Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone else have a problem with bluetooth speakers after upgrading? Before, my Logitech speaker would be able to stream audio across my (1,200 square foot) house into the kitchen. Now it can't make the 10 foot distance from my office to my bedroom. Tried it last night and this morning, and there are huge gaps in the audio. Before I would only get like 1-3 second pauses every hour or so. Now I can't even listen to one song from iTunes.

Between this and my iPhone 6, I'm starting to think Apple hates bluetooth. Or we got hit by a solar flare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ spaceweatherlive.com says nope, pretty quiet at the moment

Remember when I was saying Time Warner TV wouldn't play in Yosemite, no matter which browser? Turns out it was just another of TWC's typical but suspiciously coincidental outages! CNN, Z-Nation, and Ghost Hunters are back, yay.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 17, 2014

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm a basic user of Alfred (I use it to open apps, switch apps and open files).

Have any other basic users of Alfred dropped it altogether in favor of the new Spotlight features?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ spaceweatherlive.com says nope, pretty quiet at the moment

Yeah, I'm starting to think there's just something wrong with both of Apple's new OSs (Yosemite and iOS 8). On top of this bluetooth problem, my laptop is also getting a fraction of the speed I used to when using the internet. Just did the speedtest.net test, and I'm getting two different speeds based on the computer.

Windows 7 desktop (hardwired):
DL 59
UL 6.7

Macbook Pro Retina (wifi):
DL 11
UL 6.7

Streaming the audio via Airplay to my AppleTV last night was also unplayable. I'm pretty close to rolling back to Mavericks.

EDIT: I just did some searching, and saw some reference to Wifi using 2.3GHz to 5GHz. I was using 2.3 and switched to 5. Now speed test tells me I'm getting 42 down at least.

IUG fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 17, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dark Mode on non-Retina external display: does the font smoothing look terrible to anyone else? Wonder if this is due to my aging Mini, or Apple just not caring too much about non-Retina.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Dark mode is cool, but it breaks the icons and the menus for some of my applications. Crashplan comes up as white test on white. Teamviewer does too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dexter6 posted:

I'm a basic user of Alfred (I use it to open apps, switch apps and open files).

Have any other basic users of Alfred dropped it altogether in favor of the new Spotlight features?

I did but then again all I ever used Alfred for was opening apps so I'm not missing out on anything I can think of (yet).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Font smoothing issue would be my guess. Did you go into System Preferences/General and toggle on/off the "Use LCD Font Smoothing" checkbox and see if it makes a difference? (You can see the results instantly if a Finder window is open at the time)

Good suggestion but that was the first thing I tried to no avail. :(

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I've got the "Apple Apps to accept" bug in the App Store too. Signing out then back in doesn't work.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder if that is related to Family Sharing? I have that turned on, and have the apps under someone else's ID in my list.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Other Yosemite quirks discovered on a 13" Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro:

- Taking two minutes to shut down, most of which was spent in a black screen waiting for my Apple logo to turn dark. Happens one out of three shutdowns.

- Starting up with no Notification Center or any other menu items, especially MenuMeters which as far as I know follows Apple guidelines 100%.

- With no Safari extensions like ClickToFlash enabled, Safari randomly deciding it doesn't want to load a web page.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
I seem to have the ability to get Notification Centre to stop anywhere I like, just a sliver, half open, you name it, it is happy to stay there and not scroll itself off screen:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

2nd try: Is it possible to hide the tab bar in Safari in full screen mode? driving me crazy

Also, is it possible to send photos from iPhone -> Mac ? I can Airdrop photos from my laptop to my phone easily, but I don't see how to do it the other way around.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You cannot hide the tab bar.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

carry on then posted:

You cannot hide the tab bar.

I immediately regret this upgrade :smith:

Thanks!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fiki posted:

Thanks, this fixed it! I can't imagine why Google would provide instructions to do the opposite but I'm happy now.

When gmail launched, their marketing was basically so much free space you never have to delete mail, ever! Just archive everything!

ufarn posted:

Getting my mom an Air, but I would rather she got a model with Yosemite pre-installed. Is there any good way to make sure you get a Yosemite model?

I don't live near an Apple store to stop by to ask around in, unfortunately.

Any particular reason why? The upgrade to Yosemite is free and is as easy as 4 clicks and a password.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kingnothing posted:

Any particular reason why? The upgrade to Yosemite is free and is as easy as 4 clicks and a password.

Well, the 5 GB download could be painful on something like DSL.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Is anyone aware of some command or file edit that would move a right-side Dock back to the lower position it used to occupy? In Yosemite it is now centered. I can't be the only one wanting this back.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Does anyone know why the translucency isn't working on anything now that I've updated to Yosemite? Do I need to enable it somewhere?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

spongeworthy posted:

Is anyone aware of some command or file edit that would move a right-side Dock back to the lower position it used to occupy? In Yosemite it is now centered. I can't be the only one wanting this back.

There used to be a Terminal command but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I too would like it in the corner.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I wonder how long Apple will take to add Continuity to Books, pretty lame it isn't there day one.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Super Dude posted:

Does anyone know why the translucency isn't working on anything now that I've updated to Yosemite? Do I need to enable it somewhere?

There's a setting in accessibility to reduce transparency, maybe check that. Out of curiosity, what hardware are you using?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Well poo poo.

I just updated to Yosemite on my MBP, updated apps, and restarted my computer. Now after the screen with the Apple logo I see a greyed out circle with a slash through it. What the hell?

e: Looks to be an issue with Trim Enabler. Fixed my issue but now I don't have TRIM enabled.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 17, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Reduced transparency is nice except on the Dock, which just gets a crummy grey background. Dark mode then fixes that, except half my bar apps have unusable icons in that mode. Plus the dark mode looks kind of bad on my screen.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Feenix posted:

Thats what mine looked like earlier. Now it looks like this:

http://cl.ly/image/2c2t0E1Z3m2P

Did you disable transparency?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ninja Rope posted:

Did you disable transparency?

I reduced Transparency AFTER I discovered this, as a means to have better looking text. Anyhow, a reboot today fixed both the transparency text being fuzzy *AND* the Volume window hard-black edges.

[edit] So ahhh... yesterday after Yosemitizing my iMac, Safari had a row of my bookmarks 'bar' stuff between the URL bar and my active tabs. (As it should have.)

After a reboot today, it's gone and I am not finding where I reactivate it??

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 17, 2014

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

carry on then posted:

There's a setting in accessibility to reduce transparency, maybe check that. Out of curiosity, what hardware are you using?

It looks like my issue was that the color of my background was gray-ish so the transparency wasn't really showing. I'm using a late 2013 Retina MBP.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
* Random super-long shutdowns (nearly 1 minute) instead of quick. I thought things were bad in 10.7/8/9.

* I hate that the + button defaults to FULL SCREEN mode unless you hold the Option/Alt key.

App Store:

* Keeps asking me to tie bundled applications to my Apple ID. They are already tied to it. I tried signing out and then back in, rebooting, etc.

* Notified me that there is 1 update available for Apple Remote Desktop. 3.7.2 from March 2014. I already run 3.7.2. When I try to update it says:

"Remote Desktop is already installed on this computer. Choose Software Update from the Apple menu to check for available updates."

If I try to re-install 3.7.2 (manual download from Apple's site), it says I have a newer version installed (even though 3.7.2 is the latest).

Other than that, things have worked well with 10.10.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Has anyone run VirtualBox or VMware Fusion 6 on Yosemite yet? I'd like to upgrade, but both these pieces of software are pretty critical parts of my workflow.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
The upgrade took less than 20 minutes on my MacBook Retina and over 2 hours on my 2011 iMac. Had all sorts of issues with updating my apps on the iMac too.

I'm still having an issue that plagued me in Mavericks happen in Yosemite. Every so often the swiping back and forth on the mouse or track pad in order to go back/forward in a web page completely stops working. I've tried all the "remedies" that I have found online but can't figure it out. It's loving annoying though because the only way to fix it is a complete reboot.

I run 2 additional monitors on my iMac and I'm seeing two new icons on the task bar of which every monitor isn't the one I'm using. One is a black circle, the other is a black box with a small horizontal black line at the bottom of it. Every time I try to click on one they completely disappear. Even if I just click on something in that monitor, they disappear. It's pretty distracting because when they flicker off the toolbar basically redraws itself. Anyone have any idea what these are or how to get rid of them?

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.
I can vouch for VirtualBox—as of the last bug fix update, it works fine with Yosemite.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

IUG posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with bluetooth speakers after upgrading? Before, my Logitech speaker would be able to stream audio across my (1,200 square foot) house into the kitchen. Now it can't make the 10 foot distance from my office to my bedroom. Tried it last night and this morning, and there are huge gaps in the audio. Before I would only get like 1-3 second pauses every hour or so. Now I can't even listen to one song from iTunes.

Between this and my iPhone 6, I'm starting to think Apple hates bluetooth. Or we got hit by a solar flare.

Not speakers, but my magic trackpad frequently drops its connection in the same environments where it was fine under Mavericks.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

I am having an issue turning on Handoff on my MacBook Air (Mid 2011). It supports the right version of Bluetooth according to the System Profile, but there's no checkbox to turn it on in General.

Edit: What the hell? The documentation says you need a 2012 Mac? That's loving bullshit!

It uses Bluetooth and WiFi. If both aren't up to snuff (and they aren't in a 2011 Mac), you get nothing.

Misogynist posted:

Has anyone run VirtualBox or VMware Fusion 6 on Yosemite yet? I'd like to upgrade, but both these pieces of software are pretty critical parts of my workflow.

VirtualBox, as mentioned, has been updated.

VMware will require an upgrade to 7. (Unless they rolled out an update to 6 that I missed.)

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 17, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Feenix posted:

[edit] So ahhh... yesterday after Yosemitizing my iMac, Safari had a row of my bookmarks 'bar' stuff between the URL bar and my active tabs. (As it should have.)

After a reboot today, it's gone and I am not finding where I reactivate it??

There is a button to bring the bar back, it's under the "customize panel" or whatever when you right click up there. This was my least enjoyed change to safari.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What about putting Safari in focus, then in the menu go View - Show Favorites Bar? Or are you guys talking about something else?

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
I'm currently using Stay to reposition my windows when I connect/disconnect my external monitors, but it feels a bit clunky.

I think there were some alternatives posted here a few days ago but I can't find them.

Any recommendations?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

IUG posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to think there's just something wrong with both of Apple's new OSs (Yosemite and iOS 8). On top of this bluetooth problem, my laptop is also getting a fraction of the speed I used to when using the internet. Just did the speedtest.net test, and I'm getting two different speeds based on the computer.

Windows 7 desktop (hardwired):
DL 59
UL 6.7

Macbook Pro Retina (wifi):
DL 11
UL 6.7

Streaming the audio via Airplay to my AppleTV last night was also unplayable. I'm pretty close to rolling back to Mavericks.

EDIT: I just did some searching, and saw some reference to Wifi using 2.3GHz to 5GHz. I was using 2.3 and switched to 5. Now speed test tells me I'm getting 42 down at least.

That most likely explains the BT issue as well. BT lives in the unlicensed 2.4GHz bands as well. There are a *ton* of things that could be causing interference. Not just channel contention from neighbors, but any baby monitors, non-WiFi wireless security cams, some cordless phones, microwave ovens (really). BT is *supposed* to be able to dynamically adjust, but there may just be that much noise in your RF airspace.

E: If you have another computer/device to test the speakers and/or WiFi that would help. You can then see if it is, in fact, too much RF noise or if you need to call Apple Support.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 17, 2014

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

VirtualBox, as mentioned, has been updated.

VMware will require an upgrade to 7. (Unless they rolled out an update to 6 that I missed.)

Unless there was an update I didn't pay attention to, Fusion 6 is running fine for me. I was running it all day today.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

smackfu posted:

Dark Mode on non-Retina external display: does the font smoothing look terrible to anyone else? Wonder if this is due to my aging Mini, or Apple just not caring too much about non-Retina.

Last time I had a problem with an external display it was due to wrong rgb settings as explained here http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Done with the Mailbox app for Mac beta. Went back to Airmail, upgraded to Airmail 2 in fact. Nothing really wrong with Mailbox per se, but it's a little...too simplified for desktop? I'll continue to use the iOS version though, works fine on a mobile device.

Also a heads up for those that use Jump Desktop. 5.0 will have you run into issues if you have a lot of machines on your network with RDP or VNC ports. Currently beachballs when it gets overwhelmed from doing device discovery. Been sending emails to the devs since yesterday and already got something of a fix for now.