Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Maybe the throttle body needs cleaning?

I've had that happen with a dirty idle air control valve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Thanks gents. The weird thing is turning the car off and turning it back on does away with the problem. It also does not depend on any specific speed since it's happened from 35-75 mph. Very weird. I'll try google from a proper computer than just my phone I had with me last night when posting.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
I'm moving to Peoria, Arizona in a couple weeks and will be buying my first car before the end of September. I'm looking for a fun compact car to drive while commuting to work with good mileage. I was checking out the Mazda3 and felt in love with the specs.

I torn between the 2015 i SV model and a certified pre-owned 2012 touring model Mazda3. I was wondering if 4K is worth it with the newer model. I contacted some dealers around the area for the 2015 model and I can get the price down to around 18200. I was wondering if I should/could try to get the price lower than that.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I'm moving to Peoria, Arizona in a couple weeks and will be buying my first car before the end of September. I'm looking for a fun compact car to drive while commuting to work with good mileage. I was checking out the Mazda3 and felt in love with the specs.

I torn between the 2015 i SV model and a certified pre-owned 2012 touring model Mazda3. I was wondering if 4K is worth it with the newer model. I contacted some dealers around the area for the 2015 model and I can get the price down to around 18200. I was wondering if I should/could try to get the price lower than that.

18200 looks like a pretty good price.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The second-generation Mazda3 still shared a lot of its components and design with the original Mazda3. This doesn't make it a bad car, but the current car is loving fantastic. I had an '07 MS3 and I've driven my sister-in-law's 2014 i sedan (I can't recall the trim on it) and aside from being down ~110hp, it was better in just about every way than my MS3. I'd go for the new one.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is anyone running the Corksport TMIC and an e85 mix?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Your annual reminder to get your tires rotated OFTEN when you have a Mazda 3, and check the inside shoulders when you do it.

Got my tires rotated at a dealer just before a 1,600 mile road trip, and had a tire explode in the middle of bum-gently caress Washington. Dealer didn't say a peep when they rotated, but sure enough the entire inside shoulder was completely wrecked and blew out nearly all the way around the tire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I never bothered rotating because my front and rear both killed the inside corner. It only would've helped if rotating included swapping tires on the wheels so that the inside shoulder was now on the outside.

It was those inside loving shoulders every time on that car. Never blew one up but I did cord two different sets there.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

IOwnCalculus posted:

I never bothered rotating because my front and rear both killed the inside corner. It only would've helped if rotating included swapping tires on the wheels so that the inside shoulder was now on the outside.

It was those inside loving shoulders every time on that car. Never blew one up but I did cord two different sets there.

Yeah my 2011 Speed3 does this too, its really starting to piss me off. I put my car on the alignment rack at work and it's perfectly within alignment too. I decided I'm going to dismount and reverse the tires eventually.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My 2008 Mazda3 got bad chopping (I think that's the term? It was like a wavy wear pattern) on both the rear inside shoulders. My mechanic suggested it might be because my shocks are bad, which they definitely are. Does that sound plausible or is that just something that happens to these cars regardless of alignment/suspension condition? I'm planning on replacing the shocks and struts anyway, but I guess I'll make sure to stay diligent about rotation afterward.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How many miles / kms do you have on it?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CharlesM posted:

How many miles / kms do you have on it?

Bought it at 83k miles. It's up to 95k now. I put new tires on about 4,000 miles ago so I suppose I should take a good look at them for uneven wear when I get a chance.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

wa27 posted:

Bought it at 83k miles. It's up to 95k now. I put new tires on about 4,000 miles ago so I suppose I should take a good look at them for uneven wear when I get a chance.

Your mechanic is absolutely right, bad springs will cause chopping.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

I just went from a 2008 Mazda3 SGT to a 2014 SGT and yeah, the old one has nothing on the new one except for less lovely C pillar blind spots. That's it, really. The MazdaConnect system is still kind of glitchy but generally nice. The nav system is really good until you get a very large building or entire mountain blocking your car's view to the southern horizon and then hilarious things start to happen on the screen as you phase warp through entire rock walls or navigate one way streets the wrong way at 45 degree angles.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Brain Issues posted:

Your mechanic is absolutely right, bad springs will cause chopping.

That being said my '12 Speed3 has destroyed the inside shoulder within two summers from being brand new so it's also something with the design of the car I guess. I read a few people say the problem went away when they switched to something with a significantly stiffer sidewall so I'm researching that for when I replace these crappy OEM Dunlops

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Do the turbos in the CX-7 DISI engine have the same smoking seals issue that the Mazdaspeed 6 had?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's up with the paint on my 09 3 hatch being made of really thick butter or something.

Every other day it's a new ding down to the primer, and I'm just doing light highway driving.

All of a sudden I think I know why our cars have rust cancer.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Does anyone know why corksport is the only company that differentiates the two flange sizes on their test pipe? I'll be hooking up to stock down pipe and cbe. I was looking at the obx pipe on eBay, the description says it will work with the oem cbe, just want to confirm this will fit without any leakage. I'd really rather not spend $170 on a piece of pipe.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Had a really bizarre rough idle on my 2014 Mazda3 2.5L. The car basically shook really hard until i shifted into reverse and got out of my parking space. It hasn't happened again. Should I be worried?

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

Kraftwerk posted:

Had a really bizarre rough idle on my 2014 Mazda3 2.5L. The car basically shook really hard until i shifted into reverse and got out of my parking space. It hasn't happened again. Should I be worried?

I actually get this fairly regularly on my car, also a 2014 2.5L. I've taken it to the dealer before and they said nothing was wrong. There's a TSB out for low oil pressure causing a rough idle that I'm having them look into tomorrow during an oil change. I'll let you know if they say anything, but I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this as well.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

It still gives a quick shake on idle occasionally. I'll try a higher grade of fuel and see if there's a difference.

direspoon
Jul 8, 2006

Is that a spoon around your neck, or are you just happy to see me?

Got the TSB serviced during my oil change. The heavy shaking is pretty much entirely gone. I'll get a few heavier rumbles now and then, but nothing like before that felt like the whole car was heaving. Didn't get a chance to ask anything else, like potential long term damage, but I have the rough idle documented with them from when I bought the car.

So if you're still getting heavy shakes, I'd recommend at least getting it checked out. A lot nicer to be sitting at a red light and not having my car buck around.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Local Mazda dealership kept calling me for like a week and leaving messages "with important information about my Mazdaspeed6." I work thirds so I've always slept through but I caught them the other day and apparently since I was in their service records and they wanted "to stock a MS6," they offered to have me come in and get an offer on my car.

I've never heard of this before.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They're trying to sell you a new car.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lol come on dude

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only older trick in "car sales 101" is "buy low, sell high".

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

We need cars like yours! There is a crazy demand for an almost 10 year old turbocharged sedan that nobody bought new anyways!

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Bovril Delight posted:

We need cars like yours! There is a crazy demand for an almost 10 year old turbocharged sedan that nobody bought new anyways!

"Turns out people* are going crazy for recalled ignition switch GM** vehicles, WE NEED YOUR CAR TODAY***"

On a more serious note, I've also had dealers call me telling me they found "new rebates" and other funny stuff; can't fault them for trying I guess.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Hahaha

Yeah I'm way too attached to my car as it is, even after blowing up the transfer case. Almost 90k miles on the odometer.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

direspoon posted:

Got the TSB serviced during my oil change. The heavy shaking is pretty much entirely gone. I'll get a few heavier rumbles now and then, but nothing like before that felt like the whole car was heaving. Didn't get a chance to ask anything else, like potential long term damage, but I have the rough idle documented with them from when I bought the car.

So if you're still getting heavy shakes, I'd recommend at least getting it checked out. A lot nicer to be sitting at a red light and not having my car buck around.

I only got the heavy shakes once. Most of the time I just noticed a slightly higher vibration than what I'm used to and a bit more of a sputtery idle. I since switched to 91 octane ethanol-free gasoline for a bit. I noticed the engine runs a lot smoother and the weird idle problems were no longer present. I don't know how much of that can be attributed to fuel type.

I understand the manual puts this car at 87 octane and that the manufacturer knows best. But at the same time I've been reading up about how this engine was built. It's a 13:1 compression ratio and the only reason regular is recommended is something to do with the exhaust headers being specially designed to allow it. When you look at the Euro models of the Skyactiv Mazdas almost all of them require a higher octane than 87 (I accounted for the difference between AKI and RON). I think Mazda probably bandaid engineered the cars for the North American market to support 87 as a marketing gimmick and you probably should really be fueling it with a higher octane.

Still, I will ask about the TSB when I go in for my oil change in a few months.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Kraftwerk posted:

I think Mazda probably bandaid engineered the cars for the North American market to support 87 as a marketing gimmick and you probably should really be fueling it with a higher octane.

Anecdotal, but my girlfriend's V6 genesis coupe says it can use 87, but it pings like crazy under high load/revs if you do. On 93 it's not as bad but it still pings right near redline. I suspect she might get slightly better fuel mileage as well.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I get a full litre per 100km shaved off my fuel economy reading if I use the ethanol free 91 octane gas Shell sells in my area. I'm definitely noticing a smoother engine note. It was shaky and weird on 87.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Kraftwerk posted:

I understand the manual puts this car at 87 octane and that the manufacturer knows best. But at the same time I've been reading up about how this engine was built. It's a 13:1 compression ratio and the only reason regular is recommended is something to do with the exhaust headers being specially designed to allow it. When you look at the Euro models of the Skyactiv Mazdas almost all of them require a higher octane than 87 (I accounted for the difference between AKI and RON). I think Mazda probably bandaid engineered the cars for the North American market to support 87 as a marketing gimmick and you probably should really be fueling it with a higher octane.
The North American model has a lower compression ratio to allow for use of 87 octane fuel.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone have a good online source for OEM parts? My wife's 6 is leaking oil where the dipstick tube enters the pan, the tube is going to need to be replaced as it was damaged back in January when I did a longblock swap. There doesn't appear to be any aftermarket support (none of the usual local parts chains list one and I'm striking out on RockAuto) so I'm going to have to buy OEM.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revvik posted:

Hahaha

Yeah I'm way too attached to my car as it is, even after blowing up the transfer case. Almost 90k miles on the odometer.

I was getting these calls as well with increased frequency. Turned out one of the service guys really did want to buy my car.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I was getting these calls as well with increased frequency. Turned out one of the service guys really did want to buy my car.

Yeah I told the person "I'll think about it and then I'll call YOU" and a week later got two more calls.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

Anyone have a good online source for OEM parts? My wife's 6 is leaking oil where the dipstick tube enters the pan, the tube is going to need to be replaced as it was damaged back in January when I did a longblock swap. There doesn't appear to be any aftermarket support (none of the usual local parts chains list one and I'm striking out on RockAuto) so I'm going to have to buy OEM.

http://www.mazda-parts.com/

I've ordered through here before. It's in Albuquerque.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Anyone know if the NGK ILTR6A-8G is a drop in replacement for the stock plugs in the 2008.5 MS3, or do they require gapping?

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 16, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I put all new pads and rotors on the 6, right rear is clicking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihOrAbVRTXw&feature=youtu.be

Took it all apart, hit every part with brake cleaner, wiped it all down. Lubed everything properly, still clicking.

Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Kraftwerk posted:

I get a full litre per 100km shaved off my fuel economy reading if I use the ethanol free 91 octane gas Shell sells in my area. I'm definitely noticing a smoother engine note. It was shaky and weird on 87.

I was pretty disappointed in the fuel economy I was seeing in mine using 87. On the last tank I filled up on 91 octane and it idles much more smoothly and fuel economy is greatly improved too. Like improved to the point where the extra mileage probably pays for the increased gas cost.

Did they improve this in the 2015s or is there just no helping it with Skyactiv?