Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fish Of Doom posted:

Target is having a sale on all their Ninja Turtle stuff, and I saw that Playmates had made a set of figures based on the original comic designs. The paint jobs are terrible on them, but the sculpts are really awesome. I picked up Leonardo and repainted him just to see what it looks like with a better paint job. I really like the rough "sketch" shading lines that they've sculpted all over the figures, makes it look more like the drawings than the Neca ones. For $8 and a couple hours of painting, I can't complain.

If I buy a set and mail them to you, would you paint them for me?

I would of course pay you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Rhyno posted:

If I buy a set and mail them to you, would you paint them for me?

I would of course pay you for this.

Sure. If you're serious, shoot me a PM and we'll talk about pricing.

Vintersorg posted:

That looks pretty good but goddamn, gently caress Playmates for sending out unpainted plastic poo poo.

This seems to be the new normal for mass produced action figures. Gone are the days of the Toybiz Marvel legends with washes and shading. I was super excited about Funko's Magic the Gathering figures, but they ended up skimping on the paint and they don't look so hot. That might be my next project, since the sculpts are still decent.

Look at Ajani. The prototype look pretty sweet, but the actual production figure looks pretty bad. They couldn't even be bothered to paint his lips, so now he looks like a sock puppet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fish Of Doom posted:

I have no PMs, got an email I can reach you at?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Rhyno posted:

I have no PMs, got an email I can reach you at?

Making me cry
evolvedbutter@aol.com

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That Marvel Legends Target exclusive 3-pack with Ms Marvel, Captain America, and Radioactive Man is apparently out, or at least a whole bunch of people are scalping it for stupid money on eBay. :sigh:

I only really care about the Ms Marvel figure, if any goon thinks they can help me out then I'd really appreciate it!
If it really came down to it, I guess I'd buy the complete 3-pack and try to offload the 2 I don't want, if that's easier for people.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

That Marvel Legends Target exclusive 3-pack with Ms Marvel, Captain America, and Radioactive Man is apparently out, or at least a whole bunch of people are scalping it for stupid money on eBay. :sigh:

I only really care about the Ms Marvel figure, if any goon thinks they can help me out then I'd really appreciate it!
If it really came down to it, I guess I'd buy the complete 3-pack and try to offload the 2 I don't want, if that's easier for people.

I have a friend who's wife works at Target. I will ask if she can acquire one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Me too. I live in Canada so the Target exclusive stuff never makes it here.

(I have a place to ship to in the States though.)

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Zorglorfian posted:

Nice! Is there a link to how I order it, sir/madame?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. (It's sold out for preorders)

FYI, I was digging around Big Bad Toy Store this morning and you can preorder the Marvel Select Venom again. I'm crazy and a big time Venom mark, so I ordered four of them as I want to use all the different poses / head options for my Venom display. Somewhere around $103 with shipping. Easier than waiting for Barnes and Noble or my local comic shop to get them in. When Carnage comes out next year, he has three different heads / attachments, so I'll be getting multiple Carnage Marvel Selects as well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fish Of Doom posted:

This seems to be the new normal for mass produced action figures. Gone are the days of the Toybiz Marvel legends with washes and shading. I was super excited about Funko's Magic the Gathering figures, but they ended up skimping on the paint and they don't look so hot. That might be my next project, since the sculpts are still decent.

Look at Ajani. The prototype look pretty sweet, but the actual production figure looks pretty bad. They couldn't even be bothered to paint his lips, so now he looks like a sock puppet.

This is making me rage harder than it really should.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Vintersorg posted:

This is making me rage harder than it really should.

Fish of Doom (or anyone really), save us, show us this can be painted to look good! I really like this figure (mostly because I like the look, not because of my beyond-casual magic playing), and I am hoping with a few touchups it can look better.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
This is the most :wtf: figure I've seen all year:

And yes, it is anatomically correct::nws:http://i.imgur.com/Wb67ZgT.jpg:nws:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
That is really, really cool. Any idea about the price?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Why cookie Rocket posted:

That is really, really cool. Any idea about the price?

3980 3781 yen off of HLJ, so about forty bucks if you get cheap shipping.

I kind of want one along with those figuarts effect parts for dynamic action poses of famous art.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Wow... out of the entire list of people on the planet, I would never have guessed Dante would get a figure.

That is actually pretty badass. I wish they'd have done him in 1/6th scale though. I don't have any other figmas, so he's gonna look a bit out of place if I snag one.

Also, UNHAPPY SPECIAL BUS POLICE came in today, and it is ~*AWESOME*~.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Ok, heads up about the figure. The belt is a god damned nightmare until you realize "Oh yea I can take this weird loop thing off!", and the gas mask is actually IN the little pouch. That's pretty awesome.

Tiny zippers and snaps for leg holsters, etc. are all incredibly annoying but I gotta say, the face sculpt is pretty much Urban, and the helmet is a snug fit. This thing is pretty great!

Prepare to spend a bit of time assembling the figure with all the stuff to add on, med pack, clips, etc.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Where did you get that from, again?

Also, trip report on some mans:

Revoltech Big Chap: Pretty good! Wish he was a little bigger though. I might get the NECA Big Chap too just to have a really frickin big chap.

Neca Infrared Dutch: doesn't really look as cool as the images, because the green is transparent plastic but the red and yellow are solid paints. It is an OK Infrared Dutch

Neca NES Predator: so great! The NES themed box is really neat and the paint application and color selection look really good. I preordered Batman.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pre ordered em from monkeydepot back in March or May sometime.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it why are Revoltech figures so loving exspenive? I don't have the budget to drop $250 on a set of TMNT figures.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

God drat it why are Revoltech figures so loving exspenive? I don't have the budget to drop $250 on a set of TMNT figures.

You and me both. I just got Mikey today because I figured having my favorite would be enough.

Its not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blackchamber posted:

You and me both. I just got Mikey today because I figured having my favorite would be enough.

Its not.

Exactly. I want them all. Maybe I'll just buy one a month and hope they don't sell out. Is BBTS the cheapest at $60 a figure?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Exactly. I want them all. Maybe I'll just buy one a month and hope they don't sell out. Is BBTS the cheapest at $60 a figure?

That's where I got mine because its about the same everywhere else I looked when you add shipping. And I think they were out of Leo already.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blackchamber posted:

That's where I got mine because its about the same everywhere else I looked when you add shipping. And I think they were out of Leo already.

gently caress. They are but the sets of four are still in stock. Gonna have to chance it and hope it's still around in a month.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Dredd showed up today at lightning speed, the benefits of shipping from Oregon. He's awesome although his belt and holster were the biggest asspains I've ever had to deal with on a 1/6th scale figure; it took me nearly 30 minutes of fiddling to get the leg straps on his holster clipped around his thigh, and I kept overlooking which belt accessories are clip on and which need to be threaded on the belt and having to redo it. It's good enough and I'm never touching that drat belt again. Only other gripe is that his velcro straps are kinda lovely, but a lot of the velcro that small is kinda lovely.

He's a hell of a bargain for $130 or whatever he was: Lawgiver with standard and suppressed barrel, gas grenade, stick grenade, 3 clips (fourth is in the gun), gas mask (molded to fit over his grimace but you'd have to pose him to hold it in place), folding knife, med kit, and all of that comes with a holster, container, or can otherwise attach to his belt. His fingers are poseable, which threw me for a loop as I'm so used to just replacement hands; they look sort of goofy if not in a fist or holding anything though. He's also got his little arm display with a few of the perps from the movie; it's amazing what they got away with by simply not calling the figure Dredd.

And now I've got my own little Karl Urban :swoon:

Question though: what would be a good stand to get for him? He doesn't come with one and while he stands very well on his own (seriously the foot articulation is amazing, Sideshow/Hot Toys could learn something here) I'd rather not chance him taking a nosedive.

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 18, 2014

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
So today I got another Doctor Doom to replace my lost mask and gun (yay!), and I also got the Legends Green Goblin (yes the pumpkin is glued to the hand, Rage) and a Leader figure. I'm worried about this Legends Face-Off Leader with the big broccoli brain that has something inside the body that makes the figure basically become a baby rattle. Anyone else have this experience with this figure?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ultraviolence123 posted:

FYI, I was digging around Big Bad Toy Store this morning and you can preorder the Marvel Select Venom again. I'm crazy and a big time Venom mark, so I ordered four of them as I want to use all the different poses / head options for my Venom display. Somewhere around $103 with shipping. Easier than waiting for Barnes and Noble or my local comic shop to get them in. When Carnage comes out next year, he has three different heads / attachments, so I'll be getting multiple Carnage Marvel Selects as well.
Whoa whoa whoa, we have a Carnage Marvel Select confirmed for sure? Do we have pics yet?

Also I'm a huge sucker for Venom, too - you should post pics of your Venom display.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Xenomrph posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, we have a Carnage Marvel Select confirmed for sure? Do we have pics yet?

Also I'm a huge sucker for Venom, too - you should post pics of your Venom display.

In other news, it looks like the Winter Soldier hot toy is shipping somewhat soon. I don't think I have been this excited about a hot toy since the Mars Attacks martians.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

I have a friend who's wife works at Target. I will ask if she can acquire one.
Holy poo poo this would be completely awesome, thanks!

Holy goddamn that's fantastic. When Marvel Select Venom came out I said that I hope we got a Carnage of the same caliber, and here we are. I'm not even upset that we got a Marvel Legends version so recently.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
Anyone still looking for agent venom or Black Cat? There were 4 venoms left at my walgreens (though, really, the paint apps are all terrible that I've seen) and I picked up the lone black cat.

They had a spot for black series star wars but nothing in it.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Walgreens is shipping my (now extra) Agent Venom. If anyone needs him, let me know.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I nabbed the Marvel Legends Ms. Marvel/Captain America/Radioactive Man 3 pack today. QC is all over the place, but nothing unfixable.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

I really wish they'd make an updated Marvel Select Spider-Man to go with my Venom and (future) Carnage figures. The old one had really rough articulation. I guess I can sort of fudge the scale with a Legends Spider-Man, but he's a tad too small.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I really wish they'd make an updated Marvel Select Spider-Man to go with my Venom and (future) Carnage figures. The old one had really rough articulation. I guess I can sort of fudge the scale with a Legends Spider-Man, but he's a tad too small.

What about Marvel Select's recent Amazing Spider-Man 2 figure? I thought it looked like of the nicest Spider-Man figures of all time, and it can definitely pass as a comic book version.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Oh drat, I didn't think about that. I wrote him off because it's a movie figure but that costume is nearly identical to the comic one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Oh drat, I didn't think about that. I wrote him off because it's a movie figure but that costume is nearly identical to the comic one.

My friend just picked it up, and he loves it. Here's a review with pics that should win you over:
http://www.hiddenlevel.org/2014/06/marvel-select-amazing-spider-man-2.html

I have the Marvel Legends Amazing Spider-Man 2 figure (shown in a comparison picture), which is still probably in the top five Spidey figures ever, but if you're looking for a Marvel Select Spidey, you won't do any better than this one.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Big Bad Toy Store has the Marvel Select Carnage up for preorder. March 2015. A much nicer photo of the figure is shown there, with the alternate head, etc.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"Daedd" is in. :3:

The left elbow pad already came off when I was popping the vest on but that can be fixed with some better glue. The bottom part of the zipper on the vest isn't secure but its still close enough and not a huge deal. But overall this is a great figure. A big step down from Hot Toys but man they weren't jumping on Dredd at any time. Plus for this price it can't be beat.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Fish Of Doom posted:

Hahahaha, holy poo poo. I knew they were gonna gently caress these up somehow but goddamn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

Holy poo poo this would be completely awesome, thanks!

Nothing yet, she will keep checking!

So K-Mart is closing the local store and even though I figured it would be worthless I swung over there. Grabbed a Spider-man Legends Beetle for $10 and the Hawkeye Masher for $6. Also some Hot Wheels for $.75 each. I found some grownup stuff too but that poo poo is boring.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Whelp, broke the strap holding Dredd's gun holster to his leg, so its sorta just strapped there. I couldn't figure a way to get it longer since the strap devices are so loving tiny. Oh well. This belt is one of the most frustrating loving things ive had to deal with on a figure at this price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh god that thing was a pain in the rear end.

It's a loop belt though, so you can pull out part of the top section and it'll loosen up a bit and you can lengthen it. As it is, it's way too small.

About the only way I can describe it is like those old bookcase straps where they looped the material through the thing twice so you could adjust it.