Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Well, she did take off from everything she knew to find herself. Clearly she found herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was scared for a second that the show was gonna go real GoT for teens when they revealed that Desna and Eska shared a room.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

VanSandman posted:

From what we saw of her I AM THE LAW days, getting back to nature basically simply gave Toph an excuse to act exactly as irresponsibly as she likes again.

You know, it's beyond me why Toph went into law enforcement. She never really struck me as the type to be all about creating/maintaining social order in ATLA (but then again, she was just a kid in that series) and I always imagined her doing something more akin to what Tenzin aspired to do: wander around the world, maybe teaching new benders.

Do we know how the metal bending school was started? Did Toph just show up in Republic City, pull up a giant building out of the earth, and then said "I'm a metal bender, DEAL WITH IT."

But really, I'm just glad to see Toph's still kicking around and is a grandmaster earth bender able of seeing for thousands of miles due to her connection to the earth.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BrianWilly posted:

I was scared for a second that the show was gonna go real GoT for teens when they revealed that Desna and Eska shared a room.

That bit confused me until I thought for a moment.

Of course a waterbender would sleep in a bathtub.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

nutranurse posted:

Do we know how the metal bending school was started? Did Toph just show up in Republic City, pull up a giant building out of the earth, and then said "I'm a metal bender, DEAL WITH IT."

If she didn't they should retcon it and make this canon.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Of course a waterbender would sleep in a bathtub.
What? No they wouldn't! That's hella weird! Desna's hella weird!

nutranurse posted:

You know, it's beyond me why Toph went into law enforcement. She never really struck me as the type to be all about creating/maintaining social order in ATLA (but then again, she was just a kid in that series) and I always imagined her doing something more akin to what Tenzin aspired to do: wander around the world, maybe teaching new benders.

It started just as a normal martial arts school located a bit outside Yu Dao (which was the original spot where Republic City began) with a bunch of underdog students. The police of Yu Dao were the ones who approached Toph about learning metalbending.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

BrianWilly posted:

It started just as a normal martial arts school located a bit outside Yu Dao (which was the original spot where Republic City began) with a bunch of underdog students. The police of Yu Dao were the ones who approached Toph about learning metalbending.

Ah, cool. That makes sense. Wait, I am half-remembering something from the comics where her students had some little metal bending competition with a nearby rival school or something? Whatever. All I care about is that Toph's here and that she rocks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That all happened. The stuff with the police is happening in the current comic series, where Toph is getting a lot more involved in city ongoings thanks to her baby daddy new love interest Satoru.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

So, with metal still in Korra's body, there's a possibility she will have to keep it in her and still overcome her trauma, making the eventual fight against Kuvira even more of an interesting fight.

Well, more "horrifying" than interesting, since we'd be getting into metalbloodbending territory like we saw Toph did...

My guess is that Korra will pull it out of herself before joining Tenzin's kids.

I really hope we aren't going to see a scenario where all the poison's out and Korra's back to normal. I know Toph indicated there was some mental blockage and I hope her just mentioning it isn't the end of that storyline. This book's been good so far but it's not like Bryke doesn't have a history of dropping storylines.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm sure removing the trace amounts of poison left will just be a physical way to signify that Korra has overcome her mental blockage. In other words, it's really not the poison, it's her fear.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I feel like it might happen in some climactic moment like the whole chakra block thing with Aang. It's entirely possible she just outright rejoins her friends while the metal is still stuck in her.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The mental block is too key to Korra's character so far to just drop it. I doubt she'll be able to pull it out without first accepting that she needs to be the Avatar - and accept all the danger and responsibility that comes with that - even more than the world needs an avatar to fix spirit-bomb powered conquerors.

Also somebody needs to bend a train at somebody else.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like it might happen in some climactic moment like the whole chakra block thing with Aang. It's entirely possible she just outright rejoins her friends while the metal is still stuck in her.

That's true. If's that's the case I'm really getting a Star Wars vibe: Luke Korra leaving to help her friends while there's still work to be done in the swamp.

VanSandman posted:

Also somebody needs to bend a train at somebody else.

Kuvira will likely be attacking Zaofu at some point. If anyone can bend trains at Kuvira it's Suyin. Or, you know, the rest of the city.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My money's on Korra rejoining with someone, whether it's Bolin or Mako or Tenzin or Lin I don't know but I'm betting she'll end up running into them somehow with the poison still insider her during a fight and being more of a liability than an asset.

Also, holy poo poo Toph, could you really not go easy on her while she had poison inside of her for three years?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sato posted:

Kuvira will likely be attacking Zaofu at some point. If anyone can bend trains at Kuvira it's Suyin. Or, you know, the rest of the city.

I was thinking more Kuvira gets pissed at last off and chucks a train at somebody, but your idea works fine too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Y'know, Bolin's really the last person who should throw any shade at Wu considering that he was Wu three years ago.

(I really like their current plot though)

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

RareAcumen posted:

Also, holy poo poo Toph, could you really not go easy on her while she had poison inside of her for three years?

That is not the way that the Original Bei Fong behaves.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I forget, does Raava have any healing abilities (passive or otherwise)?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

The fact that you guys keep asking this makes the answer never.

How about a better OP

E: Zaofu's getting nuked so hard. I'm actually starting to wonder if Varrick won't wind up possessed somehow due to messing around with spiritual forces beyond his control and wind up as the final antagonist.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 17, 2014

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Sato posted:

My guess is that Korra will pull it out of herself before joining Tenzin's kids.

I really hope we aren't going to see a scenario where all the poison's out and Korra's back to normal. I know Toph indicated there was some mental blockage and I hope her just mentioning it isn't the end of that storyline. This book's been good so far but it's not like Bryke doesn't have a history of dropping storylines.

Korra will pull it "all" out of herself and be back to "normal" and then she'll face off against Kuvira at some point and some metal-poo poo will go down wherein Korra is ripped up via the tracest of internal trace-remnants and we're all "drat!" but it'll finale out all A-OKK!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Zaofu's getting nuked so hard.

On the one hand, I could totally see this happening, but on the other hand... I would be very surprised if Bataar Jr would be okay with that.

(Although, maybe he wouldn't get a say in the matter. But if he really is the ideas man, I doubt his ideas would include nuking his hometown.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I could see Kuvira ordering it as her version of Crossing the Rubicon after she's issued a... More direct ultimatum by Suyin.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

We'll probably see something else nuked in order to threaten Suyin into submission. Omashu, maybe the Great Divide.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Toph, Greatest bender or Greatererest bender?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Based on the pre-season trailer, the vines may just be used to power the mechs. In that one shot of Varrick, it looks like they're using the vines as a power source for what are probably mech batteries:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

^I went and rewatched it, I think you're right.

Also from the trailer:
Asami fighting Wu on top of a train?

EDIT: No, it's clearly one of Kuvira's goons.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 17, 2014

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
Also from the trailer: Wu with Korra and Mako inside the train. Good lord, is Wu going to (temporarily) become a member of Team Avatar?

Sato fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 18, 2014

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
I'm really liking Kuvira as this season's villain. Zelda Williams does a great job being completely commanding and intimidating in public during the coronation yet reassuring and charismatic when talking one-on-one with Bolin.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so was this also the first episode where we heard Zhu Li speak?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

I forget, does Raava have any healing abilities (passive or otherwise)?

Speaking of, I hope ghost Korra is actually Raava. If a regular spirit could transform into a dog, I'm sure a human form's no problem for Raava.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

I'm really liking Kuvira as this season's villain. Zelda Williams does a great job being completely commanding and intimidating in public during the coronation yet reassuring and charismatic when talking one-on-one with Bolin.

They're doing a very nice job of establishing Kuvira as someone who could actually do what the script has her done. Most effective leaders can do that, it's pretty much a requirement for the job.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sato posted:

(not spoilering it because it's been out for weeks)

Not that what you posted is a big spoiler at all, but just fyi, trailers are considered spoilers by the TVIV rules until their episodes are out... often people choose not to watch trailers specifically because they don't want to be spoiled.

quote:

Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aces High posted:

so was this also the first episode where we heard Zhu Li speak?

Nah, she's spoken before (I'm pretty sure she did during the prison break episode) it's just been a while.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I seriously want to know what happened between Suyin and Bataar Jr. He was practically going "gently caress you mom, gently caress YOU!" in that little conversation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neo_Crimson posted:

I seriously want to know what happened between Suyin and Bataar Jr. He was practically going "gently caress you mom, gently caress YOU!" in that little conversation.

It sounds like his dad died.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Deakul posted:

I never knew how much I wanted an Avatar CK2 mod before now, holy gently caress.

Well, you're in luck!

:ssh: That was a Victoria 2 reference

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

thexerox123 posted:

On the one hand, I could totally see this happening, but on the other hand... I would be very surprised if Bataar Jr would be okay with that.

(Although, maybe he wouldn't get a say in the matter. But if he really is the ideas man, I doubt his ideas would include nuking his hometown.)
Its always wrong to nuke your hometown, unless its inhabited by an annoying shopkeeper with a weird Minnesotan accent.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

Not that what you posted is a big spoiler at all, but just fyi, trailers are considered spoilers by the TVIV rules until their episodes are out... often people choose not to watch trailers specifically because they don't want to be spoiled.

Oh, eek! Thanks for the refresher. I'll go back and edit my post.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

It's nice having a female main villain. Ming Hua and P'Li weren't exactly the big bad in tehir season.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Another neat callback in Tenzin sending his kid to find Korra. The scene is constructed in nearly the same way as the Firelord sending Azula to go hunt the Avatar. Facing the horizon with his back to whom he's addressing (who is not shown until the proper moment for effect), sending his kids on a quest for the Avatar, but with entirely opposite intentions and atmosphere.

I wonder if Varrick's spirit-vine experiment doesn't tie into what Toph told Korra, about seeing the whole world through the root and vines of her swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I'm loving the expressiveness this episode.

• Locked thread