into this.

e: looks like the whole series is on YouTube. It's called "Days Like These" for anyone else who wants to enjoy the terribleness with me

e2: oh holy poo poo, this is really bad

precision fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 17, 2014

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

smg77 posted:

Mad About You, Married With Children, and both of Bea Arthur's seminal shows (Golden Girls and Maude).

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

less laughter posted:

Mad About You, Married With Children, and both of Bea Arthur's seminal shows (Golden Girls and Maude).

Wasn't Maude a spinoff of All in the Family to begin with? Awful show by the way.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yes it was. Maude is a brilliant show and still holds up really well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Sorry, forgot you were living on the wrong side of the pond. UPN and CW produced literally dozens of black-focused sitcoms and dramas over the years. Moesha, Girlfriends and Everybody Hates Chris (with Terry Crews) are probably the most well-known of them. Most of them were downright awful, but here's the thing, unlike Black-ish, they were written for black audiences. So where Black-ish has a lot of 'white people drive like this; black people drive like this' jokes, they mainly focused on telling stories and jokes their target audience would appreciate. That's why Black-ish feels like such a throwback to me, because I thought black-centered comedies had moved past shamelessly pandering to white middle class Americans.

Catching up with the thread but just wanted to say this is hosed up. I guess pandering to whites happens when you make a good TV show rather than something shittastic laden with jokes as unexpected as drama in the Middle East. Are you the King of Black People? Then who the gently caress are you to say what black people should or shouldn't watch? Man, you're the worst.

I haven't seen it yet, but when you have Larry Wilmore and Kenya Barris, people that have been absolutely rocking it in the comedy department for years (on shows like Everybody Likes Chris, the only thing you mentioned approaching watchable), I look forward to seeing it. And who, by the way, are black as well. But what do I now? I'm sure this show is Amos and Andy 2.0.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Nevermind.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 17, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

Are you the King of Black People? Then who the gently caress are you to say what black people should or shouldn't watch?

Black people can watch whatever they want. My only point is that Black*ish isn't the revelatory black comedy its being made out to be.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Black people can watch whatever they want. My only point is that Black*ish isn't the revelatory black comedy its being made out to be.
I think it is the first black-centric show on a broadcast network since the early 90s, though. Which is just depressing, really.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everybody Hates Chris ran until 2009.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

xeria posted:

Britannia High. Heres Charlie Brooker's review -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G05saPA31j4

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it is the first black-centric show on a broadcast network since the early 90s, though. Which is just depressing, really.

The Bernie Mac Show (2001-2006)
Eve (2003-2006)
My Wife & Kids (2001-2005)
The Hughleys (2000-2002)
Half & Half (2002-2006)
All of Us (2003-2007)
Girlfriends (2000-2008)
The Game (2006-2015)

Plus there were a bunch more short-lived ones, but those are the most notable ones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jesus, The Game is still on?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Everybody Hates Chris ran until 2009.

Does the CW really count, though?

JohnSherman posted:

Law and Order: UK

Owned. Bradley Walsh as a grumpy cockney Briscoe was awesome. :colbert:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bernie Mac was fantastic wasn't it? Severly underrated.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Does the CW really count, though?

Maybe not so much in 2009, but The Flash was 3rd in its timeslot this week and also beat Fox and ABC's entire night.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Very relevant username.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

NBC has a put pilot order for another bite at a The IT Crowd remake.

It's cool and all to go for the easy punches, but I'm actually interested to see how Bill Lawrence, Neil Goldman, and Garrett Donovan adapt the material.

If you recognize any of those names it's because of Scrubs, Cougartown, or Community.

[Edit: Actually Neil and Garrett didn't have anything to do with Cougartown, though they did write S3E01 of Community with the Cougarton Abbey parody... In which Britta states that British shows are always superior to their American adaptations. Heh.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 17, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"An infectious new comedy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjIB1E8nH7w

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not gonna lie, when Cristin Miloti said that she used to be married on last night's A to Z, I really wanted her to reveal that she was married to a nice guy in New York, had a couple kids, and faked her death to escape to LA.

Naturally, this didn't happen, but drat if there weren't 30 seconds I was so hopeful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

smg77 posted:

Kinda related - the BBC show Coupling is essentially a British version of Friends mixed with Seinfeld. It did a pretty decent job of it and had it's own style and is still pretty drat funny on rewatch 10+ years later. It's on Hulu if you fancy giving a shot, 'The Girl With Two Breasts' is a particularly excellent example as you see the same ~5 minute long scene from 2 perspectives, with the main character speaking English in the first with the love interest in Israeli (from memory), then switches them around for the rerun so you can see what she was saying and interpreting him. Clever and funny.

It was then remade by NBC (I believe), who completely hosed up the characters personalities and sunk without trace.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

less laughter posted:

Yes it was. Maude is a brilliant show and still holds up really well.

What? Maude is two old unattractive people yelling at the top of their lungs at each other for 30 minutes along with dated humor from the 70s that doesn't hold up at all. I think it's agony. I'm genuinely interested in what you or anyone else might think makes it a brilliant show.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
"Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?" is quite the line to end the episode at.

How to Get Away with Murder continues to impress.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

EL BROMANCE posted:

Kinda related - the BBC show Coupling is essentially a British version of Friends mixed with Seinfeld. It did a pretty decent job of it and had it's own style and is still pretty drat funny on rewatch 10+ years later. It's on Hulu if you fancy giving a shot, 'The Girl With Two Breasts' is a particularly excellent example as you see the same ~5 minute long scene from 2 perspectives, with the main character speaking English in the first with the love interest in Israeli (from memory), then switches them around for the rerun so you can see what she was saying and interpreting him. Clever and funny.

It was then remade by NBC (I believe), who completely hosed up the characters personalities and sunk without trace.

A lot of people say this but Coupling is the British Friends, but I always think it was more Friends for adults.

I sadly will watch this at least once.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is the Highlander tv show from the 90s a fun watch?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Never watched it, but the French title for this show is "Six Sexy" :laugh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kurtofan posted:

Depends on your tolerance for cheesy 90s shows with bad acting and super 90s. It does have one of the best theme songs ever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

less laughter posted:

The Bernie Mac Show (2001-2006)
Eve (2003-2006)
My Wife & Kids (2001-2005)
The Hughleys (2000-2002)
Half & Half (2002-2006)
All of Us (2003-2007)
Girlfriends (2000-2008)
The Game (2006-2015)

Plus there were a bunch more short-lived ones, but those are the most notable ones.

To be fair, My Wife & Kids is the only one out of those that wasn't on UPN/WB/MyTV, isn't it?
edit: Oh yeah, just remembered Bernie Mac was on Fox, all the reruns on MyTV warped my memory into thinking it was on one of those stations.

Kurtofan posted:

I loved it when it was airing, but I went back to watch a few episodes on Netflix a while back and hoooooly cow is it a bad show. It's still fun, yes, but as mentioned already the acting is terrible and it is 90s as gently caress.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

I liked it at the time, but it's kind of painful to revisit - the effects are really poor by modern standards and the acting leaves a lot to be desired.

I still like the mythology behind it at least. If you haven't seen the movies, start with those and decide if it's something you want more of.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Manos del Sino posted:

I liked it at the time, but it's kind of painful to revisit - the effects are really poor by modern standards and the acting leaves a lot to be desired.

I still like the mythology behind it at least. If you haven't seen the movies, start with those and decide if it's something you want more of.

That's not fair, because nobody will want more Highlander after watching Highlander 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

To be honest, just watch the first Highlander movie and pretend that's all there was. That thing kicked rear end in a fun, dumb way. The TV show just wasn't very good and the less said about the subsequent movies the better.

• Locked thread