Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sounds like a pretty beaten up Aeron. I hop between different chairs almost daily and the Aeron's all have the same issues with the seats that try to squeeze everything into the centre, and the front edge that digs into the back of your legs, but I've never noticed any play in the construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ratbert90 posted:

Trip report with the gesture:

First impressions with the chair are really positive! The chair is insanely overbuilt, and heavy. The casters are amazingly smooth, the chair is gorgeous, and the build quality is fantastic (I expect that out of a chair with a 12 year warranty.)

The back is... interesting to say the least. The entire back seems to pivot a good 15 - 20 degrees in all directions and hugs your back no matter what position you are in. This chair also has a insane amount of degrees it can recline if you so choose, more than any other chair I have ever owned.

The fabric is soft and not scratchy as well, and the foam is comfortable but doesn't sag. The arm rests are a bit tough to move, however once they are moving the movement is smooth and doesn't feel like it's not working in the way it was intended.

The entire chair has absolutely no creeks squeaks or any other noise when moving it around, and doesn't flex at all when shifting your body weight. It stays perfectly still and only the back moves with you. To say the least, I am very impressed with the chair so far.

Sitting in it for the last day has been great, I have sat in the leap v2 and now the gesture, and I would put the gesture at about a 20% improvement over the leap v2.

Hope that helps anybody who was looking at a gesture!

Thanks, it does help!

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Thanks Ants posted:

That sounds like a pretty beaten up Aeron. I hop between different chairs almost daily and the Aeron's all have the same issues with the seats that try to squeeze everything into the centre, and the front edge that digs into the back of your legs, but I've never noticed any play in the construction.

Cosmetically, the chair looks great, but now that I know where the product sticker is, I can see it was made in April 1997. This chair is old enough to join the Army.

I took out the B-links to inspect them and it looks like each bolt runs through a metal sleeve that fits through a hole on the back ends of each B-link. In each of these holes, there are couple of plastic sleeves which appear to act like bushings for the aforementioned sleeves. These have quite a bit of play if I fit the bolt into it, and I'm guessing I probably shouldn't be able to wiggle them as much as I can. It's the same story on the front of the B-links. It's hard to tell if the sleeves themselves are excessively worn. Their thickness is still really uniform all around. I would have expected the inside of them to go egg shaped or thinner on one side than the others after 17 years.

My question is: where can I order more of these sleeves? The internet doesn't seem to think spare parts for my chair exist other than the really obvious ones (seat back, arm rests, etc.). I have an authorized Herman Miller reseller in town. Am I stuck dealing with them?

And out of curiosity, what do you mean by issues with seats that squeeze everything into the center? Squeaks or notchiness in the recline travel?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I wouldn't ask if I weren't in a huge metro area: anyone know of any of these magic office furniture liquidators/refurb sellers in Chicagoland? I bet there's tons of stuff on Craigslist but I doubt most people would be ok with me just coming over and sitting on their chair for an hour. I hate chair shopping because they're such an investment and I fully understand how important they are, but they're also personal and fussy. I used a kneeling chair for like ten years, then a good generic office chair from some failed dotcom email company, but it's pretty beat up now. I've been using a dining room chair for the past year or so, actually, but I've also rarely been at my desk for more than a few hours at a time and that's about to change.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Straker posted:

I wouldn't ask if I weren't in a huge metro area: anyone know of any of these magic office furniture liquidators/refurb sellers in Chicagoland? I bet there's tons of stuff on Craigslist but I doubt most people would be ok with me just coming over and sitting on their chair for an hour. I hate chair shopping because they're such an investment and I fully understand how important they are, but they're also personal and fussy. I used a kneeling chair for like ten years, then a good generic office chair from some failed dotcom email company, but it's pretty beat up now. I've been using a dining room chair for the past year or so, actually, but I've also rarely been at my desk for more than a few hours at a time and that's about to change.

I bought a Mirra from these guys and it's holding up great so far: http://www.chairtechs.com/

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
So I've got a 500$ voucher from my company as I'm starting a work-from-home arrangement. 6 foot tall, 300 lbs. (fatgoon) Where should I start with chairs? Oh, and I get a 15% discount at Bigbox Office Supply store (name one, we have a discount at most of them).

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I picked up a chair from http://www.nightingalechairs.com/ since they're right down the road from me.

http://www.nightingalechairs.com/247hd_home.html

The chair has been good to me so far, I am a big fat guy and the chair shows no wear as of yet. Not a ton of adjustments but its also the only thing they had that was rated for my weight.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I bought a Mirra chair off ebay and the seat just frayed out on me after 3 months, which is incredibly annoying as i was expecting it to last a long time, over the 3 months i had it it was a reasonable chair but the mesh seemed a weak spot as under my body weight i kept pressing my legs into the bar at the bottom of the chair if i didn't sit right on it, I'm quite bulky at 210 pounds or so but it didn't seem to handle that weight that well at all, so be a little bit careful if you are going for one of those i would say.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Holy gently caress I'm spending $1000 on a chair because of this loving thread what the hell is wrong with you people?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have taste :smug:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
A nice chair changed my life. Year 5 and still going strong.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah I bought an aeron 4 years ago for $200 at an office sale and never looked back since.

smushroomed
May 24, 2009
I'm thinking about buying one a HM aeron size b off craigslist, they go for less than 400

Is there a huge risk of buying a fake? How can I make sure I'm getting a decent one?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

smushroomed posted:

I'm thinking about buying one a HM aeron size b off craigslist, they go for less than 400

Is there a huge risk of buying a fake? How can I make sure I'm getting a decent one?

None that I know of. The price is low because of the sheer amount of them out there because of how many businesses buy the chairs then go under (see: the dotcom bubble) and get picked up by surplus shops.

As far as getting a decent one, you need to check the pellicle (mesh) on both the back and seat. Are they in good condition? Are there any tears? The frames of the seat and back, are there any cracks? The armrests, depending on the build, they come in vinyl (most common), leather and upholstered. Is the vinyl cracked? Do all the adjustment knobs work? The lumbar pad though you can take or leave because that's usually the first thing that breaks on the chair. The pneumatic cylinder, does it go down when you sit on it? Try to get one that works because replacing it can be a pain.

Also make sure that size B is for your weight and height: https://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/product_literature/other/AP_SizeFitRef.pdf

smushroomed
May 24, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

None that I know of. The price is low because of the sheer amount of them out there because of how many businesses buy the chairs then go under (see: the dotcom bubble) and get picked up by surplus shops.

As far as getting a decent one, you need to check the pellicle (mesh) on both the back and seat. Are they in good condition? Are there any tears? The frames of the seat and back, are there any cracks? The armrests, depending on the build, they come in vinyl (most common), leather and upholstered. Is the vinyl cracked? Do all the adjustment knobs work? The lumbar pad though you can take or leave because that's usually the first thing that breaks on the chair. The pneumatic cylinder, does it go down when you sit on it? Try to get one that works because replacing it can be a pain.

Also make sure that size B is for your weight and height: https://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/product_literature/other/AP_SizeFitRef.pdf

Ty for this, I can buy one in confidence now.

Do they have a manufacture date on hem anywhere?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

smushroomed posted:

Ty for this, I can buy one in confidence now.

Do they have a manufacture date on hem anywhere?

They do actually. It'll be under the front lip of the seat unless the seat frame has been replaced. But the date isn't too much of a big deal. Herman Miller's warranty only extends to the original purchaser of the chair. But it can help with getting replacement parts in the future as the chair went through a few revisions through the years.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

smushroomed posted:

Is there a huge risk of buying a fake?

Nope. There's plenty of similar copycat chairs but I've never seen one that exactly replicated a particular popular chair like the Aeron or Leap. Their looks are very distinctive.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I sat my rear end down on a Steelcase Gesture today and 3 hours later I placed an order.
It's a really good and super comfy chair.

Now to wait for 6-8 weeks for delivery. Ugh.
Happy Christmas to me, I guess.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

mcbexx posted:

I sat my rear end down on a Steelcase Gesture today and 3 hours later I placed an order.
It's a really good and super comfy chair.

Now to wait for 6-8 weeks for delivery. Ugh.
Happy Christmas to me, I guess.

YMMV: If you call them they might speed up delivery. Worked for me

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There's a good chance you'll end up replacing the lumbar pad with the PostureFit support anyway, because the lumbar pad sucks rear end unless you're reasonably tall.

And yeah, there's plenty of chairs on the market because of 2008.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 4, 2014

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Misogynist posted:

There's a good chance you'll end up replacing the lumbar pad with the PostureFit support anyway, because the lumbar pad sucks rear end unless you're reasonably tall.

And yeah, there's plenty of chairs on the market because of 2008.

I knew I had a half-thought leftover about the lumbar pad. I didn't think of it because the kit is pricey and figured he didn't want to spend more than what he going to on the chair.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Anyone have opinions on the Sayl? We're apparently getting them at work in a few weeks.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
Any recommendations for chair outlet's in San Francisco? I see some hits on CL but surprisingly not that many.

smushroomed
May 24, 2009
I found a office liquidator store less than an hr away so I'm going to test drive some leaps and mirras

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

titaniumone posted:

Anyone have opinions on the Sayl? We're apparently getting them at work in a few weeks.

They look like a boardroom chair rather than a task chair. Far too little adjustability.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

baquerd posted:

I bought a Mirra from these guys and it's holding up great so far: http://www.chairtechs.com/
thanks, they seem nice, i'll have to go spend a day sitting in some of their chairs :)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Anyone know of any great chair places in San Diego?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Knifegrab posted:

Anyone know of any great chair places in San Diego?

The deep fried recliners at The Seatery are to die for. I'd also recommend ordering a couple of baked ottomans as starters. And OH! the stool stuffing there is the best I've ever had.

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Just picked up a Humanscale Freedom chair, with the headrest (but without the advanced arms - turns out the stock arms work perfectly for me).

Wow. I'm moving up from a Steelcase Amia (which is a fine chair), but .. yeah. So nice to have a proper high-backed chair again.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So lets be real now, so many of these chairs are so ridiculously expensive. Am I really going to feel a huge difference if I spent $1000+ dollars over a hundred bucks?

I did get a chance to sit in a bunch of chairs and I have to say the Maxnomics chairs were the most comfortable of the expensive chairs and the least expensive.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 2, 2014

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Knifegrab posted:

So lets be real now, so many of these chairs are so ridiculously expensive. Am I really going to feel a huge difference if I spent $1000+ dollars over a hundred bucks?

I did get a chance to sit in a bunch of chairs and I have to say the Maxnomics chairs were the most comfortable of the expensive chairs and the least expensive.

I would say that there's a bare minimum you want to spend for quality construction (maybe $400-500 new), after which most of your cost comes in the form of features and materials. Depending on your needs, the cheaper chair may be entirely sufficient.

That said, if you're not used to sitting in a good chair there is a degree of learning curve as you adjust, and it can take some time to learn what the ideal configuration is. It would really suck to put down a chunk of money only to later realize that you want to tweak the lumbar support or something a bit but your chair doesn't include that adjustment.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

you could sleep on a concrete slab but most people spend a decent amount of money on mattresses because you spend a lot of time sleeping on it

if you spend a lot of time sitting, you might want to spend wisely, for the same reason

makes you think

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I just don't get it, this thread outright said the maxnomic was a terrible chair but it was by far and beyond the most comfortable chair I sat in and on the average cheaper than the ones people fawn over.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

I just don't get it, this thread outright said the maxnomic was a terrible chair but it was by far and beyond the most comfortable chair I sat in and on the average cheaper than the ones people fawn over.

The most immediately comfortable chairs aren't always the most ergonomic or supportive ones and vice versa. My Steelcase Leap isn't as comfortable as a super plush padded office chair for the first hour I'm sitting in it, but it's a lot more comfortable during the 7th hour because my back isn't screaming at me.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tacier posted:

The most immediately comfortable chairs aren't always the most ergonomic or supportive ones and vice versa. My Steelcase Leap isn't as comfortable as a super plush padded office chair for the first hour I'm sitting in it, but it's a lot more comfortable during the 7th hour because my back isn't screaming at me.

Yeah I suppose thats true. This is why buying a new chair is seriously putting me off. I don't want to spend mad money only to realize that my long gaming sessions are going to ruin the comfort of this chair.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah I suppose thats true. This is why buying a new chair is seriously putting me off. I don't want to spend mad money only to realize that my long gaming sessions are going to ruin the comfort of this chair.

If you don't have pre-existing back problems and are using the chair in a situation where you're not typically sitting for more than a couple hours at a time and can take breaks whenever you feel like it (i.e. not an office job), then a $700 ergonomic chair might not be a justifiable expense for you right now. There are plenty of people who are happy as clams with their cheap office-max chairs, but if we're taking long-term back health into consideration the ergonomic will always be the best option.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Plus, that extra 500-800$ will buy you a longer product life as well.
Chairs in the 1000$ range will most likely last you 6-10 years without getting all wobbly and creaky. If you break it down over the chair's lifespan, it literally comes down to some extra pennies a day for a comfy, long lasting chair. Your back will thank you down the road.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't expect to ever come close to wearing out my Mirra 2. It's 12 year warranty based on 3 shifts.

I sit for a couple hours a day in it max. So, it's basically warrantied against 105,120 hours of use. It would literally take me 144 years to put that much wear and tear on it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Very disappointed with the Steelcase Gesture. Lots of poor quality finish problems and it's just not comfortable.

The arms are not symmetrical. One arm swings in much more than the other, which isn't really a big deal by itself but when you rotate the handrests to the same position they are often at wildly different angles despite being in the same position. It looks and feels odd when you try to use them, especially if you try to swing them both in close and one is in the perfect spot that you love while the other is digging in to your hip and you have to fiddle again to fix the weird one and get them both right.

I'm not sure if it's my chair specifically or just how "ergonomics" is supposed to work these days but it tilts wayyyy too far forward for my tastes, and there is no way to fix this. I measured it with a level and it's tilting forward at 6 degrees and no amount of depth adjustment or leaning back seems to make it feel better. Not sure if this is a defect or just how the chair is designed but I always feel like I'm sliding out of it.

It also squeaks a lot. Whenever I roll it or tilt back it makes a horrible squeaking noise that is still here after three weeks and me attempting to oil it in various places.

And the wheels don't roll smoothly. I thought it was my floor in this old house at first but after testing it in a few different places there seem to be soft spots on the caster that stick. Not dramatically, but just enough to slow how it moves around on hard surfaces in an aggravating manner.

Pretty disappointed, guess I was expecting perfection when I spent $1000 on a chair and while this one was definitely better a $200 staples chair it still seemed pretty cheap.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Chairs are ultimately something that have to fit the individual that sits in them, and it sounds like the Gesture just isn't the right chair for you. That said, it sounds like your particular chair is defective. Steelcase has an excellent warranty on its high-end seating, so you should be able to seek recourse there, assuming you bought yours new.