Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

I'm kind of afraid to ask, but what the gently caress is game gate.

A filthy whore female game designer allegedly slept with a reviewer to get a better review (which I'm fairly certain turned out to be bullshit, but that's almost irrelevant now). This got the ~%~gamer community~%~ all up in arms, so they started pushing in social media for fair, unbiased video game reviews, untainted by outside sources.

They did this by loving up any and every reviewer who dared criticize misogynistic elements of games, or bring up equality in any way, and by sending death threats to Sarkeesian and others, and by wishing rape upon many female designers and reviewers.

You know. For unbiased reporting.

The "gate" is them trying to elevate this little slapfight over silly bullshit for children to the same level as one of the biggest political scandals of the 20th century. Without a trace of irony they use this term, "gamergate".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

I'm kind of afraid to ask, but what the gently caress is game gate.

A female video game developer broke up with her boyfriend who worked at the Gawker gaming site Kotaku. A bunch of nerds, including her ex, decided to be misogynistic assholes to her and Anita Sarkeesian under the guise of wanting to make sure that """""games journalism"""" isn't a corrupt shitshow. This is extremely germane because her one game that she's made is a free-to-play game that she released a year before ever meeting the editor at Kotaku, and she was clearly manipulating for getting a good review... on a game that he never reviewed... that's free anyways... because... reasons?

Anyways, it's difficult for a nonzero number of the population to treat women like people.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sent off the NB parts car. Good bye you baby poo poo orange piece of poo poo.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 213 days!)

> The attached documents can be used as a guide to install a FWD V6 fuel pump into an XWD V6 2006-2009 9-3.

Why? The XWD fuel pump is NLA- which is pretty strange, since I'd bet anything that it is available under the guise of yet another brand. Probably Caddy. :toot:

E: Its a Walbro TU323. They're available. Great inventory guys.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 18, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Is there alcohol in it? Yes?

That's my favorite.

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm multifuel. If it burns, pour the fucker down the hatch.

These 2 have the right mindset. I drink beer mostly, but I do love a Manhattan. Its loving amazing if you can get it done correctly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I drink mostly beer and bourbon, but I do love a Suffering Bastard every once in a while, especially if bourbon is used in place of rum.

Fucknag posted:

A filthy whore female game designer allegedly slept with a reviewer to get a better review (which I'm fairly certain turned out to be bullshit, but that's almost irrelevant now). This got the ~%~gamer community~%~ all up in arms, so they started pushing in social media for fair, unbiased video game reviews, untainted by outside sources.

They did this by loving up any and every reviewer who dared criticize misogynistic elements of games, or bring up equality in any way, and by sending death threats to Sarkeesian and others, and by wishing rape upon many female designers and reviewers.

You know. For unbiased reporting.

The "gate" is them trying to elevate this little slapfight over silly bullshit for children to the same level as one of the biggest political scandals of the 20th century. Without a trace of irony they use this term, "gamergate".

I didn't know about the first part...what in the absolute gently caress is wrong with these people. I am literally (not figuratively) unable to comprehend the sheer idiocy and pettiness of this whole thing now.

I've got to go for a drive or go lift or something...thinking about this is pissing me off.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 18, 2014

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I'm going out tonight, what should I drink? I usually order some snotty craft beer or an old fashioned.

Am I sufficiently cute enough for him to risk the possibility that I'm completely insane? We'll find out.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

goatse guy posted:

I'm going out tonight, what should I drink? I usually order some snotty craft beer or an old fashioned.

Am I sufficiently cute enough for him to risk the possibility that I'm completely insane? We'll find out.

He has a nice smile and seems to have a good sense of humor. Be sure to report back with details :allears:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

I like gin and tonics but I can never taste the differences in gins. They all taste like pine trees to me.

Good gin isn't to be mixed with tonic, which is probably why you can't taste the difference. If it's for a G&T just use Bombay or something middle shelf. Or if you really like a good bite Beefeater (that's my go-to for gin and tonics).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I actually like Gilbey's gin, which is nice because it is dirt cheap. Bombay is good too, but I still prefer Gilbey's. I also like Old Crow whiskey, so apparently I have the alcohol palette of a hobo.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Got some London's gin that I plan on mixing with vodka and apple and mango juice later to see what happens.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

goatse guy posted:

Manhatten. Made with rye like god intended.
If they serve it on the rocks rather than up, insult the bartender and leave.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

nm posted:

Manhatten. Made with rye like god intended.
If they serve it on the rocks rather than up, insult the bartender and leave.

I'm going to Grumpy's and I'm not sure if I have that much faith in their bartenders.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Motronic posted:

Good gin isn't to be mixed with tonic, which is probably why you can't taste the difference. If it's for a G&T just use Bombay or something middle shelf. Or if you really like a good bite Beefeater (that's my go-to for gin and tonics).

Yea Ive never tried it by itself or in any other drink so that must be why.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Picked up a nail in my left rear tire about 1cm from where I got a nail about a year ago.

It can't be patched, apparently. Hello tirerack. :(

Also one of our cattes got out last night and I haven't found him yet today. I put up a craigslist lost/found ad and am periodically checking the local shelter's stray list. Kitty pictures incoming if he returns. :( I'm staying hopeful that he's just napping in some underbrush. I'll go out and look again around dusk since that's when cats tend to be most active.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 18, 2014

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Fart Pipe posted:

At the last wedding we went to, my wife had a bit too much to drink and decided to switch to water, hoping to ward off the hangover. She reached for what she thought was a glass of water and took a big gulp. Turns out it was a lukewarm gin and tonic, which is disgusting by itself and doubly so when you're expecting cold water. She did a picture-perfect spit take, fortunately not directly at anyone.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Figured out how to make YouTube link to my Tivo system from Mediacom. Its now lazy rear end mode because I don't feel 100% and I can watch MST3K. Plus I am just beat, been up since 7pm yesterday, work at 0040 off duty at 1040 and not showing to go back till 5 am tomorrow. I am not doing poo poo!

I have just lost all motivation, but next time I get home I really need to get some fluids changed on the Rover and prep the Jag to go into winter storage.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Figured out how to make YouTube link to my Tivo system from Mediacom. Its now lazy rear end mode because I don't feel 100% and I can watch MST3K.

Rowsdower is the most AI of all MST3K characters.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Introduced my kids (1 and 3) to my father who left my mother and i at 3 and i haven't seen in about 15 years today. Tuesday i leave for truck driving orientation/abuse 300 miles from here. After that i'll probably be home once a month or so for the next few months.

I'm already drained.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I love gin and tonics. It's been my drink of choice for about a year now. My favorite bargain gin is New Amsterdam. To me it tastes like Tanqueray at half the price.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My kid saw me reading deadpool comics on pintrest so I explained a little about him, my wife overheard and wants to see the film when it comes out.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cakefool posted:

My kid saw me reading deadpool comics on pintrest so I explained a little about him, my wife overheard and wants to see the film when it comes out.

You've shown them this yes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoXGsv9nsNs

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I will when this episode of Galactica is finished.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

goatse guy posted:

Sorry to break this to you dude, but misogyny affects everyone.

No, in this case it really doesn't. I have found life's cheat codes, closing a browser or using avoidance as a tactic. I may sound like an rear end in a top hat but I'm too old to care about e-problems. The few times the internet manifested itself in real life it inconvenienced me from getting home at my normal time thereby keeping me from spending time with my family. I'm looking at you critical mass bike riders and we are the 99% shitheads loving up the freeway in Oakland. If it stays on the internet, at least I have a choice in closing my browser or reading through too much poo poo to care.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's probably the best approach. The people involved in this sort of thing are usually of the "agree with me 100% or you're worse than Hitler" persuasion anyway, so gently caress 'em.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Fart Pipe posted:

I somehow lived my life until last year without ever having drunk a gin and tonic. I have never drunk anything other than a cheap gin (I have a constant production line of damson gin made using the cheapest gin I can buy) and have never drunk it straight. Should I try some decent stuff?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

keykey posted:

No, in this case it really doesn't. I have found life's cheat codes, closing a browser or using avoidance as a tactic. I may sound like an rear end in a top hat but I'm too old to care about e-problems. The few times the internet manifested itself in real life it inconvenienced me from getting home at my normal time thereby keeping me from spending time with my family. I'm looking at you critical mass bike riders and we are the 99% shitheads loving up the freeway in Oakland. If it stays on the internet, at least I have a choice in closing my browser or reading through too much poo poo to care.

Misogyny isn't just limited to manchildren whining on the internet about bideo gaymes. I am frightened by misogyny in any form because it's so pervasive in our society.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

goatse guy posted:

I'm going to Grumpy's and I'm not sure if I have that much faith in their bartenders.

Its been years, but beer probably then.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

angryhampster posted:

I love gin and tonics. It's been my drink of choice for about a year now. My favorite bargain gin is New Amsterdam. To me it tastes like Tanqueray at half the price.

Same, a 1.5L bottle for $19 is a great deal and while it's not as strong as sapphire it tastes almost as good and it's cheap enough that I don't feel bad for buying it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

goatse guy posted:

Misogyny isn't just limited to manchildren whining on the internet about bideo gaymes. I am frightened by misogyny in any form because it's so pervasive in our society.

I'm not crazy about misogyny or misandry. Ahaha oh holy poo poo. Spell checker recognizes misogyny but not misandry. Wow.

My partner has a friend that's a misandrist. Really I'd love to hit her over the head and bury her somewhere when she essentially dehumanizes males, including me, like it's nothing. I can't grasp why people are like that beyond some hosed up person somewhere along the line propagating the view through their offspring. People are people. Sure the differences can make one gender a bit hard to comprehend to the other at times but that's no reason to hate them.

So, changing away from all this, I picked up an espresso machine from the secondhand shop. Still had the manuals, tags and all. I've been having way too much coffee since. I only drink it black but damned if I don't like coffee made with them the best.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat I'd love a proper espresso machine, but I have an Aero press so it's all good. Best coffee gadget I ever bought.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
I have a drip coffee machine. I'm a monster.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

I can't stand the taste of coffee at all. Never drink the stuff, ever. You're all monsters.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 213 days!)

goatse guy posted:

I have a mismatched (glass carafe broke, found a worksgoodenough replacement) generic drip coffee machine. I use it to brew Red Rose tea. :ssh:

InitialDave posted:

I can't stand the taste of coffee at all. Never drink the stuff, ever. You're all monsters.

:agreed:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 18, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a drip machine, burr grinder, French press, aero press, and a Keurig machine.

Keurig is for when I'm lazy :v:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My Aero Press has ruined my ability to drink coffee from any other source. I'm not a huge coffee sperg (I just get ground Gevalia that's always on sale) but to my taste buds the Aero Press is king.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

Agreed.

The only coffee-like substance I can stand is the cappuccinos you get at gas stations, and those are about as close to coffee as microwave dinners are to fine dining.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 18, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I only drink coffee when I have little else to choose from. After years of aviation coffee, which is made from Skydrol and ground-up tires as far as I can tell, the thought of drinking coffee - even good, well-made stuff - makes my stomach turn. Give me a cup of tea instead please.

Unrelated, but I just had a great lift and I feel much less angry now. :)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I just started using a french press a few years ago and it rules so much. It makes even regular old Folgers or whatever taste like that cat poo poo coffee compared to a drip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fart Pipe posted:

I just started using a french press a few years ago and it rules so much. It makes even regular old Folgers or whatever taste like that cat poo poo coffee compared to a drip.

"French press: It'll make your coffee taste like cat poo poo"

(I know what you were referring to but still, phrasing)

• Locked thread