Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Yeah, all they'd have to do is travel from Syria to Liberia, travel into some of the inner villages and hope to find someone with the disease who's symptomatic, then fly out of West Africa for Mexico - remember, crossing the Southern US border is always part of these fantasies - hire a coyote to get them across the border, walk through the desert while suffering from a disease where you can't stand up because you are losing too much water, and then camp out at a buffet for a bit.

I mean, I don't see how this could possibly fail to work.

Truckers! ISIL could infect a trucker, which is why we should oppose revisiting NAFTA and allowing Mexican truckers free reign. Even safer; subsidize Google to create robot trucks - with no driver they can't get sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here or in another thread, but apparently Diamond Joe's son Hunter was discharged from the Navy Reserve back in February after testing positive for cocaine. Expect to see all the usual suspects go apoplectic over this further sign of the nation's descent into hell.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Limbo posted:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here or in another thread, but apparently Diamond Joe's son Hunter was discharged from the Navy Reserve back in February after testing positive for cocaine. Expect to see all the usual suspects go apoplectic over this further sign of the nation's descent into hell.

I actually find that interesting. I figured it was standard policy with the child of a major political figure to just bury relatively minor infractions and put them far away from anything that could explode.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Limbo posted:

:allears:

Shine on Diamond Joe.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

In case you don't know the family history, Michelle Laxalt is the daughter of former Senator Paul Laxalt and the mother of Adam Laxalt. The father of Adam Laxalt is Senator Peter Dominici, of New York. Peter Dominici's wife is named Nancy. All of this was well known, but only openly admitted a little over a year ago. That's right around the time that Adam got ambitious and moved back to Nevada, where he was born but had never lived. The family is a little concerned that this is dragging their history into the spotlight again and that maybe putting someone in the office of Attorney General of Nevada who has no experience in gaming law isn't the best idea.

The Michelle Laxalt who signed endorsing his opponent is apparently a cousin, not his mother (that'd be something if it were)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Limbo posted:

Who the gently caress joins the military in their 40s? Was this supposed to be an attempt at laying some (more) foundation to pull a McCain/Kennedy and run for office on the family name?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Who the gently caress joins the military in their 40s? Was this supposed to be an attempt at laying some (more) foundation to pull a McCain/Kennedy and run for office on the family name?

Direct commission lawyer in this case it looks like.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clearly they'll get infected then crawl in to the AC system at a major airport, kill themselves, and their body will transform in to a Super Ebola that will get on everyone in the airport, ensuring they infect everyone else wherever they travel to because Super Ebola causes the victim to emit ebola germs in a 30' radius at all times.

Thanks Obama. :mad:
Wait, is ebola the fungus from The Last Of Us? I always get them mixed up.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is just dumb nonsense.

Everyone knows they'll come in to the US by crossing Lake Erie. :colbert:
I think Ebola corpses would actually make Lake Erie cleaner.

I'm thinking Adam Paul Laxalt is that cousin that everyone in the family loving hates but they're all much too polite to not invite him over for christmas.

Amused to Death posted:

:allears:

Shine on Diamond Joe.
"I learned it from watching YOU, dad!"

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Joementum posted:

There's another Vermont Gubernatorial debate on tonight for reasons I don't think anyone understands.

Pete Diamondstone (left) just called for an international worker's revolution, but warned that it might be overthrown by the CIA, like the Mosadegh regime. Cris Erikson (right) then discussed her platform, which is to ban motorboats on Lake Champlain.

I went to summer camp on the banks of Lake Champlain. Tubing was one of the few fun things we had. So gently caress this Erikson person for trying to ruin MY MEMORIOES
t:mad:

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

hobbesmaster posted:

Direct commission lawyer in this case it looks like.

A lawyer testing positive for cocaine? Perish the thought.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Yeah I thought that the Coast Guard was the last branch you could get into after 35

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I'm sure exceptions could be made for the children of senators/vice-presidents, especially politicians like Biden who are practically DC fixtures.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JT Jag posted:

Well tell that to the Fed, because they've been operating under the assumption that keeping inflation down is their single greatest duty and should be prioritized even if other economic indicators suffer since before I was born.

I had a prof describing the history of economic policy and how abuse of inflation as part of monetary policy was a cause of the economic crisis of the 1970s.

"There was the Keynesian heyday in the 1960's, then the economic crisis of the 1970's, which led to a revolution in classical economics in the 1980's, then the prosperity of the 1990's, [completely skips the Bush years] and now Keynesianism is popular again!"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chamale posted:

I had a prof describing the history of economic policy and how abuse of inflation as part of monetary policy was a cause of the economic crisis of the 1970s.

"There was the Keynesian heyday in the 1960's, then the economic crisis of the 1970's, which led to a revolution in classical economics in the 1980's, then the prosperity of the 1990's, [completely skips the Bush years] and now Keynesianism is popular again!"

Sounds like there might exist a...economics cycle.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Chamale posted:

Yes, this is pretty much what people always point to when they claim that Keynesianism is a failed monetary policy. "Keynesianism introduced/couldn't-get-us-out-of stagflation, therefore it can't help now either."

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There is no real limit on age if the branch need your education in a place where there is a shortage. You need waivers for these but a good reason is often enough. This applies to officers, whose cut off age for commission is 28 unless you get the waiver.

Occasionally the waiver is just a step you take and no big deal. If you are willing and you want to be an officer, and are not too picky, you'll be fine.

If the Navy Reserve needed a lawyer in this case and needed it there and had no suitable younger folk, that in itself was reason to get a waiver.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 17, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Willie Horton's back, baby!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mooyashi posted:

Yeah I thought that the Coast Guard was the last branch you could get into after 35

Not the case if you're a MD/JD

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mooyashi posted:

He got a waiver for his age. He also got a waiver for a prior drug offense.

Someone should probably ask Joe Biden whether he believes that the drug laws he spent years passing and campaigning on in the Senate should apply to his family.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, “I think also we’ll pass immigration reform. I think that’s one of the things that’s going to be huge in 2016: Republicans will pass immigration reform, where Democrats never could because of their intransigence, because they wanted everything or nothing.” ~ Rand Paul

He also says in that interview that he thinks Republicans can capture a third of the African American vote.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Does he explain exactly how they are going to do that?

I could see the Republican controlled congresses passing an incredibly watered down immigration reform bill that doesn't make immigrants happy which the Democrats either don't want or can't filibuster and then try and pretend that makes them a friend of Latinos.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “I think also we’ll pass immigration reform. I think that’s one of the things that’s going to be huge in 2016: Republicans will pass immigration reform, where Democrats never could because of their intransigence, because they wanted everything or nothing.” ~ Rand Paul

He also says in that interview that he thinks Republicans can capture a third of the African American vote.

Fugitive Voter Act

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radish posted:

I could see the Republican controlled congresses passing an incredibly watered down immigration reform bill that doesn't make immigrants happy which the Democrats either don't want or can't filibuster and then try and pretend that makes them a friend of Latinos.

No but it's OK the problem has been pointed out so a solution will come. Besides, Rand's just the ideas guy.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

He's the Paul Ryan of civil rights, if you will.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Radish posted:

He says that Majority Leader McConnell is going to allow amendments, which Harry Reid has been blocking. If you believe that will happen, perhaps I can interest you in some bridge-related real estate investments? Also, the problem with immigration reform isn't in the Senate. The Senate already passed immigration reform. The problem is in the House and it's named Steve King, who I'm pretty sure is still going to be there come January.

I do agree with you that the Republicans will probably pass a bill in the next Congress that they will attempt to brand as immigration reform.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Joementum posted:

He says that Majority Leader McConnell is going to allow amendments, which Harry Reid has been blocking. If you believe that will happen, perhaps I can interest you in some bridge-related real estate investments? Also, the problem with immigration reform isn't in the Senate. The Senate already passed immigration reform. The problem is in the House and it's named Steve King, who I'm pretty sure is still going to be there come January.

I do agree with you that the Republicans will probably pass a bill in the next Congress that they will attempt to brand as immigration reform.

They'll definitely be passing some sort of reform. It's too big of a "ha! Look! We can get things done!" opportunity for them to miss. Especially since their voting base aren't in a position to refute the effectiveness of that reform. And if anyone else says "What you passed is poo poo." they'll say, "Hey, you had years to pass something and didn't. The American people wanted something done, so we did something."

They'll take Mr. King out back and have a kind word with him, and he'll fall in line. It'd be a feather in their cap come 2016, and they badly want the White House again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I find the Biden family's drug issues horribly ironic considering Biden himself has been a consistent Drug Warrior going back into the Reagan years.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think the problem with that is that anyone who actually wants immigration reform isn't going to be fooled. It will probably be enough to make Beltway media and pundits gush though.\

FlamingLiberal posted:

I find the Biden family's drug issues horribly ironic considering Biden himself has been a consistent Drug Warrior going back into the Reagan years.

Honestly it really pisses me off since it's a pretty striking example of our two tiered justice system and no one really calls him on it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Radish posted:

I think the problem with that is that anyone who actually wants immigration reform isn't going to be fooled. It will probably be enough to make Beltway media and pundits gush though.

Does most of the country actually care what gets done, though? Or will they be happy that something is getting done? Obviously the people affected won't be fooled, but I feel like there's a massive contingent out there that will be happy that something is getting done, regardless of what it is.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meet, Ron Klain, Chief of Staff to Vice Presidents Gore and Biden, and your new Ebola Czar.

Even though they begged Obama to appoint one, lets start the countdown to Republicans complaining about :derp: CZARS :derp:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
It's Tsar you philistines :argh:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Radish posted:

As others have alluded to, by virtue of having a Republican-led Senate which is all to happy to pass a "Build a wall and throw them all out!" bill after gutting the filibuster. He's not lying that they will pass a bill. It just won't be meaningful reform.

No, the African American vote concept is what's ludicrous.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 17, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SquadronROE posted:

Does most of the country actually care what gets done, though? Or will they be happy that something is getting done? Obviously the people affected won't be fooled, but I feel like there's a massive contingent out there that will be happy that something is getting done, regardless of what it is.

I don't think enough people want it done just for the sake of it. You either care enough about Immigration Reform to want it done at least semi-correctly, you actively oppose it because THEY TOOK OUR JOBS AND THEY'RE STEALING OUR WELFARE, or you don't care at all. I do think you'll hear a lot about how awesome it was that congress actually did something and they deserve a cookie from talking heads but I don't think that will really translate into a higher approval rating or flipped votes.

Also EBOLA TSAR has to be the worst job title.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Who the gently caress tests positive for cocaine? That poo poo's out of your system in like a day or something.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Radish posted:

I don't think enough people want it done just for the sake of it. You either care enough about Immigration Reform to want it done at least semi-correctly, you actively oppose it because THEY TOOK OUR JOBS AND THEY'RE STEALING OUR WELFARE, or you don't care at all. I do think you'll hear a lot about how awesome it was that congress actually did something and they deserve a cookie from talking heads but I don't think that will really translate into a higher approval rating or flipped votes.

Also EBOLA TSAR has to be the worst job title.

True. It might just be deeper support from people who already support them, more hatred from those who don't, and more "meh" from everyone else.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

As others have alluded to, by virtue of having a Republican-led Senate which is all to happy to pass a "Build a wall and throw them all out!" bill after gutting the filibuster. He's not lying that they will pass a bill. It just won't be meaningful reform.

No, the African American vote concept is what's ludicrous.

The whole point of a GOP immigration bill is to stir up their media moan machine.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's Tsar you philistines :argh:

Well shouldn't it actually be Caesar? :v:

BiggerBoat posted:

Who the gently caress tests positive for cocaine? That poo poo's out of your system in like a day or something.

I saw a guy in the army get nailed because he did coke over the weekend and they did a urinalysis on Monday.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe he's doing cocaine every day or got really unlucky.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Joementum posted:

Sure they will. And it will have a "Repeal Obamacare" rider attached to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BiggerBoat posted:

That's why piss tests happen most frequently on Monday mornings.

• Locked thread