Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There are thorium reactors, I guess. Not technically scifi, since we could build one if we really wanted to, we just haven't yet. We did build a U-233 molten salt reactor in the late 60s, which ran really well; U-233 is the fissile material that you get from bombarding thorium with neutrons, so it's sort of a proof of concept for how a thorium reactor would work.

The benefits of thorium fission have been outlined many times in this thread before, but in summary

A) Thorium reactors have zero risk of meltdown

B) Thorium reactors product much less nuclear waste

C) Thorium is almost 600x more abundant than U-235 and is a byproduct of many other industrial production efforts, so we have a lot of it but don't yet have a use for it. Using it for nuclear power would actually be ridding us of industrial waste

D) It is difficult to make a practical nuclear bomb from a thorium reactor's byproducts. Several attempts have been made at producing U-233 nuclear bombs (U-233 being produced from Thorium), but this has proven to be very problematic, primarily because of the presence of U-232. U-232 has a short half-life and produces high energy gamma rays, damaging to nearby electronics (such as a bomb's triggering mechanism, or a rocket's navigational systems). This isn't as much of an issue in a reactor; you just need more shielding to protect operators. Unfortunately, you could still technically build a nuclear bomb, even if that bomb would suck and probably wouldn't work and could possibly even accidentally pre-detonate, so thorium reactors don't get the "stops nuclear weapons proliferation" bumper sticker.

There are downsides to thorium reactors, too. U-232 is a short-lived gamma ray emitter, so shielding would be of greater importance than ever before. This could potentially make thorium power plants way more expensive to build than other nuclear power plants. The thorium fuel cycle is also way less efficient than a uranium fuel cycle, so you get less electricity per dollar invested. In other words, the waste products are more dangerous (even if there are fewer of them), the fuel cycle is less efficient, and you can still make nuclear weapons from the fuel source (the US detonated a U-233 bomb once in the 50s with lower-than-expected yields, so we have a proof of concept).

The scifi aspect here is that some people think that we can do away with all of these disadvantages, somehow, and then we'd have a safer form of nuclear power that uses an industrial waste product as fuel. While that does sound super cool, there are a lot of challenges to overcome.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

There are downsides to thorium reactors, too. U-232 is a short-lived gamma ray emitter, so shielding would be of greater importance than ever before. This could potentially make thorium power plants way more expensive to build than other nuclear power plants. The thorium fuel cycle is also way less efficient than a uranium fuel cycle, so you get less electricity per dollar invested.

The uranium fuel cycle is more efficient? Maybe if you don't throw away >95% of the fuel.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 12, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

We pretty much have all the scifi technology we need, we really just need scifi policy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lurking Haro posted:

The uranium fuel cycle is more efficient? Maybe if you don't throw away >95% of the unburnt fuel.

I'm talking about economic efficiency. You need a bunch of U-233 just to get the reaction started, and then the reaction produces neutron absorbers that reduce the rate at which you can produce fissionable products, thereby reducing the overall power output of your reactor. This is great for preventing meltdowns, but not great for power production. And that's not even getting into all of the additional capital investment required for better shielding and the development of new types of waste management

In general, a hypothetical thorium power plant is going to be more expensive per kWh than its uranium equivalent

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 12, 2014

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
70% if steel production relies on using coal - is there any realistic way to replace that? I can't see steel production declining anytime soon, given there are 5 billion people pretty keen to get with our standard of living.

e: 1.6 billion tonnes of steel in 2013, lmao.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SKELETONS posted:

70% if steel production relies on using coal - is there any realistic way to replace that? I can't see steel production declining anytime soon, given there are 5 billion people pretty keen to get with our standard of living.

e: 1.6 billion tonnes of steel in 2013, lmao.

There is a lower carbon and lower emissions alternative. However, some people won't like it because its not zero carbon emissions and thus not ideologically pure:

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4190319-u-s-steel-natural-gas-process-will-soon-replace-coke/

quote:

Coke will become all but obsolete in most steelmaking in about a decade, say some industry experts.

Technology both gaining ground and still in development will largely remove the need for the coal-based fuel in making high-quality steel, they say.

That is important in the wake of U.S. Steel's decision last week to end steel and iron making in Hamilton because the plant and 828 jobs will now hinge on coke-making, rolling, galvanizing and other finishing operations.

United Steelworkers says roughly 120 jobs are directly linked to coke-making in Hamilton.

A process called direct reduced iron uses natural gas to concentrate iron ore into pellets within a furnace that requires less, or in some cases, no coke, says steel expert Peter Warrian of the University of Toronto.

The process is less expensive and about 21 million tonnes of steel in the world is made this way now, says Warrian.

Unfortunately, like coal plants, we don't get the opportunity to replace steel plants that often.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
Ah, so you can use methane instead. I guess you could get real fancy and make it fully carbon neutral then if you manufactured the methane :v:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hello thread,

I've followed fusion power developments over the years, and eagerly await the ever-delayed ITER project.

But then I read this, and it caught me by surprise:

quote:

(Reuters) - Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a technological breakthrough in developing a power source based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready in a decade.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/us-lockheed-fusion-idUSKCN0I41EM20141015

Is there anything at all to this? There are no technical details of any kind, and it feels like a PR stunt or something. Also the author sucks:

quote:

U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers run on nuclear power, but they have large fusion reactors on board that have to be replaced on a regular cycle.

Still, Lockheed is an enormous company, is there anything to this?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If nothing else, Lockheed wants to make money. They wouldn't be spending money on this if they didn't think there was a profit in it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's exciting, but at the same time their press release says they aren't going to be in the prototype phase for 5 years.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/news/press-releases/2014/october/141015ae_lockheed-martin-pursuing-compact-nucelar-fusion.html

Still, if they were willing to go public about this, they must be on to something promising (I hope anyways.)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'll add my voice to those inquiring whether Lockheed's project looks actually feasible. It's hard not to read anything about nuclear fusion without a healthy dose of skepticism, but given that Lockheed's going public with this... This Aviation Week article has much better coverage of the thing.

Could we really see abundant,clean, and safe energy worldwide in 20 years?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Very interesting Aviation Week article. I wish it were five years from now and the physics and prototype were actually proven to work, though.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
Very interesting, I hope it pans out.

I don't think it'll play a major role in the electrical grid in the medium-term, though. It still has to work, then costs have to go down, then manufacturing has to scale up... it'd be to late for it to be a big part of fighting climate change on the grid side of things, at least on a large enough scale. Wind power still seems the best prospect, what with it being one the cheapest power sources without subsidies or carbon taxes, even.

Where I think it'd be loving huge is in powering ocean cargo ships. To be best of my knowledge, we don't have any other prospects for powering them without emissions except nuclear. And fusion should be less of a safety/proliferation concern, right? That's why we're interested in it?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Actually, they announced this a year and a half ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAsRFVbcyUY

It didn't get much traction back then because their pitch was literally "we have a way to make small, working fusion reactors but we can't tell you anything about how we can do it. Fusion in ten years!"

One of their main thrusts though was that the size was a big deal as merely because of that they could iterate much faster than something like ITER which is the size of a power station, which seemed pretty reasonable.

The fact that the project is still going and wasn't quietly dropped is a good sign though.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

crazypenguin posted:

Very interesting, I hope it pans out.

I don't think it'll play a major role in the electrical grid in the medium-term, though. It still has to work, then costs have to go down, then manufacturing has to scale up... it'd be to late for it to be a big part of fighting climate change on the grid side of things, at least on a large enough scale. Wind power still seems the best prospect, what with it being one the cheapest power sources without subsidies or carbon taxes, even.

Where I think it'd be loving huge is in powering ocean cargo ships. To be best of my knowledge, we don't have any other prospects for powering them without emissions except nuclear. And fusion should be less of a safety/proliferation concern, right? That's why we're interested in it?

Eh, if you've got 'free energy' you can just pump it into electrolyzing water then doing syngas processing to produce basically whatever drat liquid fuel/plastic/hydrocarbon output you want from air and water.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Very interesting Aviation Week article. I wish it were five years from now and the physics and prototype were actually proven to work, though.

Yes, the history of fusion power is littered with promises. I'll wait for a prototype before I get my hopes up, but I wish them luck.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'll add my voice to those inquiring whether Lockheed's project looks actually feasible. It's hard not to read anything about nuclear fusion without a healthy dose of skepticism, but given that Lockheed's going public with this... This Aviation Week article has much better coverage of the thing.

Seems like the reactor breeds it own Deuterium and Tritium. They at least promise results in 5 years instead of 20.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Trabisnikof posted:

There is a lower carbon and lower emissions alternative. However, some people won't like it because its not zero carbon emissions and thus not ideologically pure:

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4190319-u-s-steel-natural-gas-process-will-soon-replace-coke/

Unfortunately, like coal plants, we don't get the opportunity to replace steel plants that often.

Looks like a new front on the war on coal! :downsgun:

Seriously though that looks like a pretty neat and good improvement.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

-Troika- posted:

If nothing else, Lockheed wants to make money. They wouldn't be spending money on this if they didn't think there was a profit in it.

Defense contractors are cut-throat as all hell, and things have only gotten worse as belts in Washington have tightened considerably. If they're announcing something and seeking aid, then it means 1) they think that they really have some good ideas to work from and 2) they have some problems that they don't think are surmountable on their own. I don't think that the timeline is meaningful at all, but it's good that they're investing time and effort on the nuclear fusion problem.

Even if the 10-year estimate is based on real data and not just pulled from someone's rear end, Lockheed is notorious for cost overruns and scheduling delays, so announcing that they'll have a reactor in 10 years is really no different than announcing that they'll have a reactor in 20 years, following the old "fusion is just 20 years away" trope.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Guys, this is modern LockMart.

They will probably run with a concurrency development model. Selling it while they build it and develop it all at the same time. Parts will be manufactured in 48 states.

How about that F-35?

Seriously though, I would not believe a single word today's LockMart has to say about any new product.

Would love to be wrong on this one, but not going to hold my breath.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
It's worth noting that this is SkunkWorks, not LM generally, and SW has a very good history of doing cery difficult things on a reasonable timeframe (u2 spyplane, stealth technology, blackbird).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SKELETONS posted:

It's worth noting that this is SkunkWorks, not LM generally, and SW has a very good history of doing cery difficult things on a reasonable timeframe (u2 spyplane, stealth technology, blackbird).

All of those successes are 30+ years old. SW's more recent projects have included the F-22 (an infamous cost and schedule overrun nightmare) and the F-35 (a slightly less infamous cost and schedule overrun nightmare)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The Avweek article says:

quote:

This crucial difference means that for the same size, the CFR generates more power than a tokamak by a factor of 10.

That also means that it's generating 10 times the neutron flux, so the same materials issues that are a potential showstopper for tokamak commercial fusion are even worse here.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 15, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

All of those successes are 30+ years old. SW's more recent projects have included the F-22 (an infamous cost and schedule overrun nightmare) and the F-35 (a slightly less infamous cost and schedule overrun nightmare)

Not to make this about the F-35, but probably the F-35 has eclipsed the F-22 easily in infamy and cost. It doesn't mean Lockheed-Martin is incapable of producing anything but I would need to see some solid proof up to a working prototype before I would give it much consideration.

As with most fusion projects, if they worked in a commercial capacity they could very well change the world, but until something actually comes of it, it is best not to get too excited. Unfortunately, I think we will be using less sexy current generation technology for quite a while.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seems like a followup on their announcement last year expecting a working reactor in 2017.
http://www.dvice.com/2013-2-22/lockheeds-skunk-works-promises-fusion-power-four-years

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

I love how this is not ten years away, it's 5 year for a prototype and another 5 years to build one that has a possible positive energy return. Pinky swear guys!

It's good that tokamak reactors are shown to, again, be an unworkable waste of money, but that's not any evidence this one will work either. Lockmart is also a really, really rich company, and if they thought they had this in the bag they'd wrap it up so tight you'd owe them millions of dollars if you so much as farted near it. They know it has problems, and by going public, hope someone else can come a long and solve it for them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, it seems it's more one year for a working proof of concept, five for a full-scale prototype, and five more for mass production.

http://aviationweek.com/technology/meet-leader-skunk-works-compact-fusion-reactor-team
http://aviationweek.com/blog/high-hopes-can-compact-fusion-unlock-new-power-space-and-air-transport

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Well, it seems it's more one year for a working proof of concept, five for a full-scale prototype, and five more for mass production.

http://aviationweek.com/technology/meet-leader-skunk-works-compact-fusion-reactor-team
http://aviationweek.com/blog/high-hopes-can-compact-fusion-unlock-new-power-space-and-air-transport

Oh man, those articles are classics. Besides Lockheed's CEO unironically saying he's on a "quest for the holy grail" there's:

quote:

McGuire’s compact fusion reactor (CFR) team of 10 is comprised primarily of “fresh-outs”—engineers and scientists hired straight from university campuses—with an average age under 35.

quote:

Fusion has created numerous false starts over the past three decades, resulting in skepticism that McGuire admits is justified. “We’re not promising that we have made the jump across the divide. We are being honest about where we are,” he says. “We have made some steps forward, and there is still a lot of work to do, step by step in measured progress.”

Interesting enough, in neither of those articles is "one year for a working proof of concept, five for a full-scale prototype, and five more for mass production" ever mentioned. I did find another aviation week article, maybe the one you meant: http://aviationweek.com/technology/skunk-works-reveals-compact-fusion-reactor-details

quote:

We would like to get to a prototype in five generations. If we can meet our plan of doing a design-build-test generation every year, that will put us at about five years, and we’ve already shown we can do that in the lab.” The prototype would demonstrate ignition conditions and the ability to run for upward of 10 sec. in a steady state after the injectors, which will be used to ignite the plasma, are turned off. “So it wouldn’t be at full power, like a working concept reactor, but basically just showing that all the physics works,” McGuire says.

An initial production version could follow five years after that. “That will be a much bigger effort,” he says, suggesting that transition to full-scale manufacturing will necessarily involve materials and heat-transfer specialists as well as gas-turbine makers. The early reactors will be designed to generate around 100 MW and fit into transportable units measuring 23 X 43 ft. “That’s the size we are thinking of now. You could put it on a semi-trailer, similar to a small gas turbine, put it on a pad, hook it up and can be running in a few weeks,” McGuire says. The concept makes use of the existing power infrastructures to enable the CFR to be easily adapted into the current grid. The 100-MW unit would provide sufficient power for up to 80,000 homes in a power-hungry U.S. city and is also “enough to run a ship,” he notes.

'Could' and 'can' being key words here.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ah, missed a link.
http://newsdaily.com/2014/10/lockheed-says-makes-breakthrough-on-fusion-energy-project/

quote:

Initial work demonstrated the feasibility of building a 100-megawatt reactor measuring seven feet by 10 feet, which could fit on the back of a large truck, and is about 10 times smaller than current reactors, McGuire told reporters.

In a statement, the company, the Pentagon’s largest supplier, said it would build and test a compact fusion reactor in less than a year, and build a prototype in five years.

The real takeaway is the main designer looks like he stepped out of Doctor Horrible.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 15, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
So what exactly do they have at present? A vague pen and paper outline? A bunch of simulations suggesting that their new design might work and probably won't blow up/summon the Old Ones/end the world as we know it? An actual working model system that doesn't yet qualify as a prototype for some reason?

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 16, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

So what exactly do they have at present?

A place in the F-35A and C where a lift engine goes in the B and nothing that costs hundreds of billions to put in it.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 16, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

A place in the F-35A and C where a lift engine goes in the C and nothing that costs hundreds of billions to put in it.

Haven't you heard about their exciting directed energy prototype! Only 5-10 years from deployment!

LemonDrizzle posted:

So what exactly do they have at present? A vague pen and paper outline? A bunch of simulations suggesting that their new design might work and probably won't blow up/summon the Old Ones/end the world as we know it? An actual working model system that doesn't yet qualify as a prototype for some reason?

This is what they have:

quote:

Led by Thomas McGuire, an aeronautical engineer in the Skunk Work’s aptly named Revolutionary Technology Programs unit, the current experiments are focused on a containment vessel roughly the size of a business-jet engine. Connected to sensors, injectors, a turbopump to generate an internal vacuum and a huge array of batteries, the stainless steel container seems an unlikely first step toward solving a conundrum that has defeated generations of nuclear physicists—namely finding an effective way to control the fusion reaction.

“I studied this in graduate school where, under a NASA study, I was charged with how we could get to Mars quickly,” says McGuire, who earned his Ph.D. at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Scanning the literature for fusion-based space propulsion concepts proved disappointing. “That started me on the road and [in the early 2000s], I started looking at all the ideas that had been published. I basically took those ideas and melded them into something new by taking the problems in one and trying to replace them with the benefits of others. So we have evolved it here at Lockheed into something totally new, and that’s what we are testing,” he adds.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
People really need to start understanding that since fighter jets are practically useless in the modern world, it doesn't particularly matter that ones being created for no reason other than MUST BE NEW!! are poo poo. The fact that Lockheed Martin's fighter jet division is a de facto manufacturing welfare operation for the entire country has no bearing on whether their fusion research division is full of poo poo or not.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

Not to make this about the F-35, but probably the F-35 has eclipsed the F-22 easily in infamy and cost.

I dont want to either, but the F-35 is making the F-22 look like a STEAL. The 22 only has one job to do. I have heard 1-1.5 Trillion for a turkey that can't do a single job well (35).

------

Anyhow, has the idea of a planetary DC grid based on solar been beaten to death in this thread yet?

Is it even remotely feasible in theory (politics aside)? Or just another pipe dream as we kill ourselves off on coal, gas and transportation?

There is a lot of desert, and from what I remember transmission inefficiencies are pretty acceptable as they are? No?

Go ahead, call me an idiot in advance.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Herv posted:

I dont want to either, but the F-35 is making the F-22 look like a STEAL. The 22 only has one job to do. I have heard 1-1.5 Trillion for a turkey that can't do a single job well (35).

------

Anyhow, has the idea of a planetary DC grid based on solar been beaten to death in this thread yet?

Is it even remotely feasible in theory (politics aside)? Or just another pipe dream as we kill ourselves off on coal, gas and transportation?

There is a lot of desert, and from what I remember transmission inefficiencies are pretty acceptable as they are? No?

You're an idiot that doesn't read threads

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Herv posted:

Same problems with anything.

Who's going to pay for it?

Who's going to build it?

Who's going to operate it?

Who's going to maintain it?

Where does the power go? Where does it come from? Who pays for that?

How are political boundaries managed in an age when Russia giddily shuts off natural gas to any nation it has a grudge against?

That isn't to say there aren't ideas or plans. Europe/North Africa is an ideal situation where long distance DC can transmit power from solar collectors in the deserts of North Africa through an underwater cable to Southern Europe. DeserTec was a consortium effort to realize this, but it's largely petered out.

I like what I saw in the recent Nobel Prize for Physics more with regards to solar: micro-scale solar/LED units replacing kerosene lamps as a source of light in poor regions of the world. Solar works best on a small scale that grows, not a top-down baseline replacement.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Herv posted:

Yes, it has been beaten to death. No, it is not even remotely feasible due to technical reasons that are unrelated to politics.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pander posted:

That isn't to say there aren't ideas or plans. Europe/North Africa is an ideal situation where long distance DC can transmit power from solar collectors in the deserts of North Africa through an underwater cable to Southern Europe.

Please tell me that you meant to write "through many underwater cables". :psyduck:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Please tell me that you meant to write "through many underwater cables". :psyduck:

It's a royal "An".

the collected "An."

It's also only slightly less feasible than existing plans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Pander posted:

Same problems with anything.

Who's going to pay for it?

Who's going to build it?

Who's going to operate it?

Who's going to maintain it?

Where does the power go? Where does it come from? Who pays for that?

How are political boundaries managed in an age when Russia giddily shuts off natural gas to any nation it has a grudge against?

That isn't to say there aren't ideas or plans. Europe/North Africa is an ideal situation where long distance DC can transmit power from solar collectors in the deserts of North Africa through an underwater cable to Southern Europe. DeserTec was a consortium effort to realize this, but it's largely petered out.

I like what I saw in the recent Nobel Prize for Physics more with regards to solar: micro-scale solar/LED units replacing kerosene lamps as a source of light in poor regions of the world. Solar works best on a small scale that grows, not a top-down baseline replacement.

Speaking of DeserTec, this showed up on BBC News today http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29551063

The Article posted:

The TuNur project aims to bring two gigawatts of solar power to the UK from Tunisia if the company wins a contract for difference (CFD) from the British government.

Under new rules published by the Department for Energy and Climate Change (Decc) in the Summer, the government will allow developers of renewable energy projects that are not based in the UK to bid for contracts that guarantee subsidies to supply power.

TuNur, which is a partnership between British renewables investor Low Carbon, developer Nur Energie, and Tunisian investors, says it has already spent 10 million euros developing the site in the southern area of the country.