Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

OkieMurse posted:

Has anyone gotten into modding CK2 or EU4? I wonder how hard it would be to make a map that has nothing but borders and very clear symbols for terrain like the trees you describe. It would make it a lot easier for me to plan my troop movements.

I think they're making a basic terrain map for eu4 now that provinces are always the same terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think they're making a basic terrain map for eu4 now that provinces are always the same terrain.

It sounded like the eu2 terrain map from the dev diary.

which was actually the default map and you couldn't really play in political mode (couldn't select, see, or move units)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's a new dev diary now. Also lmfao at giving nat ideas to all these poo poo ocuntries that get annexed within 5 years of a normal game.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There's a new dev diary now. Also lmfao at giving nat ideas to all these poo poo ocuntries that get annexed within 5 years of a normal game.

I need more national ideas so I feel like playing countries

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

Same.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

I just htink it's a waste of time to make them for Tver and whoever else, when you could make them for italian minors and irish opms or whatever, who can survive.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What if you want to try to survive as Tver.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Oh sick. Arabia formation. And Ruthenia I guess. But unless they get ideas it'll just be like forming Romania: something I won't do.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Everyone getting the same Revolutionary Flag looks goofy, but whatever.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This is all the Wiz's fault. Why can;t his employers see the AIDS that he suffers from.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Le Troll Wiz: Hey guys, formable Ruthenia with generic national ideas...and unique ideas for Ryazan. :troll:

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Apparently there will be new Ruthenian states so maybe they all got cool ideas too

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ukrainian Ideas would be a Godsend.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

Wormskull posted:

Ukrainian Ideas would be a Godsend.

there aren't? gross

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think Ukrainians get Russian Ideas.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Or Steppe Nomad ideas like Crimea does but I haven't released Ukraine in a long time.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Formable tags are super cool but the lack of unique ideas for doing so is sad. Like why bother forming Ireland when you already have the ideas. Just move to the New World and make Ireland in Canada.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Larry Parrish posted:

Formable tags are super cool but the lack of unique ideas for doing so is sad. Like why bother forming Ireland when you already have the ideas. Just move to the New World and make Ireland in Canada.

giant epic map letters

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

DICKHEAD posted:

Oh yeah what's everyone's Europe look like with Charlemagne?

I only just started expanding outside of Ireland by forcing a cousin's claim after spending forever feudalizing (??) all of my provinces and vassals. Charlemagne (Charles the Wicked) failed bad when him and the King of Lombardy suicided each other in a war. Lombardy is held by the second dynasty (by inheritance). The Francias stayed together for a bit but then split up under Karl's grandsons (King of Frisia and West Francia, King of Aquitaine, and King of 4 Province Middle Francia). The King of Frisia and West Francia is actually Dutch. Bavaria got huge and then split in half. Poland conquered the Saxons and then Poland-Saxony split in half but then the Saxon half got Holy Warred by a REALLY minor German. Norse are busy killing each other. Abbasids are huge and stretch all the way to India. Umayads split in half and lost to a Catholic revolt

Mine looks like the same as the start except advanced 2 years because I played as the Khanty suomi tribe and then lost a battle because my event troops deserted and hit alt F4.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

why are they called ideas

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

why are they called ideas

Because what else do you call them. Their cultural ideas.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lotsa ppl in games thread really upset that it's harder to mindlessly blob across the map

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
My wife was plotting to kill me, so I imprisoned her for two years. Now she's loyal.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

StashAugustine posted:

lotsa ppl in games thread really upset that it's harder to mindlessly blob across the map

straight up the biggest thing that makes me want to get this expansion

the worst part of ck2 was always how there was this very narrow range between "one-province count of bumfuck, sit around on 5x for years" and "god-emperor of europe, imperturbable & invincible"; a duke or minor king as whom you could actually have fun. get too big and the fun stops, so you have to do 'make your own fun' poo poo like intentionally giving kingdoms away to relatives or w/e.

if charlemagne actually fixes that, so that large empires can actually collapse in the hands of the AI or a competent player, I will pick this expansion up right now.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

"In the new 'The Art of War' Feature Presentation the Sub-Saharan techgroup only had a 60% malus on techs."

and from The Wiz
"Sub-Saharan is only West Africa in AoW, East Africa is Muslim/Indian tech (with African units)."

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I'm gonna do an Ethiopia game since they're Muslim tech now

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Did someone in the Games forum make a list of the stuff in the stream so I don't have to watch it? I'm just looking through paradox forum and finding bombshells like this

"a) Historically 'personal unions' were almost exclusive to European continent thus now they will be available only for Christians

b) However other religion groups will have enabled Royal Marriages between each other (such as Sunni - Sikh) as - opposite to PU - it has been not - so - rare outside of Europe."

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

straight up the biggest thing that makes me want to get this expansion

the worst part of ck2 was always how there was this very narrow range between "one-province count of bumfuck, sit around on 5x for years" and "god-emperor of europe, imperturbable & invincible"; a duke or minor king as whom you could actually have fun. get too big and the fun stops, so you have to do 'make your own fun' poo poo like intentionally giving kingdoms away to relatives or w/e.

if charlemagne actually fixes that, so that large empires can actually collapse in the hands of the AI or a competent player, I will pick this expansion up right now.

From everything I've seen, it should significantly hamper the blob but we'll see how it works over time. Haven't gotten into blobbyness myself yet, I have yet to unite Ireland (been waiting 15 years for a drat CB)

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

I'm gonna do an Ethiopia game since they're Muslim tech now

Oh snap, add that to the list of games to do then. I love doing those types of games, and I like the Muslim mechanics.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

OkieMurse posted:

From everything I've seen, it should significantly hamper the blob but we'll see how it works over time. Haven't gotten into blobbyness myself yet, I have yet to unite Ireland (been waiting 15 years for a drat CB)

the muslims are annoyingly stable but they were apparently bugged, see how it shakes out

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

StashAugustine posted:

the muslims are annoyingly stable but they were apparently bugged, see how it shakes out

This also applies IRL

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the muslim empires were huge and massive for most of human history between the romans and like 1800 so its not all that surprising tbh.

it sure as gently caress makes playing in spain/north africa/persia a loving DRAG though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

Did someone in the Games forum make a list of the stuff in the stream so I don't have to watch it? I'm just looking through paradox forum and finding bombshells like this

"a) Historically 'personal unions' were almost exclusive to European continent thus now they will be available only for Christians

b) However other religion groups will have enabled Royal Marriages between each other (such as Sunni - Sikh) as - opposite to PU - it has been not - so - rare outside of Europe."

The PU thing is good because Crimea ALWAYS gets PU'd by the OE.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This is just one of a million faggy whiny posts about paradox making the game too hard:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551718&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=742#post436417996

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Also LOL at that dude that wants to take the history out of Paradox games.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

OkieMurse posted:

Also LOL at that dude that wants to take the history out of Paradox games.

I eye rolled at that post so hard.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

At first I was really mad they took my beloved Assassination button away but now that I've played a while (and still had a guy assassinated anyways) I see why they did it and I really like it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

That's part of the problem, though. The Paradox forum is a place filled with history buffs. History buffs are the worst kind of grognard; they're knowledgeable about history without understanding the underlying concepts of historiography and historical determinism. So, we end up with a lot of threads about how this one province should be this culture or how this duchy could never have formed without realizing that historical outcomes only seem predetermined in hindsight. A game like CKII or EUIV should be plausible, but allow the player to completely wreck history as we know it. As soon as you unpause the game at the start, history as we know it goes out the window. I'm sick of the historical railroading that Paradox has increasingly shoved into EUIV. CK2 seems to be doing this less, but it's still creeping in there as well. The game should be based around plausible mechanics that work on a macro scale and not working off triggered events. EUIV has been completely wrecked by this kind of poo poo. The new expansion with the specific Thirty Years War mechanics are a prime example.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Uhh, histiography and historical determinism...btw historical events ruined the eU franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i want more flavor, always more flavor