Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chickam this weekend will be tomorrow, Sunday, instead of today so that one of my brother-in-law's can see it--he only works Saturdays and has missed it so far.
There will be another pumpkin tomorrow!

Also, lookit what I have! :neckbeard:
The kid's Ag teacher emailed me and said they had a 4-5 month old bonded pair of bantam Cochins, and did I want them? :henget:

That's Olive the hen on the left, Mushroom the roo on the right. They sat beside me on the couch all night like little lap dumplings and got petted. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The kid's Ag teacher emailed me and said they had a 4-5 month old bonded pair of bantam Cochins, and did I want them? :henget:

Chicken Math kicks in once more, I see.

Are those fluffypants on Olive?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

That's Olive the hen on the left, Mushroom the roo on the right. They sat beside me on the couch all night like little lap dumplings and got petted. :)

OMG! So adorable! How big are they compared to the larger chooks? I bet Weedcat just towers over them!

They're both so pretty. And yes, it does look like Olive is wearing a pair of fluffypants. :D

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
They are so ADORABLE! Look forward to 'meeting' them! hee heee

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Oh my. They are adorable.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Chickam this weekend will be tomorrow, Sunday, instead of today so that one of my brother-in-law's can see it--he only works Saturdays and has missed it so far.
There will be another pumpkin tomorrow!

I see you finally got the chickens you wanted.

(get more please so I can stare at them better.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Olive and Mushroom, eh? Pizza toppings!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

WARNING - The new USTREAM chat kinda sucks! If you follow Operation Migration you know what I mean! 'See' ya Sunday! Oh, will Olive and Mushroom be House Chickens?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

piscesbobbie posted:

Oh, will Olive and Mushroom be House Chickens?

Look at those sweet little faces! Just waiting to be spoiled -- eating treats, being cuddled, and playing vidya games every night. They SO NEED TO BE house chickens! :angel:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Yup, they are named after pizza toppings, and there is a story behind that, which I'll go into more later.

No, they won't be house chickens, they are going out into the small run today to learn where they live and give everyone else a chance to glare at them in disgust before they get turned out into the flock tonight. We're going to clip their wings because they are young enough to be ninnies and not heavy enough not to fly yet. They are pretty small--bigger than the d'Uccles but not full-sized bantam Cochin size yet. They like to sit next to 12_String on the couch and watch him play Destiny. :keke:

Olive has VERY fluffy pants and is more of a proper bantam Cochin shape than Mushroom, but he'll get there as he grows up.

Neither one of them really knows how to be a chicken, though--they balk at anything to eat other than chicken feed, and WON'T EAT CORN ON THE COB OR GRAPES. Poor things don't know how to be chickens yet. But they'll learn!

Update: Mushroom and Olive story and more pics! http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2014/09/mushroom-and-olive.html

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 23, 2014

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Olive has VERY fluffy pants and is more of a proper bantam Cochin shape than Mushroom, but he'll get there as he grows up.

Neither one of them really knows how to be a chicken, though--they balk at anything to eat other than chicken feed, and WON'T EAT CORN ON THE COB OR GRAPES. Poor things don't know how to be chickens yet. But they'll learn!

Perhaps you could put some of the smaller/gentler chickens in the run with them, just to teach them important chicken stuff. :3:

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
awww, yay! Congrats VS!! They're so cute! Looking forward to seeing them feathery fluff balls on the cam!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The cam is up and running, although the air is gunky from forest fire smoke from the King fire about 35 miles away. We'll switch to the pumpkin view in a bit! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Olive and Mushroom are in the small run on the right for now, getting something to eat undisturbed. We'll let them out in a bit.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The cam is up and running, although the air is gunky from forest fire smoke from the King fire about 35 miles away. We'll switch to the pumpkin view in a bit! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Olive and Mushroom are in the small run on the right for now, getting something to eat undisturbed. We'll let them out in a bit.

Watching the stream right now (21:00 GMT!) "Bloop, don't eat the camera okay?" :D

Ooh, pumpkincam!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The pumpkin is in! On this one I also cut a hole on each side, so eventually there will be chicken heads entering from the side as well as the front. :keke:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's a good sunday.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Raining now.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Dang it, it started to rain seriously, had to take the cam down. :( Sorry

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Dang it, it started to rain seriously, had to take the cam down. :( Sorry

Went to KFC I am wet like a wet dog! Thanks VS, that was fun while it lasted! Have a great week, hope to see it again next weekend :)

edit: It is to be expected. When on crutches or in the wheelchair it's impossible to hang on to an umbrella!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Raining steadily this weekend, so no Chickam, sorry! On the plus side, it's putting out the wildfires nearby and we have some snow in the upper elevations! :v:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Been raining east of you for the past 36 hours straight! Oh, VS, how are the little ones, Olive and Mushroom doing? :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

Been raining east of you for the past 36 hours straight! Oh, VS, how are the little ones, Olive and Mushroom doing? :)

They're doing great! Still bonded to each other and never more than about 6 inches apart, and come running over to us for pets and cuddles whenever we are out there. But very relaxed around the other chickens (even though Frosty is in love with Olive) and fitting in well. :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Just read your blog, adorable how you got the names for the babies! Look forward to seeing them! Have a great week! bye :)

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

They're doing great! Still bonded to each other and never more than about 6 inches apart, and come running over to us for pets and cuddles whenever we are out there. But very relaxed around the other chickens (even though Frosty is in love with Olive) and fitting in well. :)

uh oh, is this the making of a love triangle? hahaha...oh Frosty. Does CM have anything to "say" about this?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ As long as Frosty stays AWAY from CM, she doesn't care.

Because of scheduling conflicts, Chickam this week will be tomorrow, Sunday the 5th.

Also, we have a new rooster! He's a big guy, very quiet for a change. :) He'll be joining the flock and be on camera tomorrow!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 5, 2014

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Chickam will be up presently.

And we're up.

12_String fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 5, 2014

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

New rooster on cam now!

Hens don't care, Cam and the other roos are FREAKED. :keke:

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
?!?! A new Roo??? Where from? What kind? What's his name? Pictures please!
I missed him yesterday, but I did catch some egg songs~!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Phaena posted:

?!?! A new Roo??? Where from? What kind? What's his name? Pictures please!
I missed him yesterday, but I did catch some egg songs~!

New roo standing at the back. :D

VS, who is the white hen (with black tail) in the center? Is that Rose on the right? Poor, molty chooks! :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

New roo standing at the back. :D

VS, who is the white hen (with black tail) in the center? Is that Rose on the right? Poor, molty chooks! :)

The white Frizzle hen is Pong, age 11. Zip is the brown hen next to her. Not even zombie roosters faze Pong, she was raised with the kid's plastic dinosaurs all over the yard. And yes, that's Rose molting away on the right.

Pictures of the chickens meeting their new buddy forthcoming! Cam HATES HIM. He needs a name, BTW!

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

The stripes say Keaton all over them (or Betelgeuse if you wanna be accurate and stuff).

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Tricky Ed posted:

The stripes say Keaton all over them (or Betelgeuse if you wanna be accurate and stuff).

Those stripes are BONES! He should be called "Dem Bones"! :D

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
hahaha!!! Great pic of the new Roo, Inveigle!! (I knew there had to be something different about that Roo! XD )

You can combine the names: Keaton D. Bones !

What does Cam do to him? How does HMKFP feel about the new Roo?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

As promised, pics of the new roo meeting the chickens!

http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2014/10/meet-new-rooster.html

Also, Weedcat the Wise just plain hid out of sight of the new roo. If he can't see it, it doesn't exist.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

It's a beautiful day, and the cam is up and running, again at chicken level! We switched up the positioning of it a bit today and it's showing the other side of the yard. Which also means you get a good look at some of the rocks I've been raking up...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

OH MY HECK. I was reading the article from Wikipedia about Pekin chickens goes on to say are they Cochin.... anyway at the end of the article it says "Vent feathers may have to be trimmed in order to maximise fertility when breeding." sound familiar to you VS! lol!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks for the pics, VS! What would happen if you put meal worms on top of the "New Roo?"

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Phaena posted:

Thanks for the pics, VS! What would happen if you put meal worms on top of the "New Roo?"

The older hens would barg right in, knock him down and take his worms. :black101:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chickam will be tomorrow this weekend, as we have plans today!

Edit: And it's poultry-related, so I WILL be wearing my HMKFP T-shirt to this event. :v:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

After a cold night and a slow-to-warm-up morning, the cam is up and running!
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

• Locked thread