Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Croccers posted:

I have an interesting prisoner. Extremely Tough, Deadly, Snitch and I think Ex Cop.
They'd start fights with him since he's a Snitch and he'd just one-hit kill them back :geno: I had to put him in Protective to protect the other prisoners.

So someone finally booked Frank Castle? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
1. If I click something to be dismantled or dumped, how do I cancel it?

2. For some reason I can't see large chunks of my prison. It has like a fog of war over it as if the lights are turned off. I checked the utilities grid and the power distribution is right for the lights. Right now I can't see my entire holding cell or any of my prisoners in it.

3. How do I prevent prisoners from running out of the holding cell when a guard opens the door to bring another prisoner in?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

1: If you find out, let me know.

2: It's fog of war. Either place guards there or build CCTV cameras. Or turn Fog of War/visibility/whatever they call it off when you start a new map/by editing your savefile.

3: Staff only zoning is the only way to guarantee it. Otherwise just build some buffer space/ignore it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So I started letting "Max" prisoners in and made a special regime and cell block for them.

They are loving impossible to deal with. There are two legendary ones in the max solitary that I cannot get out of there because as soon as they get off they fight the guard(s) letting them out and they get put right back in. I want to find a way to silently murder them.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

wilderthanmild posted:

I want to find a way to silently murder them.

Starvation deaths are not counted as "incident" deaths. Stick them in Solitary for a few hundred hours, and keep the door locked shut so that doctors in the area treating actually injured inmates don't heal through the starvation DoT.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Megasabin posted:

I think you should be able to cancel any Job by opening the menu and going to the Jobs tab.

Just pause the game, open the Jobs tab and find the job that you want to cancel and it should have an option to cancel it. I think you click on it or right-click on it to cancel. It should say on the menu or when you hover over it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is there a development roadmap anywhere? I'm curious what else they plan on adding before they release 1.0.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

DropsySufferer posted:

I will pretend that mod does not exist...

I would like it if the game didn't let players get away with excessive abuses and it makes the game too easy.The US is bad but even they get toilets, showers and bunks. A prison inspector would be the idea.

Can this be a side game?

"Hi I'm from osha, Oh wow you have metal detectors near your shower, this isn't under compliance, I'm gonna have to fine you, oh you don't have a power shutoff switch to the laundry, I'm gonna have to fine you, Oh wow you don't have a mantrap at the entryway to your prison, I'm go-

I wonder how quick it would be before someone tries to find a bug to wall them in a room to make them a supermax prisoner

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Megasabin posted:

3. How do I prevent prisoners from running out of the holding cell when a guard opens the door to bring another prisoner in?

It's a good idea to build a fence around your entire plot of land to prevent stuff like this. If a prisoner's only obstacle to the free world is a single jail door, they will try to escape every chance they get.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

It's a good idea to build a fence around your entire plot of land to prevent stuff like this. If a prisoner's only obstacle to the free world is a single jail door, they will try to escape every chance they get.

Ultimate dickhead prison: path to freedom is long, winding corridor of fences and gravel, stacked on one side entirely by armed guards ready to shoot to kill.

Are you a bad enough dude to make The Run?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
So I just bought this game. I'm a little off-balance as far as my first design though. The CEO's letter simply says to make sure you have some spots for the prisoners coming in, plus a canteen and kitchen. Oh and a warden so he needs an office.

That's not terribly descriptive, and I find myself unsure of what to do in the early going. What would make sense to me is some sort of lobby up front, with offices and staff facilities near the main entrance, and then an inmate processing room where new inmates have their dignity taken away. Then a wing for gen-pop behind that, with prisoner services further back from lockup.

The issue is that is that the game is really unclear on exactly how prisoners will go about their daily business, and therefore it's super hard to decide what workflow makes sense for managing them. What is the traditional way for managing prisoner traffic? I obviously don't want them coming any closer to the street than their cell until their release.

Also, is there any reason for anyone to be accessing the electrical and water substations after they're created?

Really I'm sort of hoping for a generalized quickstart guide, but there doesn't appear to be a good one available.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just make a lovely prison, follow the grants, learn from it, sell it, and use the money to create a better one with the knowledge you've gained.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Coolguye posted:

Also, is there any reason for anyone to be accessing the electrical and water substations after they're created?

The electrical station, yes. You will want to add more capacitors to it later.

Also, do watch the update videos from the developers.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Coolguye posted:

So I just bought this game. I'm a little off-balance as far as my first design though. The CEO's letter simply says to make sure you have some spots for the prisoners coming in, plus a canteen and kitchen. Oh and a warden so he needs an office.

That's not terribly descriptive, and I find myself unsure of what to do in the early going. What would make sense to me is some sort of lobby up front, with offices and staff facilities near the main entrance, and then an inmate processing room where new inmates have their dignity taken away. Then a wing for gen-pop behind that, with prisoner services further back from lockup.
Unless you turn off incoming prisoners for the first day or two while building, you'll be very pressed for time and money for your early inmates. You definitely need a holding cell with showers and toilets, a canteen, a kitchen, an office for your warden and an accountant, and preferably a yard.

That's probably going to stretch your resources as far as they can go on the first day, so unless you're plotting things out well in advance, the rest of the prison can wait.

...except a perimeter fence. Make sure you have one of those unless you want constant escape attempts.

quote:

The issue is that is that the game is really unclear on exactly how prisoners will go about their daily business, and therefore it's super hard to decide what workflow makes sense for managing them.
That depends on your regime, which you define in the workbook in the lower right. The important factor is prisoners' needs, which you can also see in the Needs tab. Tinker with the regime until you find one that generally keeps prisoners happiest.

Prisoners have to sleep at night, and they will be hungry, stinky, and poopy first thing in the morning, so you will want some combination of Eating/Free Time/Shower to take care of those needs. After that, maybe you build workshops, cleaning closets, and laundries for them to work at, which needs Work time, or maybe you give them Free Time/Yard to satisfy their entertainment, family contact, and exercise. It's up to you to decide whether two or three meals make sense, or if they need more free time, or whatever keeps their needs met.

quote:

What is the traditional way for managing prisoner traffic? I obviously don't want them coming any closer to the street than their cell until their release.
Prisoners will try to escape if there's nothing between them and freedom, and they'll sometimes try to escape if there's just one open door to the outside world. At least two doors -- or road gates -- will keep most prisoners inside.

Use the Deployment button on the bottom of the screen to set areas as "Staff Only" if prisoners shouldn't be there. It won't always stop them from running, but it'll (usually) prevent guards from opening doors for them.

Also, the more expensive the door, the stronger it is, so if you really need to keep prisoners away fro an area, consider a jail door or even a solitary door instead of just a regular/staff door.

And keep in mind that prisoners will try to tunnel out of your prison, so if there are any large water pipes leading to the outer walls, prisoners can and will use them to speed up their escape.

quote:

I think tripping the circuit breakers repeatedly is supposed to wear out capacitors, but I've never seen any wear and tear damage to power plants or water pumps.

quote:

Really I'm sort of hoping for a generalized quickstart guide, but there doesn't appear to be a good one available.
The best tutorial in game is to follow the flow of Grants in the workbook, which will walk you through a lot of the basic buildings and give you some cash for them as well. It's not a great tutorial, so I'd recommend checking YouTube for simple prison starts to get a feel for how other people get up and running.

The official alpha videos are also a surprisingly good source for understanding all the new game features and seeing a few sample prison layouts as they demonstrate.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Reminder that capacitors should be directly next to the electric substation. :(

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Megasabin posted:

While you're in the objects selection tab, right click and drag over the object you want to cancel dismantling. Also works with materials, foundations, etc.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Coolguye posted:

The issue is that is that the game is really unclear on exactly how prisoners will go about their daily business, and therefore it's super hard to decide what workflow makes sense for managing them. What is the traditional way for managing prisoner traffic? I obviously don't want them coming any closer to the street than their cell until their release.

It's an early-access game that isn't scope-complete yet. Tutorials and smarter start scenarios will probably be saved until it gets closer to 1.0. As it is, there's no reason to write content for a game that will need to be rewritten.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Met posted:

It's an early-access game that isn't scope-complete yet. Tutorials and smarter start scenarios will probably be saved until it gets closer to 1.0. As it is, there's no reason to write content for a game that will need to be rewritten.

I understand that. That doesn't mean I can't use a forum post like yo:

or that I couldn't benefit from a wiki post in the vein of this one for a much spergier game.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

Reminder that capacitors should be directly next to the electric substation. :(

Capacitor's placed in the corners work, as well. I always forget about that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I finally figured out how to get CIs they're super useful and if you don't search the cells with the CI active it doesn't raise suspicion.

Do you guys think they'll add gangs? I was thinking about it last night and they'd have to give us the ability to assign prisoners to cells before gangs could be put in, I think.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I never actually play the game any more. I just try to make evenly spaced cells and rooms. :autism:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'm waiting until 1.0 before I dive back into it. The alpha videos keep me excited though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Do you guys think they'll add gangs? I was thinking about it last night and they'd have to give us the ability to assign prisoners to cells before gangs could be put in, I think.

I'm fairly sure gangs are on the agenda. You can already assign prisoners to cells, it's in the tutorial - it's quite micromanagey though, so they might be looking for a more effective way to separate your inmates.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BitBasher posted:

So someone finally booked Frank Castle? :v:

Ricky-Oh: The Story of Ricky (probably the greatest prison film ever made)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jYeXur7PvQ&t=868s :nws: for hilarious over-the-top violence

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

I had a little riot. The punishment for attacking staff is eighteen hours in Solitary, with six hours in lockdown for destruction.

I, uh, never really thought that I'd need to fill out the Solitary area. Also, that whole "doctors will find nearby injured people and heal them" has a tiny, tiny radius, so the benefit of a fuckhuge Solitary block next to the infirmary sometimes can be a bit muted.

Oddly enough, half of those punishments didn't even get applied until I loaded the save. Running the "bugbash-2b" version, I figure that it's a bugfix for the "if you get tazered while doing something wrong you will never be punished" thing.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

McGlockenshire posted:

Oddly enough, half of those punishments didn't even get applied until I loaded the save. Running the "bugbash-2b" version, I figure that it's a bugfix for the "if you get tazered while doing something wrong you will never be punished" thing.
On a related note, I was going bonkers trying to figure out why my new prison refused to let me build door controls until I noticed the "bugbash-2j" version in the save file. :downs:

Turns out you need to leave the Bug Bash beta group to get the more recent regular versions.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
1. Whats the deal with small water pipes vs large water pipes? Unlike electricity which is distributed in an area around the wires, water seems to have to be connected directly to each source that requires it, so why would I ever build large water pipes when I can build small ones for 2 bucks?

2. Can only guards get through prison doors? Cooks and constructions workers just seem to stand there? This creates huge workflow issues. How do you guys work around this?

3. When you build doors into walls, do they automatically make a hole in the wall for people to walk through when they are open? This seems very inconsistent. Sometimes I build doors into walls, and it works fine, and other times I end up with doors that slide open to reveal more wall, causing me to have to deconstrcut the door, destroy that piece of wall, then reinstall the door.

4. Are there roofs in this game? How can I tell if something is indoors or outdoors? I designated a random room as a "yard", and it worked just fine even though it was indoors.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

1. Small pipes only have a limited range
2. Yes. Station guards near he doors, use staff doors or remote controlled doors, or just lock the doors open.
3. If you place the doors before the walls, that can happen. Draw the walls first and then place the doors and it should work.
4. Uh, no idea. If you made a foundation, its indoors, otherwise it's outdoors, even if enclosed by walls, I guess?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Small water pipes lose pressure after a length, while large pipes can carry water any length. The large pipes are also easy for prisoners to tunnel along, so be careful how you lay them out as they can make for escape routes.

Yes, only guards have the Jail Keys, which can open the jail doors. Other staff only has Staff Keys, which can open the green staff doors.
Currently, prisoners obey the deployment classification of rooms, so if you mark an area as Staff Only then prisoners won't try to enter there unless they're rioting. Often you're better off only building jail doors where they might actually become important, i.e. on the main paths for escaping outside, and into the armory and security rooms. Use staff doors for other places prisoners shouldn't usually access freely, and regular doors for places where you just need a door for some reason, but passage is otherwise free.
Recently they also introduced remote-controlled doors, you can get guards to man a remote control station and open/close jail doors that way too.
Consider marking some doors as always-open when things are operating smoothly.

If you build a door on top of an already-constructed wall it should demolish the wall automatically. On the other hand if you designate wall and door for building at the same time, the door designation won't cancel the wall designation, and if the doors happens to be built before the wall, the wall will be on top of the door. Don't designate walls where you plan to have doors.

Yes there are indoor and outdoor areas. You make indoor areas with the Foundation tools. There isn't a terribly good way to check at a glance whether something is indoors or not, except how visibility and lighting acts, or whether you're allowed to build particular indoor-only/outdoor-only flooring there.
The Yard type room can be either indoor or outdoor, but most rooms can only be one or the other. Cells have to be indoor, and the forestry has to be outdoor, for example.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Do prisoners only need to eat once a day?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Do prisoners only need to eat once a day?

Their state of nutrition is a little more complex, you can probably get by with just one meal a day, but it will, I think, depend on food quality and quantity. Feeding your prisoners well will give them a well fed modifier which I think improves their mood and possibly their engagement with reform programs.

Two meals a day is generally not quite enough to have them well fed, but three should be, one will probably keep them from starving but won't help their mood any.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
On a related subject, I observed something today about multiple kitchens.

I built a new wing, and built out the kitchen overnight. It was completed well before cooking needed to start for the day, but the cooks that wandered in did nothing but sit there while all the other kitchens were productive.

What seemed to be happening is that the cooks in the other kitchens were consuming the supplies stored in their fridges before more food was ordered for delivery. Eventually, the supplies ran out and deliveries resumed.

I used to recommend 1-2 fridges per stove, but honestly now I'm considering maybe one for every other stove, until you're done building out.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

OwlFancier posted:

Their state of nutrition is a little more complex, you can probably get by with just one meal a day, but it will, I think, depend on food quality and quantity. Feeding your prisoners well will give them a well fed modifier which I think improves their mood and possibly their engagement with reform programs.

Two meals a day is generally not quite enough to have them well fed, but three should be, one will probably keep them from starving but won't help their mood any.

I ask because I have them set up with two meals a day currently, and they go to eat the second time and 90% of my prisoners just sit at a table and don't bother grabbing food. I have my food set to the highest quality/variety though, so maybe that's why?

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

I ask because I have them set up with two meals a day currently, and they go to eat the second time and 90% of my prisoners just sit at a table and don't bother grabbing food. I have my food set to the highest quality/variety though, so maybe that's why?

Try spacing them out longer? I usually do two meals a day at medium/medium for quantity and quality and get most of my prisoners not eating the second meal too, but hungry prisoners get pretty rowdy so I've never tried one meal a day.

Of course, the best way to find out is by experimenting. With a well-established prison, a riot isn't a danger, it's entertainment :cop:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Noon and evening, as the default regime has, are definitely too close for meal times. Have one in the morning and one in the evening.

Try a regime with 2 hour yard time from 7 am, with your yard featuring showers and toilets too, then at 9 am a 2 hour meal. That should get the worst needs taken care of every morning, so you can send everyone on an 8 hour workday before the next meal!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I usually have breakfast first thing in the morning and dinner last thing on an evening.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you do two meals then do breakfast and lunch. Being well fed in the middle of the day is better.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

McGlockenshire posted:

On a related subject, I observed something today about multiple kitchens.

I built a new wing, and built out the kitchen overnight. It was completed well before cooking needed to start for the day, but the cooks that wandered in did nothing but sit there while all the other kitchens were productive.

What seemed to be happening is that the cooks in the other kitchens were consuming the supplies stored in their fridges before more food was ordered for delivery. Eventually, the supplies ran out and deliveries resumed.

I used to recommend 1-2 fridges per stove, but honestly now I'm considering maybe one for every other stove, until you're done building out.

I've noticed the same problem with serving tables. If you make too many serving tables relative to the amount of food and trays, then you sometimes end up with all the food being put on tables with no trays, and all the trays being put on tables with no food. Basically, the cooks don't intelligently spread out the resources so you've gotta kinda deliberately bottleneck it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

So I confirmed something that has been in the back of my head for a few days.

Prisoners, during lockup, will use a shower in their cells, same way they will use the toilet. This is kind of nice as it makes the shower room basically obsolete as long as you have at least an hour or two of lockup per day.

The tradeoff is that this is a far more expensive cell, since you essentially need as many shower heads as you have prisoners, and enough drains around so it won't damage the bed. The drains here are certainly suboptimal; I didn't try simply putting a drain directly under the shower (which might work), but even if that doesn't, you can get it down to 2.5 drains per cell fairly easily. This was more just brute force to see if the concept was good.

Anyway, I feel the upsides could be worth it. Lockup is substantially safer than Shower time, because generally nobody gets shanked during Lockup, and having a fully satisfied Hygiene need to start the day off tends to make prisoners a lot more chill as they head to the Canteen for breakfast.

Now, it would be nice if there were a way to make a morning Lockup hour force-awaken all the prisoners, so they poo poo and shower consistently. I've noticed that if I have an hour or two of lockup prior to breakfast, half of the population just sleeps through the lockup portion.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
1. How can I force a guard to stand near a metal detector and "use" it? Just station them in the area with the detector?

2. Can someone explain the relationship between foundation and walls to me? Whenever I try to lay new foundation to expand a building, it ends up ripping down every pre-established wall around it. It's really annoying.

3. Is there a way to specify a delivery area for prisoner's separate than the one for goods? I see you can make multiple delivery areas, but I'm not sure if you can do something that specific.

• Locked thread