Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Hell we do that with English today in are country.

And English is like the worst language to try and do phonetic spelling with too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

In 30YW Swedish soldiers served in the army until their commanding officers thought that they were unfit to serve. Only about 20% survived their service.
Yeah but Sweden is a nightmare world

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Weren't a lot of Swedish soldiers conscripted, too?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah but Sweden is a nightmare world

A bit later, in the Great Nordic War, a Swedish regiment was rebuilt something like three times. During the entire war, something like 4 soldiers actually survived service.

Between 1590 and 1690, something like 25% percent of all Swedish males died in war. Blood for the Protestant God.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

P-Mack posted:

Yes and no. In the period, there was something called utskrivning, which essentially was "you X amount of farms over there, send a soldier to the regiment." Usually, those who ended up going were young men who didn't own lots of property.

Recruited soldiers signed up on their own behalf or were sent to the military for various reasons: for instance, people with no visible means to provide themselves. So if you were a peddler in the countryside, a court could decide that you live an immoral life on the road and you need to go die in a war.

The best gig was to sign up for a regiment, take the money you get up front and then gently caress off, join another regiment, gently caress off when you get the money, repeat until caught.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kemper Boyd posted:

A bit later, in the Great Nordic War, a Swedish regiment was rebuilt something like three times. During the entire war, something like 4 soldiers actually survived service.

Between 1590 and 1690, something like 25% percent of all Swedish males died in war. Blood for the Protestant God.

Wasn't the Great Nordic War about Brandenburg regaining it's northern territories? Protestant against protestant. Blood for the protestant god indeed.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Libluini posted:

Wasn't the Great Nordic War about Brandenburg regaining it's northern territories? Protestant against protestant. Blood for the protestant god indeed.

Nah, it was Denmark, Poland and Russia deciding to gang up on Sweden (because Sweden had been invading them more or less constantly for the 17th century) because it looked like the young king wasn't up to the task. 21 years later, it proved to be the case. Prussia joined the war in a later phase.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

Oh yeah, and any time these guys try to spell anything in Latin, Italian, or Spanish it's just strings of random letters that sound vaguely like what they're trying to say.

It's still sometimes a pain in the rear end to figure out what Germans are talking about when they write down Eastern European locations.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 17, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kemper Boyd posted:

Nah, it was Denmark, Poland and Russia deciding to gang up on Sweden (because Sweden had been invading them more or less constantly for the 17th century) because it looked like the young king wasn't up to the task. 21 years later, it proved to be the case. Prussia joined the war in a later phase.

Looking up this phase in my book Iron Kingdom (by Christopher Clark, about Prussia), it looks like a mess. Brandenburg even joined Sweden in the first northern war for the battle of Warsaw in 1656 to help defeat the Polnish army. Then Brandenburg changed sides two years later and fought for the Anti-Swedish coalition forces, even assuming leadership at some point.

Apparently back in 1640, when Friedrich Wilhelm asscended to the throne of Brandenburg, there were some fears about Poland taking all of Prussia (the dukedom, not Brandenburg). There were also fears about Denmark and Sweden taking a lot of the rest, but the Great Kurfürst did his best to undo all of that.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 17, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

P-Mack posted:

The old allotment system that was used during the 30YW grouped about ten farms to a file and randomly assigned one farm to supply an uniformed soldier for the army. Normally the farmer paid for some farmhand or a poor neighbour's son to go instead, but if the farmer didn't have enough money to pay for a replacement soldier he had to send his son. And if he ran out of those he had to go himself. The minimum age was 15. Farmers could also hire and equip a cavalryman to get a tax reduction and an exemption from the allotment system. Later the allotment system changed so that the file hired the soldier together.

Vagrants could get impressed automatically and criminals could get amnesty if they joined. I'm reading a doctoral dissertation about replacement soldiers and looks like there were quite many cucking farmhands in the army. For example Henrich Andersson from Panelia village had fornicated with Anna Andersdotter in 1647 and joined as a cavalryman to avoid punishment. Criminals tried to join the army to hide from the law, but some were found and not all got amnesty. A Swede from Alunda had joined the army but got executed for bestiality in 1635, and his file complained that no one had known about it at the time of hiring him, and they shouldn't have to hire a new one.

Men could also serve in the army as a compensation. In Fryksdalen, Sweden in 1651 the court had a case where a man had killed his brother and the killer's son joined the the army as a replacement soldier instead of the victim's son. The killer also paid some additional compensation to the victim's family.

Soldiers could also equip themselves and volunteer, and these volunteers were on the fast track to become NCO's.

The money the replacent soldiers got from farmers was a payment for him to be the soldier for the farm, the Crown paid the actual wage on top of this during wartime. The hiring bonus you got paid instantly when you agreed to serve was about the same a farmhand could earn in a month, and the actual replacent soldier's payment was about 7 years pay for a farmhand and parts of it was usually paid in kind.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 17, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hogge Wild posted:

cucking farmhands . . . Henrich Andersson from Panelia village had fornicated with Anna Andersdotter

um, are you sure that was cuckolding and not another sexual act that would probably fall afoul of 17th century laws and morals? :stare:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That all sounds surprisingly reasonable, actually.

As a soldier during these periods - or during other wars, for that matter - what are your chances of surviving the war?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

um, are you sure that was cuckolding and not another sexual act that would probably fall afoul of 17th century laws and morals? :stare:

Nope, it was fornication. Though I made a mistake, they were from Sorkkinen and he hired himself in Panelia. Anders was probably a common name, but it could also be that they wrote every Antti, Antero, Andreas etc. as Anders.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fangz posted:

As a soldier during these periods - or during other wars, for that matter - what are your chances of surviving the war?

So slim that you shouldn't let marriages stand in between lusty farmhands and farmer's daughters and wives.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

Your chances are fine unless you a Swede, because they hosed up. I still portray someone who works for them, and plan to for the indefinite future.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rabhadh posted:

Gaelic had standardised spelling due to all the monks. Chinese has standardised spelling. Not sure of any others.
Ah here, you should know better than to say that.

HEY GAL posted:

To judge from Hagendorf's diary, infant and child mortality in the military was quite high.
Kids make lovely frontline troops eh? Noted.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 17, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The Royal Navy puts some stick about, destroying some hapless German torpedo-boats. The Germans retreat from the clusterfuck at the Vistula. Belgium continues to put the kibosh on the Kaiser (I will never get bored of posting this). Thrilling capture of yet more lovely little French villages you've never heard of! And the Daily Telegraph demonstrates how happy they are to see Indian troops arriving with casual racism. It's a lovely war!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GAL posted:

Each company has a Feldscherr, which means one doctor for every 300 to 80 people, depending on how big the company is. That's way more doctors per capita than in civilian life.
Oh! They also do autopsies, which I was not expecting. Like, a dude stabbed another dude and the Feldscherr and his assistants determined that the left side of the heart was perforated and the wound would not have been treatable. The Oberst Lieutenant's wife was also autopsied, and there was a list of where and how many times she had been stabbed. (Most of the wounds were to her breasts. God have mercy on her soul, the Regimental Secretary wrote, even though he accepted the Oberst Lieutenant's request to collect evidence to vindicate him and speak for him at the trial.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 18, 2014

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

CSI: Saxony

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Agean90 posted:

CSI: Saxony
Nah, the first half hour would be the investigators trying to sober up, the plot would never move.

These people are used to death. But the death they're used to is public and quasi-ritualized if you're sick or wounded and die after having doled out your money and made amends to your enemies, or public and quasi-ritualized in a different way if it's in combat. To come across a dead body, a person who had died alone...that weirds them out. The Oberst Lieutenant's wife was found "in a vaulted room," lying on a floor "awash in blood," and the people who were called as witnesses were all welp

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 18, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't suppose you can drop some German 30 Year War era soldier slang in the thread HEY GAL?

I find all of the Napoleonic slang, especially the French stuff amusing and I wonder how crude and lewd the stuff from that time zone is.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't suppose you can drop some German 30 Year War era soldier slang in the thread HEY GAL?
This is all I can remember off the top of my head, my notebooks are in my room:

To pull leather: to draw your weapon
Smoked: drunk
To hustle it: to chug a beverage
Kram ("stuff"): a civilian's shop or dwelling place
Zick ("goat"): a coin that looks like a ducat from a distance unless you pick it up and inspect it, dunno how much it's worth
Vielmünz ("manycoins"): spare change
To ring against each other: to swordfight
"I will shoot money at you:" "I'll buy you drinks"

Edit: And the way they talk about non-military things is kinda military-ized, like they'll say "attack a problem" for "solve it" or "tend to one's own earthworks" for "concentrate on one's own affairs."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 18, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh wow, especially that last one thank you. Old soldier slang is always pretty awesome.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Arquinsiel posted:

Kids make lovely frontline troops eh? Noted.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 18, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

"tend to one's own earthworks" for "concentrate on one's own affairs."

Please tell me they had jokes like "I'll tend to your mother's earthworks" back then.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FAUXTON posted:

Please tell me they had jokes like "I'll tend to your mother's earthworks" back then.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were stabbings over that sort of thing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

This is all I can remember off the top of my head, my notebooks are in my room:

To pull leather: to draw your weapon
Smoked: drunk
To hustle it: to chug a beverage
Kram ("stuff"): a civilian's shop or dwelling place
Zick ("goat"): a coin that looks like a ducat from a distance unless you pick it up and inspect it, dunno how much it's worth
Vielmünz ("manycoins"): spare change
To ring against each other: to swordfight
"I will shoot money at you:" "I'll buy you drinks"

Edit: And the way they talk about non-military things is kinda military-ized, like they'll say "attack a problem" for "solve it" or "tend to one's own earthworks" for "concentrate on one's own affairs."

Oh wow, that must be where the phrases "das Problem in Angriff nehmen" and "kümmere dich um deinen eigenen Dreck" came from. Fascinating, this look into our own past.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Deleted cause of spoilers.

Monocled Falcon fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 19, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

gently caress, I forgot that had Shia LeBeouf in it. Definitely one to skip then.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I enjoyed it. Also, that's not Shia Lebouf you're thinking of, Shia played the religious nut.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Monocled Falcon posted:

Alright, so armed with knowledge culled from this thread and other sources, I watched the new movie Fury.

Don't watch it, it sucks. It would be terribly unrealistic for a '80s action movie.

It sounds like someone made the movie of the Let's Play - Combat Mission : Red Thunder thread. Totally accurate!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've heard the movie is at lest more accurate then other, similar war films. Also German tanks sometimes destroyed dozens of Shermans for each one taken out, so it sounds quite remarkable someone finally remembered that in a movie.

Since I've heard so much difference in opinion from different sources, I guess this means I will actually have to watch the movie to make up my mind.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

Oh wow, that must be where the phrases "das Problem in Angriff nehmen" and "kümmere dich um deinen eigenen Dreck" came from. Fascinating, this look into our own past.
I doubt the second one, since the guy said "Schanze."

xthetenth posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were stabbings over that sort of thing.
Depriving someone of his or her honor by insulting them or accusing them of something is a really big deal in this culture.

Like the two officers who worked for the Margrave of Hesse: in the course of a vicious months-long series of arguments that these two pursued throughout Germany, one of them accused the other one of horse thievery. This only made things worse, since because the accused was now dishonorable, the accuser couldn't fight a duel with him to just settle this thing. All he could do was send increasingly worked-up letters to the Margrave of Hesse. "If you were not my paymaster I would duel this man," he wrote, anguished. (Turns out the accused actually was a horse thief, and was eventually arrested for it.)

In a lot of regiments, accusing someone of something is a much bigger deal than doing that thing would have been. Which makes sense--these are tiny little communities, and as anyone who's been to a small college can tell you, gossip can destroy people in that kind of environment.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What was the penalty for horse thievery? Death?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

What was the penalty for horse thievery? Death?
No idea, the series of letters stops around that point.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

HEY GAL posted:

Having your head removed tends to inhibit your ability to write letters, perhaps. I wish there was a concrete answer though!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VanSandman posted:

Having your head removed tends to inhibit your ability to write letters, perhaps. I wish there was a concrete answer though!
The accuser was the letter writer; all he wanted was a public vindication from his paymaster/overlord, saying that he was honorable and the accused wasn't.

Edit: And also for the accused to reimburse him for the expenses he incurred while travelling back and forth from his hometown to collect evidence against the accusations that the accused threw against him in response to the first one. These people spent most of the 1620s suing each other instead of, you know, fighting a war.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 18, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

I was searching around a bit.

According to wikipedia, people were still judged and convicted according to the rule of the "Hochnothpeinlichen Halsgerichtsordnung". "Peinlich" means here the latin "poena", by the way.

After skimming a bit through the relevant Halsgerichtsordnung of Jasper Hanebuth's case, Found here if you want to read it in all its glory) it seems stealing a horse could lead, depending on your judge, to at least three outcomes:

-You pay money as restitution and/or get banished into exile
-You get shamed/and or crippled
-You get hanged

Apparently there's a lot of luck involved in this process. Also a lot of waiting, at least in Hanebuth's case: About a year passed between his confession of 19 murders and his very nasty execution.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 18, 2014

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

The draconian penalties for theft are strange up until you realize how little most people in this day and age own, and how much everything costs either in money or effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

On Fury chat, overall I wouldn't recommend seeing it but I thought they did a great job of showing the Shermans driving around the German countryside (the tanks do look great). The first two battles where four Shermans charge across a field firing cannons were cool, and by far the best part of the movie was four Shermans taking on a Tiger tank. Seeing shells ricochet off the Tiger as Sherman turrets flip through the air is definitely worth looking up on Netflix in a few months. Another positive for the film is showing horses being used extensively for transport, it's the only WWII film I've seen that includes that.

For the ending it copied and pasted from a Call of Duty turret scene from 15 years ago. The heroes Sherman hits a mine and is immobilized at a crossroads, while a few hundred SS troops are on their way and need to be stopped before they wreck a supply camp. The heroes decide to make a stand.
  • The heroes are able to get the drop on the SS by waiting for them to investigate the disabled Sherman, then shooting them at point blank range with SMGs and grenades. The SS responds by running in circles and firing rifles at the tank.
  • These SS troops appear to have been held in reserve for refusing to use their weapons at more than 50 yards, or to attack a disabled tank anywhere but the front where the heroes can mow them down. This includes panzerfausts only being fired from 10 yards away, and a sniper making a challenging 50 yards shot. They also make it sporting by stopping their attack whenever the heroes want to button up for a dramatic minute of dialogue.
  • My theory for the German incompetence is that they were supposed to be Hitler youth making a human wave attack, but the studio vetoed having Brad Pitt massacre kids and swapped in the SS without adjusting their degree of competence. Even older reservists would have made more sense.
  • Heroes die, one by one (including a grenade going off in the tank, somehow not deafening everyone else.) Our audience avatar Norman survives, and the movie ends.

So yeah, wait for Netflix instant and just watch the two early battle scenes.

• Locked thread