Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
What is being argued about? I'm only seeing about 1/3 of the posts on this page. My tendency is agree with Snowden because he's not one of the posters I have on ignore and I think he ran a nuclear sub in the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

n8r posted:

What is being argued about? I'm only seeing about 1/3 of the posts on this page. My tendency is agree with Snowden because he's not one of the posters I have on ignore and I think he ran a nuclear sub in the military.

Something about whether or not mapping an ecu differently for each cylinder is a thing that works or not.

Slavvy posted:

This is the pot calling the kettle a black gay hitler jew.

:master:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 13, 2014

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

BlackMK4 posted:

hint: 30whp+ on the ZX10. The stock ECU closes the secondary throttle plates at 11k-ish and cuts timing up top.

Dang, that's way more than I thought possible.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

The stock ECU closes the secondary throttle plates
That's new to me, what's a secondary throttle plate?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
You have two butterflies in every throttle, supposedly there to mimic the feel of the diaphragm and slide on a CV carb. They give improved throttle response and less bogging when the throttle is snapped open at low revs. At higher revs (4600rpm IIRC) they're held open and make no difference at all. The restriction is so tiny as to be insignificant, the shaft that the plate is mounted on is a bigger restriction than the plate itself, and yet lots of people all over the internet are removing theirs to "improve throttle response".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nidhg00670000 posted:

At higher revs (4600rpm IIRC) they're held open and make no difference at all. The restriction is so tiny as to be insignificant, the shaft that the plate is mounted on is a bigger restriction than the plate itself, and yet lots of people all over the internet are removing theirs to "improve throttle response".

A lot of the newer bikes start closing them at higher rpm, all the flashes disable this.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You have two butterflies in every throttle, supposedly there to mimic the feel of the diaphragm and slide on a CV carb. They give improved throttle response and less bogging when the throttle is snapped open at low revs. At higher revs (4600rpm IIRC) they're held open and make no difference at all. The restriction is so tiny as to be insignificant, the shaft that the plate is mounted on is a bigger restriction than the plate itself, and yet lots of people all over the internet are removing theirs to "improve throttle response".

You remove them because sometimes the ECU will open the throttle more slowly for you, by using the secondary plates as a restrictor. You hammer the throttle open, but the bike decides you only get full throttle a second later than it could. Also, oftentimes they have a hand in helping pass emissions at low RPM by adjusting airflow, leading to surging and other annoying, inconsistent behavior.

Fly by wire when done right is amazing (1190 and 1290 have the best fueling, stock, of any bike I've ever ridden), but there's a lot of places you can dick it up and there was an awkward transitional phase with stuff like extra butterflies.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EFI SV650's have those. I shudder to imagine what low-rev response would be like without them on that bike.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
My Buell has different front/rear maps stock, and that's with one throttle body for both cylinders.

Edit: Though if Buell does it and others don't, perhaps that means it's actually a bad idea?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

n8r posted:

I don't think a nuclear fueled turbine has all that much in common with a gas burning engine though

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

notZaar posted:

I don't think a nuclear fueled turbine has all that much in common with a gas burning engine though

The turbine isn't "fueled" by anything. The nuclear reactor heats water into steam, which is what turns the turbine.
:goonsay:

Sorry.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

sofullofhate posted:

The turbine isn't "fueled" by anything. The nuclear reactor heats water into steam, which is what turns the turbine.

Sorry.

If you had a turbine that was turning too fast would you suggest slowing the turbine or under damping the turbine? I'm curious which is the correct terminology. Please make your response in multiple paragraph form with incomprehensible graphs that have no defined scaling.
TIA

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Someone should damp n8rs oscillating on this subject, lest he blow his valving.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 14, 2014

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Since we're on the subject, "dampen" means make something wet/damp. Damping is used with mechanical and electronic systems. :eng101:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Deeters posted:

Since we're on the subject, "dampen" means make something wet/damp. Damping is used with mechanical and electronic systems. :eng101:

English is the worst.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
After reading this I noticed this is the thread where we post pictures of motorcycles rather than the chatting or stupid motorcycle poo poo thread.

So. Here's a pic. Hint, I'm the blurry guy in the back.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

sofullofhate posted:

Sorry.

Could be a gas turbine you turbonerd

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

notZaar posted:

Could be a gas turbine you turbonerd

Superheated steam is a gas, so you're both right :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

My Buell has different front/rear maps stock, and that's with one throttle body for both cylinders.

Edit: Though if Buell does it and others don't, perhaps that means it's actually a bad idea?

In this case there really is a huge difference in front and rear cylinder temps and coolant (air) flow. What kills me is you'd think the rear should be trimmed richer, but that's the one that has to run at stoich because they put the lambda sensor back there.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

n8r posted:

If you had a turbine that was turning too fast would you suggest slowing the turbine or under damping the turbine? I'm curious which is the correct terminology. Please make your response in multiple paragraph form with incomprehensible graphs that have no defined scaling.
TIA

If I had a turbine that was going too fast I'd slow it. If my control that slowed the turbine overshot then oscillated around the setpoint for a bit before setting to the new speed, I'd add damping, since it's underdamped. If my condenser line popped and shot water everywhere, I'd get a towel, because now it's overdampened.

These three terms can all be used in forks, as they control fundamentally different things.

Springs control speed. Valving and oil weight control damping. Fork seals control dampening.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
I bought a thing. :cool:

#178 of 300.

Holy poo poo it's powerful. :monocle:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Goddamn you to HELL!

I wonder when I'll be able to afford a zx14 (hint: never)?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

deliverator posted:

#178 of 300.

oh yes

Also goddamn, that exhaust cannon

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Lots of us joining team green this last month! I LOVE that anniversary livery!

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

deliverator posted:

Very nice.

Of course, even with that generous wheelbase, I just know someone's going to buy #179, kick the back wheel out another 24 inches, and force me to claw my eyes out.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

deliverator posted:

#178 of 300.

Eh, the red isn't that great a color for it. :shrug:

I'm jealous, that looks incredible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

deliverator posted:

#178 of 300.

Good username/post combo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Good username/post combo.

If Hiro Protagonist had a motorbike it would undoubtedly be a ZX14 or busa.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Oh, nice bike. Can we get a report once you've had some time on it? I'm looking at getting one in the next few months.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's a loving rad colorway.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I knew I'd seen that color combination before and it's been bugging me all morning, but now I remember:

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro

Slavvy posted:

Goddamn you to HELL!

I wonder when I'll be able to afford a zx14 (hint: never)?

Yeah I don't know if I can afford it either. The cost of comprehensive insurance on this sumbitch would blow your mind.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro

quote:

Oh, nice bike. Can we get a report once you've had some time on it? I'm looking at getting one in the next few months.

TRIP REPORT.

Okay. After a day of ownership I can offer some thoughts.

My motorcycling history may provide some context. My bikes have been steadily going up in displacement over the years, like your mom. I started on a Ninja 250; then an ER6N (naked Ninja 650); then a VFR800; then a ZX-10R; then a Triumph Tiger 1050; and finally a Speed Triple 1050. I had hoped the Triple would be the perfect combo of comfort and power, but alas, it was not to be. By the time I got chumped on the trade-in value, I was ready to give the loving thing away. British motorcycle ownership should include a mandatory seminar in costly maintenance, parts unavailability, electrical gremlin diagnostics, and coping behavior.

ANYWAY, I’ve owned a variety of bikes, and I ride every day that I’m not waiting for clutch parts to arrive via parcel owl or steam locomotive or however the gently caress Triumph ships things from their foggy little mud puddle of an island, and I wanted something powerful, comfortable, reliable, and badass. So here we are.

The ZX14R is surprisingly easy to ride (like your m-- crap, I already made that joke). It’s very imposing, with that glowering headlight cluster looking like a cross between a tarantula and Clint Eastwood, and you should absolutely respect what it’s capable of, but it will only go into hyperdrive when you intend to. Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, it’s tolerant of somewhat sloppy riding technique. The throttle is great and I look forward to using more than half of it, preferably on an empty runway. The shifting is solid and definitive without being clunky (something my other Kawi bikes could not claim). This is my first hydraulic clutch and now I see why they’re usually only on high-end bikes: it’s loving luxurious. The mirrors are very slightly convex and you can see plenty beyond your own elbows. The seat is wide with just the right taper and incline. I’ll still probably put my old-man bead-curtain seat thing on it.

The dash gives way too much information to take in at a glance. It also scowls at you when you fire it up. At least the TC and Power Modes are pretty intuitive. I had greatly missed having a gear indicator on my Triumphs, but I’d also gotten used to their digital speedometers. Oh well. Now I have an analog speedo that goes to 180 and beyond.

The engine is often likened to some kind of jet turbine, and it’s a fair comparison. The acceleration really just has to be experienced to be understood. If you’ve ridden a modern literbike you’ll be familiar with having more power than you could ever use in public – now add another 40% or so. The entire rev range is powerband. There’s acceleration available everywhere. It’s pretty awesome.

Handling-wise, it sounds like a porky bike on paper but it feels light and eager to respond. I was concerned the wheelbase would be difficult to adapt to; I have a tendency to apex really late in turns because as a city commuter, I like to see what kind of urban bullshit I’m getting into before I commit to my turns. I needn’t have worried. If anything the 14R seems better able to manage whatever mid-corner crap Seattle DOT has devised. (For a city famed for its constant rainfall you’d think they wouldn’t fill the streets with slippery gratings and manholes and obsolete train tracks, but what do I know?)

Usually as soon as I get a bike I start accessorizing and swapping out parts, but this one is probably going to be left fairly stock. Obviously I don’t need to coax a few more horsies out of the engine, and the ergonomics are just about perfect for me (5-11, 30ish inseam). It’s nice not to have to change anything on a brand-new bike for once.

In short, if you’re thinking about one, go get one and you won’t be sorry.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

notZaar posted:

I knew I'd seen that color combination before and it's been bugging me all morning, but now I remember:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I love the smell of the steam off of a fresh brew

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

deliverator posted:

TRIP REPORT.

Okay. After a day of ownership I can offer some thoughts.

My motorcycling history may provide some context. My bikes have been steadily going up in displacement over the years, like your mom. I started on a Ninja 250; then an ER6N (naked Ninja 650); then a VFR800; then a ZX-10R; then a Triumph Tiger 1050; and finally a Speed Triple 1050. I had hoped the Triple would be the perfect combo of comfort and power, but alas, it was not to be. By the time I got chumped on the trade-in value, I was ready to give the loving thing away. British motorcycle ownership should include a mandatory seminar in costly maintenance, parts unavailability, electrical gremlin diagnostics, and coping behavior.

ANYWAY, I’ve owned a variety of bikes, and I ride every day that I’m not waiting for clutch parts to arrive via parcel owl or steam locomotive or however the gently caress Triumph ships things from their foggy little mud puddle of an island, and I wanted something powerful, comfortable, reliable, and badass. So here we are.

The ZX14R is surprisingly easy to ride (like your m-- crap, I already made that joke). It’s very imposing, with that glowering headlight cluster looking like a cross between a tarantula and Clint Eastwood, and you should absolutely respect what it’s capable of, but it will only go into hyperdrive when you intend to. Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, it’s tolerant of somewhat sloppy riding technique. The throttle is great and I look forward to using more than half of it, preferably on an empty runway. The shifting is solid and definitive without being clunky (something my other Kawi bikes could not claim). This is my first hydraulic clutch and now I see why they’re usually only on high-end bikes: it’s loving luxurious. The mirrors are very slightly convex and you can see plenty beyond your own elbows. The seat is wide with just the right taper and incline. I’ll still probably put my old-man bead-curtain seat thing on it.

The dash gives way too much information to take in at a glance. It also scowls at you when you fire it up. At least the TC and Power Modes are pretty intuitive. I had greatly missed having a gear indicator on my Triumphs, but I’d also gotten used to their digital speedometers. Oh well. Now I have an analog speedo that goes to 180 and beyond.

The engine is often likened to some kind of jet turbine, and it’s a fair comparison. The acceleration really just has to be experienced to be understood. If you’ve ridden a modern literbike you’ll be familiar with having more power than you could ever use in public – now add another 40% or so. The entire rev range is powerband. There’s acceleration available everywhere. It’s pretty awesome.

Handling-wise, it sounds like a porky bike on paper but it feels light and eager to respond. I was concerned the wheelbase would be difficult to adapt to; I have a tendency to apex really late in turns because as a city commuter, I like to see what kind of urban bullshit I’m getting into before I commit to my turns. I needn’t have worried. If anything the 14R seems better able to manage whatever mid-corner crap Seattle DOT has devised. (For a city famed for its constant rainfall you’d think they wouldn’t fill the streets with slippery gratings and manholes and obsolete train tracks, but what do I know?)

Usually as soon as I get a bike I start accessorizing and swapping out parts, but this one is probably going to be left fairly stock. Obviously I don’t need to coax a few more horsies out of the engine, and the ergonomics are just about perfect for me (5-11, 30ish inseam). It’s nice not to have to change anything on a brand-new bike for once.

In short, if you’re thinking about one, go get one and you won’t be sorry.

Awesome. Thanks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nitramster posted:

Lots of us joining team green this last month!

Hell yeah son!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hell yeah son!

Noone wants to see your ugly BIKE Jim. GOD. Something something edgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Noone wants to see your ugly BIKE Jim. GOD. Something something edgy.

I cannot escape the versys hatred :negative: