Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Kuvira going from "I need you now more than ever" :c00lbert: to "GIVE US THE ROOM" :catbert: and Bo Lin not picking up at all on her clear authoritarian tendencies cracked me up. At this point I just want Bo Lin to stay stupid until the very end, I've completely given up on him ever acquiring approaching a brain, let alone a strong will.

Sato posted:

It's nice having a female main villain.

It really is, isn't it? Especially a well-rounded one. She's just oozing that perfect combination of warm charisma and steely-eyed assertiveness that made fascism so attractive.

Another hilarious thing was how all the world leaders seemed to have no conception of sovereignty. Everyone suddenly got real pissed when the person who's reunited the Earth Kingdom and is aggressively looking out for its interests objects to putting yet another easy influenced weakling puppet king on the throne.

Tenzin: "Conflict! is coming to the Earth Kingdom! We need to find the Avatar!!!"

Gee I don't know sounds like the conflict already came and went and the only real conflict is that things didn't go exactly as you planned in your vision of world peace. Not that Kuvira is giving off good guy vibes by any stretch of the imagination with all the talk of Empire, but from what I can tell the Earth Kingdom's been more like a confederacy kind of but not really "run" by a uniquely self-centered/incompetent monarch and a notoriously awful Gestapo for the past century. It's easy to see why she might want a change in direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried. Most people were silent. I remembered the line from some crazy book: Vaatu is trying to persuade dark spirits that they should do their duty and, to impress them, takes on his multi-tentacled form and says, 'Now I am become Darkness, the destroyer of Light.'"

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
Im really starting to like the season, I kinda wish they'd just release all of it in one go so i could binge it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Kuvira going from "I need you now more than ever" :c00lbert: to "GIVE US THE ROOM" :catbert: and Bo Lin not picking up at all on her clear authoritarian tendencies cracked me up. At this point I just want Bo Lin to stay stupid until the very end, I've completely given up on him ever acquiring approaching a brain, let alone a strong will.

Actually, that shows that she's "handling" him. "Give us the room" is something authority figures are saying nowadays. generals say it to colonels, colonels say it to majors. All you can really get out of that is that Kuvira has settled into being the boss of the Earth Ki.. Empire and that she doesn't consider Bolin an equal.

Empresses, of course, say that to everyone.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013
^^^^^

Considering Bolin just reeled off what she said word-for-word when defending his choice to Mako she did a good job. Of course, this is Bolin we're talking about.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Another hilarious thing was how all the world leaders seemed to have no conception of sovereignty. Everyone suddenly got real pissed when the person who's reunited the Earth Kingdom and is aggressively looking out for its interests objects to putting yet another easy influenced weakling puppet king on the throne.

I like how Wu didn't even do anything when Kuvira made her speech at his coronation. He just accepted it as just another disappointment: he got no jewels but the "brooch," nobody really came, he didn't get his Earthbending dames, and somebody publicly challenged his rule and seized authority. Time to go shopping!

I also like how none of those world leaders did anything at the coronation. She gave her dramatic speech, her supporters cheered, the media was swarming all over the place, and their response was to send the world leader she likes least to talk to her in private in the hopes that she'd go "whoops, just joking folks!" I dunno what they could have done otherwise but it seemed off.

Sato fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 18, 2014

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sato posted:

I also like how none of those world leaders did anything at the coronation. She gave her dramatic speech, her supporters cheered, the media was swarming all over the place, and their response was to send the world leader she likes least to talk to her in private in the hopes that she'd go "whoops, just joking folks!" I dunno what they could have done otherwise but it seemed off.

Yeah, there's nothing they can really do about it. They can't politically interfere much since it's a domestic issue and Kuvira told them flat out that interference wouldn't be taken lightly and she can back that up since she controls everything in the country. So they'd basically need to actually invade to fully depose her. The Fire Nation really can't intervene so soon after the war, the Earth Empire has Republic City by the balls via metal trade, Desna and Eska likely don't give a poo poo and Tonraq might still owe Kuvira for saving him. She's kind of got the world in check at the moment.

Or they could assassinate her I guess. But she'd probably just be replaced and the Earth Kingdom would revert back to anarchy.

This is good writing.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
It's so great after watching all these fancy metalbending moves to watch Toph wreck poo poo with mud and rocks :allears:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Pastrymancy posted:

It's so great after watching all these fancy metalbending moves to watch Toph wreck poo poo with mud and rocks :allears:

I really want to see Toph just wreck everyone as much as I know it won't happen.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, there's nothing they can really do about it. They can't politically interfere much since it's a domestic issue and Kuvira told them flat out that interference wouldn't be taken lightly and she can back that up since she controls everything in the country. So they'd basically need to actually invade to fully depose her. The Fire Nation really can't intervene so soon after the war, the Earth Empire has Republic City by the balls via metal trade, Desna and Eska likely don't give a poo poo and Tonraq might still owe Kuvira for saving him. She's kind of got the world in check at the moment.

Or they could assassinate her I guess. But she'd probably just be replaced and the Earth Kingdom would revert back to anarchy.

This is good writing.

Would that really stop Tonraq though? I could see him being the sort of guy who puts great store by that sort of thing but on the other hand he hasn't been afraid to get involved in issues in the past: he had no real ties to the Air Nomads but still personally stepped in to help. I actually wonder what his relationship with Varrick is like currently considering he's the richest man in the SWT.

Really, though, the only one who can challenge Kuvira (other than Wu, who is seriously understaffed and outmaneuvered and doesn't have a strategic mind) is Suyin. I think she's going to struggle to justify her isolationist approach this season.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sato posted:

Really, though, the only one who can challenge Kuvira (other than Wu, who is seriously understaffed and outmaneuvered and doesn't have a strategic mind) is Suyin. I think she's going to struggle to justify her isolationist approach this season.

Well, she really can't. Kuvira said directly to her face that she's coming for her town.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well, she really can't. Kuvira said directly to her face that she's coming for her town.

Yeah, but she's stubborn and used to getting her way. I could see her not really believing (or wanting to believe) Kuvira and Bataan would actually go for Zaofu until they show up at her front door.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Man, I dunno why Suyin wouldn't take Kuvira's threat as a threat when Kuvira's basically is saying "I'm a dictator, DEAL WITH IT." No subtly, none of that coy bullshit. You'd have to be pretty dumb to leave after that conversation not thinking you better go shore up your metal-town's defenses. Even considering Suyin's stubbornness or whatever, it's just bad leadership to not take a threat from someone like Kuvira as a very real threat!

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Sato posted:

I thought the same thing. It seemed especially weird that Tenzin (who always seems to butt in whether it's his business or not), or Raiko (who Kuvira apparently personally promised to step down) just sat there and did nothing. But by the time Kuvira finished her little speech most of the crowd was cheering, so perhaps they were just too savy to go against public opinion in the moment.

Hopefully Bolin will come around during the wreaking of Zaofu. Nothing like destroying your sorta-girlfriend's hometown to realize your boss is a power-hungy bitch.

Also, since Korra keeps having the same vision of dying/Zaheer when she is in trauma, I predict she will end up visiting him in whatever super-max prison the White Lotus has come up with for him. Hopefully he will laugh at her having to put Kuvira down and will say "now was my way really so bad?"

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

thexerox123 posted:

Based on the pre-season trailer, the vines may just be used to power the mechs. In that one shot of Varrick, it looks like they're using the vines as a power source for what are probably mech batteries:

Going back just a little bit, if this is the case we'll find out soon. What's a better place to field test new and improved super-mechs, presumably still made of unbendable platinum, than the home of metalbenders Zhaofu?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

I thought the same thing. It seemed especially weird that Tenzin (who always seems to butt in whether it's his business or not), or Raiko (who Kuvira apparently personally promised to step down) just sat there and did nothing. But by the time Kuvira finished her little speech most of the crowd was cheering, so perhaps they were just too savy to go against public opinion in the moment.

The little "Oh, poo poo" glance that they gave each other as Kuvira started into her coup was great, though.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

nutranurse posted:

Man, I dunno why Suyin wouldn't take Kuvira's threat as a threat when Kuvira's basically is saying "I'm a dictator, DEAL WITH IT." No subtly, none of that coy bullshit. You'd have to be pretty dumb to leave after that conversation not thinking you better go shore up your metal-town's defenses. Even considering Suyin's stubbornness or whatever, it's just bad leadership to not take a threat from someone like Kuvira as a very real threat!

I don't disagree with you about bad leadership, but Suyin did spend a significant portion of last season bragging about how she'd created the most secure city in the world. She was incredibly shaken when the Red Lotus broke in so she probably shored up her defenses afterward and considers that enough. She's always been complacent and single-minded: it's been her defining character trait.

Besides, she watched Kuvira grow up and mentored her, both in her career and personal life. Kuvira's second-in-command is her son. Suyin's always been trusting: she gave that convict a second chance as her chef and her trust in Aiwei meant he got away. I think she'll come around eventually but I think it could be a struggle.

Of course, watch me be wrong once next week's episode rolls around. :haw:

King of Foolians posted:

I'm not so surprised about Raiko. He refused to get involved in major conflicts throughout Book 2, even when it was explained that the world was threatened with 10,000 years of darkness. I can't see him making more than a token effort to placate Kuvira unless she directly attacks the United Republic's borders (which has a strong likelihood of happening given the map on the train included the United Republic as an area to be conquered).

Tenzin has already gotten involved by sending his kids after Korra. His airbenders are on the ground in the Earth Empire already so they're probably already dealing with the consequences of Kuvira's speech. Tonraq could get involved as well given that Kuvira is being bankrolled by a SWT citizen, though as others have mentioned he may be reluctant to do so since Kuvira saved his life.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Well, you're in luck!

:ssh: That was a Victoria 2 reference

Looks like the United Republic contains a significant percentage of the Earth Kingdom's fertile real estate, no wonder the Earth Queen was pissed.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
If Zaofu does get invaded, I wonder about the possibility of Tenzin, Zuko, and Tonraq sending in troops to help fortify its defenses.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nephthys posted:

This is good writing.
They could have imprisoned her couldn't they? No way she brought enough soldiers into R. City to stop them.

Of course that would mean war with the Earth Empire as her supporters invade the United Republic to free her, but there's going to be war anyways.

Of course, they probably hope she'll just stay in the EK boundaries, but we know better.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

They could have imprisoned her couldn't they? No way she brought enough soldiers into R. City to stop them.

I think that could have backfired easily. The crowd at the coronation was mostly Kuvira supporters and security appeared pretty lax considering how all the world leaders were there. Kuvira's probably worth an army on her own as well considering how quickly she subdued all those bandits.If Kuvira and co managed to fight them off in front of the media it would have been a disaster.

Kuvira appears pretty popular too. Those Kuvira shirts were selling pretty briskly (or were they being given away?) in Little Ba Sing Se.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sato posted:

I think that could have backfired easily. The crowd at the coronation was mostly Kuvira supporters and security appeared pretty lax considering how all the world leaders were there. Kuvira's probably worth an army on her own as well considering how quickly she subdued all those bandits.If Kuvira and co managed to fight them off in front of the media it would have been a disaster.

Kuvira appears pretty popular too. Those Kuvira shirts were selling pretty briskly (or were they being given away?) in Little Ba Sing Se.

Kuvira's good, but those bandits were utter crap. They managed to get off one attack, a guy lifted a boulder up and another one threw threw it. I presume she's training her conscripts so they'll actually be somewhat effective.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just want to see Zuko's Fire Lord daughter kick some rear end, both diplomatically and bendingwise.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Sato posted:

Plus we've been seeing Kuvira blackshirts everywhere, too.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Openly attacking a world leader at an event like that would be a really stupid move. Kuvira commands an experienced, mobilized, and fanatically loyal army that spans the largest continent in the world. Not only that, Republic City is practically in the Earth Kingdom, so they're right next door. Imprisoning her would not undo her words, but instead galvanize her forces against outside influence. They'd basically plunge themselves into open war without apt preparation and fortification, risking their own imprisonment and such if things went sour for them. That's not how politics really work.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When you're looking at a lady with an army who say's 'I'm in charge now,' if you're going to disagree with her you're going to need an army too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Next episode preview clip.

They grow up so fast. :911:

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I want to see the return of Melon Lord.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Bolin's "riding around in our cool train bringing FREEDOM :911:" line cracked me right the hell up. Good episode.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So we have steampunk mechs and airships, elemental superpowers, weird animals, adorable talking magic creatures, and we're about to have spirits as a power source?

This show is basically a vastly superior version of Final Fantasy in all but name at this point.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Spergatory posted:

So we have steampunk mechs and airships, elemental superpowers, weird animals, adorable talking magic creatures, and we're about to have spirits as a power source?

This show is basically a vastly superior version of Final Fantasy in all but name at this point.
They are going to build a high tech structure over Ba Sing Se, making the lower level a slum and then label team avatar as eco-terrorist.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

computer parts posted:

It sounds like his dad died.

I don't think his father's dead but that he'd rather not be called Junior anymore as a means of respect. One of my friends is a Jr. and hates being called that by anyone, especially his parents.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

They've really started putting those up early, haven't they? Last week's was up on Saturday morning as well. Wonder what the rationale is--I would have thought they'd want to put it up mid-week when Korra discussion is at a low to get people interested again.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Sato posted:

They've really started putting those up early, haven't they? Last week's was up on Saturday morning as well. Wonder what the rationale is--I would have thought they'd want to put it up mid-week when Korra discussion is at a low to get people interested again.

Most shows usually have a preview of the next week's episode right after the show airs. It is not that unusual.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Vanderdeath posted:

I don't think his father's dead but that he'd rather not be called Junior anymore as a means of respect. One of my friends is a Jr. and hates being called that by anyone, especially his parents.

"The Third" sounds kinda cool.

Most people with "Jr" or "The Third" go by a nickname though.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm guessing the spirit nukes are going to be some sort of plot device later on. or maybe it'll just be there for political commentary. You can't just have nuclear spirit bombs and not use it. Imagine if it causes a dimensional rift or threaten the balance of the world again.

Also, I might know what may be keeping Baatar II and Kuvira together.

I'm just saying, Kuvira is special.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Oh my god, someone please do a mashup of Kuvira's "coronation" speech with the Britannia anthem. :britain:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

uncleKitchener posted:

I'm guessing the spirit nukes are going to be some sort of plot device later on. or maybe it'll just be there for political commentary. You can't just have nuclear spirit bombs and not use it. Imagine if it causes a dimensional rift or threaten the balance of the world again.

This got brought up before but I'm almost certain it won't be that, but instead they'll be (spoiled for teaser info)batteries for the mecha we saw in the teasers, making them spirit-powered on top of made of platinum. I suspect we'll see soon, possibly as soon as next episode, because Zhaofu would be a good place to do a field test.

Edit: Did we ever see any limits to Toph's metalbending, by the way? I wonder if after all these years she could bend the platinum mechs. She can sense tiny bits of metal in Korra, and can apparently use her earth sense to see massive distances, she might be able to find the very tiny bits of earth still in the platinum to bend it. Could be she saves her daughter's rear end, or could be Korra picks up the trick after she cures herself.

RyuujinBlueZ fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 18, 2014

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Never change Aang :allears:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

As a firebender, Mako should be able to suck the heat from the lava. Whether he's able to do that is another matter.
If he can do that, I think it would just put him in the same position as Bolin's at the end of his last fight against Ghazan : sure, he was now safe from the lava, but by the time it took him to cool down the lava, his opponent had managed to move behind him.

BrianWilly posted:

I was scared for a second that the show was gonna go real GoT for teens when they revealed that Desna and Eska shared a room.
Let's be honest here : they probably share the bed, they've probably shared one since they were children. The bathtub thing was just to deflect rumors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
By the way, is it just me, or does Kuvira look like Michael Jackson circa Black & White?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 18, 2014

• Locked thread