Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I measure my Doctor Who episodes by how high I'm having to raise my feet so they're not touching the floor.

Tonight was a good episode. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Jamie Mathieson for showrunner.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Clara was great in this, they further developed the ongoing storyline between her and the Doctor as well as her and Danny, there was a creepy new race of monsters, some genuinely strong emotional moments, a clever resolution that turned the monsters' powers against them, and then the Doctor steps out and makes that speech about taking on the roles assigned to them and banishes them while simultaneously "naming" them.... really, this guy Mathieson understands how to write great Doctor Who.

Is Neil Cross doing any episodes this year? I really enjoyed both the episodes he did in season 7 too.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

SpaceCommie posted:

Let's not get too hasty here. This reaction is a lot similar to what happened when we first got Gatiss episodes, and regardless of your side on that debate, I think we can agree we don't' need it to happen again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sighence posted:

Let's not get too hasty here. This reaction is a lot similar to what happened when we first got Gatiss episodes, and regardless of your side on that debate, I think we can agree we don't' need it to happen again.

Or Moffat. His stuff under RTD was better than a lot of his showrunner episodes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

That was a loving amazing episode. I didn't even mind that the final resolution was the Doctor waving the sonic around and doing 'something'. What did he name the aliens in the end? God, this could've done with being a few minutes longer.

The aliens looked amazing, the effects through out were spot on. Awesome. I think this was favourite episode since... I don't know, sometime a few years ago I guess.

More please.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Jamie Mathieson has my attention.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

What did he name the aliens in the end?

I think it was "The Boneless"

Something about the fact he named them before banishing them put me in mind of a powerful mystic/shaman, which I really liked. Somebody mentioned it was a "10 moment" and for me that brought to mind him naming the Carrionites.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Jerusalem posted:

that brought to mind him naming the Carrionites.

Except in a good episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zaggitz posted:

Except in a good episode.

The Shakespeare Code is fine, it's an overall unremarkable story that basically retreads a lot of the far better beats we see in The Unquiet Dead. There are definitely some cringeworthy scenes, of course, but also some very good ones, and the best is probably the Doctor "naming" the Carrionite.

This episode was excellent though, and that scene was the amazing cherry on the gently caress-yeah sundae.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 18, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

The Shakespeare Code is fine

Well aint that quaint

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well it is :colbert:

This isn't the same as saying it's a quality episode or one of my favorites, but I find the vitriol it gets weird because it's really quite an unremarkable and mostly forgettable episode. There are certainly episodes that deserve far more scorn than it gets.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Really, really fun episode, and the conversation about Clara's being the Doctor at the end is a really good way to continue this plot thread about her reservations over Twelve. I'm glad that bit isn't just going to be dropped. And it looks like it will probably be brought out into the open next week, too.

I might just have to go ahead and say this is my favorite season of the revival so far.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've only generally seen each NuWho episode once, at the time of original broadcast. So I've been using Netflix to re-watch them all. Today I've binged Human Nature, The Family of Blood, Blink and now Flatline. It has been a good day for watching Dr Who.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Well I'm going to watch the Pyramids of Mars

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

That was a pretty good episode, with nice little moments of comedy interspersed with a genuinely creepy threat. Although the biggest laugh I had was coming to the thread immediately after watching the episode and seeing this:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well I'm going to watch the Pyramids of Mars

kant
May 12, 2003
Really good episode!

At the end we get Missy saying "Clara my Clara". Sounds like something the Doctor would say. That's it, she's the Doctor from the future and Moffat gets to say he cast a woman for the role without really doing so. Clever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

All life shall perish under the reign of Sutekh the Destroyer!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

kant posted:

Really good episode!

At the end we get Missy saying "Clara my Clara". Sounds like something the Doctor would say. That's it, she's the Doctor from the future and Moffat gets to say he cast a woman for the role without really doing so. Clever.

And she's going around saving everyone he thought he was unable to save?

Because just this once, everyone lives!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Evil? Your evil is my good. I am Sutekh the Destroyer. Where I tread I leave nothing but dust and darkness. I find that good."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This episode horrified me in places like the X-Files used to do when I was a kid. This was great.

The nervous system mural unnerved the poo poo out of me.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jerusalem posted:

Well it is :colbert:

This isn't the same as saying it's a quality episode or one of my favorites, but I find the vitriol it gets weird because it's really quite an unremarkable and mostly forgettable episode. There are certainly episodes that deserve far more scorn than it gets.

All good episodes are the best episode ever; all bad episodes are the worst episode ever. Get it together, JRu. :colbert:

Though, The Shakespeare Code does stand out in my mind as an episode that wasn't just bad, it mad me embarrassed to be watching. All episodes where the Doctor writer masturbates over some historical figure are like that, but The Shakespeare Code is excruciatingly poorly executed to boot.

kant posted:

Really good episode!

At the end we get Missy saying "Clara my Clara".

"I chose well"*- Missy = the woman that gave Clara the Doctor's number confirmed?

(*I can't remember the exact line, it was something like that.)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yep, Jamie's pretty rad. I hope they bring him back to write at least two episodes next season, if not more.

One thing that bugged me was when Mr. Graffiti got on board the train, then Clara just threw her headband on and they hopped off. I'm fine with the headband solution, but Graffiti sat there being dumbfounded a few beats too long for my taste. It really made him seem like a pudding brain to sit there being monologed at about a hairband rather than just realizing basically right away "Oh, I don't need to be on this train, lets hop off."

I wonder what the heck all this Missy/Heaven stuff is going to lead to. It's certainly not building anticipation in me the way that the crack in the wall did :colbert:.

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan

kant posted:

Really good episode!

Best theory I've heard yet, I'd be satisfied with that.

I really enjoyed this episode, having Clara be the Doctor was awesome and she was great at it. Also those effects were top notch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It also looked a lot like Missy and her iPad Of Doom were in a redressed TARDIS set.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gaz-L posted:

It also looked a lot like Missy and her iPad Of Doom were in a redressed TARDIS set.

It's hilarious they didn't even try to cover up the fact it was an iPad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HD DAD posted:

It's hilarious they didn't even try to cover up the fact it was an iPad.

"Watching your 'boyfriend'/archenemy's loyal sidekick across the void of time and space? There's an app for that!"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SpaceCommie posted:

This guy Mathieson is great, let's try to not burn him out too early eh? Kind of spooky that I was talking about this on irc and someone posts this. Even if he never made showrunner, Who eats writers for breakfast and they all have their limitations. Let's just enjoy him now. It wasn't just the ideas I liked, I was also impressed by the characterization, actual believable side characters. An episode where imagination was well-matched with image technology. And Missy is getting drat creepy now.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm a Time Lord, I walk in eternity

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Ughhh, we KNOW you're a Time Lohhhhd. :rolleyes:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

It also looked to me like the walls had windows shaped like Cybermen eyes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

"A lord of time. Are there lords in such a small domain?" :v:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The monsters in this episode were some of the creepiest I've seen on Doctor Who. God drat.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I got chills on the "You were an exceptional Doctor, Clara... goodness had nothing to do with it" line.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I like that the Doctor seemed to be most upset not that Clara was able to detach herself during the crisis, but that she remained detached afterwards.

I also adored them using the Twelfth Doctor theme three times to great effect.

1.When the Doctor was finger-walking the TARDIS off the tracks, which I couldn't stop laughing at.
2.When Clara saved Rigsy from suiciding in the train. (Because she's the Doctor at that point)
3.When the Doctor did his full on "I AM A GOOD WIZARD WITH MY MAGIC WAND" speech.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 19, 2014

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Though, The Shakespeare Code does stand out in my mind as an episode that wasn't just bad, it mad me embarrassed to be watching. All episodes where the Doctor writer masturbates over some historical figure are like that, but The Shakespeare Code is excruciatingly poorly executed to boot.

If you are including vincent and the doctor in this i will fight you

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Help me out here, at the end when he says, "I AM THE DOCTOR and I NAME YOU THE..." what's he name them? I can't make it out.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hermit crab Tardis! This episode is rad.
The Doctor dragging himself along by his little scuttling fingers while that heroic music played has got to be the funniest thing in this series so far.

I haven't liked Doctor Who this much since Moffat's first year, which I still think was brilliant. The next two series are, well, best not talked about, but after a rocky start this series is getting better with each episode and I'm about ready to consider it a return to form. I just hope the Missy stuff is going somewhere entertaining.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

AndyElusive posted:

Help me out here, at the end when he says, "I AM THE DOCTOR and I NAME YOU THE..." what's he name them? I can't make it out.

I heard Bonerus.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Doctor Who series 8 (34): The monsters are called the Boneless, OK? He said Boneless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's an interesting contrast to last week's tidy little mystery monster - this time we're presented with an enemy so fundamentally different from us that their true motives may simply be impossible to divine. There are some good hints though - I got the impression that the Boneless were an incredibly intelligent race with a burning scientific curiosity that overrode any ethical concerns about harming the creatures they were studying. By ripping at and studying every intruder into their plane they were able to not only deduce the existence of a third dimension, but also to manipulate their plane to move around and interact with it.

e: also we've had quite a few episodes that have expored strange temporal concepts, so it's nice to have one focus on the spatial side.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 19, 2014

• Locked thread