Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

BioTech posted:

Does Fi suck as much as I think? Her YYX takes forever to start and as much as I love the YYYX ramming tons of enemies it just doesn't seem enough.

YXY(X) is good for smashing hero weak points but beware its short range, YYX is hot garbage, YYYX owns use it whenever there's enemies between you and your destination, YYYYX is ok crowd clearing, YYYYYX hits very hard and I think is your best option for giant boss weak points? Fi is fun and very good at killing poo poo on the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So THAT is why I seemed to be blocking attacks automatically!

Well poo poo. I figured I'd be playing Midna all the time when I finally unlocked her but maybe Sheik is the way to be.

Don't worry, Midna is a beast too once you get used to her combo timing.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
It really kind of feels like I'm being told "ok if you REALLY want to use cia you are going to have to WORK for it" because starting at level 1 and then dumping all the weapon upgrades on the rear end end of the map is kinda frustrating.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Anyone get Lana's Tier 3 Gate?

I just tried it and I don't want to assume you have to be maxed level but I really don't understand what the game expects of you. I have a 225 gate, level 58 and nothing dies when I hit it, Lana takes about 7 hearts from getting nicked by everything and she just cannot kill things fast enough- the gold cucco that shows up to eat takes about 4 minutes of it's own even with Argarok summons.

It's just insanity that this level is so poorly designed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

It really kind of feels like I'm being told "ok if you REALLY want to use cia you are going to have to WORK for it" because starting at level 1 and then dumping all the weapon upgrades on the rear end end of the map is kinda frustrating.

And on the flip side, they just give you access to level 2 and 3 Epona for free. You think that'd be the thing (maybe even rank 1 too) they'd make as an unlock in the adventure mode.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm never taking the Hilda outfit off. It's so awesome.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It really isn't, at least in comparison to some of the other ones. Remember, the Gate is an absolute beast at stunlocking enemies and killing them in huge swaths. So what you need to do is focus only on killing what you need to and racking up kills.

To wit: Do Not Pursue Cucco

And here's some more advice I wrote earlier

Regy Rusty posted:

I just got this one today - the biggest tip I have is to not try to fully kill Girahim. It wastes too much time. Get him down to half health and then go for the Aerolfos that's in your base. By the time you kill him, hopefully Impa and the other Aerolfos will have grouped together because what you really want to do is kill them both at once. Since the gate's attacks are all gigantic it's very well suited for fighting multiple enemies at the same time. Once you get them dead, spend a couple minutes racking up kills on the Dinolfos horde, but again don't worry about actually killing them. You just want to weaken them and get your kill count to somewhere in the 900s before charging to the base. I was able to do that in 9 minutes which gave me over 5 to kill Link, which was plenty.

It took me a few tries to get all that down, but you're way higher level than me and I did it with only a 3 star gate, so you should be able to manage it if you use her more powerful combos.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Anyone get Lana's Tier 3 Gate?

I just tried it and I don't want to assume you have to be maxed level but I really don't understand what the game expects of you. I have a 225 gate, level 58 and nothing dies when I hit it, Lana takes about 7 hearts from getting nicked by everything and she just cannot kill things fast enough- the gold cucco that shows up to eat takes about 4 minutes of it's own even with Argarok summons.

A lot of the Tier 3 Missions have some kind of gimmick that you need to identify and overcome to beat it properly. Darunia's drowns you in incoming enemies unless you take enough keeps to hold them back; Ruto's deliberately funnels the entire enemy army through your base's front door; Link's Gloves mission balances out the weapon's overwhelming power by getting you chewed up by all the Poes.

Lana's Gate mission does everything it can to distract you. Ghirahim spawns less than twenty feet away from you at the start and immediately takes off for Sheik, but if you take the time to kill him yourself you'll never be able to finish the mission under 15 minutes. The Gold Cucco is totally harmless until you happen to cross its path, but the game keeps screaming at you to drop everything and fight it, which is time-wasting and suicidal. The Gate itself is horrible for weak-point breaks, making officers take forever to whittle down.

What you need to do is intercept Ghirahim at the start and take down his health by about half or so, which will allow Sheik to finish the job. If you can kill his little Dinolfos retinue, so much the better. As for Impa, the best way to beat down officers with the Gate is to always spam Y attacks whenever they're not exposing their weak points. Deku Baba does huge damage if it's not guarded and both Argorok and his special combo let you chew up life bars like crazy. You need to either kill Impa or leave her at death's door, because she'll just take the keep herself otherwise. Take out the Aerolfos the same way and then spare a minute or two to butcher all the reinforcements heading into your base - it'll get you really close to the 1200 kill mark and keep your base from being overwhelmed while you take out Link. There's like half a dozen Dinolfos in that platoon, Agitha won't stand a chance alone.

And do not pursue Cucco.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Huh, just noticed that Cia's left handed. Figure that's a coincidence, or that she trained herself to be more like senpai?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Oxxidation posted:

The Gate itself is horrible for weak-point breaks, making officers take forever to whittle down.

I'd like to disagree with this a little bit. Stand right next to the guy with the weak point gauge and press X; the gate launches them and does a good amount of gauge damage, and if you get Manhandla or Ghoma out of it it instantly breaks them by juggling. I think Dodongo can do it too, but I don't recall seeing it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'd like to disagree with this a little bit. Stand right next to the guy with the weak point gauge and press X; the gate launches them and does a good amount of gauge damage, and if you get Manhandla or Ghoma out of it it instantly breaks them by juggling. I think Dodongo can do it too, but I don't recall seeing it.

I kept trying that but I could never land it in time. Of course, it doesn't help that the two main officers in that mission are Link and Impa and most of their specials have a big AOE.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Oxxidation posted:

I kept trying that but I could never land it in time. Of course, it doesn't help that the two main officers in that mission are Link and Impa and most of their specials have a big AOE.

With those two you're pretty safe behind them. Water ball, kunai rain and sword barrage from Impa only really hit in front of her. Link's Skyward strike and charging attack also send him forwards.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
What are some good adventure mode levels to farm Link or Argorok?

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Last night I finally got the gate and immediatly went to the level 2 mission without ever using it before. Thing takes some getting used to but thats every character cept Link who just facerolls everything. First couple tries I took way to much damage as I was learning the dang thing. Finally got the hang of it and what it could do but completed the mission with 15:06 on the time. I love this game for brutally murdering my hope and dreams.

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009
I tried Midna's level 3 weapon mission last night after clearing the new Legend missions. My first try, I just got the heart container and piece and the skulltula while getting an idea of what I should expect when trying for that A rank. Holy poo poo, your army seems to be especially bad this time around. I'll get it, though. It doesn't seem nearly as bad as the level 2 baton or level 3 gauntlets missions.

Cia mind controlling Volga and Wizzro made that Link body pillow comic even funnier.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Oxxidation posted:

You can pretty much get by with Lana using strong attacks and nothing else against captains. The attack itself has sick knockback and once you push them into a corner, dropping bosses on their faces does a ton of damage that they basically can't block.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Can confirm

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PureRok posted:

What are some good adventure mode levels to farm Link or Argorok?

There's a mission near the top with 2 Argaroks that you can clear pretty fast, and for Link doing the Palace of the Soul gives you 5 links to fight.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Oxyclean posted:

And on the flip side, they just give you access to level 2 and 3 Epona for free. You think that'd be the thing (maybe even rank 1 too) they'd make as an unlock in the adventure mode.

Where do you get rank 2 and 3 epona??

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Where do you get rank 2 and 3 epona??

You don't need to unlock them like other characters rank 2/3s - you just need to get a drop.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

You don't need to unlock them like other characters rank 2/3s - you just need to get a drop.

That's dumb I like unlocking things.

Thus why I'm stubbornly avoiding Volga's level 3 weapon until I get his level 2, despite people saying his level 3 is easy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Thus why I'm stubbornly avoiding Volga's level 3 weapon until I get his level 2, despite people saying his level 3 is easy.

The unlock for the level 2 doesn't go away if you unlock the level 3 version :v: I unlocked the level 2 fairy before the level 1 - just meant I didn't see any level 1 drops till I got it.

I'm finding it a bit tough though, Darunia gets overwhelmed by turncoat dudes though Im clearing them out from time to time. Might just need to give him a few more levels so I can push through the mission a bit faster.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

It's not really that bad using a new character from scratch. There's level scaling that makes anything that isn't specifically marked as arbitrary level 4 or 14 or whatever possible to tackle with even fresh characters. Like I didn't have any issues with using any of the new characters fresh out of the box on the new adventure map. I actually even kind of preferred it, since my other already leveled characters just trivially blow through the starting maps.

And if you want to shortcut a lot of levels there's always just throwing a mountain of rupees at them.

Also Volga needs basically nothing to feel like a god.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 17, 2014

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
All Attacks Are Devestating, No Attack Items.

gently caress.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

gently caress.

Ruto. :angel:

Also Wizro I guess???

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

gently caress.

Sheik.

Water shield + electrical shield.

The End.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

Ruto. :angel:

Also Wizro I guess???

Zelda w/ Baton.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is it my imagination, or did I see a "all attacks are devastating, don't take damage" mission?

Also, already not a fan of "Don't take damage" - I got one for a "kill the enemies" mission that ends with a battle with a poe, agitha and midna.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Those would be great solutions, but it's hardlocked to Cia unfortunately.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Is it my imagination, or did I see a "all attacks are devastating, don't take damage" mission?

Devastating attacks are not an insta-kill, they just take you down to minimal health so that makes sense.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Devastating attacks are not an insta-kill, they just take you down to minimal health so that makes sense.

But the same case is for "don't take damage" missions, I took several hits on one because I was able to pick up a few hearts between hits. Granted I didn't finish the mission but I assume it's like the devastating attacks thing where you're guaranteed to get a B/C in damage taken.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
One of the testaments to what a good game this is is the fact that everyone in the thread seems to have different preferences for characters they like to play as. Yeah, Ganondorf is the obvious shitkicker, but there's some chars that I feel like a flailing idiot with when other people are posting in the thread about how good they are. They definitely did a great job with the character selection.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Master Quest DLC is pretty good. I like that Cia's Story doesn't make her look like any less of a pathetic loser.

(She's real fun to play as though, but Volga is way better.)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
This is Omega Force. The company that has made roughly 56+ movesets, all of which SOMEONE likes.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Regy Rusty posted:

TBH, I'd prefer if you didn't have to unlock rank 2 and 3's of a weapon. Unlocking the weapon and then having rank 2's and 3's have a chance to drop would be much more preferable.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Psyker posted:

TBH, I'd prefer if you didn't have to unlock rank 2 and 3's of a weapon. Unlocking the weapon and then having rank 2's and 3's have a chance to drop would be much more preferable.

I want the opposite - for the weapon drop system to be completely reworked to be less grindy and weapon unlocks to be immediate and permanent upgrades.

You should have to work for it to get better weapons, but not through grinding for random drops. That's boring!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Naerasa posted:

One of the testaments to what a good game this is is the fact that everyone in the thread seems to have different preferences for characters they like to play as. Yeah, Ganondorf is the obvious shitkicker, but there's some chars that I feel like a flailing idiot with when other people are posting in the thread about how good they are. They definitely did a great job with the character selection.

Yeah, for me the only ones that really fall flat are Zant and Darunia. Zant is very Zant-y but just not terribly effective. Darunia I just find kind of boring since his attacks are all really similar and slow. Pretty much everyone else is effective and has something cool about them.

Shiek is stil boring due to being overpowered though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dude Darunia is so good. His YYYX eats hordes for breakfast and the moment a non-giant boss has their weakpoint open, default X attack will completely obliterate it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Darunia is pretty awesome, I just unlocked his lv 2 hammer and he kills so many dudes at once it's crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Naerasa posted:

And to continue the variance in character preference, I don't like Ganondorf much. His combo finishers are slow as gently caress and his bar takes a long time to fill unless you stand there like an rear end in a top hat wasting time. I just played the Baton for the first time and really like it, and so far I like the Deku Spear more than the Gate.

• Locked thread