Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

bobkatt013 posted:

Also holy poo poo the real hero is Darkseid.

A live action Darkseid could be amazing, but might be rough to pull off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Some Numbers posted:

A live action Darkseid could be amazing, but might be rough to pull off.

They tried it in Smallville and it was poo poo. He was a smoke monster Galactus style

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crunk Abortion posted:

Peter Stormare is alright, but Seth Gabel approved our high. I can't believe this is even up for discussion.

This! Lincoln Lee was a great vertigo, but I live Fringe so I'm biased.

Seriously though I don't understand people who hate Iris but like Felicity. She is the worst female character from either show bar none.

And I think it's worth pointing out that Iris didn't make Barry help her with her work, he offered and couldn't commit. And who really cares if she only had a copy of her dissertation who really expects their computer to poo poo out on them the one time they need it? Them again I'm a film student and I've seen this happen to multiple students so I don't get why this is such a big character flaw. Human beings are bad planners who don't make great decisions.. Shocking.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 18, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

They tried it in Smallville and it was poo poo. He was a smoke monster Galactus style

This doesn't surprise me. A Darkseid that's not humanoid would be pretty awful.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

As long as we get Pied Piper destroying poo poo with The Show must go on.

Countdown to Final Crisis was trash, but it was all worth it for that part.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Some Numbers posted:

Let's face it, Darkseid can be anyone who has a particular set of skills.

Well...one skill really.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Unfortunately, they killed the good Count Vertigo.

You're loving kidding right?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

bobkatt013 posted:

They tried it in Smallville and it was poo poo.

I recently tried to rewatch Smallville by just having it on as background noise and couldn't get through it. The only two redeeming things from that show are Lionel and Lex. Arrow and The Flash feel like some sort of miracle after putting up with the sheer bullshit that is Smallville.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Vanderdeath posted:

I recently tried to rewatch Smallville by just having it on as background noise and couldn't get through it. The only two redeeming things from that show are Lionel and Lex. Arrow and The Flash feel like some sort of miracle after putting up with the sheer bullshit that is Smallville.

To be fair, seasons 4-6 of smallville were poo poo. 1-3 & 7 were mediocre and 8-10 were actually pretty decent, 9&10 might almost be called good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

The worst part was they HAD Michael Ironside in the show! He played Lois's dad in multiple episodes. Just have Darkseid possess him! But noooo...

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

To be fair, seasons 4-6 of smallville were poo poo. 1-3 & 7 were mediocre and 8-10 were actually pretty decent, 9&10 might almost be called good.

Seasons 8-10 really aren't that different from what we get on Arrow and Flash. Those shows are refined versions of those last two seasons of Smallville. They share directors, production crews and probably a couple of writers. CW doesn't put on an Arrow show without having had Smallville with consistent ratings for 10 (!!!) years.

As for Iris, I really like the actress and what's great about the character so far is that she's the only normal person in the show, not a superhero, scientist or a cop. I do hope they pull what was the big relationship bit of Iris & Barry to me: her knowing his secret ID WAY before he told her.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Is any part of the Justice League portion of Smallville worth watching and can it be watched in isolation?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Some Numbers posted:

Is any part of the Justice League portion of Smallville worth watching and can it be watched in isolation?

As I said I think the later seasons of smallville are pretty decent, good even. There are earlier episodes that introduce later characters though. The series started getting better when the focus of the action was moved to metropolis - where you want to start is up to you. The latest point is the beginning of season 8, seven would be more reasonable. Season 6 isn't as good as 7 but it's the point where the show began its upswing, and it's the season where green arrow was introduced, and green arrow was arguably the best character in smallville. I'd start at the beginning of season 6, and maybe use wikipedia or one of the smallville wikis to read plot summaries of earlier seasons.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
There's a two-parter with the Justice Society in the 9th season.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yannick_B posted:

For some reason Cyborg is in it, right?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Don't watch Smallville.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

For some reason Cyborg is in it, right?
Cyborg's introduced very early on in the series, though.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Yannick_B posted:

Watch this. It's awesome.

Don't watch anything else except the flash episode. That kids a cool flash

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Don't watch Smallville. Unless it's this video, then definitely watch Smallvile.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Yannick_B posted:

Seasons 8-10 really aren't that different from what we get on Arrow and Flash. Those shows are refined versions of those last two seasons of Smallville. They share directors, production crews and probably a couple of writers. CW doesn't put on an Arrow show without having had Smallville with consistent ratings for 10 (!!!) years.

Flash seems very familiar in tone to the later seasons of Smallville. Arrow (to me, at least) feels like it's own weird thing. I've been enjoying Flash, but can't get into Arrow at all.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
About a decade ago, I watched a handful of Smallville episodes from the early seasons, handpicked by a fan for the Luthors doing awesome things. Rosenbaum and Glover were great, but everything else about the show was terrible. Rosenbaum's Lex was actually much more likeable than Welling's Clark and felt more like the protagonist, I thought.

I didn't watch it again until one of the last episodes of the entire series, when they introduced Booster Gold, Jaime Reyes as Blue Beetle, and Ted Kord as a somewhat-shady businessman. Geoff Johns wrote it, of course.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

None of the producers of Arrow worked on Smallville.

A few writers did but almost all of them worked on the early, terrible seasons and not the later (still pretty terrible) ones.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Zaggitz posted:

Don't watch Smallville.
This was my mistake and the reason I didn't watch Arrow and almost didn't watch Flash. But, holy poo poo, I'm glad I did. Decided to finally check out Arrow too and realized I've been missing out on a pretty good show.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Where does the flash usually put the bad guys in the comics? Like, is there a meta jail or something?

It's just that they can't really lock up any of these guys in the conventional way in the show at the minute, so they have to keep killing them off.

There's that suicide squad jail i suppose but none of those guys really had the level of powers that the two flash enemies have had so i don't think that would have held them either.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I know there's a super villain prison called Belle Reve. I saw it in an episode of Young Justice. Apparently it's associated with the Suicide Squad.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Flash's villains end up in Iron Heights Penitentiary, although I believe that has already been referenced on Arrow and shown as being in Starling City, rather than the Flash's twin cities of Central and Keystone.

Belle Reve, where the Suicide Squad is based in the comics, is deep in the Louisiana bayou, and Blackgate is in Gotham City.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, but I think Blackgate and Iron Heights are just regular prisons. For, like, non-superpowered villains like Penguin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kin posted:

Where does the flash usually put the bad guys in the comics? Like, is there a meta jail or something?

It's just that they can't really lock up any of these guys in the conventional way in the show at the minute, so they have to keep killing them off.

There's that suicide squad jail i suppose but none of those guys really had the level of powers that the two flash enemies have had so i don't think that would have held them either.

Flash's villains are usually guys with gadgets/tech instead of actually having intrinsic powers, so they just get their stuff taken away.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Shrimpy posted:

Flash seems very familiar in tone to the later seasons of Smallville. Arrow (to me, at least) feels like it's own weird thing. I've been enjoying Flash, but can't get into Arrow at all.

To me, they're very similar--the differences come from their leads and how the show reacts around it--Flash is more during the daytime, quippier and colorful.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

About a decade ago, I watched a handful of Smallville episodes from the early seasons, handpicked by a fan for the Luthors doing awesome things. Rosenbaum and Glover were great, but everything else about the show was terrible. Rosenbaum's Lex was actually much more likeable than Welling's Clark and felt more like the protagonist, I thought.

The Luthors were always the Smallville MVPs. In the early seasons, Lex was the 2nd castmember--he drove the show! He eventually got "demoted" and I always wondered if there was behind the scenes shenanigans about that. It's just runs contrary to good show-running to not give that guy more. There was a fanbase that went NUTS for Tom Welling but he never seemed into the show or his character. You see Stephen Amell in an interview and he CRACKLES with enthusiasm about his show and his character.

Aphrodite posted:

None of the producers of Arrow worked on Smallville.

Executive Producer David Nutter! (Who did the pilots for all 3 shows), he's the Vancouver genre-pilot man!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He only directed the pilot of Smallville though, he didn't do anything else for it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How hot was Allison Mack, right guys? Wowowowowie.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lelandjs posted:

Also if anyone in this thread is enjoying The Flash and hasn't watched the Justice League cartoon, stop what you are doing and bring it up on Netflix. It's one of my top five favorite TV shows of all time and was (until Arrow and The Flash) the undisputed champion of DC media adaptations.

Ya know, after watching Justice League, I came to the conclusion that the Flash is a great character but the villains he faces are pretty dumb. Like, Captain Cold is the lamest of all the cold-themed villains (though it's good there are breadcrumbs for another). An intelligent gorilla? And then there's Captain Boomerang. Two captains! What the hell.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Rogues have the stupidest names, but all in all are great villains.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ya know, after watching Justice League, I came to the conclusion that the Flash is a great character but the villains he faces are pretty dumb. Like, Captain Cold is the lamest of all the cold-themed villains (though it's good there are breadcrumbs for another). An intelligent gorilla? And then there's Captain Boomerang. Two captains! What the hell.

Cisco doesn't have a lot of imagination, OK?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Cisco doesn't have a lot of imagination, OK?

Having him name the villains is a great idea, because then all the dumb ones make sense.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Flash's villains are usually guys with gadgets/tech instead of actually having intrinsic powers, so they just get their stuff taken away.

Isn't that going to be a problem in the show if all his enemies are now powered through Meta?

Basically, without anywhere to lock these guys up, they'll all have to be killed off as they appear.

edit: Or get away to come back in a later episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Which, of course, raises the issue of 'how do you get away from the Fastest Man Alive?'

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gaz-L posted:

Which, of course, raises the issue of 'how do you get away from the Fastest Man Alive?'

"If you can't outrun a man, you trick him into running somewhere else."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

By limiting him to 700MPH and giving him limits like low glucose levels i suppose.

During the multiplex megafight you saw him knocking guys out of his way, but he wasn't really flicking them through the air Matrix reloaded style. So, while he might have been holding back to not turn them into mush, it could also be that while he's fast due to mcguffin, he doesn't have the super force/strength that would follow that (again due to mcguffin) meaning he cant just walk up to some super strong dude and punch him a few thousand times.

To be honest, it would be quite good for a series of episodes that pretty much spell out his powers and limitations so that it gets rid of any "well he could just whip up a tornado" issues.

• Locked thread