Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

I mean jesus tittyfucking christ why is it such a big deal that you have the right to do it without fear of reprisal?

I think that one point that was made was that one of the Michonne cosplayer was German, had no idea internet people would get mad, quickly apologized and deleted the pictures.

Another example, in France, a (bad) comedy involved a very blatant blackface in some kind of "Watermelon man" story. And black people actually liked the movie. And there was no drama because the intent was clear and the subject treated remotely intelligently (showing to white people how it is to live as a black person).

The point is that saying that portraying a black character when you are white, using makeup, is universally offensive, is not true.

And yes blackface is a horrible offensive caricature, but calling the two examples above blackface is IMHO incorrect.

edit:

and apparently it's even OK in the US too so I really don't know what is all the fuss with the SJW here

timely
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You guys get that nobody is going to cart you off the gulag or anything for wearing blackface, right? You're not arguing for the right to dress up, because you have that right and always have; you're arguing that you should be able to do it consequence free. Go to comicon dressed as Al Jolson if you want, but expect that people will be angry and think you're an rear end in a top hat.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
To be honest, I think it's a bit different for Tropic Thunder since the context is clearly about an actor deliberately wearing blackface and the racist undertones related to his acting.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Tropic Thunder is definitely a subversion, but here's a Mad TV sketch where a white actor plays a black character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGaPTTotEMM

Opopanax posted:

You guys get that nobody is going to cart you off the gulag or anything for wearing blackface, right? You're not arguing for the right to dress up, because you have that right and always have; you're arguing that you should be able to do it consequence free. Go to comicon dressed as Al Jolson if you want, but expect that people will be angry and think you're an rear end in a top hat.

It was just weird to me that this discussion arose from a discussion about why dressing up as a character from an old British kids telly show might be problematic.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Opopanax posted:

you're arguing that you should be able to do it consequence free.

I'm arguing that it would be nice if white people stopped getting mad at other white people for wearing black makeup ITYOOL 2014.

e: and my shitposting ends here

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Oct 17, 2014

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

I just have to say that if you are offended by blackface then you should also be offended when a person dresses as, for example, mishon (sp) they wear a dread lock wig. They both aren't natural to your genetics.

Everyone has posted about most of this conversation but I wanted to comment on this. Are you loving stupid? Do you think black people come out the womb with dreads? Pretty much anyone of any race can have dreads, especially if they have coarse hair. A person who isn't black having dreads is not anything like black face. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

For the record, I think dress up as whoever you want no matter the race of the character and how much it contrasts with yours.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I actually like this a lot because it's spot on, but you do know that White Nick Fury was a thing long before Black Nick Fury right? The character has been white and around since WWII comics when he led the "Howling Commandos."

I did, but it slipped my mind when I went searching through my brain for "a popular black character with some distinguishing features beyond 'being black'".

I don't think blackface is going to stop being offensive in my lifetime. America (and the rest of the goddamn world) still has so many issues with racism that I don't think the connotations and implications of blackface will go away until the underlying racial issues do, and that is so far from happening that I may as well wish for an X-wing. poo poo, the X-wing will probably get here first.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

WaterIsPoison posted:

To be honest, I think it's a bit different for Tropic Thunder since the context is clearly about an actor deliberately wearing blackface and the racist undertones related to his acting.

Indeed. They make a point that this guy is a clueless idiot. He's called out by the actual black guy on the cast for being a gigantic loving moron. See : "What do you mean 'you people'?"

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Oh wow look at all these super awesome cosplays

Shoko and Jerome Cosplay are my favorite cosplay team, their poo poo is unreal.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Opopanax posted:

If you cannot distinguish "Freedom of speech" and "speech that is consequence free" please move to a sea stead, contract a curable disease, the perish from previously mentioned disease ASAP

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
Moved over to the Cosplay Creation thread — thanks!

Hecuba has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Oct 17, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

cool kids inc. posted:

Indeed. They make a point that this guy is a clueless idiot. He's called out by the actual black guy on the cast for being a gigantic loving moron. See : "What do you mean 'you people'?"

please do not bring context into discussions about racism, it is very much uncalled for and unneeded

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Hecuba posted:

Is this the right place to ask for cosplay assistance? If not, let me know and I’ll delete.

I’m looking to cosplay a crazy Biblical-style six-winged multi-eyed Night Vale angel for a big outdoor festival coming up in a couple of months, and was hoping to get some advice on the build. I’m generally pretty crafty but this will be my first ambitious cosplay, so any help would be super appreciated. I don’t have access to a shop, but do own basic hand tools like a drill, staple gun and small electric saw.

I’m thinking three components: a back harness for the wings, a toga/wrap type thing to cover it, and a SHITLOAD of face/body paint.

1. Wings: material is the major concern right now. This event can get crowded, so they have to be sturdy enough to stand up to some jostling. Any suggested materials? As of right now, I’m thinking light balsa wood or something along those lines. Corrugated cardboard would be cheap but probably too fragile. Craft foam is an option. Can anyone vouch for its durability? If I went the balsa/light plywood route, could I cut it with a small electric saw?

I’m also wondering about the construction. My current plan is to cut six backing frames for the wings, then staplegun or hotglue layers of cut-out eyes and feathers on top of them. Spraypaint the whole shebang and then staplegun each wing to a wooden “spine,” which I’d then attach straps to and cover up with the toga. This does seem like a lot, though — maybe just cutting out four larger pieces for each wing and layering them on top of each other would be less of a pain in the rear end?

2. Facepaint: Recommendations on rock-solid smearproof face/body paint would be amazing. There’s also the issue of — well, I’m hoping to do something like this or this (second picture is NSFW), but I’m a white person, and painting my face up black (even jet-black and covered with eyes) seems a little… icky to me. Thoughts?

3. Toga: I went to enough college parties to be able to handle this, I think.

Also, does anyone know where I could acquire a lightbulb that will glow without being screwed into anything? This is hard to phrase — basically I’m looking for something like this that I can hold in my hand.

Thanks, goons! I will deliver pictures when the big day comes, promise.

We actually have a build thread here! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045 Join us!!

And here are some more badass cosplays!
Lightning Cosplay

Enayla Cosplay

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

McPantserton posted:

And here are some more badass cosplays!
Lightning Cosplay

Isn't Lightning the character from a Final Fantasy game? That's Magda(??) from Diablo 3, a boss from the second act of the game.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Spudd posted:

Isn't Lightning the character from a Final Fantasy game? That's Magda(??) from Diablo 3, a boss from the second act of the game.

Yeah, the cosplayer's page name is Lightning Cosplay. https://www.facebook.com/LightningCos?ref=br_tf

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

McPantserton posted:

Yeah, the cosplayer's page name is Lightning Cosplay. https://www.facebook.com/LightningCos?ref=br_tf

Oh.

That's confusing.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Spudd posted:

Oh.

That's confusing.

My group goes by the Foam Corps but we don't really use foam much anymore. :supaburn:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Thinking about getting out the ww2 gear to go watch Fury. Now I know people do that for scifi movies but is it just dumb/offensive for historical war movies?

It's a pretty detailed setup with some real stuff.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

LingcodKilla posted:

Thinking about getting out the ww2 gear to go watch Fury. Now I know people do that for scifi movies but is it just dumb/offensive for historical war movies?

I would do it, but my WW2 portrayals are British and Russian, so it'd be odd. Although I bet most people wouldn't even notice.

Basically, dude, go for it!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LingcodKilla posted:

As long as you're not wearing any medals, you should be fine from my experience.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Colonial Air Force posted:

I would do it, but my WW2 portrayals are British and Russian, so it'd be odd. Although I bet most people wouldn't even notice.

Basically, dude, go for it!

Going to wear my jeep cap instead of the helmet I think.

Don't even have any insignia due to OPSEC. It's a dday rig.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!
Wow, a bunch of new posts in the cosplay thread, there must have been a big con or something. This is gonna be great!

Oh.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Psychobabble! posted:

Everyone has posted about most of this conversation but I wanted to comment on this. Are you loving stupid? Do you think black people come out the womb with dreads? Pretty much anyone of any race can have dreads, especially if they have coarse hair. A person who isn't black having dreads is not anything like black face. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

For the record, I think dress up as whoever you want no matter the race of the character and how much it contrasts with yours.

Nope not stupid. It was a rough example that I made at three in the morning with other things on my mind. I know this is SA, but you people dont have to be such dicks all the time. And some of your reactions are pretty laughable. "You can't dress as someone of another race, even if you keep you costume to clothing items." Ya, OK!

How about this. If a white boy with bright blonde hair wants to dress up as afro samurai, and wears a black afro wig. Is this offensive? It isn't his natural hair color, and he is using it to depict someone clearly of another race. Im sure you could find many examples of old racist with big red lips and a fro. I'll admit that hair can be altered more easily to look many different ways, but I dont see the difference when speaking purely on cosplay.

Or how about when a white woman puts on fake tanner to make herself a darker shade she couldn't naturally achieve. Is that offensive? She is wearing a skin tone that isnt natural to her, but is for many others. This is imo a very close example to a cosplayer respectfully dressing up as someone of another race. This example lady is wearing her new shade with pride, while not using it to humiliate or shame others. She actively wants this to be how others see her. Any form of makeup that alters your tone falls in this area too. Even if only to a minor degree. You could even go the opposite way when someone puts on a lighter shade for the same purpose. You are depicting yourself as something you are not, while there are other actual humans who do look that way.

The only reason Blackface is so taboo is because actual racists used it to further hate and ignorance. While a cosplay is used to embrace and celebrate. Maybe we arent in the right place as a society yet. Racisim is very much alive and well in America and around the world. I personally will never use makeup to alter my skin tone, nor am I advocating for others to do so. I think that this total opposition without questioning why it is this way furthers the legacy of an old racist society by demonizing something that by itself shouldn't be offensive. People should spend their energy where actual racism lives, rather than shaming some teens for dressing as their favorite fantasy character.

But I'm done riding this derail. This isn't very important to my daily life, and I am just here to look at cool costumes. Please, dont be an rear end, and post pictures of modern day blackface or anything else your little minds can come up with. This isn't me advocating anything. This me trying to have a reasonable discussion on the thought process of society. This is definitely not the thread, and will be all I say.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Use any loving costume or wig you want. Just don't change your skin color.

That's literally it. How loving hard is that?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Nope not stupid. It was a rough example that I made at three in the morning with other things on my mind. I know this is SA, but you people dont have to be such dicks all the time. And some of your reactions are pretty laughable. "You can't dress as someone of another race, even if you keep you costume to clothing items." Ya, OK!

How about this. If a white boy with bright blonde hair wants to dress up as afro samurai, and wears a black afro wig. Is this offensive? It isn't his natural hair color, and he is using it to depict someone clearly of another race. Im sure you could find many examples of old racist with big red lips and a fro. I'll admit that hair can be altered more easily to look many different ways, but I dont see the difference when speaking purely on cosplay.

Or how about when a white woman puts on fake tanner to make herself a darker shade she couldn't naturally achieve. Is that offensive? She is wearing a skin tone that isnt natural to her, but is for many others. This is imo a very close example to a cosplayer respectfully dressing up as someone of another race. This example lady is wearing her new shade with pride, while not using it to humiliate or shame others. She actively wants this to be how others see her. Any form of makeup that alters your tone falls in this area too. Even if only to a minor degree. You could even go the opposite way when someone puts on a lighter shade for the same purpose. You are depicting yourself as something you are not, while there are other actual humans who do look that way.

The only reason Blackface is so taboo is because actual racists used it to further hate and ignorance. While a cosplay is used to embrace and celebrate. Maybe we arent in the right place as a society yet. Racisim is very much alive and well in America and around the world. I personally will never use makeup to alter my skin tone, nor am I advocating for others to do so. I think that this total opposition without questioning why it is this way furthers the legacy of an old racist society by demonizing something that by itself shouldn't be offensive. People should spend their energy where actual racism lives, rather than shaming some teens for dressing as their favorite fantasy character.

But I'm done riding this derail. This isn't very important to my daily life, and I am just here to look at cool costumes. Please, dont be an rear end, and post pictures of modern day blackface or anything else your little minds can come up with. This isn't me advocating anything. This me trying to have a reasonable discussion on the thought process of society. This is definitely not the thread, and will be all I say.

Alouicious posted:

really i just wanna know why whenever you tell a white guy why they shouldn't do a thing they write an essay about why they should totally be allowed to do that thing

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

LingcodKilla posted:

Keep the expression, paint the outfit red and go as the soldier from TF2. :v:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Holy gently caress, these are great!

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

How many of you railing for consequence free racist cosplay are white? 100%? 99%? This is SA so chances are we have some weaboo version of self hating brown person Pecos bill but aside from the single possible outlier like him I am willing to bet that 100% or slightly less of the "blackface isn't racist anymore it's 2014 gawd" crowd is either white or a that one weird rich, spoiled, idiot person of color.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

PleasantDirge posted:

How many of you railing for consequence free racist cosplay are white? 100%? 99%? This is SA so chances are we have some weaboo version of self hating brown person Pecos bill but aside from the single possible outlier like him I am willing to bet that 100% or slightly less of the "blackface isn't racist anymore it's 2014 gawd" crowd is either white or a that one weird rich, spoiled, idiot person of color.

Please prefix all posts with the hex value of your skin tone, thx in advance.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Rogue 7 posted:

Use any loving costume or wig you want. Just don't change your skin color.

That's literally it. How loving hard is that?

Basically this, and I don't understand why that is a hard concept for some people.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Exemptions made for Oompa Loompas and alien races. Get your Klingon on!

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Wax Dynasty posted:

Please prefix all posts with the hex value of your skin tone, thx in advance.

You're right! Race is not a factor here! I'm the real racist for bringing it up right?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Post people in costumes you loving noobs

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

PleasantDirge posted:

Likewise, how many of you pissing and moaning about being "offended" by it are white? 100% 99%? How about we stop presuming altogether what other ethnic groups may or may not find offensive about a loving cosplay.

Especially on the internet; gently caress.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Likewise, how many of you pissing and moaning about being "offended" by it are white? 100% 99%? How about we stop presuming altogether what other ethnic groups may or may not find offensive about a loving cosplay.

Oh poo poo! You DO have to be black to find blackface distasteful! Good to know!

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I'm Asian. Yellowface would be just as offensive, gently caress you.

Luckily people cosplaying Asian characters don't feel the need to change their skin color for some reason!

Tarezax has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Oct 18, 2014

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
i routinely go out in blue face.

gently caress smurfs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tarezax posted:

Luckily people cosplaying Asian characters don't feel the need to change their skin color for some reason!

Well have you watched an anime lately? Without stretching their eyes to the side like a racist caricature, people don't see a need to change how they look aside from mimicking the outfit and hair. Which, is basically what has been the argument here that you shouldn't really need to?

I mean, if you wanna be an Oompa Loompa or Snookie go ahead and give yourself an orange coloring that'd give people their daily dose of vitamin D just by standing next to them. But don't do blackface. Really, just don't do racist things!

Have a picture so I won't be absolutely insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Tarezax posted:

Unless I missed something, people with asian ancestry aren't colored yellow. Granted I have only traveled throughout half the continent, so I can't really speak of all of it.

quote:

Oh poo poo! You DO have to be black to find blackface distasteful! Good to know!
Yeah I know, right? It is almost like people of all ethnicities are able to discern an opinion on what is and is not considered distasteful in their society in different contexts. You might be able to say that some people have different opinions on this. However it would be hard to discern this from your last post that seemed to imply that white people's opinions on the matter don't count, simply because of the fact that they are white.

• Locked thread