Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
There's a few other cities of a smaller scale that have well preserved ruins. Check out this amphitheater in El-Djem, Tunisia.

It's like a mini coliseum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

It's neat that you can go in the centre. The Colosseum in Rome was a let down for that reason, but to be fair I'd never looked at photos of the inside before I went.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Destroying ancient historical sites? I wasn't sure before, but that seals it. ISIS is no good.

Obviously ISIS is vile for far more immediate reasons than destroying history, it's just an additional layer to their shittiness.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Destroying ancient historical sites? I wasn't sure before, but that seals it. ISIS is no good.

Worse than the Protestants, I reckon.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Mustang posted:

There's a few other cities of a smaller scale that have well preserved ruins. Check out this amphitheater in El-Djem, Tunisia.

It's like a mini coliseum.

I've been there, about 8 or 9 years ago and its stunningly well preserved. Probably due to all the dry desert sands and whatever secret blend of minerals and spices that also keeps the pyramids a thing after so long.

You can go under neath through the cells\rooms and see the special entrance rising platforms, 200AD special effects. Around the edges, where the audience would walk there is loads of graffiti to, ranging from Roman -> Victorian at around which point they decided to stop letting people carve into it.

Depending on the current political situation and which passport(s) you hold North Africa has some awesome old Roman stuff kicking around.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Jeoh posted:

Worse than the Protestants, I reckon.

I'll never forgive the Copts for burning down the Library of Alexandria. :argh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah there are lots of individual well preserved ruins, and places like Rome itself that have a number spread around, but there aren't very many where it's a whole city more or less unspoiled except by time. One of my professors told a story of going to Palmyra, nobody ever visits it so he was literally the only person there. There weren't guards or anything, you could go wherever. He sat down in the middle of that long street of columns and watched the sun set and stars come out over the city, said it was a totally magical experience.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As far as science fiction goes, how good is the history in Lest Darkness Fall?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah there are lots of individual well preserved ruins, and places like Rome itself that have a number spread around, but there aren't very many where it's a whole city more or less unspoiled except by time. One of my professors told a story of going to Palmyra, nobody ever visits it so he was literally the only person there. There weren't guards or anything, you could go wherever. He sat down in the middle of that long street of columns and watched the sun set and stars come out over the city, said it was a totally magical experience.

Nothing last forever, I suppose. :smith:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Regarding Roman plumbing. We know that they had public baths and fountains for general hygiene and convenience, but what about indoor residential plumbing? I know that consul's homes, Nero's palace, and other elites had running water in their homes, but what about the general landed-gentry and wealthy? How common was it for some rich Roman who just bought an old villa to tap into the cities water supply, how was this done, managed, if ever?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep, wealthy homes in cities commonly had running water and indoor plumbing. I don't know what the management was, I suspect not much because aqueducts typically supplied more water than the city needed. Even in huge cities like Rome; it had multiple aqueducts but there was plenty of water. Water scarcity is a modern thing, there just weren't enough people back then. I suppose desert cities may have had some sort of rationing, but nowhere that had major cities in the empire was all that dry. They're all along the Mediterranean more or less.

I'm sure there was some sort of management but I don't think we have records from the water company or anything. I don't think poorer people's houses had plumbing, they had to go to public latrines and fountains. But there might've been some higher class apartment buildings that offered it as a feature to charge more rent? I'm just speculating but it seems entirely reasonable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm sure there was some sort of management but I don't think we have records from the water company or anything.

We do, actually! First century.

quote:

With such an array of indispensable structures carrying so many waters, compare, if you will, the idle Pyramids or the useless, though famous, works of the Greeks!
Funny thing is, in the 1400s they restored it to debug Renaissance Rome's water systems.

Full translation here.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep, wealthy homes in cities commonly had running water and indoor plumbing. I don't know what the management was, I suspect not much because aqueducts typically supplied more water than the city needed. Even in huge cities like Rome; it had multiple aqueducts but there was plenty of water. Water scarcity is a modern thing, there just weren't enough people back then. I suppose desert cities may have had some sort of rationing, but nowhere that had major cities in the empire was all that dry. They're all along the Mediterranean more or less.

I'm sure there was some sort of management but I don't think we have records from the water company or anything. I don't think poorer people's houses had plumbing, they had to go to public latrines and fountains. But there might've been some higher class apartment buildings that offered it as a feature to charge more rent? I'm just speculating but it seems entirely reasonable.

I can't track it down right now, but conversely I remember reading that Roman authorities were always having to track down unofficial private taps on the water network. Everyone wanted to run personal pipelines into their houses, but the officials didn't allow it (possibly because of throughput concerns). I think I heard about it in the discussion of Roman lead piping, because that's what was used and private residences were particularly vulnerable to the effects of lead poisoning.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if people were trying to steal water. You wouldn't be able to charge by usage with a meter or anything, I'd guess they just didn't want people breaking the thing. Maybe you had to pay a yearly tax to have running water? That would be doable.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Kaal posted:

I can't track it down right now, but conversely I remember reading that Roman authorities were always having to track down unofficial private taps on the water network. Everyone wanted to run personal pipelines into their houses, but the officials didn't allow it (possibly because of throughput concerns).

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those taps were, erm, downstream upstream from the aquaduct.

e: Way to ruin my own joke. :cripes:

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 17, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Gaj posted:

How common was it for some rich Roman who just bought an old villa to tap into the cities water supply, how was this done, managed, if ever?

Adding to what Fromage said (e: and everyone in between his first reply to you and now), management of the distribution of water from aqueducts was a challenge that had to be dealt with. Rich people - particularly in the city, without the possibility of a good independent supply, though country villa owners did it too - could pay to tap an aqueduct with a pipe of a certain breadth and so have water for their house. The power to grant such a tap was pretty quickly brought under personal control of the emperors, under Claudius while he was working on the Claudia and the Novus Anio. Issues included an illegal widening of your tap beyond the amount you'd paid for, and outright tapping without a grant, to the extent that a fine of 100,000 sestertii plus restoration work was levied against offenders.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if people were trying to steal water. You wouldn't be able to charge by usage with a meter or anything, I'd guess they just didn't want people breaking the thing. Maybe you had to pay a yearly tax to have running water? That would be doable.

Yearly charge based on the radius of the pipe, it seems.

It seems they tried to meter the overall water to find people stealing it, but they didn't really understand fluid dynamics.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Welp that's way more than I ever knew about the water system. Neat that records of such little things survived.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

nutranurse posted:

I'll never forgive the Copts for burning down the Library of Alexandria. :argh:

I've read somewhere that the burning of the librairy was either accidental, or someone misinterpreting orders. Any truth to these claims, or records that explains what happened?

It was also my understanding that this had happened when Ceasar took control of Egypt, or around that period. I browsed Wikipedia regarding this, and they speak of 4 events that might be when the librairy was destroyed.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Dalael posted:

I've read somewhere that the burning of the librairy was either accidental, or someone misinterpreting orders. Any truth to these claims, or records that explains what happened?

It was also my understanding that this had happened when Ceasar took control of Egypt, or around that period. I browsed Wikipedia regarding this, and they speak of 4 events that might be when the librairy was destroyed.

Nobody's really sure what happened, but part of the library was damaged during Caesar's siege in Alexandria. The actual library itself disappears from history after a roman general burned down part of Alexandria during some riots in the 300's.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think it got burned down several times.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Christians killing Hypatia is certain at least.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

At the risk of bringing up something that's already been covered:

How was legion, auxiliary, and cavalry recruitment handled throughout the Roman era? Say I, Bobbus Dinosaurus, wanted to enlist in the legion. Would I go to the nearest fort and ask to see the commander? Would I simply be conscripted when a war broke out, being dragged from my home by men with swords? Were there recruitment centers?

I recall that to go anywhere politically one had to have served in the army: serve with distinguish and acclaim, too. So maybe not everybody got press-ganged into it?
edit: I can imagine that it fell in line with economic classes and castes but I'm in the dark with how that would have played out.

frogge fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 18, 2014

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well, during the Republic until the Marian reforms all land owners had to serve (and non landowners could not serve), had to furnish their own equipment, and didn't get paid. Afterward I'm less sure but they started paying them and you didn't have to have land anymore.

Also later on when a group was subjugated they would be required to provide a certain number of soldiers each year, although a lot of people wanted to join because A) being in the army wasn't that dangerous, B) it was one of very few ways to make money if you weren't a skilled laborer, and C) after 25 years (I think) you got citizenship.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

At least for auxiliaries, lots of Western tribes had long traditions of Joe McGaul being a client-dependent of his local aristocrat. That would translate into a share of the harvest, but also into picking up a spear when it was time to go rough up the next tribe over. Mercenary service for the Greeks and Persians had also been a thing for centuries, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to see the local lord come by promising loot, pay and some new fangled citizenship stuff. He'd be their officer too in the legions (I think it was only later that Rome started insisting on all Roman leadership?), so it was easily adapted to peoples' usual social structure.

I'd be interested to know how it went down in the East, though, with such a different culture. Lots of the cities there had small concessions of independence and alliance with Rome - so I guess it would be dressed up as ~free citizens~ helping their city's allies?

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 19, 2014

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Recruitment, and everything else, about the Roman army changed dramatically over the centuries. The system after Marius and through the Empire's peak wasn't much different than a lot of armies today, really: volunteers who signed up for long term service.

If you wanted to join, you'd find a recruiter, who'd be traveling around looking for men. Assuming you passed the height and health checks (and maybe a character check?) you were in. You'd get a signing bonus and march off to join your new legion, where you'd go through some basic training before officially joining. If you lived through the 20 years of service, you'd get to retire with a cash bonus or a piece of land.

Now, if you were a young aristocrat during the Republic, and needed to start a political career, you probably didn't join the army, officially. Instead, you used family and friends connections, and arranged to serve on the staff of some general. Your duties could be anything he wanted them to be, from running messages (you brought a good horse, right?) to actually getting to command something (if you really, really, really impressed him). Once you'd put in your time, and hopefully gained a little reputation and glory, you'd go back to Rome and stand for election.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Weren't essentially all generals during the Republican period career politicians anyway? Particularly in the early Republic the army was always supposed to be led by the Consuls, while in the late Republic governorships and military commands were still handed out men of political standing; the very title Praetor implies that you're a dude of standing to begin with.

Using the word 'General' in the Roman context just seems wrong somehow. On both accounts I guess, given the whole 2000 years of existence thing. :v:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BurningStone posted:

Now, if you were a young aristocrat during the Republic, and needed to start a political career, you probably didn't join the army, officially. Instead, you used family and friends connections, and arranged to serve on the staff of some general. Your duties could be anything he wanted them to be, from running messages (you brought a good horse, right?) to actually getting to command something (if you really, really, really impressed him). Once you'd put in your time, and hopefully gained a little reputation and glory, you'd go back to Rome and stand for election.

If you really pissed him off, he'd send you to command a unit in the worst of the fighting. Of course, if you lived, you were a hero. This is how Caesar earned his famous laurels - he commanded a unit of notorious hard-cases in the middle of a siege on the island of Lesbos.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I cant remember where I read it but I remember reading how young aristocratic Romans would be expected to join as cavalry for a few years somewhere in the 16-20 years age before going back to Rome to continue their political education/career.

No idea how right this is since I cant even remember where I read it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Goons don't like to talk about Equestrians.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I cant remember where I read it but I remember reading how young aristocratic Romans would be expected to join as cavalry for a few years somewhere in the 16-20 years age before going back to Rome to continue their political education/career.

No idea how right this is since I cant even remember where I read it.

Not really? Like BurningStone said, you probably would need a good horse at one time or another during your time in the military as a young politician-in-training but the tasks you mostly faced would be political/administrative ones unless you were a real hotshot.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Was there ever a black roman senator? Iirc there were some Germans inducted senators under Julius Caesar.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Was there ever a black roman senator? Iirc there were some Germans inducted senators under Julius Caesar.

There's plenty of attestation to senators out of Africa, including the Severan dynasty. The extent to which some/any of these people were 'black' in whatever sense you mean that is perhaps less secure* but I imagine at least one would fit criteria you're thinking of.

*Septimus Severus' busts don't immediately set him apart as being of a different ethnicity to most of the other emperors, for example; on the other hand, the Severan tondo gives him noticeably darker skin than his wife or sons.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

No way to know for sure, but its totally plausible and probably did happen. The ancient world was not racist in the same way we are now. If a black dude was born in the Empire, he was Roman, and if things worked out right, sure he could be a senator. That's not to claim the Romans were morally superior, they just used different qualities of people to determine who to be discriminatory towards.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

No way to know for sure, but its totally plausible and probably did happen. The ancient world was not racist in the same way we are now. If a black dude was born in the Empire, he was Roman, and if things worked out right, sure he could be a senator. That's not to claim the Romans were morally superior, they just used different qualities of people to determine who to be discriminatory towards.

If there's 2 things I noticed about history, is that it tends to repeat itself, and people do not really change.

I am willing to bet, today's racism may not be /that/ different from what it was back then. People may very well have been citizen of the Empire, it doesn't mean that they were accepted by everyone. Just like 2 people of different race/color/whateverdifference may have been born in the same country today yet still hate the other one's race.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dalael posted:

If there's 2 things I noticed about history, is that it tends to repeat itself, and people do not really change.

I am willing to bet, today's racism may not be /that/ different from what it was back then. People may very well have been citizen of the Empire, it doesn't mean that they were accepted by everyone. Just like 2 people of different race/color/whateverdifference may have been born in the same country today yet still hate the other one's race.

See the chain of events that led the Sack of Rome.

And all the genocide and imperialism makes them rather squarely racist.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dalael posted:

I do not think anyone here would bet money on no racial discrimination happening, but there is not much evidence of it AFAIK. They were really busy hating non-Romans, slaves, actors, women, people with long hair, people with mustaches, people who wore pants, etc etc etc.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

See the chain of events that led the Sack of Rome.

And all the genocide and imperialism makes them rather squarely racist.

By today's use of the word racist that would not really count. The Goths and Vandals were of similar ethnicity to tons of Roman citizens, had the same religion, the same color skin as the majority, and were culturally familiar with them due to serving in the legions.

They did horrible things, just with different motivations then the Ku Klux Klan or Hitler.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 20, 2014

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I do not think anyone here would bet money on no racial discrimination happening, but there is not much evidence of it AFAIK. They were really busy hating non-Romans, slaves, actors, women, people with long hair, people with mustaches, people who wore pants, etc etc etc.

By today's use of the word racist that would not really count. The Goths and Vandals were of similar ethnicity to tons of Roman citizens, had the same religion, the same color skin as the majority, and were culturally familiar with them due to serving in the legions.

They did horrible things, just with different motivations then the Ku Klux Klan or Hitler.

Yeah, it's more like it does not seem like the colour of your skin was that important, or at all.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Although, during the Gothic war, they did massacre friendly Goths, just to be on the safe side. Which seems like they did have a conception that Gothic-Roman was not the same as "true Roman".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well today racism means discrimination based on not only skin color but ethnicity and national background so it gets complicated.

In my opinion Romans and esp upper class romans were racist as gently caress.