Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Circle pits are awesome and I always recommend jumping in if you see one forming.

Dammit this makes me miss college. I haven't been to a good show with a mosh pit in 5-6 years. I used to love that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

Got derFerd licensed, finally. The last person gave me poo poo because it was a POA sale, and that I had a bill of sale but not their POA paperwork. I tried to explain why it wasn't needed, but they wouldn't have it.

I got someone else today, and she said "You don't need this, the second party on the title signed it over." I responded "That's what I thought, too. We're both wrong, according to <dmv desk number here>." I got an eyeroll and "Oh, she's new. She doesn't know everything- although, she thinks she does."

Just to be safe, she kept the multiple-page POA paperwork from the former owners' attorney.
--
A few days ago when we had ~70mph winds, somebody lost something black and large in the middle of the highway. It was about the size of a baseball bat, and thanks to some shithead overtaking another shithead ON THE SHOULDER, I had no choice but to run over it with the car. It did a bit of damage to the plastic cover beneath (which was already busted up from years of the PO grinding it into hills). Larger washers on all screws, some zip ties (neon, of course), and everything is back to normal.

I still don't feel like drilling the rivets out of the passenger rear door and replacing the regulator, because I know I'm gonna bleed. Any time you get into the doors, you bleed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My FLIR One showed up a little bit ago. Holy poo poo, that thing is amazing. For a low-res FLIR camera, they did a fantastic job showing detail by combining the image with a modified picture from the iphone's camera. You see poo poo that you'd never expect. Every transformer on the wall jumps out at you, the dishwasher is running and it's showing hot all over there, but the surprising thing was heat coming up from the disposal... which when you think of it is perfectly logical, since that's where the dishwasher drains, but it's crazy to watch it happen in real-time.

Well worth a few hundred bucks as a toy, not even mentioning the utility as a tool.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

BraveUlysses posted:

I have an interview in 90 minutes and I'm anxious as gently caress. haven't had an interview in a year and a half and that one was excruciatingly bad.
Don't worry about it, my last interview for my current job went horribly, or so I thought. I wasn't in a great mood and I responded to the "Tell me about yourself" question with a "Ehhh, well what do you want to know?" Two years later Im still here.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

meatpimp posted:

the dishwasher is running and it's showing hot all over there, but the surprising thing was heat coming up from the disposal... which when you think of it is perfectly logical, since that's where the dishwasher drains, but it's crazy to watch it happen in real-time.

Get a house with worse plumbing and you won't just see heat coming up from the disposal, you'll get water too. Pretty unpleasant surprise I tell you what. But luckily by the time I got back from the store with the Drain-O and mega-plunger, it had drained.

(Then later I put some pickles in the garbage disposal and backed the fucker up for days, took hours to snake that poo poo out from its hiding spot 10 feet past the U-bend. Don't put pickles in the garbage disposal)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Some of you may like the latest XKCD What If? page:

http://what-if.xkcd.com/116/

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

That's great and now I really want to see the survivable-one in action. If I'm understanding it correctly, there will be vomit everywhere.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Dammit I hate residential work. Doing a side job moving all the household media devices to a closet in the basement. All the exisiting holes between the basement and first floor are jam packed and I can't fit my drill in the space to come up through the walls. The living room TV is mounted above the fireplace so I can't drill a hole on the floor behind the fireplace structure either. Luckily my boss said I can borrow a snake and some tools from the shop tomorrow so I should be able to figure it out. The new Comcast XFinity cable boxes uses RF instead of IR, with a range of 50ft so all I gotta do is run an HDMI cable through the wall to the basement.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What a fantastically cool thing. You can look at the images below and pick a point and it'll give you a temp reading (when you're live on the phone). This is going to make me all :spergin:

Here's a doge:

Any my basement computer closet:

Any my wife's Juke after cooling down for about an hour:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That is cool as gently caress.

My interview went very well and I'll know next week if I get the job! Time to celebrate with beers :monocle:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo that FLIR One is the coolest thing, and would actually help me out a ton at work. Too bad it's too expensive for my budget right now.

E: congrats on the good job interview man! It's always a great feeling knowing you nailed an interview.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I want a FLIR.

Post more pictures of FLIR!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

It's worth mentioning that at least once we've already found and exceeded the limits of racing drivers from sheer speed alone.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
For those of you who didn't get the snap, or had your sound turned down and therefore didn't get anything useful out of it: I saw gas being sold for $2.65 today. I haven't seen it that low in, poo poo, years. A station down the road has it for $2.89, which is still incredibly cheap.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

For those of you who didn't get the snap, or had your sound turned down and therefore didn't get anything useful out of it: I saw gas being sold for $2.65 today. I haven't seen it that low in, poo poo, years. A station down the road has it for $2.89, which is still incredibly cheap.

I remember when i was in grade 9, people were freaking the gently caress out because gas climbed to 46.9 a liter.

Now they're freaking the gently caress out because it dropped to 107.9

Humans are loving dumb.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
The Ford dealership / service centre closed down here without warning recently. All the stuff has been taken away. next month they are having a clearance sale of the equipment. Probably all too high $ for me but I'm going anyway. Anything good to look out for?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd jump on a tire machine and/or balancer for the right price.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I hope people enjoyed the snap of the gauges on a big AC locomotive (4400 HP v16 prime mover)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I hope people enjoyed the snap of the gauges on a big AC locomotive (4400 HP v16 prime mover)

Wait, what? I'm missing out on something cool here apparently! What's your username? :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I wish I'd opened it when the phone was hooked into the car's stereo so I could have fully appreciated the noise :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So a family member who shall remain nameless decided it'd be a good idea to hang a metal headboard above the guest bedroom bed.

With a single nail through drywall.

We heard a crash today. Found the headboard on the floor. Went to pick it up and OH gently caress WHY DOES IT TINGLE WHY DOES THIS FEEL LIKE ELECTRIC

There was a bedside lamp plugged in behind the bed. Cord for it got crushed (lamp still worked somehow), headboard was resting on a frayed section. Turned off the breaker, unplugged the lamp, turned the breaker back on until I could put a new outlet in. Just finished doing that.

(yes, that is the hot side that's exposed)

Also cut out the damaged section of lamp cord and put a new plug on... and plugged it into an extension cord with a 90 degree plug on it since some people in this house looooove to shove furniture up against the wall, plugs/cords be damned.

Found out both UPSs in the house are working just fine - my PC hibernated perfectly, mom's hibernated fine as well (why the gently caress are 2 1/2 rooms on one 15 amp breaker?! half of my room's outlets are on another breaker).

Elmnt80 posted:

Circle pits are awesome and I always recommend jumping in if you see one forming.

Oh gently caress yes they are. And I didn't have a choice, the pit came to me. :v:

angryhampster posted:

Dammit this makes me miss college. I haven't been to a good show with a mosh pit in 5-6 years. I used to love that stuff.

Dude, I was 34 the last time I was in a big pit, and I was far from the only old fart in there. I still go to plenty of shows, though these days it's usually local punk bands. In 2012 I saw well over 100 bands live, same for 2013. I think I've only seen 20 or so this year, I'm slacking. And I'm always in the pit if it's a band that warrants one (I see a lot of indie stuff too, you can't really mosh to Dum Dum Girls).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 18, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

T1g4h posted:

Wait, what? I'm missing out on something cool here apparently! What's your username? :v:

Its my sa user name brokenknucklez

Some of them are pretty lame but others are cool. I can only snap after we are dead on hours of service so its strange times.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 18, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its my sa user name brokenknucklez

Some of them are pretty lame but others are cool. I can only snap after we are dead on hours of service so its strange times.

Locomotives are awesome as hell though, so random train snaps are always gonna be cool in my book :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Traveling while sick is not fun. Occasionally coughing and blowing my nose while all the TV's in the airport are freaking out about ebola was fairly entertaining though. Head is very stuffed up, altitude/pressure changes did not help things. My left ear will not equalize so it feels and sounds like I have an earplug in for the past ~14 hours.

Cold wet day at Road America today, hope the forecast is correct with decent weather for the weekend. Last race of the season and RA is a great track. If anyone is in the area get in touch (pm/snapchat/whatever) if you want to come watch and hang out, we may put you to work.

ssjonizuka posted:

Technically unnamed, 9lb 2oz. "Little" boy was born this afternoon. Baby and momma are doing awesome. I'd forgotten they could be so little. :3: (and for reference, this is #2).

Also, Mrs. SSJOnizuka is loving amazing - no way I could hold a candle to what she has accomplished today.
Congratulations man, was happy to see the snaps when I landed.

Terry Francona
Jan 20, 2004

by Cowcaster
this lady is selling a 2002 Volvo S40 for 300 bucks says it isnt drivable obviously i ask her why this is what she said. Had at the garage. They said it is the timing belt but think some things were bent. Wanted to charge me 2000 to fix it. I have had someone else look at it and doesnt think anything is bent. I have a sick husband and didnt have time to fool with it. I have a clean title for it. how dumb would it be to buy this and how much you guys think it would take to fix it?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Well, you should first research if it is an interference, or non-interference motor. :v:

Terry Francona
Jan 20, 2004

by Cowcaster
whats the importance of that? i dont know much about cars really.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The S40 is a DOHC so it's an interference motor. In an interference motor, the valve and the piston occupy the same space at different times (the valve comes far enough down and the piston comes far enough up that they could potentially meet). Usually the valve comes down, poops some fuel and air into the cylinder, and then gets the gently caress out before the piston comes up to compress that fuel and air.

In this case, the timing belt broke, which failed to drive the cam that the valve depends on, so a valve was still hanging down when the piston came up.

This means that at least one valve is probably bent from striking the top of the piston. You'd need to put new valves in the head or (ideally) just replace it with a head from a wrecker. Then you'd have to re-time it, and probably fix all the timing set bits while you're at it.

The more pressing concern is that if you're dealing with someone who didn't have the money or knowledge to replace a timing belt there are probably other things they ignored.

Check car-part to see what a replacement head will cost. You will learn a lot about cars extremely quickly, but not in a way I would ever recommend doing with your own money and time.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 18, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Terry Francona posted:

Then don't start with a Swede that is going to need at least a head job :pervert:. Start with something simple.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Terry Francona posted:

This is not the car for you. Run away. Now.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Terry Francona posted:

BUY THE FUCKER.

Or get a Rover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The best part about the internet jukeboxes is that you can secretly play What's Up Pussy Cat ten times in a row.

Until an employee logs in and overrides your songs.

And before someone calls this out as bullshit, gently caress you. I worked in a bar for ten loving years and every internet juke box can be manually logged into and songs deleted from the playlist. The password on the machine at Peanuts in Fort Wayne Indiana was "GiantsSuck."

Terry Francona
Jan 20, 2004

by Cowcaster
thanks for the advice guys i will not buy thee volvo. was hoping i could get it fixed for like 500 bucks or something and have a ok car for under a grand looks like that isn't gonna be possible. looks like i'll be drivin my 94 s-10 with 230k on her awhile longer.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

And before someone calls this out as bullshit, gently caress you. I worked in a bar for ten loving years and every internet juke box can be manually logged into and songs deleted from the playlist. The password on the machine at Peanuts in Fort Wayne Indiana was "GiantsSuck."

Did you start taking roids on your month off?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

It's from a standup you goon.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Cooking up some ghost pepper chilli and listening to Cannibal Corpse. Even if my chilli's not the most liked, it will at least be the most metal.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Thanks for all the congrats. Things are going well, and big bro is off to a good start. :)

As for those expecting :buddy: or in the process of trying :gizz: good luck to you and enjoy the ride. :heysexy:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

This is not the car for you. Run away. Now.

What are you talking about, my neighbor that knows cars said all it needs is a tune up

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Phone chat:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-One-M8-...fepn=5337259887

CELL20SAVE will get you another $20 off.

GSM only but something to consider. I'm debating getting this or trying to get my hands on a OnePlus One. You can convert this into a Google Play Edition easily and save yourself $300+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

BUY THE FUCKER.

Or get a Rover.

A P38 Range Rover is the best idea.

• Locked thread