Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Another Nintendo franchise that could map to this formula would be Pokemon. They could use the same feudal Japan-esque setting from that one Pokemon tactics game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
As far as I can tell, Silver Coccoos do nothing. They move between keeps by "retreating" each time. You start fighting them and they usually retreat halfway through. If they retreat to different keeps too many times, they retreat fully and are gone, and nothing seems to happen. If you capture every enemy kep except their main base plus one more, the Silver Cuccoo will be trapped in that one non-base keep until you kill it (Silver Cuccoo has lost sight of escape routes or something). Killing it doesn't actually seem to do anything, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

What do you get for doing this? I've never been able to

If he successfully retreats back to base, it automatically opens the enemy base and you don't have to complete whatever the initial mission was.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm beginning to suspect that Wizzro might actually be the strongest character in the game now, but not in a good way like Volga or Ganondorf. Just mashing the basic combo out on Wizzro is ridiculously powerful, to the point that outside of giant bosses it might even be better than using weakness attacks. He's ranged, pops up enemies, can dodge cancel out of basically everything, and even seems to be able to set up infinite juggles on everything but giant bosses. Just do the full combo and cancel out of the last hit to restart it. He keeps a huge number of enemies in the air, keeping them safe and damaging them constantly, and the second to last hit pulls them back to him to start it all over again.

Also the Hilda costume for Zelda is great, though it is lame that Link's Ravio costume still has blonde hair. They should've gone the rest of the way with more of the costumes. Black hair for Hilda Shiek, blonde hair for Link Cia, and I don't really know for red Impa, but whatever Volga's hair color is, I guess?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 18, 2014

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The new rewards map is pretty cool. Has an interesting new mechanic which would make a good challenge map. When your allies are defeated by one of the 3 Imprisoneds running around the map, they defect to the enemy - beating them to half health will bring them back to your side.

A map based on that mechanic with every captain doing that would be pretty crazy. Especially if it only ended when everyone was blue.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So now that I've actually managed to get Volga a bunch of his Attack Badges, I went ahead and ran him through the mission for the first new alternate costume just to see how he handles.

And it turns out that he is a never-ending fountain of murder and carnage and it is glorious. :swoon:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do you do the costume quest for Lana?

Impa has super armor and beats my guys up and if I try to stop her it's a 100% guarantee to kill me

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I caved and bought the DLC pass for all future DLC. :sigh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

You made the right choice

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The new rewards map is pretty cool. Has an interesting new mechanic which would make a good challenge map. When your allies are defeated by one of the 3 Imprisoneds running around the map, they defect to the enemy - beating them to half health will bring them back to your side.

A map based on that mechanic with every captain doing that would be pretty crazy. Especially if it only ended when everyone was blue.

drat you are a beast at this game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Do Not sigh, gamer. Rejoice!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I only sigh because I haven't even finished the base adventure map and I typically don't have a lot of free time and I'm afraid Hyrule Warriors is going to consume it all.

Not that that's necessarily bad but there's a lot of video games coming out I need to play. :negative:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Does anyone have that Google spreadsheet updated with the master quest content?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Regy Rusty posted:

drat you are a beast at this game.

And yet I still can't A-Rank Boss Rush. :negative: I'm going to have to rope my boyfriend into helping distract two of the monsters at a time. Feels like cheating, but it was all i could do to C-Rank it solo by absuing Great Fairy's invicibility.

Also Wizzro's tier 3 stage... is a Rack up KOs stage?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I finally got around to beating Legend Mode today, but the paid DLC content still isn't showing up. Do I need to play a certain amount of Adventure Mode for it to appear or do I need to redownload the DLC?

Edit: Oh, you have to reboot the WiiU afterwards or something I guess.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 18, 2014

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Another Nintendo franchise that could map to this formula would be Pokemon. They could use the same feudal Japan-esque setting from that one Pokemon tactics game.

That game came about because The Pokemon Company rejected a Dynasty Warriors game, Nobunaga's Ambition was their alternative suggestion.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm alternating between doing new Master Quest stuff and cleaning up the skulltulas I missed in the regular adventure mode (only 4 more to go!) and in doing so I figured out how to make "Defeat the Demon King!" an absolute joke. I'd probably be able to A-rank it if I cared to try but I'm only interested in getting the skulltulas.

The trick is to completely abandon the Castle keep at the bottom. Don't even bother killing the Bombchu going to it. Because what you want to happen is prolong the first stage of the mission as long as possible. Lana down below and the powered up Big Poes up above will not march on your base until the first mission is completed. This means you only have to clear out the people attacking the Central Keep, and then run up and take the keeps right above the base. Everyone else will just sit there placidly until you decide to recapture the Castle. You can then spend as much time as you like clearing the map before you go trigger the final phase. If you do it quickly enough you should probably be able to get the 1000 kills for full morale while seriously weakening the enemy forces and then take the Castle back to do it all within 15 minutes.

It's pretty funny to see this panic inducing map reduced to a bunch of enemies just standing there as I run around killing everything.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 18, 2014

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands

MarquiseMindfang posted:

As far as I can tell, Silver Coccoos do nothing. They move between keeps by "retreating" each time. You start fighting them and they usually retreat halfway through. If they retreat to different keeps too many times, they retreat fully and are gone, and nothing seems to happen. If you capture every enemy kep except their main base plus one more, the Silver Cuccoo will be trapped in that one non-base keep until you kill it (Silver Cuccoo has lost sight of escape routes or something). Killing it doesn't actually seem to do anything, though.

A silver enemy that keeps running away when you try to fight it?

Maybe killing it gives you a ton of experience....

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SuperHappy posted:

A silver enemy that keeps running away when you try to fight it?

Maybe killing it gives you a ton of experience....

I think I've only ever killed them with level 99 people, so maybe.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't get hit missions are bullshit.

If one of these has a required A-rank to get something cool, I'm gonna be mad.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How do you do the costume quest for Lana?

Impa has super armor and beats my guys up and if I try to stop her it's a 100% guarantee to kill me

I just finished this--my strategy for all the captains was to blow all my special attacks against them, then keeping them at range using the YYYYXX (I think. The one that pushes three blocks out in front of you) combo to push them away and keep them from hitting me until they were dead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm alternating between doing new Master Quest stuff and cleaning up the skulltulas I missed in the regular adventure mode (only 4 more to go!) and in doing so I figured out how to make "Defeat the Demon King!" an absolute joke. I'd probably be able to A-rank it if I cared to try but I'm only interested in getting the skulltulas.

The trick is to completely abandon the Castle keep at the bottom. Don't even bother killing the Bombchu going to it. Because what you want to happen is prolong the first stage of the mission as long as possible. Lana down below and the powered up Big Poes up above will not march on your base until the first mission is completed. This means you only have to clear out the people attacking the Central Keep, and then run up and take the keeps right above the base. Everyone else will just sit there placidly until you decide to recapture the Castle. You can then spend as much time as you like clearing the map before you go trigger the final phase. If you do it quickly enough you should probably be able to get the 1000 kills for full morale while seriously weakening the enemy forces and then take the Castle back to do it all within 15 minutes.

It's pretty funny to see this panic inducing map reduced to a bunch of enemies just standing there as I run around killing everything.

This is also the trick to Zelda's level 3 baton mission, which I have since beaten but will continue to haunt my dreams.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cia's green costume even has a blue scarf to match Link's.

Incidentally it's a bit lame his scarf is his gold-rank item instead of his iconic hat. Koei really must love their scarf or something.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Don't get hit missions ARE bullshit. If they were quizzes or all hits do ohko I'd be cool with it, but doing full adventure maps without getting hit is impossible.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I tried to use Agitha in a kill 600 enemies in 10 minutes mission on the way to unlock Zant.

gently caress Gohma. gently caress Gohma forever. How do I make Agitha good? I wish I didn't have a lovely default weapon. I couldn't even beat the mission with Link because Gohma kept killing me with its annoying laser.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

agitha sucks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I tried to use Agitha in a kill 600 enemies in 10 minutes mission on the way to unlock Zant.

gently caress Gohma. gently caress Gohma forever. How do I make Agitha good? I wish I didn't have a lovely default weapon. I couldn't even beat the mission with Link because Gohma kept killing me with its annoying laser.

Don't try to use Agitha too much until you get a few stars on her weapon. She's actually quite good against giant enemies, though. The butterfly combo makes both their life and Weakness bars plummet.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The answer to Gohma messing with you on those missions is to just kill Gohma. Unless you get really unlucky, it should go down pretty quick.

As for Agitha, BBY dodge BBY dodge BBY dodge, repeat until mission accomplished. Maybe occasionally use BY to start off a juggle. She's still tied with Zant for worst character in the game.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Come on Cia, it's not that bad. Sure everyone betrays you and the only way people are willing to work with you is because you brain controlled the deadliest son of a bitch on the planet, but there's still one person that loves you unconditionally!

You know, you. :smith:

Come to think of it, does Lana's almost unwavering support of Cia count as narcissism or self esteem?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Self-esteem. She's the 'good' half, remember.

Having seen the play out of that campaign, I'm convinced the Lana of the final stage is a fake. Cia's going crazy, she already can split into clones, 'Lana' shows up at the fairy fountain(Fairies are good at illusions/the area is high-magic), and barely talks(Not even acknowledging KO counts).

It's either amusing or sad. In the main campaign, she seems so cool and confident and strong for the most part. Here she's pretty much played like a fiddle. Wizro's a completely destructive loser with bad advice(Pissing off the Great Fairies is the last thing you should do, not to mention it meant she struck WELL before she was ready). Volga's O.K, but note he loses respect for her thanks to her going crazy.(Though thank god he doesn't actually defect). Allying with Zant and Ghirahim was a bad move. If I was gonna place a conditional or two for a hypothetical route in the future, it would be those recruitment missions.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Naerasa posted:

Don't get hit missions ARE bullshit. If they were quizzes or all hits do ohko I'd be cool with it, but doing full adventure maps without getting hit is impossible.

Use Sheik.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dunban posted:

Use Sheik.

There are some which are limited to other characters. Fortunately I haven't yet seen one that needs an A-rank to get something other than a heart piece.

In more optimistic news, I finally got all the Adventure Mode skulltulas! It's interesting to see which stages become truly hellish when you can't even lose 4 hearts. The worst were Ruto's Level 3 and the Summoning Gate level 3 since they're both filled with so much poo poo and it's really easy to slip up and take too many hits.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bloodly posted:

It's either amusing or sad. In the main campaign, she seems so cool and confident and strong for the most part.

The main campaign still paints her as a pathetic loser but at least she's powerful and competent. Cia's Story clarifies that she's also an incompetent leader who doesn't earn the respect of her lieutenants. The worst part is that it doesn't make her any more likable (like, at least Bowser's Inside Story describes Bowser as a funny and likable dude, even if he is completely toothless). Cia is a loving dope.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cia's story does confirm Wizzro is a loser dork though. Man gently caress Wizzro, whatta jerk.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Volga is the only cool guy I want a Volga backstory DLC

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Maybe it's just unfair because she gets pitted against Ganondorf, and the main campaign goes out of its way to make sure you know that the Dorf is a fuckin' hardass.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Regy Rusty posted:

Volga is the only cool guy I want a Volga backstory DLC

I really hoped it would turn out Volga was actually Volvagia forced into a human form for Cia to command. But him just being an unstoppable badass who lives in a volcano just because is awesome too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I figured there was a Volga/Volvagia connection somewhere, and I'm surprised that the game didn't go any further with it. But maybe it's just the same kind of pseudo-punny-name like how Wizzro is basically a Wizzrobe.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Naerasa posted:

It seems like those missions don't rank your kills, so at least you don't have to grind out kills and can try to finish them as early as possible.

Volga's the man, though. I kinda wish he at least got a dying cutscene or something, but I guess going maximum berserker and fighting all of Hyrule's warriors at the same time and winning is good too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like how Midna yells at Cia for turning her into a imp, but when you play Cia's story she's already a imp when she got there.

Midna why you gotta lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Volga's the man, though. I kinda wish he at least got a dying cutscene or something, but I guess going maximum berserker and fighting all of Hyrule's warriors at the same time and winning is good too.

When he refused to use Cia's dark power, so that he could have an honourable fight I was expecting his death to be way more dramatic. Instead I kind of just poked him a few more times and he was quickly forgotten to focus on Cia. It was a little anti-climatic.

Impa is still the coolest though.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 19, 2014

• Locked thread