Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

fleshweasel posted:

Honestly I expected iCloud Drive to be crappy at first and I haven't been disappointed.

Should I enable icloud drive now that I have yosemite and ios8 on everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

So on Safari I have an option to Hide the Tab Bar but it's always greyed out. Looking at all my open tabs is really annoying me on full screen mode. Does anyone know what's happening? Why is that option grey? It's the Shift+CMD+T shortcut, doesn't work.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I suspect that you can only hide it if you have a single tab open in that window.

re iCloud Drive: Do you actually use it? I would enable it regardless, but don't depend on it until it's gone through the paces some more. I'm sticking with dropbox for the time being.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Fonts everywhere looks crisp and nice, but the left bar on my Finder windows (the gray area that has things like All My Files and iCloud Files, etc looks to be much hazier and more low rez. Anyone else noticed this?

[edit] Actually so does everything on dropdown menubar and menubar) and right click menus...

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
That's called vibrancy. It's translucence. LOL.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

decypher posted:

That's called vibrancy. It's translucence. LOL.

It's... not attractive. Any settings where I can gently caress with that some?

[edit] For the record, we're both talking about this, right?

http://cl.ly/image/1S2r1e243n2G

How horrendously fuzzy the text is on the left by comparison to actual text in the window...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 17, 2014

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Feenix posted:

Accessibility settings.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

slogsdon posted:

Accessibility settings.

Oh poo poo. Thank gently caress! :)

Thank you!

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know why the UI icon for changing display brightness or volume is a weird looking black square with slightly rounded inner square?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

CygnusTM posted:

Then you are going to be bummed. But it appears you may be able to get it if you upgrade the Airport card.

Ah well. Just ordered a new MBP.. guess I was due for an upgrade anyhow.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

DaNzA posted:

Anyone know why the UI icon for changing display brightness or volume is a weird looking black square with slightly rounded inner square?

Just noticing this too... :\

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Feenix posted:

[edit] For the record, we're both talking about this, right?

http://cl.ly/image/1S2r1e243n2G

How horrendously fuzzy the text is on the left by comparison to actual text in the window...

That should not look like that.

Yes you should have the translucency, no the text should not be horrendously fuzzy.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Molten Llama posted:

That should not look like that.

Yes you should have the translucency, no the text should not be horrendously fuzzy.

Word? Some kind of bug maybe? I wonder what it should be looking like?

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
After upgrading to Yosemite I decided to finally give Mail a shot instead of logging into Gmail through a browser. Everything seemed to be okay after following the instructions from Google (https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78892?hl=en&ref_topic=3397500). What's driving me nuts is that when I delete an email, it doesn't show up in the Trash folder, but instead goes directly to All Mail. is there any way to have the Delete button/key send emails to the Trash folder? I've looked through all the settings I can think of on both Gmail and Mail.app without any success.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

DaNzA posted:

Huh?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fiki posted:

After upgrading to Yosemite I decided to finally give Mail a shot instead of logging into Gmail through a browser. Everything seemed to be okay after following the instructions from Google (https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78892?hl=en&ref_topic=3397500). What's driving me nuts is that when I delete an email, it doesn't show up in the Trash folder, but instead goes directly to All Mail. is there any way to have the Delete button/key send emails to the Trash folder? I've looked through all the settings I can think of on both Gmail and Mail.app without any success.
It's set to Archive instead of Trash, sounds like.

In the mail app, right-click the inbox of the account in question, choose Get Account Info, go to the Mailbox Behaviors tab, and in the Trash section make sure "move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox" is checked.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Thats what mine looked like earlier. Now it looks like this:

http://cl.ly/image/2c2t0E1Z3m2P

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Thats what mine looked like earlier. Now it looks like this:

http://cl.ly/image/2c2t0E1Z3m2P
Been a somewhat-frequent issue throughout the DPs/PBs judging by how often it came up on MacRumors Forums. I have to imagine Apple is aware of it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Been a somewhat-frequent issue throughout the DPs/PBs judging by how often it came up on MacRumors Forums. I have to imagine Apple is aware of it.

Yeah no worries. Not stressing, just figured i'd provide visual evidence.

More interested in apparently why my Translucence text is so fuzzy. Best guess is it's just another little bug. :)

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It's set to Archive instead of Trash, sounds like.

In the mail app, right-click the inbox of the account in question, choose Get Account Info, go to the Mailbox Behaviors tab, and in the Trash section make sure "move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox" is checked.

Thanks, this fixed it! I can't imagine why Google would provide instructions to do the opposite but I'm happy now.

Fiki fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 17, 2014

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Feenix posted:

More interested in apparently why my Translucence text is so fuzzy. Best guess is it's just another little bug. :)
Font smoothing issue would be my guess. Did you go into System Preferences/General and toggle on/off the "Use LCD Font Smoothing" checkbox and see if it makes a difference? (You can see the results instantly if a Finder window is open at the time)

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Fiki posted:

Thanks, this fixed it! I can't imagine why Google would provide instructions to do the opposite but I'm happy now.

Because then you can press the delete key to archive your messages.

I am having an issue turning on Handoff on my MacBook Air (Mid 2011). It supports the right version of Bluetooth according to the System Profile, but there's no checkbox to turn it on in General.

Edit: What the hell? The documentation says you need a 2012 Mac? That's loving bullshit!

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 17, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If I just use Finder to copy a folder of pictures to my iCloud folder, will iOS apps be able to access them in some way or are they each sandboxed to their own bit of it?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Pissflaps posted:

If I just use Finder to copy a folder of pictures to my iCloud folder, will iOS apps be able to access them in some way or are they each sandboxed to their own bit of it?

iOS apps are allowed to access your entire iCloud Drive, if the developers so desire them to. And I think they're still sandboxed, just sandboxed to files you pick in the picker, just like on the Mac.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
This might sound like the dumbest thing ever, but is there a way to stop certain applications from opening up in a new space?

for example, using mplayerx, if you play a video and then full screen it, it opens a new space, then plays the video in that. Which isn't a huge deal, except the animation to go to and from a new space takes way too long.

Same with certain web players, like youtube's html5 player and vimeo.

I just want it to full screen instantly with no animation, or to speed up that animation

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Here's my annoying edge case:

I prefer using Picasa over iPhotos on my mac. I just do.

For a while i've had my photos in a synced google drive folder, and have added that as a watched folder in Picassa and everything works fine. My photos sync and i can edit and manage them in picassa.

Now i've moved my photos folder to my iCloud folder and I can't find a way of adding them to the picassa 'watch folder' list. I've tried creating an alias and a symbolic link to the folder on my desktop but neither show up in Picassa's custom 'folder manager' GUI, and neither does the local location of the iCloud storage. The Picassa gui doesn't allow for drag and drop and i cant work out where in the picassa package the config file might be that I can manually edit.

I'm aware i'm trying to use the client for one cloud service work with the backend of another, which is never likely to be easy, but has anybody got any bright ideas?

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I had Obsidian Menu Bar installed and then i Installed Yosemite and now it looks like poo poo????

The date and batter % remains invisible, even though I run the yosemite restore thing.
How do I fix this. Help me idiots.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Getting my mom an Air, but I would rather she got a model with Yosemite pre-installed. Is there any good way to make sure you get a Yosemite model?

I don't live near an Apple store to stop by to ask around in, unfortunately.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
More of my edge case musings:

I think i'm overthinking this and might just try moving to iPhoto (thats going in a few months, isnt it?)

The problem i've got with that is that iPhoto doesn't do folder watching, and I don't want all my photos in a big iPhoto library file. I can add folders in referenced mode, but apparently that causes problems.

edit: why doesnt my notification center thing have an edit button??

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 17, 2014

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Can anyone recommend a decent GUI based app to work with plists? Plist Editor Pro is $AU35, and I just can't justify that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I get that if I want the latest Yosemite build (have been using the beta) I have to download it again from the App Store, but... does it matter? What has changed between 388b and 389? Will I still be able to update to 10.10.1 whenever that comes in?

Edit:

Pissflaps posted:

Here's my annoying edge case:

I prefer using Picasa over iPhotos on my mac. I just do.

For a while i've had my photos in a synced google drive folder, and have added that as a watched folder in Picassa and everything works fine. My photos sync and i can edit and manage them in picassa.

Now i've moved my photos folder to my iCloud folder and I can't find a way of adding them to the picassa 'watch folder' list. I've tried creating an alias and a symbolic link to the folder on my desktop but neither show up in Picassa's custom 'folder manager' GUI, and neither does the local location of the iCloud storage. The Picassa gui doesn't allow for drag and drop and i cant work out where in the picassa package the config file might be that I can manually edit.

I'm aware i'm trying to use the client for one cloud service work with the backend of another, which is never likely to be easy, but has anybody got any bright ideas?
In Siracusa's review he reveals that iCloud Drive stuff is stored locally at ~/Library/Mobile Documents - you could try poking around in there in Terminal to find where the Picasa stuff is actually located on your machine and maybe use that to point it in the right direction. Also this might break everything spectacularly I don't know!

Also, in Notification centre are you in Today view or Notification view? Only Today view has an edit button at the bottom.

TACD fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 17, 2014

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How do I make a bootable installation disk for Yosemite?
  • Download Yosemite from the Mac App Store on any compatible Mac.
  • Format a USB drive with Disk Utility with the default volume name of "Untitled"
  • Open Terminal and run this command:
    code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction
  • Wait a bit (can be up to 30 minutes on a slow USB drive) until the Terminal output states that the process is finished.
This can be used for clean installations or in-place upgrades.

Thanks!

What's the best way to replace all of my partitions (i.e. completely empty system)? Can I boot to the new installation media and use disk utility to delete all of the partitions on the drive? Will it then recreate the recovery partition too?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Before I upgrade, is anyone having issues with Trim Enabler and Yosemite? Should I turn off Trim Enabler before updating just to be safe?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Vinlaen posted:

Thanks!

What's the best way to replace all of my partitions (i.e. completely empty system)? Can I boot to the new installation media and use disk utility to delete all of the partitions on the drive? Will it then recreate the recovery partition too?

Yes.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

RocketLunatic posted:

Before I upgrade, is anyone having issues with Trim Enabler and Yosemite? Should I turn off Trim Enabler before updating just to be safe?

I updated without turning off Trim Enabler, and merely got a notification that trim had been turned off when Yosemite first booted. I've read reports that enabling it again in Yosemite will stop it from booting though, so I've just uninstalled it and I'll wait a few weeks to see what the best solution/workaround is.

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!
Am I being dumb or is it going to cost me £6.99 to update Airmail to Airmail 2 for Yosemite?

I only bought Airmail in August :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

diehlr posted:

To those still running on 4 GB memory. Upgrade. Even if you are using an SSD. Checking Activity Monitor with nothing open but 2 Safari tabs, and all Physical memory is used. This is up sharply from Mavericks, which in a similar scenario would have had around 500 MB free.

Even with an SSD in my 13" MBP 2013, I am feeling pretty heavy swapping. I can't even imagine how bad this would be on a mechanical drive.

Yosemite gobbles up any RAM for caching. It will release it if an app requests it. My 13" Air with 4GB is fine.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ufarn posted:

Getting my mom an Air, but I would rather she got a model with Yosemite pre-installed. Is there any good way to make sure you get a Yosemite model?

I don't live near an Apple store to stop by to ask around in, unfortunately.

Wait a month for stock to clear out?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jamus posted:

I updated without turning off Trim Enabler, and merely got a notification that trim had been turned off when Yosemite first booted. I've read reports that enabling it again in Yosemite will stop it from booting though, so I've just uninstalled it and I'll wait a few weeks to see what the best solution/workaround is.
You should be fine - the software has been updated to take kext signing into consideration.

However, if you want to be really sure then here is a more recent post that should be updated with information on compatibility with the public release later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Malf posted:

Am I being dumb or is it going to cost me £6.99 to update Airmail to Airmail 2 for Yosemite?

I only bought Airmail in August :(

I'd like to hear some impressions of it too before I upgrade. I bought Airmail 1 a long time ago for $2 or whatever it was back then, and it was by far my favorite mail client I've ever used. Has the stock Mail improved enough that I don't need another anymore? I'm all for supporting good products but I'm not gonna blindly pay for something.