Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I also disagree about Capaldi not feeling like the Doctor. That said, part of the reason it's felt so effective is because he's been "undoctorlike" both in Into the Dalek and earlier in the same episode. It's effective because it makes you go "oh! There you are, Doctor!" in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

That moment where the Doctor reveals he set things up so he could force the Mummy to choose him as its next target is absolutely stunning, and the way his theme kicks in is the perfect accompaniment.

I know he's said he prefers One, Three, and Four as his inspirations, but he's coming off as this mutant amalgamation of Six and Seven and it's wonderful. :allears:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I still can't get over how good Capaldi is at doing a Tom Baker impression.
Also I love to think of the fact that he is sitting actually imagining himself talking to the 4th doctor.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

GonSmithe posted:

I still can't get over how good Capaldi is at doing a Tom Baker impression.
Also I love to think of the fact that he is sitting actually imagining himself talking to the 4th doctor.

Yeah it's kind of fourth-wall breaking but knowing the actor and his history as a fan made that a little more magical. And yet you buy that the man on screen did, in fact, at some point be Four.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Alternatively he could have been imagining himself talking to 27 (or whatever that version of him was in Day of the Doctor)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jsor posted:

I also disagree about Capaldi not feeling like the Doctor. That said, part of the reason it's felt so effective is because he's been "undoctorlike" both in Into the Dalek and earlier in the same episode. It's effective because it makes you go "oh! There you are, Doctor!" in a way.

drat. I wish I had thought of that for my review! But I bought Capaldi as the Doctor ever since the "have a drink, I might have to kill you" scene from the season opener. He's definitely the Doctor in the scene against the Foretold, because it's that "ah-ha" moment that drives him to take a calculated risk.

Although, my criteria for "is a scene a 'Doctor Moment'" hinges on a key point. Could I see any other incarnations in that same moment, with their same quirks and traits, saving the day?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The only time where Capaldi has gone beyond the bounds of the role of the Doctor to me was in Kill the Moon. The fact that the episode after that he pulls off one of the most Doctorly stunts I have ever seen on the show completely pushed that aside though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It was less that Capaldi didn't feel like the Doctor to me (though I may have put it that way before) but that I didn't really have much of an idea of who his version of the Doctor was. Which, in a season that's about, broadly, him figuring out who he is, is to be expected I suppose.

Mummy isn't the first time he felt like a coherent character to me, but it's definitely one of the clearest portrayals we've had so far.

I'm kind of nervous about the use of the a-word at the end of the last episode, because ham-fisted addiction metaphors rarely work out well. But everything else, including Clara deciding that yes, gently caress it, she can in fact have a normal life and crazy adventures simultaneously (and of course she probably can't), felt real to me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Doctor Who Series 8 (34): Twelfth Doctor fell out of tree, but remained unaffected by it

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Doctor Who Series 8 (34): Twelfth Doctor fell out of tree, but remained unaffected by it

Well, after Six regenerated from hitting his head on the console, I would imagine future incarnations are better able to take a fall.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I didn't realize at the time how hilarious this is, considering some guy literally saw that scene and said "Yup, that's super Time Lord Regeneration Power right there!", got onto the wiki and wrote that up. Then sat back in their chair with a smug look of satisfaction.

All thread titles should be ridiculous Wiki entries

Edit: The Doctor would sit on top of his Tardis in order to hear better [TV: Listen]

McGann fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 17, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

McGann posted:

I didn't realize at the time how hilarious this is, considering some guy literally saw that scene and said "Yup, that's super Time Lord Regeneration Power right there!", got onto the wiki and wrote that up. Then sat back in their chair with a smug look of satisfaction.

All thread titles should be ridiculous Wiki entries

Edit: The Doctor would sit on top of his Tardis in order to hear better [TV: Listen]

Ok, fess up. Who here has fallen out of a tree and survived? If so, I’d recommend checking about for a fob watch. Anyone? Anyone? DoctorWhat, I’m looking at you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Ok, fess up. Who here has fallen out of a tree and survived? If so, I’d recommend checking about for a fob watch. Anyone? Anyone? DoctorWhat, I’m looking at you.

You fool! Do you know how many busty botany students' throats you could be putting at risk?

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

CobiWann posted:

I have, when I was much younger. Broke my arm too. It's not broken now, and I look very different ...

Holy poo poo!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gaz-L posted:

You fool! Do you know how many busty botany students' throats you could be putting at risk?

I do like the lad, but let’s be honest if there’s anyone in this thread who’s in dire need of a busty botany student…

SpaceCommie posted:

I have, when I was much younger. Broke my arm too. It's not broken now, and I look very different ...

Holy poo poo!

Quick question. How do you feel about topppling vile regimes?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CobiWann posted:

Well, after Six regenerated from hitting his head on the console, I would imagine future incarnations are better able to take a fall.

I like to imagine that all the biking and running around gave lardo 6 a hearts attack and that's what actually killed him.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like to imagine that all the biking and running around gave lardo 6 a hearts attack and that's what actually killed him.

Made me imagine that there are some Time Lords out there dedicating some of their regenerations to stupid, reckless, lifestyles.

Regen 1: Alcohol induced liver failure
Regen 2: Dead from untreated STD making its way to the brain
Regen 3: Died from staser accident
Regen 4: Died from staser again, but this time as a hilarious party trick (*Shoots self in head, regenerates*)

Or the vain Time Lords who kill themselves a couple times to get a face they "like".

Mainly I'm just imagining a Time Lord going through a glutton faze where they grow to be 400+ lbs and just eat themselves to death. Y'know, just once to see what it's like.

...All right, the Time Lord in all these scenarios is me (in my head).

Except the last one:

edit: Fixed my freudian slip from Regen 2 but more importantly WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON, MCCOY. The Doctor doesn't wear crocs!

edit x2: Or the Time Lord obsessed with an unrequited love, who regenerates in order to "try again".

I really need to do something more productive with my time off.

McGann fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 17, 2014

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

McGann posted:

Regen 2: Dead from untreated STD making its way to the brain

Getting a fresh brain after having been insane for a while must cause a HELL of a hangover.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

McGann posted:

Or the vain Time Lords who kill themselves a couple times to get a face they "like".

Eric Saward's weird HHGTTG-wannabe Twin Dilemma novelization has a bit about this. There's a load of detailed stuff about regeneration, including an anecdote about a vain handsome Time Lord who regenerates into an uggo, so tries again and again too quickly and ends up like the transporter accident in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Um HHGTTG? What does that stand for?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Acne Rain posted:

Um HHGTTG? What does that stand for?

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

I did, so don't tease me because I've dedicated a portion of my mind to constantly hoping the show is actually real and keeping an eye out for the Doctor like that poor hobo who asked Tom Baker to save him.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I did, so don't tease me because I've dedicated a portion of my mind to constantly hoping the show is actually real and keeping an eye out for the Doctor like that poor hobo who asked Tom Baker to save him.

Don't lie, I've seen a picture of you...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh don't be silly, I'm a responsible adult and here is the proof:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
My impression thus far: The new season has been fantastic so far and the goodness infused in it keeps sinking in more and more with each episode.

A bit like eating jelly babies very slowly by savory choice, one at a time. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Outside of the first half of Deep Breath, there's only been one episode this season that didn't really connect with me, and that was Kill the Moon. Even so, that was an episode which kicked off a lot of really interesting discussion and had a fantastic ending, so yeah overall this season has been a winner for me so far.

The first half of Deep Breath was really struggling to set the tone it wanted, but basically after Clara and the Doctor descend beneath the restaurant the quality just skyrocketed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd say the quality skyrocketed as soon as they entered the restaraunt because that scene was fantastic.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

SirSamVimes posted:

I'd say the quality skyrocketed as soon as they entered the restaraunt because that scene was fantastic.

Oh yeah, that was my 'oh crap, this is something special' moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Oh yeah my bad, you're right things definitely picked up from that point. I was thinking of the descent down because it feels so much like a natural cliffhanger for a 2-parter (which the episode essentially was).

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Have many of you guys heard the Jago and Litefoot audios? I'm halfway through series 3 and they've really started being crazy good. Like even more than they already were.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I finished The Holy Terror yesterday, it was absolutely fantastic. Is there an effort post somewhere of the best Big Finish audios? I've listened to Spare Parts and Davros as well.

CobiWann posted:

Quick question. How do you feel about topppling vile regimes?

It's starting to get annoying that they pop up whenever I go on holiday.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Chimes of Midnight, Colditz and Jubilee are considered pretty top tier of the early ones.

Speaking of Big Finish, they just announced a new Companion for Six... played by the actress that played Tallulah in the Daleks in New York 2-parter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SpaceCommie posted:

Is there an effort post somewhere of the best Big Finish audios?

It's out of date, but here is an index of posts that CobiWann made of their reviews, if that helps.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BSam posted:

Have many of you guys heard the Jago and Litefoot audios? I'm halfway through series 3 and they've really started being crazy good. Like even more than they already were.

They're drat good. Waiting for my delivery of Series 8. Also, there's two specials with the Sixth Doctor, their episode in the recently released "The Worlds of Doctor Who", the Fourth Doctor audio "The Justice of Jalxar", and of course, the Companion Chronicle "The Mahogany Murderers", which kicked off the whole shebang.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gaz-L posted:

Speaking of Big Finish, they just announced a new Companion for Six... played by the actress that played Tallulah in the Daleks in New York 2-parter.

Huh, that's interesting. He already played against her in the Jamie trilogy. She was doing the same accent and everything. Clearly they liked her.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

It's out of date, but here is an index of posts that CobiWann made of their reviews, if that helps.

That's an older list...I guess I should make an old index for the next thread.

My blog at Wordpress has all my reviews, same name at my screen name. I've done the monthly range up to The Next Life and the first season of the Fourth Doctor as well. They're all tagged by review score as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Big Finish has also scheduled the "series" for most of next year:

Jan, Feb, March: Fifth Doctor, Tegan, Turlough, and Nyssa.

April: Seventh
May: Six (and the Cybermen)
June (number 200!): Fifth

Unsure if this trilogy is connected or not.

July, Aug, Sept 1: Seventh and Mel!

Sept 2, Oct, Nov: Sixth and new girl Constance.

Dec: TBA

Jan, Feb, March 2016: Fifth, companions TBA

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

No Eight?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Eight's cordoned-off in Dark Eyes and the like, and has been for some time. He hasn't had a "main range" entry since like 2011 (the Mary Shelly stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

He hasn't been in the main range for a little while, but Dark Eyes 3 is out next month, and Dark Eyes 4 is out April next year apparently.

• Locked thread