Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

born on a buy you posted:

You can play cornucopia for 0 early on. Just fyi.

This is why I occasionally make people play out their combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Mirrodin Block, Fallen Empires, Rise of the Eldrazi, Magic 2011.

Assuming Modern Masters isn't allowed:

For Aggro:
Zendikar, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, Darksteel, Gatecrash, Alara Reborn

On the other hand, if durdling is more your thing:
Time Spiral, Guildpact, Darksteel, Rise of the Eldrazi, Shadowmoor, Future Sight

I think Future-Sight is a must-attempt because it has one of the most busted limited cards ever at common. Also worldwake is a pipe dream so for realists it would make sense to substitute that with Darksteel for old swords.

Keep in mind that Darksteel in particular is a small set with Vulshok Morningstar at common and two Swords at rare. With Alara Reborn the X-blades and Cascade are pretty absurd mechanics that can interplay with Gatecrash's aggressive themes. Shadowmoor and Time Spiral are large sets, which is unfortunate, but they have plenty of cards that are good value. I'm honestly not sure if Guildpact has aged well, since a lot of old Ravnica block suffer from combat damage being removed from the stack, so an alternative consideration could be Conflux or Scourge, since both sets have a common cycle of landcyclers.

This might be the wrong approach, but I figure looking at what the average pack in the set is likely to contain isn't a bad idea for pack selection.

Oh and if you really want to live the dream, you can always go with Betrayers of Kamigawa, in which case, good luck.

Also I guess Future Sight might be a hard set to get ahold of, in which case Shards might be worth consideration because it has a lot of solid removal at common. Also Legions is worth consideration because that's going to be 15 creatures in a pack.

On a side note: do you pick packs one at a time, like do you open one and pick your next, or do you pick 6 at once?

Because then I'd try to set aside a few to look at how much fixing you want and stuff like that.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 18, 2014

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Zoness posted:

On a side note: do you pick packs one at a time, like do you open one and pick your next, or do you pick 6 at once?

Because then I'd try to set aside a few to look at how much fixing you want and stuff like that.

Pick all the packs at once. My main issue is balancing which packs to get vs actual cost. Old mirrodin block/darksteel had some good stuff but I'm sure you pay a premium for the pack. I thought about doing all ravnica because the newer block is still cheap and the older block isn't terribly expensive and would go well with it. Plus guildgates at common in the packs to help with fixing.

I can't remember the exact rules but periodically during the months of the league we are allowed to buy a new booster to add to our pool, and after the initial six the boosters we buy don't have to be unique.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
my usual answer for this kind of thing is "get Urza's Saga" just for Pestilence at common

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Toshimo posted:

This is why I occasionally make people play out their combos.

So is there an actual difference between Purse and Cornucopia in terms of how they allow Ascendancy combo to go off? They're both 0-cost artifacts that you can pump mana into if you want some utility before you combo off.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So I'm playing that :20bux: Tom Ross monored deck online, and first round I run up against a Child of Night / Heliod's Pilgrim / Ordeal of Heliod deck. Turns out that is almost enough to beat me, and a maindeck Congregate for 16 life is definitely enough.

Almost lost the third games too, drawing seven spells and six lands. Fortunately my opponent let me attack him down to three, then tapped out end of turn for a Congregate, letting my Searing Blood kill his Grisly Transformation enchanted Sungrace Pegasus and deal the last three damage to my opponent.

Boy that was a lot of cards I did not expect to nearly lose to.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So is there an actual difference between Purse and Cornucopia in terms of how they allow Ascendancy combo to go off? They're both 0-cost artifacts that you can pump mana into if you want some utility before you combo off.

Cornucopia is only useful if you're siding into something that wants the manaramp. The Purse can be used when you have infinite mana to prevent all the opponent's creatures from blocking, letting you attack with a buffed creature. As 0 mana combo pieces they're identical.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hellsau posted:

Cornucopia is only useful if you're siding into something that wants the manaramp. The Purse can be used when you have infinite mana to prevent all the opponent's creatures from blocking, letting you attack with a buffed creature. As 0 mana combo pieces they're identical.

This is really it. You can start going off, and then often you just need a couple mana somewhere to play Purse for 1 and tap out their blockers. Once you are going off, the Cornucopia is blank. It means you can generally go off with 1 less card, which often means 1-3 turns sooner.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Toshimo posted:

This is really it. You can start going off, and then often you just need a couple mana somewhere to play Purse for 1 and tap out their blockers. Once you are going off, the Cornucopia is blank. It means you can generally go off with 1 less card, which often means 1-3 turns sooner.

Can you explain to me why twinflame in the deck and how it is used to implement the combo? I have been piloting the deck and I really don't understand the use of the card in general, maybe I'm just stupid. I went 2nd at my FNM today despite not knowing this which just means this deck is silly. Looking forward to gameday. :confuoot:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Samael posted:

Can you explain to me why twinflame in the deck and how it is used to implement the combo? I have been piloting the deck and I really don't understand the use of the card in general, maybe I'm just stupid. I went 2nd at my FNM today despite not knowing this which just means this deck is silly. Looking forward to gameday. :confuoot:
You make more mana dudes with Twinflame. You will make a good amount of mana to make one copy, maybe strive it for another.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Hellsau posted:

Tom Ross monored deck

I picked up the cards for that today at noon and went 5-0 and came in first at FNM tonight. :v: [My first FNM ever]

Most of the top 8 was azban, there was 2 other aggro decks that sort of game me a little bit of fits but they got mana screwed. Mono white soldiers did ok, and 2nd was a green red monsters with phoenixes that was giving me issues.

Got 8 kahns packs and got nothing in them. I should have taken the store credit and picked up some singles.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 18, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Samael posted:

If you have a mana dork and an untapped land, and an Ascendancy out, you tap the mana dork and the land, cast twinflame, untap your dork, make a second dork who has haste. Now, every time you cast a noncreature spell, you get 2 mana. So, casting a Dragon Mantle draws a card and makes a mana, casting a 0-drop makes 2 mana and let's you use the Ascendancy loot, etc. Most of the time when you are trying to go off, you need 2 mana dorks and Twinflame generates a second one with haste, while untapping the first.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Toshimo posted:

If you have a mana dork and an untapped land, and an Ascendancy out, you tap the mana dork and the land, cast twinflame, untap your dork, make a second dork who has haste. Now, every time you cast a noncreature spell, you get 2 mana. So, casting a Dragon Mantle draws a card and makes a mana, casting a 0-drop makes 2 mana and let's you use the Ascendancy loot, etc. Most of the time when you are trying to go off, you need 2 mana dorks and Twinflame generates a second one with haste, while untapping the first.

And don't forget the loot triggers on Jeskai Ascendancy!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
How does limited not turn into cesspools of cheating at fnm? Walking around limited tonight I am looking at a board state of two butchers and another game with a rhino and sorin.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

How does limited not turn into cesspools of cheating at fnm? Walking around limited tonight I am looking at a board state of two butchers and another game with a rhino and sorin.

Sometimes people pass a bomb they can't use? I've opened 2 copies of the same rare in a draft before. I just drafted P1P1 Mire P2P1 Foil Rhino P3P1 Foothills last Saturday.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
It's entirely possible to get passed 4 rares if someone next to you gets a foil Pick 1 or they don't plan on using or whatever.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Check the store's own online prices. I've posted here before about a store I used to go to that jacked up in-store prices and then had the same cards online for much much cheaper. Curious if this is another case of that.

They don't appear to have any sort of online inventory. I guess they're just conceding to the superiority of online retailers and going for the 'convenience charge' :shrug:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Thanks for the explanation! I see what you mean now - hopefully this information will mean I won't get annihilated during gameday. Want dat full art utter end. Never actually played a combo deck before (apart from some jank archangel of thune/fathom mage/horizon chimera mess last gameday!) so it's pretty new to me. Didn't stop me from combo-ing off 5 times though today, dig through time is really what makes the deck tick.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Samael posted:

Thanks for the explanation! I see what you mean now - hopefully this information will mean I won't get annihilated during gameday. Want dat full art utter end. Never actually played a combo deck before (apart from some jank archangel of thune/fathom mage/horizon chimera mess last gameday!) so it's pretty new to me. Didn't stop me from combo-ing off 5 times though today, dig through time is really what makes the deck tick.

The hardest part of Jeskai Ascendancy, like most combo decks, is to know when to mulligan. Don't be afraid to go to 6 on game 1 if your draw doesn't lead anywhere.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Toshimo posted:

The hardest part of Jeskai Ascendancy, like most combo decks, is to know when to mulligan. Don't be afraid to go to 6 on game 1 if your draw doesn't lead anywhere.

Okay. What do you think of running voyaging satyr over kiora's follower?

Pros of Satyr- Easier mana cost

Pros of Follower- 2 power, can untap other permanents

I'm deciding which one to use- im running something similar to the Umbrella Revolution's manabase, but I think it's risky not having the right colours.

Secondly, when would you sideboard into the aggro part of the deck with the knuckleblades? When they have lots of answers to the combo (hand disruption etc?), I faced two thoughtseize heavy decks (abzan midrange and mardu control) and fighting through the despises/seizes were very difficult. Would you just side out the combo itself or the supporting pieces (mantle, tormenting voice, etc?)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Samael posted:

Okay. What do you think of running voyaging satyr over kiora's follower?

Pros of Satyr- Easier mana cost

Pros of Follower- 2 power, can untap other permanents

I'm deciding which one to use- im running something similar to the Umbrella Revolution's manabase, but I think it's risky not having the right colours.

Secondly, when would you sideboard into the aggro part of the deck with the knuckleblades? When they have lots of answers to the combo (hand disruption etc?), I faced two thoughtseize heavy decks (abzan midrange and mardu control) and fighting through the despises/seizes were very difficult. Would you just side out the combo itself or the supporting pieces (mantle, tormenting voice, etc?)

I don't play enough Standard to give you sideboard advice, but when you are stuck with your only sources of a color as a painland and a mana dork, you'll wish you had Kiora's Follower to untap that mana dork instead of Voyaging Satyr.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
So, Dark Betrayal is a card. Destroy target Siege Rhino for 1 at Instant? Yes please. Does this seem like a playable SB card to anyone else?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Went 2-2 at FNM playing Temur Monsters. Lost to two guys who were playing with sleeves, won against two who weren't. Both of my losses were 2-1 though so not terrible. Attacked with Elvish Mystic into Raise the Alarm which was pretty stupid.

Edit: Oh yeah, first opponent flipped up a reversed card he was using as a proxy pretty early in the first game. I asked him what it was supposed to be, he said Disdainful Stroke and I let him go get two to put in place of the proxies (the second not immediately). Is that the right move for an FNM? I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat or anything.

odiv fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 18, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

It's entirely possible to get passed 4 rares if someone next to you gets a foil Pick 1 or they don't plan on using or whatever.

I am a loving moron that doesn't check what I write when I am on mobile. This was sealed not limited.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sickening posted:

I am a loving moron that doesn't check what I write when I am on mobile. This was sealed not limited.
You can get pretty bomby stuff in Limited Sealed. It happens.

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
Went 3-1 tonight at FNM with mono-black aggro. Should I run master of the feast? The 5/5 flyer is cool, but the "draw a card" thing is giving me hives.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Crusaderking posted:

Went 3-1 tonight at FNM with mono-black aggro. Should I run master of the feast? The 5/5 flyer is cool, but the "draw a card" thing is giving me hives.

Against decks where burn is the removal its great. Against all other removal it can be a free card for your opponent.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Early nomination for next MTG thread title: Magic: The Gathering: Megathread: My girlfriend

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Which card has the following flavor text?

"Just wait till I get my form of the dragon card. Then I'll be a dragon"

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

stinkles1112 posted:

So, Dark Betrayal is a card. Destroy target Siege Rhino for 1 at Instant? Yes please. Does this seem like a playable SB card to anyone else?

The problem is that 'destroy target Siege Rhino' is literally the only thing you're doing with it because people aren't playing other black creatures. Other than the occasional 1-of Anafenza. That's not really worth a slot.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Crusaderking posted:

Yes, at least 2 in the main. I also kept 2 in the side. The 5 toughness is very relevant in that it typically requires at least 2 burn spells to kill and has to be answered or it can take over a game. Stops stormbreaths and sarkhans from attacking as well. Even if they draw a card, 5 damage is a lot when you drop a mogis marauder the following turn.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Zoness posted:

Although the format was known for jund, Jund itself rarely hit $500, usually stopping short of the $300 mark or so ($10 fetches, $20 maelstrom pulses, then like $10 ravines and lavaclaws). It was decks that ran Jace and Baneslayer that ran up deck prices, with Mythic clocking in around $700, and I'm fairly sure it actually dropped in price when it turned into Mythic Conscription.

Meanwhile Legacy Goblins was still in the $300-$500 range tops, I believe.
Goblins was more... I was playing it then and $300 maybe have got you ports, wastelands, and fetches. RB goblins for perish, leyline, and warren.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Went to my FNM for the first time in 4 years. I have determined that Ponder needs to be reprinted. also manlands. also gently caress thoughtseize

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007

Gensuki posted:

Which card has the following flavor text?

"Just wait till I get my form of the dragon card. Then I'll be a dragon"

No cards have that flavor text. But it fits the pattern of text from Timmy, Power Gamer and Johnny, Combo Player. If Vorthos ever gets a card, it will probably say something like that.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

magicalblender posted:

No cards have that flavor text. But it fits the pattern of text from Timmy, Power Gamer and Johnny, Combo Player. If Vorthos ever gets a card, it will probably say something like that.

I feel like I remember that (vorthos) being what it was, but I couldn't find the name/card? It looks like a kid crying in...some kind of animal suit? Like... a rabbit or maybe some kind of silly looking dragon?

It might have been from the card design thread actually...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zoness posted:

Assuming Modern Masters isn't allowed:

For Aggro:
Zendikar, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, Darksteel, Gatecrash, Alara Reborn

On the other hand, if durdling is more your thing:
Time Spiral, Guildpact, Darksteel, Rise of the Eldrazi, Shadowmoor, Future Sight

I think Future-Sight is a must-attempt because it has one of the most busted limited cards ever at common. Also worldwake is a pipe dream so for realists it would make sense to substitute that with Darksteel for old swords.

Keep in mind that Darksteel in particular is a small set with Vulshok Morningstar at common and two Swords at rare. With Alara Reborn the X-blades and Cascade are pretty absurd mechanics that can interplay with Gatecrash's aggressive themes. Shadowmoor and Time Spiral are large sets, which is unfortunate, but they have plenty of cards that are good value. I'm honestly not sure if Guildpact has aged well, since a lot of old Ravnica block suffer from combat damage being removed from the stack, so an alternative consideration could be Conflux or Scourge, since both sets have a common cycle of landcyclers.

This might be the wrong approach, but I figure looking at what the average pack in the set is likely to contain isn't a bad idea for pack selection.

Oh and if you really want to live the dream, you can always go with Betrayers of Kamigawa, in which case, good luck.

Also I guess Future Sight might be a hard set to get ahold of, in which case Shards might be worth consideration because it has a lot of solid removal at common. Also Legions is worth consideration because that's going to be 15 creatures in a pack.

Yeah I posted those up without really thinking through. My reasoning was you want a sold base of commons/uncommon to protect against ante taking a bomb and destroying your deck. Mirrodin has stuff like Bonesplitter at common, Loxidon Warhammer at uncommon but has a lot more chaff than I remember. Fifth Dawn probably a skip too since it looks like it's a mess outside Shackles, Magma Jet, and Cranial Plating. Zen/WW creatures with Mirrodin/Darksteel equip if you're lucky seems like it would crush though. FE pump knights and hymn are good but honestly whichever set has the best common removal+disruption is the way to go.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Quoting this for a new page; it's a really awesome story, thank you for sharing it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

Speaking of Cornucopia, I'm trying Trinket Mage in Blue Tron and I'm trying to think of other good artifacts to grab with it besides Exploration Map and Chalice of the Void?

I have a pretty heavy Trinket Mage sideboard strategy, with Relic of Progenitus, Pithing Needle, Tormod's Crypt, and Sigil of Distinction. I have 4 Trinket Mage in the side, so the singleton Sigil is really nice to bring in - sometimes I draw a Trinket Mage late in a slow game, and making him into a 15/15 creature is enough to close it out.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm having the weirdest loving problem on MTGO. I'm trying out that blue/white robots deck (which is really fun when it works, by the way), but I cannot for the life of me find any Stratus Walks on any trade bots. It's a drat common from a set that's still standard legal, how come not a single bot has four copies of it? :psyduck:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

Glare of Heresy seems better since it hits Mantis Rider too. Unfortunately, neither of those cards stops you from taking three from each of the creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm having the weirdest loving problem on MTGO. I'm trying out that blue/white robots deck (which is really fun when it works, by the way), but I cannot for the life of me find any Stratus Walks on any trade bots. It's a drat common from a set that's still standard legal, how come not a single bot has four copies of it? :psyduck:

Looks like MTGOTraders have 26 in stock

• Locked thread