Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I think I'm going to get CoD digitally. Can someone please explain how I can do the trick where my son can play it on his PS4 online at the same time as me by purchasing it one time (we can do that right?)? He is the secondary on my PS4, and I am the secondary on his. Are there any drawbacks to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

They have actually done not one but TWO games that were reviewed by Something Awful. Think about it.

I don't know what they are but am I safe in guessing it's Jack Keane and Jack Keane 2?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Aishan posted:

They made a new Twisted Metal a couple of years ago, no-one bought it.

No poo poo, shows how much I've been paying attention.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Harton posted:

No poo poo, shows how much I've been paying attention.

It's typical of Old Sony in that it was dumped in January with barely any hype or announcement despite meaning to be the revival of one of its old flagships.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

nate fisher posted:

I think I'm going to get CoD digitally. Can someone please explain how I can do the trick where my son can play it on his PS4 online at the same time as me by purchasing it one time (we can do that right?)? He is the secondary on my PS4, and I am the secondary on his. Are there any drawbacks to this?

1. Register your PSN account on your son's PS4.
2. Log into your account on your son's PS4 and select the option "Make this my primary PS4"
3. Purchase and download title on your account and PS4.
4. Log into your son's PS4 and download title.

Your son should be able to play the game using his PSN account. However, you will not have access to any of your titles on your PS4 unless you maintain internet connectivity.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

timeandtide posted:

It's typical of Old Sony in that it was dumped in January with barely any hype or announcement despite meaning to be the revival of one of its old flagships.

Yeah I remember it being a pretty big game series when I was younger. I bet they could do some cool things with the genre with all this next gen technology.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twisted Metal was a pretty big game series but it was also kind of a product of its time. I'm not saying a revival is impossible but it suffered pretty heavily from sales drops and most attempts to reboot it were pretty unsuccessful. (And I really liked Twisted Metal Black.)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Reading the 2.0 preview notes are pretty underwhelming. Still no sign of system standby resume/support for games and their solution to the menu clutter is asinine. I don't need filtering options, let me create my own bloody folders. I don't even care if they have preview icon art or anything, this is really basic stuff that should not be difficult to implement. The friends implementation leaves a lot to be desired and PSN still has problems all the damned time too.

They are really lagging behind Microsoft on this stuff, I know they're not a big software company but this clumsy poo poo is getting annoying.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I never really played Twisted Metal, but I loving loved "Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012" (and have just felt my age as this games dystopian future is now set 2 years in the past) which I think was the same engine. Carmageddon, Road Rash, Burnout, a fairly poor early 360 game which might have been called Full Auto or something similar... I miss vehicle fighting race games. Never really played wipeout, the impression I always got was that it was a racing game with some combat rather than my preference a combat game where you happened to be racing.

Edit: I'm vaguely aware that they are remaking carmageddon and "spiritual sequel"-izing Road Rash, but I dont really play games on the PC any more, so I'm hoping that they are successful enough to get console ports.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

SiKboy posted:

I never really played Twisted Metal, but I loving loved "Rogue Trip: Vacation 2012" (and have just felt my age as this games dystopian future is now set 2 years in the past) which I think was the same engine. Carmageddon, Road Rash, Burnout, a fairly poor early 360 game which might have been called Full Auto or something similar... I miss vehicle fighting race games. Never really played wipeout, the impression I always got was that it was a racing game with some combat rather than my preference a combat game where you happened to be racing.

Interstate 76 was the game that got me into the vehicle combat genre. I played so many hours using keyboard controls that when I finally got a controller, I didn't use it because I was better with the keyboard.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

SiKboy posted:

Edit: I'm vaguely aware that they are remaking carmageddon and "spiritual sequel"-izing Road Rash, but I dont really play games on the PC any more, so I'm hoping that they are successful enough to get console ports.

Rouge trip was amazing, I remember using some type of cheat code or something to unlock a UFO.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Shadow of Mordor is still my favorite game of the year. I made a little video using the photo mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvKUPGsBksg
I guess even the Steam version got photo mode, which is actually pretty awesome. It started out as kind of a PS4 only thing and I'm glad it's being copied and brought over to other systems. I wont be happy until every single god damned game has Photo Mode.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Is anyone else having issues with the store and their friends list not loading? It started last night, began working again and now it's all screwy once more.

Edit: it's working again. The gently caress.

Draven fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 18, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I wish they could come clear on standby/resume. Tell us if they found a huge bug that turns out hard to fix or worse.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

They are really lagging behind Microsoft on this stuff

1. you have too many games

2. the microsoft alternative is ads everywhere

3. tiles are awful and way worse than a most recently used program list.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I just sold my ps3 copy of last of us for $20 and getting in on that $30 deal that was posted. Paying $10 for the ps4 version? :getin:

revolther
May 27, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

I wish they could come clear on standby/resume. Tell us if they found a huge bug that turns out hard to fix or worse.
Honestly is it worth it?

With how snappy the system is, presently it's like 30 seconds to get into game and playing. Suspend/resuming games means writing the current state from RAM to disk, that means what 4-8gigs per user, assuming it's only supporting the last played title.

It's also gonna have to either save or dump the gameplay recording cache and thrash the hard drive during the process and that will inflate the size of what ever hiberfile is being created.

Then there's little crap like gracefully ending any stream uploads, and allowing for all the back burner updating and syncing that wants to write to disk.

Really doesn't seem like a high payoff feature.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

1. you have too many games

2. the microsoft alternative is ads everywhere

3. tiles are awful and way worse than a most recently used program list.

If you think people have too many games now, wait a year. I need to find that gibbed picture of him scrolling the main menu for comedy. My PS4 has giant tiles too and I can't customize the home screen in any meaningful way. Microsoft at least has been improving their lovely design at a steady pace.

quote:

Yeah I really don't know what the hold up is. To the guy above, yeah its worth it if you have kids and get interrupted constantly. The kind of games I like to play aren't always great with check pointing either. I've only seen it on the Xbox at a friends place once but it seemed to work just fine there.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 18, 2014

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

If you think people have too many games now, wait a year.

in a year the games i'm playing at the moment will still be right there at the beginning of my recent list.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

revolther posted:

Honestly is it worth it?

With how snappy the system is, presently it's like 30 seconds to get into game and playing. Suspend/resuming games means writing the current state from RAM to disk, that means what 4-8gigs per user, assuming it's only supporting the last played title.

I don't think the feature as discussed was about preserving memory images for user switching, it was more like what the Vita does or putting a PC to sleep where the contents of RAM are preserved but everything else including 99% of the CPU is powered off. It would make coming out of standby much faster and boot directly into where you left the game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Aishan posted:

They made a new Twisted Metal a couple of years ago, no-one bought it.
They kind of took what was fun out of Twisted Metal and turned it into generic trash

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The core gameplay and a lot of the art design + map design was amazing in the last Twisted Metal but it needed a lot more polish and actual working multiplayer. Such a shame. That franchise rules and I feel like that was it's last chance at existing. I would be so happy if Sony could give it one more chance on the PS4.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They killed the Hawk franchise the same year like two months later due to similarly getting a lot of interest in the game and then just dropping it with no marketing or anything and somewhat unpolished. I loved both those games though.

revolther
May 27, 2008

haveblue posted:

I don't think the feature as discussed was about preserving memory images for user switching, it was more like what the Vita does or putting a PC to sleep where the contents of RAM are preserved but everything else including 99% of the CPU is powered off. It would make coming out of standby much faster and boot directly into where you left the game.
Hmm, sounds like that's fine in a single user environment like the Vita but just makes your wife or kid have to wait that much longer to play for any time it saves you.

Seems like this feature exists as the PS button minus power saving, which is about battery on portables.

Edit: a sleep style implementation also loses your progress when another user picks up the controller and launches Peggle. Some imaging of the non-os dedicated RAM would be the way to go though certainly trickier to implement.

revolther fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 18, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Holy poo poo, Sony actually updated their webstore in the last few days. After the initial load for the site all of the pages open much faster than before.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Trip report:

Peggle 2 is GOTY as expected.

Carry on.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

TotalHell posted:

Trip report:

Peggle 2 is GOTY as expected.

Carry on.

Seriously. I've been rather stressed recently with work and what not. And Peggle 2 has just been so soothing and bright. It's like relaxation therapy and a little reminder we don't all need to be killing, slaying or saving the universe. Two thumbs up from this goon!

Also I got my free vouchers for topping up and bought COD: we got jet packs so this time it'll be different version. I will at least enjoy the campaign even if it's short, and hopefully the co op mode (robot zombies?) should be good and hell with my newly added Kontrol Freaks maybe I'll have a chance in multiplayer?? It's like Stockholm syndrome, and year after after I keep coming back.....

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 18, 2014

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TLOU is a fun game but the story is one long wild goose chase with a duh obvious twist in the final act.
Naughty dog has really conquered the playable movie where you kill way too many people genre. I hope they branch out one day.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Played more of the Xrd demo, and yeah I'm going to need a PS4 fightstick as soon as loving possible.

God it looks good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How do I edit recorded clips?

The one I have is 14 minutes long, and I just need ten seconds of it.

Nevermind. Found out about Share Factory™.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 18, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

TLOU is a fun game but the story is one long wild goose chase with a duh obvious twist in the final act.
Naughty dog has really conquered the playable movie where you kill way too many people genre. I hope they branch out one day.

The game bears a lot of similarities to Children of Men which is more about the journey than the destination. Winter made that game for me. Joel could have just died at the end of Fall and the game ends with Winter and I would have been fine.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Played more of the Xrd demo, and yeah I'm going to need a PS4 fightstick as soon as loving possible.

God it looks good.

They're releasing an Ultra TE stick for the PS4 right?

e: yep http://store.madcatz.com/brands/Ult...or-PS4-PS3.html

Also stolen from Reddit but here is a challenge runner from Demon/Dark Souls playing and commenting on Lord of the Fallen: http://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr/b/578542801?t=14m

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 18, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Manac0r posted:

Yeah, also the Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 stick. I really wish the NA special edition of Xrd came with a pad like the JP one.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Manac0r posted:

Two hundred dollars are you making GBS threads me?

Looks like I'll just have to mod my PS3 TE.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

God it looks good.

I gotta make a Japanese account for this, right? definitely looking forward.

P.S. just a heads up, because I haven't really seen this game get discussed -- I impulse bought basically every PSN game that came out this week and the only one that I felt burned on was In Space We Brawl, or whatever it's called. if you're considering a purchase, don't do what I did. watch some videos first and make sure it seems like fun for you. I bought it blind because I love a good twin-stick shooter (probably logged more hours in Geometry Wars 2 than any other game on my 360) and I really like local multiplayer (which is the ONLY multiplayer mode available btw; there's no online and the single player is super bare-bones) -- but I found the UI really slow and ugly and the couple matches I played with my roommate left us both saying "wait, what the gently caress just happened?". Winning doesn't feel very satisfying and losing is just kind of confusing, none of the mechanics are well-explained and a ton of the ship customizations available are locked behind an extremely half-assed single player mode.

Basically it's a major bummer, because I'm pretty sure I am like exactly the perfect target audience for a competitive local multiplayer twin-stick shooter with a focus on ship and weapon customization but in my experience this game fell really flat. we played a couple rounds and then realized we could be playing Nidhogg, Spelunky, Pix The Cat arena mode or Sportsfriends instead and basically said gently caress it. Maybe I'll boot it up again at some point and "get it", but for now, first impressions were really disappointing. Again-- it feels like I'm the person this kind of game was MADE for and I still couldn't have very much fun with it. If anyone's bought it and HAS enjoyed it, though, I'd be very interested in hearing why and how -- I can't tell if it's just a bad game or if I'm totally missing something

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

cams posted:

Two hundred dollars are you making GBS threads me?

Looks like I'll just have to mod my PS3 TE.

Good luck with that. Dual modding with a ds4 pcb is a pain in the rear end, and very easy to gently caress up. The Hori rap4 is 150, which is the cheapest way to go.

You can use the latest ps360+ firmware update, but that lasts for 8 min at a time before you have to disconnect the stick and reconnect it, since it doesn't have the Bluetooth module for ps4 check in.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
ok just tried out Peggle 2 which was also one of this week's impulse buys and holy poo poo this is possibly the most viscerally satisfying games I have ever played in my life. I was afraid they were gonna gently caress it up somehow (I know they actually removed the original Peggle from the iOS AppStore and replaced it with a timer-based, lovely free to play version) but NOPE this game loving rules

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I saw some guy buy a Drive Club PS4 bundle and no other games yesterday. I kinda felt bad for him, but obviously not enough to say anything.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I saw some guy buy a Drive Club PS4 bundle and no other games yesterday. I kinda felt bad for him, but obviously not enough to say anything.

Hey you never know. He could be buying digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ineffiable posted:

Hey you never know. He could be buying digital.
A digital second copy of DriveClub? :shepface:

• Locked thread