Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pukestain Pal posted:

Because it wasn't an oscar meyer truck filling up at a gas station. Figured anything had to be better than that.

Disagreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

Because it wasn't an oscar meyer truck filling up at a gas station. Figured anything had to be better than that.

Sorry, that image had something interesting going on. You still haven't answered my question - why did you post that? I'm not trying to single you out here but it's just an incredibly boring image. Did that sign appeal to you? What about it? Why did you choose to shoot it as if you were taking a snapshot to check in on Yelp? Did you think before you fired the shutter? Did you post it because you feel compelled to not throw it away?

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I took this on a street.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
going through some random street shots from a vacation

fl_dad+son by bgibb187, on Flickr

fl_fem by bgibb187, on Flickr

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 14, 2014

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I borrowed Magnum Contact Sheets from my school library, and so far its been endlessly interesting. Being relatively new to :effort: photography, I'm think starting to get at least an elementary understanding for how great photographers approach their craft. I'm thinking about what I've shot up to this point and 'working the scene' seems to definitely be something I need to be more mindful of going forward. For example, the one photo I've gotten the best feedback on (I've shared it before but will repost for sake of coherency in this post)

defense by dshenphotos, on Flickr

I got this after shooting these guys playing from 4-5 different angles over a period of about 20 minutes. This may seem so dumb and obvious to the seasoned guys here, but connecting what I'm reading with what I did to get that photo, I think I have a much better idea of how to find the kind of street photography subjects I want to shoot relative to my own interests. I'm looking forward to going out and shooting this weekend with a much clearer idea of what I'm trying to do.

What mindset do you guys have when going out and shooting? And what goon advice do you have on working scenes in public?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

hi liter posted:

What mindset do you guys have when going out and shooting? And what goon advice do you have on working scenes in public?

99 times out of 100 i'm "in the moment".

Bring an ipod along and listen to music, to tell the rest of the world and the rest of your senses to get hosed.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

99 times out of 100 i'm "in the moment".

Bring an ipod along and listen to music, to tell the rest of the world and the rest of your senses to get hosed.

So you don't use your eyesight?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

So you don't use your eyesight?

Be the Camera
Na na na naaaaaaaaa

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

hi liter posted:

I borrowed Magnum Contact Sheets from my school library, and so far its been endlessly interesting. Being relatively new to :effort: photography, I'm think starting to get at least an elementary understanding for how great photographers approach their craft. I'm thinking about what I've shot up to this point and 'working the scene' seems to definitely be something I need to be more mindful of going forward. For example, the one photo I've gotten the best feedback on (I've shared it before but will repost for sake of coherency in this post)

defense by dshenphotos, on Flickr

I got this after shooting these guys playing from 4-5 different angles over a period of about 20 minutes. This may seem so dumb and obvious to the seasoned guys here, but connecting what I'm reading with what I did to get that photo, I think I have a much better idea of how to find the kind of street photography subjects I want to shoot relative to my own interests. I'm looking forward to going out and shooting this weekend with a much clearer idea of what I'm trying to do.

Get to know your camera well. You should be able to visualize what will be in your shot before raising the viewfinder to your eye whether you're using a 28mm, 35mm, 50mm or whatever equivalent. If you can do that, you'll generally know where you need to be in relation to your subjects for your photo to work. Utilize zone focusing and adjust for exposure as you walk into differently lit areas. The only thinking you should be doing when you raise the camera is how to compose your shot.

As far as how to shoot, just go with your gut. Sometimes you'll have only a brief moment to capture something, other times you can plant your feet for half and hour and let the shots come to you. It really depends on your mood and circumstance. A good shot can happen anytime of the day or anywhere, but you can always increase your odds with a little preplanning. I typically try to go out during morning or afternoon rush hour when there's a good amount of foot traffic and good light. People commuting to and from work are usually a little more oblivious to you as well. If you're not feeling it or get into a rut, go grab a cup of coffee somewhere for 20 minutes.

Also read and watch every Garry Winogrand interview on the internet. Thinking of potential shots as visual problems needing to be solved helped me immensely.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 14, 2014

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Puddles by TomOlson, on Flickr

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
DSC_1440.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Yay, first good photo in this thread in forever.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

I'm jealous of you getting to see puddles and of your photo

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
:rip: Rangerscum, murdered by a clown

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Excuse me, how do you get rangerscum off of a clown suit?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

DSC00682.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

is this dumb and boring

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yeah, sorry.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

ansel autisms posted:

Yeah, sorry.

How dare you post up some pro street snapz or get out

Alright, thanks, sometimes you get an idea in your head and the idea is good but the photo isn't.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

e: gently caress this shite internet

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Geektox posted:

e: gently caress this shite internet

Amen.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

feigning interest posted:

Excuse me, how do you get rangerscum off of a clown suit?

Enthusiastically

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

edit: nvm, this isnt even street photography i was just loving around with normal photography, nothin street about weird pictures of a rainy evening downtown mostly devoid of people

edit here take this one:

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 18, 2014

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Mido posted:

edit: nvm, this isnt even street photography i was just loving around with normal photography, nothin street about weird pictures of a rainy evening downtown mostly devoid of people

edit here take this one:

:ssh: street photography as a term is a misnomer

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hey assholes im back and today i was way more aggressive with my candid subjects

-- a bad and busy photo but something about the business makes me like it

-- i know this one breaks the 'back facing' rule but the subject has more to do with the way they are sitting and less to do with their expressions :shobon:
-- was a second too late on this one and couldnt get it in focus, i took like 5 really quick shots of this interaction and this was the only salvageable one :sigh:

-- nothing special but i like it :saddowns:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Is this a little more interesting?

Umbrella by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Hanoi Traffic by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 19, 2014

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Mido posted:

-- a bad and busy photo but something about the business makes me like it

This is great. Even thought the picture is quite cluttered, your subject is very clear and she stands out nicely. I'd just crop that white bar on the right...

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Deep Throat, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Pukestain Pal posted:

I like the subject on this one but would like it more with more context (wider crop)

:)

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Pukestain Pal posted:

Subject is meh but composition rocks. Good photo.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Here is another one I think is decent from a recent trip.

Wide Load by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
This is a photo of a street. It was wet and windy.

CorkFloodsJanuary2014027_edited-2 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Mrenda posted:

This is a photo of a street. It was wet and windy.

CorkFloodsJanuary2014027_edited-2 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I know you got probated, but I still think it's a great photo back of the head or not. Really moody photo

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Pukestain Pal posted:

I know you got probated, but I still think it's a great photo back of the head or not. Really moody photo

Yeah I think it's a great photo too actually, it does a wonderful job of conveying the rainy feel of the scene and I'd (maybe) put it on my wall. On the other hand, comedy six-hours are necessary also.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If it's 6 hours per back-of-head, then I have just the thing in case I ever decide I want a lifetime probation.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

favorite from today:

the rest are just kinda nice:

theres some others that are just aesthetically pleasing but not interesting at all that i wont post

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Wild EEPROM posted:

If it's 6 hours per back-of-head, then I have just the thing in case I ever decide I want a lifetime probation.

Photos of my lap when your mom comes to visit? :v:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Mido posted:

favorite from today:

the rest are just kinda nice:

theres some others that are just aesthetically pleasing but not interesting at all that i wont post

first 2 are awesome. I'm curious, do you shoot from the hip?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

SoundMonkey posted:

On the other hand, comedy six-hours are necessary also.

Is it ok if it's the back of the head of a street beggar? (I'm ticking all the boxes here I think.)

Cork8thDecember2013Working003 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

first 2 are awesome. I'm curious, do you shoot from the hip?

not particularly, a lot of shots will feel cheap and bad if you shoot eye level so I have a bit of a lean or crouch, I try never to look at my screen or shot preview because then you get obsessive and look like an idiot. I just put my DSLR in aperture priority and have the dpad set to change focus/spot metering targets in the viewfinder and go to town and discover what did and didn't work when I get home and do my import