Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

demonR6 posted:

It has all been torn down and replaced with things from Frozen. I would not be surprised if they tore down Cinderella's Castle to the studs and turned it into the castle from the movie.

Well that stinks, but it's predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm making Frozen-overload jokes, too, but remember that one of the biggest reasons Disneyland was built was to promote Disney's movies. The Mouse is going balls to the wall on Frozen until the next big thing comes along. Also one of the reasons there will (very sadly) never be another Up or Wall-e. The two best films Pixar ever made are just not marketable from a merch standpoint.

Edit: see: Planes. And Planes 2, Planes 3, Planes 4...

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Lincoln posted:

I'm making Frozen-overload jokes, too, but remember that one of the biggest reasons Disneyland was built was to promote Disney's movies. The Mouse is going balls to the wall on Frozen until the next big thing comes along. Also one of the reasons there will (very sadly) never be another Up or Wall-e. The two best films Pixar ever made are just not marketable from a merch standpoint.

I wouldn't say that. Pixar is going to make whatever they think is good, or whatever they think is going to rake in cash. Wall-E and Up were both critical and box-office successes. Pixar also loves winning awards, so they'll continue making things that are actually good.

Cars, Planes, etc... that's just a cash cow moneymaker to sell toys. Then again, most of us are children of the 80s, so we ought to be pretty sympathetic to that. Half of the things we liked as kids were produced with the same goals and objectives. Then again, John Lasseter is also a bigtime toy collector, so I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't part of it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah, Pixar has enough cash and weight to throw around that they can more than afford to make both cash-in toy-selling movies like Planes AND Disney Princess style movies AND acclaimed movies like Up that make everyone cry and throw Oscars but don't have a marketable mascot. They have the luxury of not having to return a billion dollars on every single movie they make.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lincoln posted:

Good luck finding decent Wreck It Ralph merch. We tried last year (admittedly a year later than the release) and found absolutely nothing save a few sellers on Amazon. Even Downtown Disney and the parks had nothing at all. I just wanted a t-shirt. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I would throw a bag of kittens down a flighto of never-ending stairs for a plush of Wall-E and Eva.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Kittens. Now.

:colbert:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Kittens. Now.

:colbert:

I didn't think you were the type to murder kittens but alrighty, I guess I'll have to go find some. And a never-ending stairway.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Silly Burrito posted:

Well that stinks, but it's predictable.

The Game central station is becoming the beymax and (hiro?) character greeting experience. Outside Anna and Elsa doing their first appearance in the animation courtyard extended queue and olaf in the drawing class, the guest animation building has been relatively frozen free.

Not that I mind frozen at all. Bring it all on.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

demonR6 posted:

It has all been torn down and replaced with things from Frozen. I would not be surprised if they tore down Cinderella's Castle to the studs and turned it into the castle from the movie.

Someone thought they WERE doing that and was shouting about it in the park. I had to explain that what she was refering to was our annual christmas lights on the castle and that this year Anna and Elsa are lighting the lights rather than the Fairy Godmother.

I think I prevented a coronary.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I would throw a bag of kittens down a flighto of never-ending stairs for a plush of Wall-E and Eva.

I was walking through Toys R Us and saw this today.

Keep the kittens.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Another travel agent in a Facebook group I'm in says that Pirates is closing indefinitely sometime within the next year due to the foundation sinking. I've seen this rumor around for awhile but she swears her CM friend says it's true. Any CMs here have a clue?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Braksgirl posted:

Another travel agent in a Facebook group I'm in says that Pirates is closing indefinitely sometime within the next year due to the foundation sinking. I've seen this rumor around for awhile but she swears her CM friend says it's true. Any CMs here have a clue?

Great, they've found the opportunity to create a Frozen area..

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

LET IT GOOOOO!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Braksgirl posted:

Pirate of the Caribbean? That ride is such a poor imitation of the one in California, good riddance to it! It really feels like a half-hearted attempt to placate public demand.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Braksgirl posted:

I've heard that rumor as well but not from anyone I trust enough to put any amount of credibility into it. CM word of mouth tends to be about the least reliable source of information.

It does look like WDW's Mermaid ride will be getting a refurb starting February 2nd though. I hope it gets the upgrades that California's gotten.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
I'm planning a week-long trip in early May. How crazy is this...?

• Arrive Saturday afternoon/evening, stay on-site at a WDW resort
  • 5 days at WDW
  • 1 day-trip to Wizarding World of Harry Potter
  • 1 day-trip to Kennedy Space Center
  • Leave Sunday morning

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

scr0llwheel posted:

• 5 days at WDW
  • Leave Sunday morning
I did this exact trip a month ago! Well, we flew home Sunday evening (so had one extra morning in Epcot) and we spent two days at Universal rather than one, but other than that it was the same. We stayed at Port Orleans.

We got round all the parks without any great rush, went to all of them at least twice except Animal Kingdom which is fairly compact. You should have plenty of time to get around the Disney parks without feeling like you missed anything. (Edit: As mentioned in the post, get park hopper tickets, it's very helpful because you can jump around a bit. Epcot is great to hang out in the evenings, for example, and Studios probably isn't somewhere to spend an entire day in one go.)

You can definitely do Universal in a day even though we spent two there. It was also nice to know that we were going back so we didn't have race around everything but also we had extra friends with us the second time so we did a lot of the same stuff again. The Harry Potter stuff is fantastically themed, I'm British and I was amazed at what a great job they did. Forbidden Journey is amazing.

The Kennedy Space Centre was great, it was the surprise highlight of the trip. I just stood there staring at Atlantis, it was stunning just to see that in person. And the Saturn V is mindblowingly huge, again it was great to see. Loved every moment of this day.

So I'd say you have a perfectly good plan. Enjoy!

Edit: Forgot to say, when you arrive on the Sunday you should go to Epcot if you have the ticket days for it. Even if you just go there to grab food it's a nice way to introduce yourself to Disney. We flew in late afternoon and after we checked in we headed straight for Epcot. Did a lap of the lake, saw the pavilions, ate in the Italian place (we had a booking but there were places without queues, though that will depend on time of year and I have no idea if now is busier than early September) on the way around, caught up with my friends that I hadn't seen for a year, it was a really nice way to spend the first evening!

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 20, 2014

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I would say it's definitely doable if you have park hopper passes.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I used to work the pirate ride, a lot of good friends are pirates still and that sounded completely full of poo poo to them.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
My wife used to work Pirates and other than the ghost story she never heard of that but we are talking 15 years and anyone who knows Florida can tell you sinkholes open and swallow everything from cars to entire condo buildings. It's plausible but until we hear it from a really credible insider I would not take too much stock in it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

scr0llwheel posted:

• 5 days at WDW
  • Leave Sunday morning

Doing exactly this starting yesterday except it's 5 disney/ 2 universal and it's great so far. Did Hollywood Studios today.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Tunga posted:

The Kennedy Space Centre was great, it was the surprise highlight of the trip. I just stood there staring at Atlantis, it was stunning just to see that in person. And the Saturn V is mindblowingly huge, again it was great to see. Loved every moment of this day.

Super excited for KSC. I was there as a kid but am really looking forward to going back as an adult.

Tunga posted:

You can definitely do Universal in a day even though we spent two there. It was also nice to know that we were going back so we didn't have race around everything but also we had extra friends with us the second time so we did a lot of the same stuff again. The Harry Potter stuff is fantastically themed, I'm British and I was amazed at what a great job they did. Forbidden Journey is amazing.

Yeah, this is the one thing I'm worried about : I don't want to rush Harry Potter

Tunga posted:

So I'd say you have a perfectly good plan. Enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Is Kennedy a full day? I went there as a kid and have cool memories. Might be worth adding to our November trip.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tomapot posted:

Is Kennedy a full day? I went there as a kid and have cool memories. Might be worth adding to our November trip.
Yes, easily. We spent all day there and had to rush one of the exhibits at the end (the history of space travel one) and didn't make it into one at all (I'm not sure what it was). The Orbiter and Saturn V (including bus tour) exhibits will take up most of the day and they are excellent.

scr0llwheel posted:

Yeah, this is the one thing I'm worried about : I don't want to rush Harry Potter
You can easily do all the HP stuff in a day. Note that you'll need tickets to both parks to do Hogwarts Express (and you should, in both directions, it's extremely well crafted) and both of the big rides since it's split between the two. You may not get round every other ride in a day but you won't miss much. Transformers and Spiderman are fun, as is the Simpsons thing, and Hulk is worth a ride, most other stuff I could take it or leave it.

Edit: Oops, forgot Dueling Dragons, those are both pretty good coasters too.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 20, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mearn posted:

I've heard that rumor as well but not from anyone I trust enough to put any amount of credibility into it. CM word of mouth tends to be about the least reliable source of information.

It does look like WDW's Mermaid ride will be getting a refurb starting February 2nd though. I hope it gets the upgrades that California's gotten.

I hope they rip it out and make something worthwhile because VOTLM is bad. And I love dark rides.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I hope they rip it out and make something worthwhile because VOTLM is bad. And I love dark rides.

The enhancements Disneyland just got make it much better (although it still has issues with the story, just cutting large swaths out of the movie to fit it into a rideable length) and thats why we are getting a refurb here, to get the same (mainly to finally ad blacklights which the ride was designed for but were never installed)

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Perhaps when they were imagineering VOTLM they should have thought it out a little loner than scratching it down on napkins and throwing something against the wall. It's not like they did not have time considering they were building out a new area of the park and all that.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
My first time riding it was during not scary halloween, it wasn't horrible but it was underwhelming. The rubbery-bendy animatronics were neat. I think changing the lighting would be a big improvement because as it is, it feels kinda like rolling through a museum exhibit.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
As it sits, VOTLM is one of the least immersive dark rides at WDW. It starts out okay, but then it enters into that giant warehouse of dancing animatronics and it all falls apart as an experience. I'm glad to hear it's getting refurbed already.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They had better not lay a finger on awkward dancing Ariel.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The Ariel refurb news just hit our TA booking system. So many pissed travel agents.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
You know, The Little Mermaid AND the Snow Queen, the basis for Frozen, were both written by Hans Christian Andersen. Maybe they're inserting Anna and Elsa's parents under the sea.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Doronin posted:

You know, The Little Mermaid AND the Snow Queen, the basis for Frozen, were both written by Hans Christian Andersen. Maybe they're inserting Anna and Elsa's parents under the sea.

:lol: If they do I'll buy day-long tickets for some random goon to WDW park of their choice :toxx:

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

That is absolutely not true.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Half of Pirates isn't even on ground level. Not to mention it's considered a Disney staple now, It would have to take some BIG loving PROBLEMS(tm) to get them to close it.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

scr0llwheel posted:

Do yourself a favor and secure the "Lunch with an Astronaut" while you're there. It was one of the coolest experiences we did. Pretty neat to meet one face-to-face and ask questions.

Also, the launch-pad tour was amazing. You can get up to the bricks and see the damage caused by the engines.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

nbakyfan posted:

That is absolutely not true.

Yeah, I thought not. Now they're speculating about a 5th gate. These people are rumor whores.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

courtney_beth posted:

Do yourself a favor and secure the "Lunch with an Astronaut" while you're there. It was one of the coolest experiences we did. Pretty neat to meet one face-to-face and ask questions.

Also, the launch-pad tour was amazing. You can get up to the bricks and see the damage caused by the engines.

Sooo.. when you pee in your suit, what's it feel like and did it ever get in your helmet

Braksgirl posted:

Yeah, I thought not. Now they're speculating about a 5th gate. These people are rumor whores.

You know what I am going to say the gate is for right? :sotw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I honestly was surprised by the LACK of Frozen stuff in MK after how much people complain about it. I guess it's all hidden away in the princess pavilion. It was half of one float in the parade and a ton of children in Elsa dresses but that was all really.