Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Those are the dumbest rewards because rupees never really had a use except for decoding the goddamn Triforce Charts for highway robbery. I guess wallet upgrades made that slightly less tedious but that wouldn't be a problem if the wallet were bottomless to begin with.

I haven't actually played LBW yet (I'll get to it at some point, my younger brother owns it and he wanted to finish first) so how does it handle it? I know rupees actually have a use with renting items and all, but don't they become pointless again after you buy the items proper?

There are plenty of rupee sinks in LBW with upgrading the bought weapons and such. You can carry up to 9999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The only reason TP has so many rupee chests to begin with is that they were placeholders for items/resources that were cut from the game or never existed to begin with. That game's development was a mess.
That's actually really interesting (although a little odd considering that I found any of the rupee chests I came across to be pretty helpful). Where'd you learn that from?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I haven't actually played LBW yet (I'll get to it at some point, my younger brother owns it and he wanted to finish first) so how does it handle it? I know rupees actually have a use with renting items and all, but don't they become pointless again after you buy the items proper?

You can carry 9999 rupees and there are thousands of rupees worth of worthwhile expenditures in the form of renting, buying, and then upgrading each of your items. Plus there's also a fairy fountain that you can throw rupees in of course. The game throws so many rupees at you that you can easily do all this and then buy a golden bee for 9999 rupees just because.

You can get the golden bee cheaper but well, those rupees weren't gonna spend themselves! :v:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Wait, what are you guys talking about with item upgrades costing money in LBW? I'm pretty sure the sword upgrade requires master ore and the item upgrades require maiamais?

e: Oh wait nevermind I forgot about those items

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 17, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yet another way in which Majora is the best 3d Zelda :smug:

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Complexcalibur posted:

In preparation for Smash, I went out and got a Pro Controller. I'm trying it out in Mario Kart 8 right now, and one thing I noticed immediately about the sticks is that moving them around is really... smooth? I don't know how to describe it, but I'm used to feeling more resistance moving an analog stick around than I am with the Pro Controller, like with my Classic Controller. Is that normal? It's not a bad thing, I'm just making sure this isn't a sign that the stick is going to give out in a month and just rattle around.

You're not used to it. Give it a while and it'll grow on you. It's a very well made controller.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ultigonio posted:

Wait, what are you guys talking about with item upgrades costing money in LBW? I'm pretty sure the sword upgrade requires master ore and the item upgrades require maiamais?

You can't upgrade items unless you actually own them, which is something like 800 rupees a pop for the cheapest item.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I just plum forgot.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As long as we can agree that Spirit Tracks is awful. A steep difficulty that would be totally okay - if the stylus controls could handle that level of precision. Top that off with an infuriating overworld and its the one Zelda game that really left a bad taste.

But I also prefer the 3d zeldas to any of the 2d entries, so what do I know? OOT was the first zelda game I've ever played and its stuck with me.

I found Link to the Past's lack of direction aggravating. I get that that sense of exploration and non-linearity is what a lot of fans missed in the 3d versions. Its just very clearly not my cup of tea. I haven't tried Link Between Worlds, largely because i've heard its a return to "here's the overworld, go dick around" without any hint or where to go or what to do.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I bought a WiiU for Bayo 2, and grabbed Zelda WW since I never played it for some reason.

I'm noticing that there's no way to invert Y-axis for the 3rd person camera? Is this for real?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Narcissus1916 posted:

As long as we can agree that Spirit Tracks is awful.

Well that answers what I was going to ask.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Skyward Sword replaced Ocarina of Time as the best and favorite Zelda for me. Why don't you people understand? :negative:

I understand. One of the few games where literally EVERYTHING is designed well. Yes, even the black climbing dude. Loved revisiting each of the main regions just because they were so fun just to run through. Bugs are cool too, and so is upgrading poo poo, and so were the "spirit world" challenges, and skydiving... oh skydiving.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

sulphix posted:

I understand. One of the few games where literally EVERYTHING is designed well. Yes, even the black climbing dude. Loved revisiting each of the main regions just because they were so fun just to run through. Bugs are cool too, and so is upgrading poo poo, and so were the "spirit world" challenges, and skydiving... oh skydiving.

Skydiving and bamboo cutting minigames forever. :hf:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Narcissus1916 posted:

As long as we can agree that Spirit Tracks is awful. A steep difficulty that would be totally okay - if the stylus controls could handle that level of precision. Top that off with an infuriating overworld and its the one Zelda game that really left a bad taste.

But I also prefer the 3d zeldas to any of the 2d entries, so what do I know? OOT was the first zelda game I've ever played and its stuck with me.

I found Link to the Past's lack of direction aggravating. I get that that sense of exploration and non-linearity is what a lot of fans missed in the 3d versions. Its just very clearly not my cup of tea. I haven't tried Link Between Worlds, largely because i've heard its a return to "here's the overworld, go dick around" without any hint or where to go or what to do.

I just played LBW and it's a good balance between the two approaches. The world is pretty much wide open to you past the prologue and you can tackle the dungeons in pretty much any order but they're all clearly marked on your map so you never really get stuck not knowing where to go.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I enjoyed Spirit Tracks

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

sulphix posted:

I would definitely not say that everything is designed well, but a number of the game's issues are shallow enough that they can be removed or adjusted with a cheat code. The silent realms are absolutely stellar.

Lagomorphic posted:

I just played LBW and it's a good balance between the two approaches. The world is pretty much wide open to you past the prologue and you can tackle the dungeons in pretty much any order but they're all clearly marked on your map so you never really get stuck not knowing where to go.
Technically, all the dungeons are marked on your map in Link to the Past and they're numbered by how the games wants you to do them. That said, there are still a few moments of obtuse direction. Particularly when it comes to getting one of the spells to open up Misery Mire.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm fairly sure you can't do every dungeon in any order. I think like two of the dungeons require an item you don't get until you do a particular dungeon.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They're mapped?! Its been ages since I've played it, so I may have completely forgotten about that.

Also, I feel like I should throw some love towards Link's Awakening. I really didn't care for LttP (going in the recommended order, I only made it to the butterfly boss) and didn't "get" why people liked the 2d entries.

Then I played Link's Awakening and promptly disappeared for a week. So good, so strong.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

edit: nevermind.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Is Minish Cap ok? I bought that on Virtual Console a while back but haven't got around to playing it.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Minish Cap is a pretty cool game. Great dungeons, one of the few Zelda games with Ganon not as the antagonist, and it's a pretty compact if underdeveloped overworld.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I haven't really sat down to play Minish Cap yet. I've only really done the first dungeon and some other stuff. I've liked what I've seen so far though. I just get distracted easily.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Old Wii game chat, anyone play Go Vacation? Saw it randomly come up on NeoGaf the other day cause this:
http://www.amusementarcade.org/2014/10/13/did-u-miss-it-go-vacation-wii/

Sounds like the individual stuff is mediocre but makes up for it in sheer volume/variety of stuff. There was also an Iwata Asks, not that Nintendo had anything to do with it, Iwata just saw it on YouTube and thought it looked cool:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/go-vacation/0/0

Iwata posted:

Today I have the staff from Namco Bandai Games. To be honest, when I watched all the videos on YouTube's Namco Bandai Games Channel, I thought "I can't believe they put this much in!" I asked you two here today because I really wanted to hear how the fruit of your labor that is Go Vacation came about. Thank you for your time today.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

japtor posted:

Old Wii game chat, anyone play Go Vacation? Saw it randomly come up on NeoGaf the other day cause this:
http://www.amusementarcade.org/2014/10/13/did-u-miss-it-go-vacation-wii/

Sounds like the individual stuff is mediocre but makes up for it in sheer volume/variety of stuff. There was also an Iwata Asks, not that Nintendo had anything to do with it, Iwata just saw it on YouTube and thought it looked cool:
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/go-vacation/0/0

Oh great. With all of the house-stuff this sounds exactly up my alley. I believe there was a fishing game for Wii that sported a similarly 'there's more to this than what you'd expect" vibe, maybe made by Prope?

I don't need to see more games I want. The November storm is almost here. :smith:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, Go Vacation and the Prope fishing game (Fishing Resort) both came out at around the same time and are both casual-looking games with a surprising amount of volume and polish. Fishing Resort is easily the best fishing game on Wii, and Go Vacation is probably the best Wii Sports-style minigame collection outside of the Wii Sports games (I say "probably" because I've barely played any others, but I strongly suspect they're all terrible) and it supports all your stupid peripherals, too.

NOE actually published Go Vacation in Europe, so I guess Iwata wasn't bullshitting in that interview.

Fishing Resort was published by XSEED in the US but I don't think it ever got a PAL release. XSEED priced it at $20, I think they still sell it direct from their website.

Ultigonio posted:

That's actually really interesting (although a little odd considering that I found any of the rupee chests I came across to be pretty helpful). Where'd you learn that from?

Just from interviews at the time and other tidbits. It seems like it basically came down to Aonuma being a good director but a bad producer - he spent his time as producer letting people make what they liked without applying enough restraint, to the point where Miyamoto appointed himself producer and told Aonuma to go clean up their mess. The final game was assembled from an assortment of random assets they'd already made but hadn't necessarily planned what to do with, which is why so many of the game's various elements are underdeveloped or disjointed.

Skyward Sword's production changed as a response to that - the whole hub/segmented-overworld thing had as much to do with making the game easier to develop and manage as it did with addressing complaints about TP's overworld. Two birds, one stone, etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 17, 2014

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Yea this looks really great

So I bought w101 a while back and I didn't like it. I've got some time in my hands now and I'm willing to give it one more shot. What upgrades should I purchase from the store early on to make the game more enjoyable?

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 17, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It seems like it basically came down to Aonuma being a good director but a bad producer - he spent his time as producer letting people make what they liked without applying enough restraint, to the point where Miyamoto appointed himself producer and told Aonuma to go clean up their mess. The final game was assembled from an assortment of random assets they'd already made but hadn't necessarily planned what to do with, which is why so many of the game's various elements are underdeveloped or disjointed.

So it's the Final Fantasy 13 of the Zelda series

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

davey4283 posted:

So I bought w101 a while back and I didn't like it. I've got some time in my hands now and I'm willing to give it one more shot. What upgrades should I purchase from the store early on to make the game more enjoyable?
Before getting into upgrades, try playing on easy if normal is more frustrating than fun. I went through the whole game on easy and it was still a nice challenge. You can change difficulty at any time (between levels) so feel free to mess with it.

The main early upgrades to get would be the dodge and guts (jello) morphs, they're probably the only ones you can afford really early too :v:. A lot of the others really depend how you play I guess, particularly with the "blocks" since you can only carry as many as your have spots for, you get more spots as you level up your team. The morphs/line powerups are easier to pick just cause there's the little video demonstration, you can kinda decide for yourself if you'd make good use of whatever thing. And more things show up as you buy stuff and/or progress in game (not sure which).

One more thing is the ingredient mixer where you use the space peppers and what not, if you get 30 (35?) of each you can make a single use credit card to buy anything. I think I made 2 or 3 over the course of my play and used them on the more expensive items.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Yo, Cia is really fun in Hyrule Warriors and that game just rules in general.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I really liked the start of Spirit Tracks, got the mood really right, but then it got to some really tedious dungeoning. Weirdly considering that Wind Waker didn't grip me I really liked Phantom Hourglass as well, until the third tedious dungeon rerun.

Overall I can't help but feel that a lot of the modern Zelda games are weirdly padded out, I wouldn't mind at all if they were shorter with more focused content, but a lot of dungeons seem to have pointless extra rooms (no real challenge, use the same item to cross an obstacle in the same way as before) and extra travel distances everywhere.

Just gotten impatient with my advanced age I guess :)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Macaluso posted:

I'm fairly sure you can't do every dungeon in any order. I think like two of the dungeons require an item you don't get until you do a particular dungeon.

I assume this is referring to A Link Between Worlds.

In Hyrule, you have to do the Eastern Palace first, but then you can do the Tower of Hera or House of Gales in either order.

In Lorule, you can do any dungeon in any order except the Desert Palace, for which you need the Sand Rod from Thieves Hideout first.

eta: For anyone who hasn't played A Link Between Worlds yet, you really really should. I think it's the best Zelda ever.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Suaimhneas posted:

So it's the Final Fantasy 13 of the Zelda series

Or Resident Evil 2 before they pulled the plug on the original version and started over with Kamiya learning heavily from the mistakes of his first attempt.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

davey4283 posted:

Seconding buying the block and evade moves early on. With these, you'll wanna start learning which attacks should be dodged or blocked. You can only block "blunt" attacks, so don't use it for incoming sword/spike attacks. This takes some time to get used to. Once you can reliably open enemies up on Guts blocks, fights will become a whole lot easier. The Energy converter is a good early "special block" as it replenishes health/charge pretty well.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

davey4283 posted:

Buy Speed Charge and Unite Charge immediately. They're things you should use pretty much constantly, especially as a beginner. Also get Ukemi and Hero Time as soon as you can. And have fun :)

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Narcissus1916 posted:

That ... what ... no, that's most definitely NOT something we can just "all agree on," what the hell is wrong with you :psyduck:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Oh I forgot the terrible DS Zelda games existed. They were close to Philips CD-i quality.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Spirit Tracks is a good game, a mediocre Zelda game, but has an amazing soundtrack and you can go choo-choo by pulling the train whistle on the touch screen and if that doesn't warm your heart a little you are dead inside.

Re: W101, I highly suggest watching the first two or three episodes of Chip Cheezum's LP, he explains a lot of hidden mechanics that make the game a lot easier and enjoyable.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

PrBacterio posted:

That ... what ... no, that's most definitely NOT something we can just "all agree on," what the hell is wrong with you :psyduck:

Please make your case defending "Choo Choo Zelda" .

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
If you like LttP then try Minish Cap, it's a lot of fun and charming with nice details and mechanics.

If you like retreading the same bosses and levels in endless fetch quests that provide little to no progression Skyward Sword has you covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Wild Knight posted:

Re: W101, I highly suggest watching the first two or three episodes of Chip Cheezum's LP, he explains a lot of hidden mechanics that make the game a lot easier and enjoyable.

That's exactly what I did Wonderful 101 after I first played the demo. Those first couple videos helped a lot. The second time I played the demo I enjoyed it a lot more.

• Locked thread