Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I do have some good news regarding that: he told me he's using forecast.io for as long as it's affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Dave posted:

I do have some good news regarding that: he told me he's using forecast.io for as long as it's affordable.

Just give me the loving link to buy it already.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Isn't forecast.io the one everyone complains about being wildly inaccurate for anything beyond the next hour or two?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

slomomofo posted:

Isn't forecast.io the one everyone complains about being wildly inaccurate for anything beyond the next hour or two?
I know that personally speaking, if I can get the next few hours of accurate hyperlocal weather in a widget, I'll be so happy.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

noirstronaut posted:

The next update from this thread better be about an SA smilie keyboard being released or I'm going to gently caress poo poo up.

ftfy

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I know that personally speaking, if I can get the next few hours of accurate hyperlocal weather in a widget, I'll be so happy.

That's literally the weather underground app.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

+ a big rear end graph.

"★☆☆☆☆

WTF even is this app who made this why is it useless"

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
What is with y'all and your weather apps? I can't remember the last time I checked the weather forecast.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

And it looks like it takes up pretty much the whole screen, at which point I might as well just be using the app. A really thin notification widget like TheDave's mockup is what everyone in this thread is begging for it seems!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Does anyone have any experience with iPad portfolio apps? I'd like to put something together to display my design portfolio nicely. There are a lot of options out there.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bummey posted:

What is with y'all and your weather apps? I can't remember the last time I checked the weather forecast.

When i lived in Northern California every day started cloudy, then could ether go hot as hell or rain really hard by 2pm.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Bummey posted:

Hey man, at least they're agonizing over the meat of an app instead of just their weather app icons. It's a step up for ios threads everywhere.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Bummey posted:

Some people like to go outside occasionally, I guess.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Bummey posted:

I walk everywhere and use public transportation.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I really like Sunrise as far as calendars go.

same

the kawaiiest posted:

same

Honestly Bummey as a fellow Minnesotan I'm not sure how you're not obsessed with the weather like everyone else is :haw:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
His point is you guys take it to a special level.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Zigmidge posted:

Why is wanting accurate weather information when you go outside a lot "special"?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zigmidge posted:

Really? Because he says right there in his post he never checks the weather... that sounds like his point too...

And people live and work in places different than everyone else. Up here in Seattle, I guess you COULD assume that it's just raining, but me the wife and the kid like to plan out if we are walking around Green Lake on a day, and it's good to know if it's slated to rain or not. I can't believe I'm explaining why people care about weather apps.

Then of course, there's the source of the data. Some suck. And the Widgets... most of them miss the mark.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I just really love weather.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Honestly Bummey as a fellow Minnesotan I'm not sure how you're not obsessed with the weather like everyone else is :haw:

Weather forecast for the foreseeable future: it's gonna suck.

:v: don't need no app to tell me that!

For real, though, I don't know why but I've never really cared about the weather. I don't do anything that requires a forecast always on hand.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 17, 2014

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
As a British person, the weather is the only thing that I am allowed to talk about with strangers so I like to stay informed. Do you have any idea just how much of a faux pas it is for someone to say "I hear it's going to rain this weekend" and for me not to reply with "Tsk, yeah"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also a Minnesotan who takes public transportation 4 days a week, with long walks between campuses on two of them, and I have a job where I'm outside a good portion of the day on the other days, so I also like having accurate, fast weather.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Put it in widget-form and I think you have a winner here

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
My photo library is huge and it's becoming a problem. What's the best way to store my photos in the cloud so I can easily and quickly view them if I want to show someone something quickly, but also not have them stay on my phone taking up space?

I know they're automatically backed up on iCloud, but that seems to be annoyingly limited. I can't view them or even download individual photos, it's more of a way to restore an entire phone after it has been wiped, right?

I read something about iCloud adding a drive option, but there doesn't seem to be an official app for it. Seriously?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Bass Bottles posted:

My photo library is huge and it's becoming a problem. What's the best way to store my photos in the cloud so I can easily and quickly view them if I want to show someone something quickly, but also not have them stay on my phone taking up space?

I know they're automatically backed up on iCloud, but that seems to be annoyingly limited. I can't view them or even download individual photos, it's more of a way to restore an entire phone after it has been wiped, right?

I read something about iCloud adding a drive option, but there doesn't seem to be an official app for it. Seriously?

iCloud Photo Library, new in iOS 8, currently in public beta. Check it out. Enable it in your iCloud settings.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

chaosbreather posted:

iCloud Photo Library, new in iOS 8, currently in public beta. Check it out. Enable it in your iCloud settings.

Edit: Nevermind, answered my own questions.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Funny timing.

Thanks. :)

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 17, 2014

Bummey
May 26, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

My new 6 Plus won't be here for a few months yet, but does this new cloud poo poo store a duplicate copy of each photo locally like it did previously? I always hated that it was one or the other, have them upload to the cloud and take up double the space on my phone, or no cloud uploads at all.

or maybe there was an I'm a dummy.

e: Derp. Yep, I'm a dummy.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 18, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*frantically dons and doffs articles of clothing in order to keep up with up-to-the-minute crowdsourced microclimate reports*

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Bummey posted:

My new 6 Plus won't be here for a few months yet, but does this new cloud poo poo store a duplicate copy of each photo locally like it did previously? I always hated that it was one or the other, have them upload to the cloud and take up double the space on my phone, or no cloud uploads at all.

or maybe there was an I'm a dummy.

https://www.apple.com/icloud/photos/ posted:

Fill your library, not your device.
Now you can spend more time shooting pictures and less time managing them. iCloud Photo Library helps you make the most of the space available on your iOS device by automatically storing the original high-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and leaving behind the lightweight version that are perfectly sized for each device. You get 5GB of iCloud storage free, and other storage plans start at $0.99 per month.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

fordan posted:

leaving behind the lightweight version that are perfectly sized for each device.

Still doesn't sound ideal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Since this kind of instant weather information wasn't available to you four or five years ago, yet you carried on fine, it's probably totally unnecessary and you really shouldn't worry about it that much.

the kawaiiest posted:

Me too but

And really, the answer for the next six months is going to be either "Yes, the thin one." Or, "No, the loving thick rear end one so that you don't succumb to exposure at the bus stop."

Occasionally I might get, "Don't leave the house because the air will cause you to die."

All of this is only slightly more convenient than sticking my arm out the front door.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Everyone has a different life in a different place you loving poo poo birds. I, for one, don't loving care what the weather is 10 miles away in Downtown Seattle when I'm technically in Seattle but just barely.

Also years ago I lived in SF where weather knowledge wasn't as important as it is now in the Pacific Northwest. I also have a kid and plan activities.

How about you live and let live you weather app fascists?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I live in New Orleans so the weather changes every goddamn day here. One day it's 95 and sunny, the next it's 85 and raining, the next it's 65 and windy, then it'll be 95 and sunny again.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

tuyop posted:

And really, the answer for the next six months is going to be either "Yes, the thin one." Or, "No, the loving thick rear end one so that you don't succumb to exposure at the bus stop."
Where I live, at this time of year it's not uncommon to be in the mid 80s during the day and then drop to ~50 in the evening. 40s in the early morning, then maybe back up to 80 again but who knows. It's constantly changing. The default weather app -- and pretty much anything that isn't Weather Underground -- is always off by 5 degrees or so for my location, constantly says it's going to rain and then it doesn't (or the other way around) and so on. Considering the fact that I'm a small person with a small purse I'd like to know in advance if I'm going to have to carry a jacket/umbrella or not.

It's really not that hard to understand. Seriously. Just because a thing doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it's stupid/spergy/whatever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I live in New Orleans so the weather changes every goddamn day here. One day it's 95 and sunny, the next it's 85 and raining, the next it's 65 and windy, then it'll be 95 and sunny again.

Same but instead of New Orleans it's Ohio and instead of every goddamn day it's every goddamn hour. Last winter loving sucked so I'm counting on a good weather app to tell me in the morning if I should bother leaving my bed.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Feenix posted:

Everyone has a different life in a different place you loving poo poo birds. I, for one, don't loving care what the weather is 10 miles away in Downtown Seattle when I'm technically in Seattle but just barely.

Also years ago I lived in SF where weather knowledge wasn't as important as it is now in the Pacific Northwest. I also have a kid and plan activities.

How about you live and let live you weather app fascists?

Why did you move into enemy territory?

Seriously, I agree accurate forecasts are a nice thing for any part of the country though. I'm living in SF now and they are invaluable for one or two day ahead lunch planning.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also the "you got along fine without this 5 years ago, calm down!" Is probably the most ridiculous thing ever to say in an iPhone thread, no? :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Also the "you got along fine without this 5 years ago, calm down!" Is probably the most ridiculous thing ever to say in an iPhone thread, no? :)

Well, maybe? I mean I'm pretty dependent on the thing for productivity, but that stuff isn't novel and it's really just a huge improvement on a bunch of paper products that have existed for decades. I know how to manage without my phone and so marginal improvements really don't mean much to me, if that makes sense.

Stuff like getting the weather a tap faster (since you swipe both to unlock and get the notification centre) seems like a really strange thing to be this interested in, since everyone here probably remembers a time when it wasn't available at all and they still managed.

I don't really care about the weather thing, joking aside, but we fixate on tiny features this way all the time and that's really interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

tuyop posted:

Well, maybe? I mean I'm pretty dependent on the thing for productivity, but that stuff isn't novel and it's really just a huge improvement on a bunch of paper products that have existed for decades. I know how to manage without my phone and so marginal improvements really don't mean much to me, if that makes sense.

Stuff like getting the weather a tap faster (since you swipe both to unlock and get the notification centre) seems like a really strange thing to be this interested in, since everyone here probably remembers a time when it wasn't available at all and they still managed.

I don't really care about the weather thing, joking aside, but we fixate on tiny features this way all the time and that's really interesting to me.

Enjoy your wooden bike gramps, we got poo poo to do.