Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

Does Toph seem a lot shorter than she did when she appeared in her prime during Beifong's flashback?

Osteoperosis, kyphosis, and compression of the intervertebral discs over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is probably best both Bolin and Mako have ever been. They both felt like identifiable and likeable characters during their argument.
Also just caught the joke of the hotel being called "Four Elements"

Also can I just say how awesome it is for a Nickelodeon show to have an incredibly tense scene where two women discuss geopolitics? Because that conversation between Su and Kuvira was basically Game of Thrones for teens.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 17, 2014

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is probably best both Bolin and Mako have ever been. They both felt like identifiable and likeable characters during their argument.
Also just caught the joke of the hotel being called "Four Elements"

Yep. I think it's because Bolin actually seems to be showing a bit of a spine. Can't wait until we see them duel which I think at this point is inevitable. My money's on Bolin.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm actually getting to like Prince Wu a bit now that he's realizing he's been a spoiled brat all this time. His chillbro attitude can be really cute when he's not being an oblivious douche. Hopefully he grows out of this and becomes a better, more compassionate leader.

Also, REAL mad props for how perfectly they portrayed Toph. The tone and inflections in her voice, the hardass attitude, and the casual picking gross stuff from her feet all really typify the Toph we knew and loved. I do hope she can go back to visit her kids and grandkids at some point. Bolin would totally freak out. :3:

I really wonder how much the VA studied the original Toph's lines. She is so spot-on.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ShadowCatboy posted:

Also, REAL mad props for how perfectly they portrayed Toph. The tone and inflections in her voice, the hardass attitude, and the casual picking gross stuff from her feet all really typify the Toph we knew and loved. I do hope she can go back to visit her kids and grandkids at some point. Bolin would totally freak out. :3:

I really wonder how much the VA studied the original Toph's lines. She is so spot-on.
Philece Sampler is doing an amazing job, but voice director Andrea Romano, who has been with Avatar from the very beginning, can't be ignored.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Man, it's like Season 2 never happened. Kuvira is an interesting character who really straddles the line between slimy and charismatic, and her objections actually sound pretty well-reasoned on the face of things. I really love this new trend of making our villains relatable - Kuvira might be evil, but she has interesting motivations behind her villainy like Zaheer as opposed to "rawr more power I love kicking babies!" that we saw in the earlier season.

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'm actually getting to like Prince Wu a bit now that he's realizing he's been a spoiled brat all this time. His chillbro attitude can be really cute when he's not being an oblivious douche. Hopefully he grows out of this and becomes a better, more compassionate leader.

Yeah, this is fantastic. I just need Toph and Zuko to have their own field trip episode sometime this season and everything will be perfect forever.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
It's really comforting to know that Toph has not changed at all in the past several decades.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So basically, this episode was incredible.
That is all.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
So when do we get a better title?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Toph. :allears: Not even several decades and three seasons of a new series in breadth can stop you from being the best character.

I like how she still has the same positive reinforcement vs punishment thing going on between her training and Katara's in regards to the avatar.

DrSunshine posted:

> Declare the Earth Empire
Effects:
  • Gain 25 Prestige
  • Gain 12 Infamy
  • "Earth Kingdom" becomes "Earth Empire"
  • "Earth Empire" inherits all provinces containing cores of "Earth Kingdom"
  • "Earth Empire" government type changes to Fascist Dictatorship
  • Gain CB: "Crush Opposition" on ALL neighboring provinces NOT owned by "Earth Empire"

You make the CKII joke, but now I'm wondering if Kuvira's marrying Su's son specifically to to have a CB for invading Zao Fu. "You've failed in your duties to protect your people, I'm going to depose you and put your son (who happens to be my husband) in power."

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
My favorite exchange of the episode was:

-"...and I thought Bei Fong was grumpy"
-"I'm the Original Bei Fong!"

Also I'm a little creeped out by Varrick's experiments with Spirit Vines. The Spirits have shown so far that what really bothers them/turns them evil is when humans do not respect nature so I'm totally expecting a huge Spirit backlash against Varrick/Kuvira before this is all over. Maybe Korra can lead a Spirit army against Kuvira's bandit army?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

DrSunshine posted:

> Declare the Earth Empire
Effects:
  • Gain 25 Prestige
  • Gain 12 Infamy
  • "Earth Kingdom" becomes "Earth Empire"
  • "Earth Empire" inherits all provinces containing cores of "Earth Kingdom"
  • "Earth Empire" government type changes to Fascist Dictatorship
  • Gain CB: "Crush Opposition" on ALL neighboring provinces NOT owned by "Earth Empire"

:getin:

Does Toph seem a lot shorter than she did when she appeared in her prime during Beifong's flashback?

I never knew how much I wanted an Avatar CK2 mod before now, holy gently caress.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

King of Foolians posted:

My favorite exchange of the episode was:

-"...and I thought Bei Fong was grumpy"
-"I'm the Original Bei Fong!"

OG as gently caress.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Sydin posted:

You make the CKII joke, but now I'm wondering if Kuvira's marrying Su's son specifically to to have a CB for invading Zao Fu. "You've failed in your duties to protect your people, I'm going to depose you and put your son (who happens to be my husband) in power."

I wouldn't be surprised, though from what he's been doing this episode he's basically Kuvira's Zhu Li. He just makes carrying out her evil plans easier. I don't think Kuvira's capable of marrying an equal. I wonder if he'll realize he went from doing his father's dirty work (all we saw him doing last season was carrying his father's things around) to doing Kuvira's.

Really, Kuvira is Korra on steroids. She's all steely determination (don't kill me for that pun), brute force, and a sense of purpose. She's like Season 1 Korra without the innate compassion and naivete.

Sato fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 17, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jackard posted:

Agreed, change "show" to "thread" and we are golden.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This Is (Not) Too Bad, Fanbase Still poo poo Though

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I love how disparaging Toph is about everything. "Yeah, my daughters never really got the hang of metal bending"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I actually like Prince Wu now, which is great. It didn't actually take that much to make him have his epiphany, which feels right, since he's never been malicious about anything, just sheltered and coddled. He's basically a child for reasons beyond his control, which makes him a great foil for Mako, the boy who was forced to grow up too soon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I feel kinda silly for not getting what Varrick was doing with the Spirit vine, I was thinking he was going to wind up using it as a power source rather than as a nuke

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
That episode loving ruled, toph is awesome, spirit nukes, holy poo poo

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I actually like Prince Wu now, which is great. It didn't actually take that much to make him have his epiphany, which feels right, since he's never been malicious about anything, just sheltered and coddled. He's basically a child for reasons beyond his control, which makes him a great foil for Mako, the boy who was forced to grow up too soon.

Also he really tries to be nice to Mako and seems to genuinely appreciate him even if he doesn't understand him at all. While he's also a good dancer, I'm not sure if he's got the heart for... ballet.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Also he really tries to be nice to Mako and seems to genuinely appreciate him even if he doesn't understand him at all. While he's also a good dancer, I'm not sure if he's got the heart for... ballet.

Wu vs Kuvira dance off for the fate of the Earth Kingdom finale. Predicting it right now. Even better if it's a 4-parter.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

TheKingofSprings posted:

I feel kinda silly for not getting what Varrick was doing with the Spirit vine, I was thinking he was going to wind up using it as a power source rather than as a nuke

I think it's both. Varrick probably thinks its a great way to power his stuff but he's probably also interested in weaponizing it.
Kuvira may not appreciate the power of the weapon she's pursuing.
"I'm the Original Bei Fong!" is my favorite line of the show so far.
Also I bet Zaofu is gonna get wrecked.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Agreed. Zaofu is hosed.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rosalind posted:

Yep. I think it's because Bolin actually seems to be showing a bit of a spine. Can't wait until we see them duel which I think at this point is inevitable. My money's on Bolin.

As a firebender, Mako should be able to suck the heat from the lava. Whether he's able to do that is another matter.

Also, he has death lightning.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

hiddenriverninja posted:

As a firebender, Mako should be able to suck the heat from the lava. Whether he's able to do that is another matter.

Also, he has death lightning.

He's not gonna death-lightening his brother.
Also when you suck the heat out of a ball of lava headed towards your face you are left with a chunk of rock headed towards your face.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone else notice the major eyebrow action Bolin had going on when he was talking with Mako at the hotel? They've really been doing great eyebrow animation so far.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

VanSandman posted:

He's not gonna death-lightening his brother.
Also when you suck the heat out of a ball of lava headed towards your face you are left with a chunk of rock headed towards your face.
What would suck is using waterbending on lava because then you'd have a hunk of obsidian hurled at your face :stonk:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

What would suck is using waterbending on lava because then you'd have a hunk of obsidian hurled at your face :stonk:

im the person who thinks minecraft is true to life.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Nephthys posted:

Wu vs Kuvira dance off for the fate of the Earth Kingdom finale. Predicting it right now. Even better if it's a 4-parter.

Actually I'm kind of wondering how Kuvira's fighting style compares to ballet, anyone with ballet experience willing to weigh in?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

All hail the Original Bei Fong.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jackard posted:

The fact that you guys keep asking this makes the answer never.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
"Can you imagine me in my prime? I WOULD HAVE DESTROYED YOU."

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

iSheep posted:

Legend of Korra Book 4: I WOULD HAVE DESTROYED YOU has a wonderful ring to it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Hurray, our new airbending master gets to DO something :neckbeard:

and Meelo and Ikki are coming too, a nice family reunion for Korra

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Oh man, can you imagine what Meelo and Toph will be like together?

Also, it seems Ikki has entered her snarky preteen phase. Everything she's done so far has been criticizing Meelo.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So, with metal still in Korra's body, there's a possibility she will have to keep it in her and still overcome her trauma, making the eventual fight against Kuvira even more of an interesting fight.

Well, more "horrifying" than interesting, since we'd be getting into metalbloodbending territory like we saw Toph did...

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Mako's face when Bolin compared Kuvira to Korra was hilarious.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

iSheep posted:

From what we saw of her I AM THE LAW days, getting back to nature basically simply gave Toph an excuse to act exactly as irresponsibly as she likes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

... was basically Game of Thrones for teens.

GoT for tweens.

You meant tweens.

• Locked thread