Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
Two years ago, I started a Ghost Master LP on a forum, but I immediately abandoned it because it got literally zero attention despite a good number of effortposts. As a result, I only got to LP the intro and the first level.

I was considering doing the LP here from start to finish, but I wanted an opinion on the format of the LP, which is a subtitled video. Do I make a proper test post? Since I'm not sure whether I should keep that LP style or not, I was considering simply linking to the video so that I can get feedback on whether the style works or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Crain posted:

Alright, finished re-everything-ing my first episode again. I'm happier with it. I decided that I'm going to just read through the data logs in the game and then also post the text and images in the thread. And you know what I'm having more fun with it this way.

So let me know what you think. One thing though: I'm not really sure how to end the segments. I just say "see ya in the next episode" here and that's it. I dunno, feels like there should be something more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luCUHb5Seh0
Yeah, usually just summarizing is a good way to go. Like the first log can be you saying 'This log briefly goes over how the ship came under attack and outlines some key places we're going to be visiting'. Like blind sally said, unless you're Morgan Freeman or something, it doesn't really pay off to have you read the text (though take that for the opinion it is and if you feel more comfortable doing it that way then that's cool). I still feel though that there's some disconnect between when you finish with the main menu and going into the game. I'm not sure if this is just how the game gets it's story across, but I mean Doom had a text dump at the start and Duke Nukem crash lands; why does Marathon start in a seemingly random corridor and who are we?

xeose4 posted:

Two years ago, I started a Ghost Master LP on a forum, but I immediately abandoned it because it got literally zero attention despite a good number of effortposts. As a result, I only got to LP the intro and the first level.

I was considering doing the LP here from start to finish, but I wanted an opinion on the format of the LP, which is a subtitled video. Do I make a proper test post? Since I'm not sure whether I should keep that LP style or not, I was considering simply linking to the video so that I can get feedback on whether the style works or not.
If you want some feedback on a video, then I'd say go crazy with posting it in here. But yeah, something visually or representative of what you want to do would be necessary to make an honest opinion of if it would work.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Niggurath posted:

I'm not sure if this is just how the game gets it's story across, but I mean Doom had a text dump at the start and Duke Nukem crash lands; why does Marathon start in a seemingly random corridor and who are we?

That's just how the game seems to be. You press 'new game', there's a splash image of the landing pod with the level name "Arrival" (which OBS doesn't seem to want to pick up), and then you start.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, usually just summarizing is a good way to go. Like the first log can be you saying 'This log briefly goes over how the ship came under attack and outlines some key places we're going to be visiting'. Like blind sally said, unless you're Morgan Freeman or something, it doesn't really pay off to have you read the text (though take that for the opinion it is and if you feel more comfortable doing it that way then that's cool). I still feel though that there's some disconnect between when you finish with the main menu and going into the game. I'm not sure if this is just how the game gets it's story across, but I mean Doom had a text dump at the start and Duke Nukem crash lands; why does Marathon start in a seemingly random corridor and who are we?

I'm a fringe case, but I don't mind when LPers read logs (if the logs themselves are kind of interesting, or at least short) because I'm generally lying in bed and hate getting up to pause the video, but summarizing the logs is a really good middle ground.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You absolutely can not read the Marathon logs though. After about 4 levels they start to be garbled and shakespeare quotes and such, not to mention how many there are. If you hit each one and recorded them you'd be recording for a week straight.

edit: Also your mouse speed is really high for recording, and your frame rate is pretty unsteady.

Also the starting area thing, there's a huge plot dump in the manual that explains why you start where you do, and sets up multiple characters in the story that you really should have in your OP.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 15, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I agree that if you need to put your voice to work at all, stick to a summary. The vast majority of viewers (myself included) will finish reading the text in their mind ages before you finish speaking, and we end up sitting there and waiting for you to finish reciting.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Elliotw2 posted:

You absolutely can not read the Marathon logs though. After about 4 levels they start to be garbled and shakespeare quotes and such, not to mention how many there are. If you hit each one and recorded them you'd be recording for a week straight.

edit: Also your mouse speed is really high for recording, and your frame rate is pretty unsteady.

Yeah I realized that when I started to read a damned budget memo at one point. I'll re-edit it to just a summary, but I'll keep some of the shorter ones. They can be funny.

Also the interface for mouse speed is really bad. It does about as well as it can for how old it is, but there's no good mouse setting I either have really, really slow tracking or hyper fast movement. There also seems to be some kind of built in mouse acceleration that I can't turn off.

Also I see what you mean with the frame rate. I didn't see that in my recordings or render, maybe youtube did something or I need to do a better encoding.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I strongly suggest turning off Vsync at the least, and maybe even the HD texture pack while you're recording. Aleph One's vsync implementation is awkward and makes the mouse feel worse. There is some mouse acceleration because the engine is designed to be 100% accurate to the Macintosh original.

I will also highly recommend that you play M1A1 instead of the original Marathon 1, if only because a few of the godawful 90's as gently caress puzzles later are less terrible or bypassed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

I strongly suggest turning off Vsync at the least, and maybe even the HD texture pack while you're recording. Aleph One's vsync implementation is awkward and makes the mouse feel worse. There is some mouse acceleration because the engine is designed to be 100% accurate to the Macintosh original.

I will also highly recommend that you play M1A1 instead of the original Marathon 1, if only because a few of the godawful 90's as gently caress puzzles later are less terrible or bypassed.

By M1A1 I assume you mean the Aleph 1 port?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

xeose4 posted:

I don't think subtitle videos are overly popular, but some people like them. Link the video here, people will tell you how to improve it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Crain posted:

By M1A1 I assume you mean the Aleph 1 port?

Yes, but as of January Aleph One comes with the original Marathon files. If you have a marathon.appl file you're running the original and Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap! will end with you eating a bullet. If you don't have it, here's a link since they apparently pulled it from simp7icity.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Yes, but as of January Aleph One comes with the original Marathon files. If you have a marathon.appl file you're running the original and Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap! will end with you eating a bullet. If you don't have it, here's a link since they apparently pulled it from simp7icity.

I'm using the aleph one files taken from here: http://marathon.sourceforge.net/. Are these the same files?

Also I did go into the graphics options and fiddled around with turning vsync off and mouse accel (I missed that option initially) and it controls much better. Still a little choppy but better.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They're different, and it's an important difference.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

They're different, and it's an important difference.

Ok, I swap the files then. I assume when you mean "eat a bullet" you mean that the level is unbeatable.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Niggurath posted:

If you want some feedback on a video, then I'd say go crazy with posting it in here. But yeah, something visually or representative of what you want to do would be necessary to make an honest opinion of if it would work.

corn in the bible posted:

I don't think subtitle videos are overly popular, but some people like them. Link the video here, people will tell you how to improve it.

All right, here are the videos I made: Intro and Haunting 101.

Should I stick to the format or redo them? I wanted to preserve the audio of the game and the quirky atmosphere it brings (especially as things get crazier and crazier), and I am also just not convinced my voice would add anything of quality to the LP, but I am willing to do a narration if people think it's better than subtitles.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, usually just summarizing is a good way to go. Like the first log can be you saying 'This log briefly goes over how the ship came under attack and outlines some key places we're going to be visiting'.
Yeah, but a lot of the logs latter on are quite a bit more exciting, and reading them in the thread / with a pause misses the experience.

I kinda want to see a really bombastic reading of:

Give me a D.
Give me a U.
Give me an R.
Give me an A.
Give me an N.
Give me a D.
Give me an A.
Give me an L.

What does it spell?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, but a lot of the logs latter on are quite a bit more exciting, and reading them in the thread / with a pause misses the experience.

I kinda want to see a really bombastic reading of:

Give me a D.
Give me a U.
Give me an R.
Give me an A.
Give me an N.
Give me a D.
Give me an A.
Give me an L.

What does it spell?

I'm gonna play it by ear, at least for the data terminals that aren't mission based. The Leela mission logs I'll just summarize.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a preferred way to describe directions in an isometric game? Notheast/northwest? Upper left/upper right?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Is there a preferred way to describe directions in an isometric game? Notheast/northwest? Upper left/upper right?

That, this, and the other way.

Serious post: I'd go with north/south/etc. Unless there is a better in game direction system.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I'd do either northeast/southwest/etc or, if you want to tilt the compass so that your corners are NSEW, put that in the OP with maybe a diagram. Really, anything will probably be okay as long as you explain what you're doing.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Usually those games will have directions skewed so that north is in upper left or upper right. Be sure you know if the game does this before you start using compass directions, or you might get many confused posts.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

xeose4 posted:

All right, here are the videos I made: Intro and Haunting 101.

Should I stick to the format or redo them? I wanted to preserve the audio of the game and the quirky atmosphere it brings (especially as things get crazier and crazier), and I am also just not convinced my voice would add anything of quality to the LP, but I am willing to do a narration if people think it's better than subtitles.

Pretty good technically but as citb pointed out, subtitles are typically reserved for atmosphere-heavy games like Bioshock while more comical games like this tend to do better with voice commentary. If you're not sure, try a commentary version of Haunting 101 and see how well that works.

You can also try what BigTUnit1 attempted to do with his Bioshock Infinite LP and have both a subtitle and voice commentary version so people can choose the style they want.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I was thinking about doing a Ghost Master LP myself, and what I figured I'd do was get a partner for voice commentary. Ghost Master is the kind of game that has a lot of decision making involved, and things like that are much more easily explained when you have somebody to bounce explanations off of, especially for some of the later levels, which are just bonkers in how complicated they can get (the very last bonus level, anyone?). Find somebody interested in management/strategy games, the supernatural, or both. Also, do some reading up on the supernatural yourself, because some of the later levels have quite some downtime, and while you could edit it out, I'd figure it would be a much better opportunity to talk about all the stuff the game draws inspiration from. Phantom of the Operating Room in particular has a very large amount of downtime if you go for 100%.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TheMcD posted:

Also, do some reading up on the supernatural yourself, because some of the later levels have quite some downtime, and while you could edit it out, I'd figure it would be a much better opportunity to talk about all the stuff the game draws inspiration from.
It's less "supernatural" and more "horror movies".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

SelenicMartian posted:

It's less "supernatural" and more "horror movies".

I'm not too well versed in those, so I probably just missed out on a lot of the source material there apart from the obvious stuff. I stand corrected.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
There are definite horror genre elements and themes to it but there also some straight-up supernatural things like cetain ghost classes and some of the later ghosts themselves so having knowledge on both would be good.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Chimera-gui posted:

There are definite horror genre elements and themes to it but there also some straight-up supernatural things like cetain ghost classes and some of the later ghosts themselves so having knowledge on both would be good.

Given that all that "supernatural" stuff falls into the category of fiction, it's fair to assign it all to the horror genre.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Pretty good technically but as citb pointed out, subtitles are typically reserved for atmosphere-heavy games like Bioshock while more comical games like this tend to do better with voice commentary. If you're not sure, try a commentary version of Haunting 101 and see how well that works.

You can also try what BigTUnit1 attempted to do with his Bioshock Infinite LP and have both a subtitle and voice commentary version so people can choose the style they want.

Ahh, that does make sense. I may still have the old unedited video file for the gameplay, I could try a voice commentary and post it here for review.

TheMcD posted:

I was thinking about doing a Ghost Master LP myself, and what I figured I'd do was get a partner for voice commentary. Ghost Master is the kind of game that has a lot of decision making involved, and things like that are much more easily explained when you have somebody to bounce explanations off of, especially for some of the later levels, which are just bonkers in how complicated they can get (the very last bonus level, anyone?). Find somebody interested in management/strategy games, the supernatural, or both. Also, do some reading up on the supernatural yourself, because some of the later levels have quite some downtime, and while you could edit it out, I'd figure it would be a much better opportunity to talk about all the stuff the game draws inspiration from. Phantom of the Operating Room in particular has a very large amount of downtime if you go for 100%.

That's a brilliant idea, thank you!

I could definitely get a friend to co-commentate with me, and that would be far more interesting and dynamic than simply me. The game has so many references to horror movies and even to supernatural myth (the entire concept of Manes, for example).

EDIT: Turns out my friend declined the offer and I don't really have anyone else who is both witty and educated, so I'm officially asking any goons who like the idea to hit me up via the email in my profile and let me know if you'd like to do this with me.

xeose4 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 17, 2014

pigster
Dec 15, 2009

Hi everyone just wondering if there was a halo 2 lets play for me to read and have fun to.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

pigster posted:

Hi everyone just wondering if there was a halo 2 lets play for me to read and have fun to.

Well I did one of both games on the PC a couple of years ago. Only subtitles though so be aware of that.
http://lparchive.org/Halo-2/
Also you have to go through the Internet archives for the videos as both the hosts used there are long gone.
Really been meaning to upload all those videos to YT at some point.

In hindsight there is a lot of stuff I did wrong with that LP. Such as talking way too much. :blush:
Had there been an incling of a possibility that Halo 3 would be coming out on PC I'd almost love to redo those from scratch.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've made an intro video for the Knights in the Nightmare LP and am working on the forum post. I'd like you guys to please check out the intro and let me know how the volume is this time. I think it sounds alright, but I also thought my previous one sounded ok and most people indicated that it was too quiet. So what I'd like people to comment on are:

1) can you hear my voice, and can you understand what I'm saying
2) can you hear the music

So here it is. Note, my voice starts at 1:55. I think it sounds alright, but just in case, be prepared for a volume increase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUp4M48Nq4I

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

1) can you hear my voice, and can you understand what I'm saying
2) can you hear the music

Yes and yes.

Sounds good, I would try to get rid of the microphone glitch at the beginning, but other than that, it's all good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm glad to see they finally decided to rename LP to the Nofriendo Entertainment System

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cake Attack posted:

I'm glad to see they finally decided to rename LP to the Nofriendo Entertainment System

It's a really funny name.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

:agreed:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Blind Sally posted:

It has my blessing

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So does this now mean that slowbeef invented the NES :letsplay:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Pretty weak in my opinion. I trusted the good people of The Something Awful Forums to come up with a better put-down than that and they let me down. :(

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'd say it's on par with other ironic forum names, like "You Look Like poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Oh, man, another forum I have to actually read to figure out what it's about, what has this world come to? :(

I like it, though.

• Locked thread