Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
The thing is, SE is so open and dynamic you could make your own fun to the next level. So much so he might be able to get exactly what he wants. A bit of roleplay might be needed, maybe waiting for when they put in legit enemies.

Seriously, you can build a base on an asteroid, turn on meteors and let it get bombarded to hell. Explore that, it's loving awesome. This game is probably what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Well, that's strange. I went to the Steam page for Space Engineers to check it out, and it says I already own it. But I don't. It's not in my library, and clicking 'Play Now' from the store page just pops up an 'update news' window with no content. So I can't buy it, and I can't play it. Que?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Submit a ticket. I think that page/game may be bugged for steam. I tried buying the four-pack when it was on sale but it wouldn't let me either.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FredMSloniker posted:

What games are out there that let you build a space station and/or Moon/Marsbase? I already know about KSP; I'm looking for something a little less 'make your own fun'. Like the ancient 'Earth Orbit Stations'.

Startopia is quite excellent.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, the best part of Alpha Protocol is having these big serious cutscenes in which I've changed Michael into Fidel Castro. "I did what I had to do!"

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Startopia is quite excellent.

Seconded

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have a bit of a weird recommendation request. I got a few buddies come over and I might persuade them to play some video games. Thing is, they haven't played games in forever and I'm a bit of a loss at what best to prepare. I only have 1 controller, so it'd have to be something that can be played by switching the controller back and forth and/or that's just fun to see someone else play.

I'm thinking of the Yawgh, but for some different more actiony games I'm at a bit of a loss. Maybe dark souls? I'd say saints row 4 but that game takes a bit to get good...

also: third the startopia comment. A great charming game.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

double nine posted:

I have a bit of a weird recommendation request. I got a few buddies come over and I might persuade them to play some video games. Thing is, they haven't played games in forever and I'm a bit of a loss at what best to prepare. I only have 1 controller, so it'd have to be something that can be played by switching the controller back and forth and/or that's just fun to see someone else play.

I'm thinking of the Yawgh, but for some different more actiony games I'm at a bit of a loss. Maybe dark souls? I'd say saints row 4 but that game takes a bit to get good...

Your non-gaming friends don't want to play games and especially don't want to watch someone else play games! Don't commit social suicide man.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

You're really hamstringing yourself with only one controller.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You can play Fibbage with one controller and everyone else uses their cell phones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

double nine posted:

Assuming you're on 360 or PC, just go drop $30 on a wired xbox360 controller.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

double nine posted:

Mount Your Friends. You take turns and it is hilarious. I think it has hotseat multiplayer?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

Trials Evolution. It's wacky and has dirtbikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cME-MsX51yg

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Buy more controllers or play a Mario Party drinking game. Watching someone fumble around in Dark Souls sounds like the most boring evening ever for a non-gamer.

e: Real answer – get a multiplayer side scroller like Castle Crashers. Even if your friends haven't kept up with modern gaming they surely played Mario or something and should still be able to wrap their brain around a simple game like that.

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 16, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

double nine posted:

"Hey guys I know you don't play many games but lets take turns playing dark souls"

:lol:

That's a terrible idea.

You really just need additional controllers, but for the meantime I second playing something silly like Mario and just trading off on deaths or something. Or watch a movie :cheeky:

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'm looking for more atmospheric games like Year Walk. The game gives me the absolute creeps in a very fresh and new way. I love Penumbra and might look back into Amnesia.

They don't necessarily have to be creepy. Talking about very atmospheric exploration games that are very cerebral and may forgo combat or other intense mechanics. But those mechanics are not necessarily unwelcome. I want rich, original and deep atmosphere that engulfs the player in the world. Even Zeno Clash would be an example.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm looking for more atmospheric games like Year Walk. The game gives me the absolute creeps in a very fresh and new way. I love Penumbra and might look back into Amnesia.

They don't necessarily have to be creepy. Talking about very atmospheric exploration games that are very cerebral and may forgo combat or other intense mechanics. But those mechanics are not necessarily unwelcome. I want rich, original and deep atmosphere that engulfs the player in the world. Even Zeno Clash would be an example.

Give Alien: Isolation a look.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

NeoSeeker posted:

It's been a while since I recommended the Void.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of, if you're into atmosphere keep an eye out for there uh, remake, of Pathologic that is due next year.

And have you tried Knock Knock? It's not for everyone, I can't say that I enjoyed it, but it did do some things well, like atmosphere.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Leper Residue posted:

Speaking of, if you're into atmosphere keep an eye out for there uh, remake, of Pathologic that is due next year.

Wait, this is actually happening? I hadn't heard a peep in years, the forums looked abandoned last time I checked -- I assumed the project was dead.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wait, this is actually happening? I hadn't heard a peep in years, the forums looked abandoned last time I checked -- I assumed the project was dead.

They got a kickstarter that was successfully funded which ended on the 7th, so I hope so.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Leper Residue posted:

And have you tried Knock Knock? It's not for everyone, I can't say that I enjoyed it, but it did do some things well, like atmosphere.

Both are exactly what I'm looking for. Very awesome. I remember when The Void came out because of all the commotion caused by the devs uploading torrents of it. Never got around to playing it and from what I can see the devs totally deserve the money.

I'm waiting for Alien: Isolation's price to drop or for it to go on sale. It's literally at the top of my list. If anything these games are kinda there to pass the time. Although I've had this bug ever since the indie movement got big with Braid and other such games.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 17, 2014

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm waiting for Alien: Isolation's price to drop or for it to go on sale. It's literally at the top of my list. If anything these games are kinda there to pass the time. Although I've had this bug ever since the indie movement got big with Braid and other such games.

On principle I don't buy PC games that cost more that 40 bucks. I find that price increase frustrating, even though it happened a decade ago and it's completely justified, especially for this game.

This, especially when they know they're going to have DLC 2 months after release that they'll charge you for again. unless it's a game I absolutely NEED (GTA, on release, I've avoided even game play videos for over a year, just so I can play on pc release and have a completely new game) and Fallout 4 (If it ever comes out), I'll never pay full price.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Seeing as Alien Isolation is from sega, it's probably not a bad idea to wait, they go pretty aggressive with sales. I'd wait to see what they do for the winter sale.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Leper Residue posted:

Seeing as Alien Isolation is from sega, it's probably not a bad idea to wait, they go pretty aggressive with sales. I'd wait to see what they do for the winter sale.

Probably a good bit of advice. There's usually a pre / christmas sale / post / new year sale or something, right? Maybe even a hallowe'en horror sale?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It's cool to load up the Steam Wishlist with every game you want. Other companies would rather die than make it easy for you to see what's on sale. Instead they would bury it and shove poo poo like blockland in your face.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

itsjustdrew posted:

Probably a good bit of advice. There's usually a pre / christmas sale / post / new year sale or something, right? Maybe even a hallowe'en horror sale?

There's a Halloween sale, and Aliens might be in it, but I wouldn't expect much from that, it's way way too soon.

There's usually a mini black friday type sale but I wouldn't expect too much. No idea of a new year sale. Christmas sale, I'd expect to see at least 25-33%, and since Sega can get crazy maybe even 50%. Sega seems to really understand the "Sell low, sell lots" thing when it comes to pc games. It will get a sale during the winter sale, that isn't even a question, it'll be a front liner, just how much? Who knows?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'll take it even if it's just knocking 5 bucks off the price. It really does seem that good. The only problem I have is it doesn't seem all that replayable.. Who cares though? It's one of the first original AAA-games to come out in years. Just to applaud the devs and publishers for making it happen, I'd forgo principle.

I mean if things keep going the way they are I'd be content with buying new releases for 60 dollars just because the industry got its rear end in gear. Again, what we were promised almost a decade ago is finally happening. I'd rather be glad than mad, just shut up and play the god drat games they said they were going to put out.

I've got a fever. A fever for good video games! And the only prescription, is more video game sales!

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 17, 2014

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Leper Residue posted:

There's a Halloween sale, and Aliens might be in it, but I wouldn't expect much from that, it's way way too soon.

There's usually a mini black friday type sale but I wouldn't expect too much. No idea of a new year sale. Christmas sale, I'd expect to see at least 25-33%, and since Sega can get crazy maybe even 50%. Sega seems to really understand the "Sell low, sell lots" thing when it comes to pc games. It will get a sale during the winter sale, that isn't even a question, it'll be a front liner, just how much? Who knows?

Sounds about right, anything over 33% I'll get it I think.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I've seriously got a fever for games. Especially now with all this super awesome stuff coming out. It's very difficult to keep my list up so I don't have to backtrack later, while keeping my purchase bug in check. Don't want to lose track.

I dunno what it is, this whole "GOTTA HAVE IT NOW" thing. Especially when I already have too many games to play already. The games I want will still be there later and for a lower price.... Posting about it helps, and reminds me my library is freshly well stocked.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 17, 2014

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

NeoSeeker posted:

I've seriously got a fever for games. Especially now with all this super awesome stuff coming out. It's hard to isolate in order to not burn through all my cash when I really want my "to-buy" list to get out of control, while keeping my purchase bug in check.

I dunno what it is, this whole "GOTTA HAVE IT NOW" thing. Especially when I already have too many games to play already. The games I want will still be there later and for a lower price.... Posting about it helps, and reminds me my library is freshly well stocked.

I think it's like women and shoes. MUST HAVE MORE.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Just give me all the video games, right?

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
Something like that. it's like every RPG I play I want one of every item at least. I just want 1 of every game in life.

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

Apologies if this has already been requested..

Are there any games, Story wise, That are similar to spec ops the line.. Because i know spec ops is just a very average third person shooter but what i loved about it was it was released along side modern warfare and battlefield who were "HWARH!! WAR!! YEAAAHHH!!!" and then spec ops came out and took a poo poo all over that

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Zyntherius posted:

Are there any games, Story wise, That are similar to spec ops the line.. Because i know spec ops is just a very average third person shooter but what i loved about it was it was released along side modern warfare and battlefield who were "HWARH!! WAR!! YEAAAHHH!!!" and then spec ops came out and took a poo poo all over that

You could always try MGS or something I suppose, or splinter cell games. I'm trying to think of all the stealthy shooters I can, or do you literally mean story related instead of gaming style?

Zyntherius
Jul 25, 2014

Well i've never really been fond of stealth games. and the only metal gear i tried was i think number 2 on the PS1

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Zyntherius posted:

Bioshock for plot twist, The Void or Vangers for game mechanics that look normal but story gets crazy weird

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm stuck with an old crappy laptop (2 ghz Core 2 and geforce 9300) for the next 2 weeks and need a recommendation for something to play in the evenings. I'm ok with just about anything that I can easily walk away from if something comes up. So no racing games or diablo clones, I guess?

Games I've enjoyed a lot in similiar situations:
Baldur's Gate (and all the infinity engine games at this point)
Pharoah
Alpha Centauri (Was never able to get into Civ 2 or 3 after Alpha Centauri)
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm stuck with an old crappy laptop (2 ghz Core 2 and geforce 9300) for the next 2 weeks and need a recommendation for something to play in the evenings. I'm ok with just about anything that I can easily walk away from if something comes up. So no racing games or diablo clones, I guess?

Games I've enjoyed a lot in similiar situations:
Baldur's Gate (and all the infinity engine games at this point)
Pharoah
Alpha Centauri (Was never able to get into Civ 2 or 3 after Alpha Centauri)
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Dungeons of Dredmore, is like Dungeon Crawl but with a friendlier UI and other nice things.
Zeus, which is like Pharaoh but slightly better.
The classic X-Com games (Enemy Unknown, Terror from the Deep and Apocalypse). Turn based and you can save anytime you wish.
Master of Orion 2, the ultimate sci-fi turn-based 4x strategy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've actually tried Dredmore, the character building was really interesting, but the inventory management and crafting sucked a lot of the fun out of the game.

Loved the old X-Com but I'm too engaged with the new one to go back just yet.

Will definitely add Zeus to the wishlist, but I think it's about time I give MoO a try. Heard a lot about it.