Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

pr0digal posted:

We've got two Starbucks machines in the office. Nothing special, you buy the beans, put them in the top and it makes them. Huge gently caress-off things.

And I got the best e-mail from a vendor (to my personal e-mail but called my work phone).

I mean I am, but I've got quotes out with two different vendors and I don't like cold calls.

Respond with 2. Don't mention a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

pr0digal posted:

We've got two Starbucks machines in the office. Nothing special, you buy the beans, put them in the top and it makes them. Huge gently caress-off things.

And I got the best e-mail from a vendor (to my personal e-mail but called my work phone).

I mean I am, but I've got quotes out with two different vendors and I don't like cold calls.

You should give this guy your business just because of this.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

pr0digal posted:

Seriously, sounds like he'd/they'd make an excellent client.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It took me a while to figure out that you weren't getting cold-called by coffee machine vendors (because I missed the last bit of the last option).

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Gerdalti posted:

Seriously, sounds like he'd/they'd make an excellent client.

I mean I could always do with a third quote...

Anybody heard of Unitrends? That's the vendor.

Ah I know why they're calling me, I did one of those "do this for a chance at an Amazon gift card" things and it was from Unitrends.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm new to IT (you can see my post in the IT careers thread if you want,) but I felt the need to share this absurd situation I dealt with recently:

I work for a company that does (among other things,) managed support. I'm normally a pretty low-level guy, since I'm new to IT and I've never had any formal training. I typically do patching, help-desk stuff, that sort of thing. Last week, I was just checking the schedule for some backup jobs for a client to make sure I didn't interfere with them for a server that I had to do a software update+reboot on.

When I was poking around in Backup Exec, I saw some errors in the job history...not the biggest of deals, probably something simple like a daily diff job failed because it couldn't communicate with a server that might have been rebooting, or a network hiccup, or something. I mean, if our monitoring+paging system didn't pick it up, can't be that serious, right?

A backup job was missed...in fact, ALL backup jobs were missed. Missed for all of this week...all of this month...all of last month...all of August...and that's as far back as I could see in BackupExec. Long story short, I was eventually able to see that the "Job Missed" alerts from our monitoring software started in the middle of July becase the Data Domain device went offline.

Our client has had NO backups at all since July. And we never got a single page or alert sent to a mailbox that anyone regularly looks at. (They were just sent to a generic 'Alerts' mailbox that gets hundreds of emails a day, and is only looked at when you need to know details on a specific alert.)

I can make another post detailing the literally week-long fiasco with Dell getting the drat Data Domain device back up and running, but suffice to say that going forward from now, we will definitely change our alerting and paging systems to page for a missed backup, not just a failed one. And Hell, just to be safe, we might throw some ping monitoring to the DD devices in as well.

As someone who works for a backup vendor...this is incredibly common.

Pretty much every backup solution worth any money at all gives you multiple ways to check backup status. Pretty much all of them do email notifications. Those that do cloud backups tend to have web-based dashboards. Some interface with centralized management solutions (nagios). Some just log events and you can point your management stuff to monitor those.

And so on.

But yet, it's drat near a daily occurrence that someone calls into support and complains they're unable to restore. The briefest check shows there have been no successful backups--usually for some dumb reason like their disk is full--for weeks or months.

I've seen some people who never had a successful backup. Again, usually for some dumb, simple reason.

So yeah. Don't be the MSP that falls into that trap. Set up your notifications.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I feel kind of bad getting quotes from the backup vendors (EMC and NetApp thus far) because our system is super convoluted.

We have a 192 TB Avid ISIS 5500 system but we're not looking to back that up (since we'd have to buy another ISIS because Avid doesn't play nice with other vendors). Our current system is a gently caress ton of tapes and we've got a Scalar i500; but tape archive is slow as poo poo. So we're looking for a system that we can back up our raw data (rich media, no de-duplication for us) onto and then archive to tape after a set amount of time. It will also serve as a platform to restore to which means it gets to be networked!

And also a near-line storage solution so that the high res media can be kept somewhere easily accessible instead of a bunch of external drives. I mean at the moment EMC and their Isilon system is looking pretty sweet as we need reliable storage more than backup software but it's also expensive.

Working in TV is fun. Because the shows get the good budgets, not me.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

pr0digal posted:

Ah I know why they're calling me, I did one of those "do this for a chance at an Amazon gift card" things and it was from Unitrends.

I've heard of Unitrends. They get ok reviews on spiceworks.

http://community.spiceworks.com/pages/unitrends?tab=13239

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ConfusedUs posted:

So yeah. Don't be the MSP that falls into that trap.

We won't be going forward, that's for sure.

Luckily, I'm totally off the hook for any repercussions. These notifications and alerts were all set up long before I came on board. If anything, I deserve a freakin' medal* for finding it and working through it with Dell for over a week...and even after they claimed it was done, still picking up some pieces their tech didn't entirely resolve.

*Actually, I did have a performance review today, and got a raise because of the new job role I've been doing so well, and skills I've been picking up,and working so hard, etc... :smug:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

pr0digal posted:

Tell me about it. Worst part was if some executives gambled on the wrong shows and they tanked. There goes the advertising, there goes the budget, and here come the layoffs. Except the execs, they usually hang on. Ask me about how they ran "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" into the ground.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
So... how DID they run it into the ground?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

totalnewbie posted:

So... how DID they run it into the ground?

Wiki covers it well, but basically ABC had a hit, so they decided to put it on five nights a week. 5 nights a week of Regis Philbin was more than America could handle. When the ratings dropped ABC floundered for a few years trying to find new shows to replace it until they caught lightening in a bottle with Lost and Desperate Housewives.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Wants_to_Be_a_Millionaire_(U.S._game_show)#ABC

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

tomapot posted:

Tell me about it. Worst part was if some executives gambled on the wrong shows and they tanked. There goes the advertising, there goes the budget, and here come the layoffs. Except the execs, they usually hang on. Ask me about how they ran "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" into the ground.

We just got bought (again) except this time by a major international network with a US studios branch. Well they bought 80% of our "entrainment group" for like 300 million so the pressure is on.

HR sent out an e-mail asking us to send in referrals for for Field and Office Production Assistants and Associate Producers and the bullpen is empty as hell. I think our Development department has to sell something like 200 hours of programming in the next year. And there's me trying to get approval to buy computers and other stuff.

We produce one of the Real Housewives series so we're still above water but we seem to be having a hard time finding people. loving election season. If anybody is in the DC area and has experience (or knows someone) in Film/TV field production and needs a PA/AP job then PM me and I'll pass your resume on.

Oh and in TV news: http://deadline.com/2014/10/it-crowd-remake-bill-lawrence-pilot-nbc-853163/

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

pr0digal posted:

I feel kind of bad getting quotes from the backup vendors (EMC and NetApp thus far) because our system is super convoluted.

We have a 192 TB Avid ISIS 5500 system but we're not looking to back that up (since we'd have to buy another ISIS because Avid doesn't play nice with other vendors). Our current system is a gently caress ton of tapes and we've got a Scalar i500; but tape archive is slow as poo poo. So we're looking for a system that we can back up our raw data (rich media, no de-duplication for us) onto and then archive to tape after a set amount of time. It will also serve as a platform to restore to which means it gets to be networked!

And also a near-line storage solution so that the high res media can be kept somewhere easily accessible instead of a bunch of external drives. I mean at the moment EMC and their Isilon system is looking pretty sweet as we need reliable storage more than backup software but it's also expensive.

Might be worth looking into stornext from quantum, for multi-mounting and auto archiving (you need to add storage though) - you may already be using it if you have Xsan anywhere. Isilon is not bad but if you don't need lots and lots of clients mounting the same storage you might be better off with something else.

If someone mentions infortrend, bludgeon them with a hammer, then run away.

We use HDS storage, DivArchive from front porch and stornext for doing this (albeit on the multi-pb scale).

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Zephirus posted:

Might be worth looking into stornext from quantum, for multi-mounting and auto archiving (you need to add storage though) - you may already be using it if you have Xsan anywhere. Isilon is not bad but if you don't need lots and lots of clients mounting the same storage you might be better off with something else.

If someone mentions infortrend, bludgeon them with a hammer, then run away.

We use HDS storage, DivArchive from front porch and stornext for doing this (albeit on the multi-pb scale).

Yeah I have experience with running a Xsan so I'm pretty familiar with StoreNext (or at least what Apple borrowed from them). Our fiber infrastructure isn't huge in the new office though.

Out of the vendors EMC seemed most at ease with our odd setup and came up with a hybrid system that would work for us. This is all planning stage stuff as I was asked to put it on the budget. The chances of us doing it in the next six months are pretty slim as the money is needed other places.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gilok posted:

Is your avatar someone killing a puppy? :stare:

Yeah. I don't like cute puppies.

It isn't real though, it's from the movie "Simon Says"... which FYI was terrible.

evol262 posted:

There are a million better places to be in the Minneapolis metro. Time to :yotj:

Agreed. I live in God's country, Ohio.

We are stationed in Columbus doing law enforcement and military biometric system support. Fingerprints, retinal scans, facial recognition, etc.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dave_Indeed posted:

Agreed. I live in God's country, Ohio.

We are stationed in Columbus doing law enforcement and military biometric system support. Fingerprints, retinal scans, facial recognition, etc.

I escaped Columbus Ohio three years ago and haven't looked back. Spent 20 years there growing up, and that's longer than anyone should ever spend there.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

FireSight posted:

I escaped Columbus Ohio three years ago and haven't looked back. Spent 20 years there growing up, and that's longer than anyone should ever spend there.

I know. We all threw a party when "the nerd" left.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Knormal posted:

How does this work? Surely you can't get a new license or do a drive test without having to talk to someone in person? Here in the US in most states you can do most things online, but plenty of things still require you to go in person just so they can verify you match the photo on your record and can still see at least a little bit.

I should clarify, you can use larger post offices for most simple poo poo, but they aren't DVLA employees and will likely be stumped by more complicated issues. Photos can be signed off by them (I think) or by a "trusted person" e.g. a doctor, school teacher etc. In my case I was trying to update my address and replace a defaced license at the same time.

Driving tests are run out of test centres, but they only do tests and aren't an office or whatever, they can't help you with paperwork.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

I should clarify, you can use larger post offices for most simple poo poo, but they aren't DVLA employees and will likely be stumped by more complicated issues. Photos can be signed off by them (I think) or by a "trusted person" e.g. a doctor, school teacher etc. In my case I was trying to update my address and replace a defaced license at the same time.

Don't forget the bit where you have to send everything by some kind of tracked system (e.g. recorded delivery) or else they'll just lose it and claim they never received it, and the bit where you have to use the same address but different postcode depending on what you actually want them to do. My favourite is that updating the address on your licence is separate from updating the address on your vehicle registration documents, so if you don't send them in two envelopes then one of them gets lost.

Those chucklefucks also managed to forget to send out the tax disc for my new car back in July, and eventually I gave up trying to make them replace it because in came the new rules for October where you don't have to have the paper disc any more, yay for driving around in an illegal vehicle for 3 months.

I dread to think what it's going to be like now that all the tax and registration checks are all done online, plenty of people have gotten poo poo due to the police using offline two week old copies of the insurance database, and that isn't even run by the DVLA.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Dave_Indeed posted:

I know. We all threw a party when "the nerd" left.

:master:

You're all wrong. Northeast for life

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I hate poorly documented tickets.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I'm trying so hard not rant right now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Renegret posted:

I hate poorly documented tickets.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I'm trying so hard not rant right now.

Poorly documented resolutions, my bane.

Resolution seen today: "sccm"

Translation: "I installed something on their computer."

What they seem to actually have done: Attempted to install WordPerfect Office on that computer. Why the gently caress would you ever install WordPerfect Office anywhere?!? (Actually, why do we even have a package for that...)
Discovered it by the user calling in, complaining about constantly getting popups about an installation failing.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Heh, it's just as bad with developers.
pre:
Revision 19953: Fixed bugs.
Well poo poo, thanks. Guess I'm going to have to run a diff on the entire thing and check each individual line of each individual file you changed. Oh hey, did you add comments to your code? Of course you didn't, silly me!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

After 19953 revisions pretty sure id give up leaving detailed change logs to. :v

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

After 19953 revisions pretty sure id give up leaving detailed change logs to. :v

That's not 19953 changes by that developer, that's 19953 in the entire codebase to that point, which may spam multiple products across multiple decades.

You think that's high, wait until you see change numbers in the millions or higher.

Also, developers who leave messages like this should be fired into the sun :argh:.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nielsm posted:

Poorly documented resolutions, my bane.

Resolution seen today: "sccm"

Translation: "I installed something on their computer."

What they seem to actually have done: Attempted to install WordPerfect Office on that computer. Why the gently caress would you ever install WordPerfect Office anywhere?!? (Actually, why do we even have a package for that...)
Discovered it by the user calling in, complaining about constantly getting popups about an installation failing.

Our helpdesk just set tickets to solved without ever actually fixing them or getting in contact with the customer in any way. They figure that if they've gotten away with 4 days without making any progress on the issue or even responding to the customer then they can probably get away with just ignoring the issue entirely.

It's starting to piss a lot of people off.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I do escalations/complex issues in an isp call center. Every time we train someone new to the team, I tell them I want 5 questions to be answered in their ticket notes in order for them to be "good notes".

What did the customer report?
What did you see?
What did you do?
What did that do?
What's next?

No one ever answers them. :(

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Can you auto-populate the ticket window with those questions? Worked pretty well at a shop I used to work at where we coded our own.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

pr0digal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-qEutnxfMk

Unitrends mascot until recently has been some sort of anime character called Aptari. I think its a robot now.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Ahahaha that's amazing. My favorite part is how obvious it is that they intended to dub this in like a billion languages so it's not even close to lip-synched.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lampey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-qEutnxfMk

Unitrends mascot until recently has been some sort of anime character called Aptari. I think its a robot now.

The worst thing is HOW IN THE gently caress ARE THOSE EARBUDS STAYING IN HER CAT EARS?

A close second is the way this "support person" sarcastically responds "really?" to every customer who calls her.

This is clear a company that is all IT people and no managers.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Tracking down a SQL error and came up with with the cause...DOOM.

From the KB:
the data provider incorrectly sets a connection to a doomed state if a response is slow

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

Can you auto-populate the ticket window with those questions? Worked pretty well at a shop I used to work at where we coded our own.

I wish.. Overall ticketing is done on the national (branded) ticketing system, and internally our team uses sharepoint as an issue tracker because we apparently hate things that are good. I'm considering stapling papers to people that say that though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

A close second is the way this "support person" sarcastically responds "really?" to every customer who calls her.

It's probably just poorly localized and put in there because the lips are moving. Like Naruto's "BELIEVE IT!"

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Everyone is out this week. I am the only one left. This is due to poor vacation planning on the part of HR and on the part of an employee quitting.

My Support desk just dumped 127 tickets into my queue this morning. They flipped me 127 tickets all with an expected 1 day response time. There is no way I'm getting through these, especially as new tickets come in and support keeps re-prioritizing my cases for me on the fly.

Just loving kill me.

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 21, 2014

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nielsm posted:

What they seem to actually have done: Attempted to install WordPerfect Office on that computer. Why the gently caress would you ever install WordPerfect Office anywhere?!?

I did that for a client back in the early 90s. I wanted his money, he wanted a workgroup system with email. I got his money, but it turns out that WPO 1.0 didn't ship in a working condition. Support actually admitted that, which was pretty big of them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Billy the Mountain posted:

Everyone is out this week. I am the only one left. This is due to poor vacation planning on the part of HR and on the part of an employee quitting.

My Support desk just dumped 127 tickets into my queue this morning. They flipped me 127 tickets all with an expected 1 day response time. There is no way I'm getting through these, especially as new tickets come in and support keeps re-prioritizing my cases for me on the fly.

Just loving kill me.

Complain about it to a higher up. 127 tickets in a day is more than a ticket every 10 minutes, which is a great average (if you're resetting passwords, not for much else).

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Our department's forecast came in today, you know, how we've done, patch coverage, all that. Included was a graphic showing all the office locations around the world with # of employees, appliances, etc.

We weren't on it.

Well, it was a good 11 years, <company>, at least the redundancy payout will be nice...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

you ate my cat posted:

I do escalations/complex issues in an isp call center. Every time we train someone new to the team, I tell them I want 5 questions to be answered in their ticket notes in order for them to be "good notes".

What did the customer report?
What did you see?
What did you do?
What did that do?
What's next?

No one ever answers them. :(

We have a department who has a checklist like that to be answered for every ticket. They just copy/paste the questions into the ticket and send it back every single loving time. Even if the answers to the questions are already in the ticket. Even if the escalating department copy/pasted their own checklist with the answers added in.

They're allergic to reading tickets. Or updating them. Or opening them for anything other than reassigning them to me, for that matter.

• Locked thread