Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
They only have one episode in the feed because they'd like you to buy access to the rest of them through their app, or to buy them individually from various places. The episode this week is a rerun, so that's what's in there right now. It's a bit of an antiquated model these days. I wish they had a no-reruns feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I've noticed most of the NPR podcasts I listen to do the re-run in the same feed. It's a bit annoying, at least with some they put an R or re-run in the description.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
I think doing reruns is ok, because not everyone has been listening to TAL for the 15 years or whatever that it has been on. That being said, I think replaying episodes from less than a year ago is silly. Give me some deep cuts, not stuff that I can remember word for word.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
They typically give updated info on the participants for old episodes, which can be interesting. I agree that rerunning yeast old episodes is lame. I pretty much ignore episodes newer than 450 unless I remember it being really interesting.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Brekelefuw posted:

I think doing reruns is ok, because not everyone has been listening to TAL for the 15 years or whatever that it has been on. That being said, I think replaying episodes from less than a year ago is silly. Give me some deep cuts, not stuff that I can remember word for word.

Hahaha that's not going to happen. TAL is now a serious journalism show about serious journalisms, and a lot of their older, better content can't be rerun these days because of the cost of fact-checking and amending something that old.

Gough Suppressant posted:

The British reporter on act 2 of the latest TAL comes across creepy as gently caress, particularly with the enthusiasm and apparent joy he has for the story of his friend being confronted and propositioned in a bedroom by someone she knew because of her husbands deluded claims of her infidelity.

Ronson is one of those people like Louis Theroux who has a really weird persona that somehow magically hacks people's brains and makes them give him all kinds of personal information. Unlike Theroux he generally uses it to talk about interesting or important stories.

Also it's kind of hard to read the tenor of that conversation because they distorted the woman's voice so hard that she sounds like a Lenny Henry character.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Republican Vampire posted:

Also it's kind of hard to read the tenor of that conversation because they distorted the woman's voice so hard that she sounds like a Lenny Henry character.

There were several times during that segment that her voice was so distorted that I couldn't tell if she was laughing or having those panicked shallow breaths one gets when one is beginning to feel hysterical/about to cry.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Republican Vampire posted:

Hahaha that's not going to happen. TAL is now a serious journalism show about serious journalisms, and a lot of their older, better content can't be rerun these days because of the cost of fact-checking and amending something that old.

What? Where did you come up with that theory? And what would they even need to fact check in a show about summer camp or whatever in the first place?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

cbirdsong posted:

They only have one episode in the feed because they'd like you to buy access to the rest of them through their app, or to buy them individually from various places. The episode this week is a rerun, so that's what's in there right now. It's a bit of an antiquated model these days. I wish they had a no-reruns feed.

Yeah, the only comfort is that they're available free on the website, and the app was free when I got it (I think it's three bucks now) and they're free to listen to in there.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

What? Where did you come up with that theory? And what would they even need to fact check in a show about summer camp or whatever in the first place?

Ira Glass himself said, ages ago, that a lot of their content wouldn't have flown if they'd been fact checking it to the standard they are now. He said so in a Washington Post interview after the whole Mike Daisey thing blew up. The most they can dedicate to a rerun in terms of resources is a couple follow-up phone calls so that Ira can say "So and so died" or "so and so got accepted to college x" or whatever. So it doesn't take a huge stretch of imagination to realize that fact checking old-rear end stories to their current standard would take a huge amount of resources that'd miss the whole loving point of reruns.

So I guess I came up with it by reading the loving news?

The Midniter posted:

There were several times during that segment that her voice was so distorted that I couldn't tell if she was laughing or having those panicked shallow breaths one gets when one is beginning to feel hysterical/about to cry.

Yeah I think this is the crux of it. You can't tell if she's laughing because what the gently caress else can you do in a situation like that, or sobbing.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Not liking Serial. It's hard enough to keep the basic facts down especially when each episode seems to be built less on information and more on leveraging audience speculation. Simple timelines would be a godsend. Every episode seems to surprise us with a basic fact that throws everything out of whack. The Adnan bias is ridiculous as well. The audience is forced to indulge all sorts of nonsense related to Adnan but Jay isn't allotted basic common sense. It makes a better story covering the plight of an innocent imprisoned man but it feels like they are forcing the story. I imagine we're headed toward some late season twist that flips everything on it's head making all previous episodes null.

I've only listened to each episode once so I'm probably missing a few points but here are my issues with the show so far:

Hae failed to pick up her cousin after school. She was found strangled but not sexually assaulted. Her car was not stolen. Her body had to be buried the same night as the storm would make burial difficult. These circumstances eliminate a stranger as a perpetrator and makes a the killer likely a student. I know Jay had to be involved but eliminating outside suspects removes a large burden.

Adnan gave his car and his new cell phone to a drug dealer to ensure that his close friend got a birthday present. He will later claim that he barely knew him. If Jay really wanted to set up Adnan he now has all the tools to do so but we end up with a really circumstantial case.Jay pinning the murder on Adnan at any point is risky as he would likely have a reasonable alibi like being at track practice or being seen by a security camera.

Jay's story make sense too. I can see Adnan grumbling about Hae breaking his heart and talking about killing her when sharing a joint. Jay didn't take it seriously until it happened and then went crazy making 36 calls on a borrowed cell phone. The police even met in a Pizza Hut with someone who supposedly had heard Adnan talking about killing Hae.

It's been 15 years and people's stories have shifted but they seem to offer contradictory pictures of Adnan. Smoking weed and renting hotel rooms for sex aren't that far off the charts but his innocence seems to be built entirely on his strength of character. Hae was his first kiss and by the end of the year he was a player? Laughing off his parent's lecture at the dance seemed peculiarly tone deaf. Hae was clearly struggling with that issue. His faith seems to rapidly change depending on the story. Hae's friends make him out to be extremely clingy making jealousy as a motive sound reasonable.

Mr.S likely found the body while streaking or fishing. He didn't get along with the police but still felt motivated to tell them he found a body. He needed a workable cover story and we got the whole bathroom break nonsense. One could speculate that Adnan would of dug a grave for the body beforehand but I imagine he just snapped. The body was buried just barely of the main drag.Rather than carry such a heavy and dangerous load through the woods they ventured until they felt slightly safe and dug a shallow grave.

Asia's story has issues as well. She sends a letter the day Adnan gets arrested and the following day as well. The letters seem to provide an alibi but are filled with nonsense that makes it hard to take them seriously.I can see a lawyer not using them in court. 15 years later none of the three seems really sure they saw Adnan that day. Asia states that her friends were several hours late picking her up. It was 3 in the afternoon,when exactly were they supposed to pick her up? If Adnan was checking his email why wasn't his login logged?

The most damning evidence remains that Adnan can't remember what he did during the day his ex went missing. The police even questioned him that day and he can't even remember basic facts. He stated he needed a ride other witnesses corroborate this. He later switches his story He had no car at the time. He had a reasonable motive and it's hard to see him not being involved.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've been listening to Serial and enjoying it, but I sort of gave up following it very closely around episode 2. I figure there will be something at the end that wraps it up, and like the above poster, assume that if I follow every last detail, there will be twists that nullify that work. I'm also pretty sure of two things:

1. It's a bit biased toward Adnan because he seems like such a swell guy.
2. He's the most likely suspect so far and I think he did it. But I'm waiting for that Plot! Twist!

One thing this podcast does that I like is exposing some of the procedural workings of the crime detection and court systems, as well as the (necessary?) biases of those involved. For example, it's not really an American murder police's job to be fair, his job is to find the most likely suspect and send that to prosecution. It's prosecution's job to do their best to convict. To that end, you have detectives and lawyers who basically have to hold true to the stories they've come up with to describe the murder, because their job is to speak for the dead, not give the suspects a fair shake. The court/judge/jury system is supposed to ensure the fair shake, and the defense lawyer is supposed to balance out the biased attacks of the prosecution with those of its own.

It opens questions about how hosed up that is as a system as well. The horror of being an innocent person caught up in legal fiction in search of a scapegoat is pretty compelling and scary.

So yeah, it's not fantastic, and the structure is meandering, but it's good and I'm going to keep listening.

e: I don't like how the podcast brushed away Hae's current boyfriend, because they couldn't get him to consent to interview. It seemed like, "We couldn't get airtime with the dude, so let's just mention him in passing." So he's not a suspect, then? Am I missing something?

There's this chapter in Dave Simon's Homicide, and it's parroted in the TV show as well, where a homicide detective basically says, "If you're talking to us at all, you're insane. You should get a lawyer." This reinforces it: don't ever, ever talk to the police (or This American Life producers). Clam up, lawyer up.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 18, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

e: I don't like how the podcast brushed away Hae's current boyfriend, because they couldn't get him to consent to interview. It seemed like, "We couldn't get airtime with the dude, so let's just mention him in passing." So he's not a suspect, then? Am I missing something?

He had an alibi.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

straight jerkers posted:

He had an alibi.

Yeah, and so did Adnan.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

doctorfrog posted:

One thing this podcast does that I like is exposing some of the procedural workings of the crime detection and court systems, as well as the (necessary?) biases of those involved. For example, it's not really an American murder police's job to be fair, his job is to find the most likely suspect and send that to prosecution. It's prosecution's job to do their best to convict. To that end, you have detectives and lawyers who basically have to hold true to the stories they've come up with to describe the murder, because their job is to speak for the dead, not give the suspects a fair shake. The court/judge/jury system is supposed to ensure the fair shake, and the defense lawyer is supposed to balance out the biased attacks of the prosecution with those of its own.

It opens questions about how hosed up that is as a system as well. The horror of being an innocent person caught up in legal fiction in search of a scapegoat is pretty compelling and scary.
Yeah, I'm also reminded of that bit on TAL where that cop realizes years after the fact that a teenaged girl gave a false confession which ruined her life, because he was so certain he had the right person that he kept the interrogation going until she thought there was no way out.

I, too, have dropped any interest in following the story to determine whether or not he is guilty. In fact, my guess is that's kind of the point of the series. It's not like all the TV shows filled with a variety of forensic evidence. A large portion of people who are in prison for crimes like murder are in there due to circumstantial evidence, and you can turn over leaves and look over documents and make enquiries forever, unsure what is an important clue and what is a meaningless distraction, and you rarely will have a clear cut "he did it" or "he didn't do it" at the end.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I'm still there for Serial. But while I appreciate that the the length benefits the story in some ways (e.g. like in the first episode where they show how absurd it is ask what someone did 6 weeks ago), the show still feels a bit drawn out. It could be 2/3 the length and work just as well. There's a bit too much emphasizing points, listening to tapes and the narrator listing her thoughts.

One question: I missed it in episode 3 and couldn't find the point again - why did Asia recant?

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Is the first part of this week TAL (538) a repeat? I remember hearing this story about black/Hispanic kids getting suspended disproportionately more often than their white/asian peers.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Secx posted:

Is the first part of this week TAL (538) a repeat? I remember hearing this story about black/Hispanic kids getting suspended disproportionately more often than their white/asian peers.

When they repeat shows they use the old episode number/it doesn't show up at the top of the archive list, so no.

I think they have included sections from older shows in newer shows sometimes, but none spring to mind.

hngkong
Nov 19, 2003

outlier posted:

One question: I missed it in episode 3 and couldn't find the point again - why did Asia recant?

If I remember correctly, it was because Adnan had been found guilty, and therefore he must have done it in her mind.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

outlier posted:

Rabia's blog explains it better.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/splitthemoon/2014/10/serial-episodes-1-2-the-alibi-mystery-and-dating-on-the-dl/

Asia is where the six week time issue should come into play. It's not unreasonable to believe that she could remember that afternoon. A missing student and a surprise snow day are pretty uncommon but it's still pretty sketchy. The timing of her letters and the openness with which she talked to a popular boy/ suspected killer seems really wrong note.

If Adnan doesn't remember where he was at the time of the murder (or is guilty) I imagine He would be hesitant to tie himself to any specific place. Making the letters even riskier to present at trial.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Poopy Palpy posted:

Yeah, and so did Adnan.

But Adnan's alibi couldn't be corroborated because the coach couldn't say for sure if he was at practice. Don (Hae's new boyfriend) was at work and his boss could vouch for him being there during the murder if I'm remembering the episode correctly.

I'm really digging Serial actually. I don't mind that it can be a little meandering I think it gives a pretty good look at what's going on under the hood of the justice system.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

outlier posted:

I'm still there for Serial. But while I appreciate that the the length benefits the story in some ways (e.g. like in the first episode where they show how absurd it is ask what someone did 6 weeks ago), the show still feels a bit drawn out. It could be 2/3 the length and work just as well. There's a bit too much emphasizing points, listening to tapes and the narrator listing her thoughts.

See, I think that's where the show really shines. It's highlighting the scrutiny that can go into murder trials, and how easily little details can be missed that could crack a case wide open. Yeah, there's a good amount of meandering, but it's engaging enough to connect all the pieces of info in your mind to allow you to make your own assessments. She goes into insane detail because she feels the justice system didn't. Very good point, though.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
This weeks planet money about the moronic governor of Kansas who decides to implement a statewide trickle down economics experiment is great :allears:

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I really like Serial and am excited to see where it is going. Have they said how long this "season" is? It's hard to tell if we're well into the middle of the story now, or still at the beginning. It seems like we're still pretty far from some of the events in the tease of the season at the end of Episode 1.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm an easy scare, and I used to listen to old old radio shows as a kid. Lights Out Everyone was a favorite of mine. So the Snap Judgment Spooked V episode is just a whole lot of fun. Makes me want to look up Lights Out Everyone or those old radio plays of Poe stories.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

doctorfrog posted:

I'm an easy scare, and I used to listen to old old radio shows as a kid. Lights Out Everyone was a favorite of mine. So the Snap Judgment Spooked V episode is just a whole lot of fun. Makes me want to look up Lights Out Everyone or those old radio plays of Poe stories.

I LOVE their halloween episodes. I remember the one which opened with a guy performing an autopsy and he felt like the body kept "moving" when he wasn't looking. He gets a call from his boss the next morning saying something to the effect I hope you wore your PPE, that guy was riddled with flesh eating bacteria!

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

mancalamania posted:

I really like Serial and am excited to see where it is going. Have they said how long this "season" is? It's hard to tell if we're well into the middle of the story now, or still at the beginning. It seems like we're still pretty far from some of the events in the tease of the season at the end of Episode 1.

They said it is a 12 part series.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

MrWilderheap posted:

Don (Hae's new boyfriend) was at work and his boss could vouch for him being there during the murder if I'm remembering the episode correctly.

I'm willing to let this go because I'm mostly listening for entertainment like most others, but even that's not satisfying in a way. Do we have more details than that? Are there time records verifying it? Do we know of the relationship between Don and his boss? Could someone have "punched in" for him? Maybe the boss owed him a li'l favor or just doesn't care? Maybe they smoked weed by the dumpster and did each other a solid. I could go on, of course. It just rang a few alarm bells for me. They each had a personal relationship with the victim before she died, and we focus on one, and the other one hardly at all. One's in jail and very chatty, the other shuts down and doesn't want to talk. Which one is better for the radio? I don't think there's a conspiracy, and so far, Adnan is still the most likely suspect, just that I'm not 100% satisfied.

Most likely it's a dead end not worth looking at. If he's innocent, it's definitely not worth rooting up his life for the sake of the podcast. But there's a slight possibility it's the cops going, "This guy's the one, forget Don." And then the TAL producer going, "There's no Don material here for the podcast, focus on the material stuff."

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 25, 2014

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
My question is this:

The night of the 12th Adnan calls Krista from the cell tower near his house (which is also near the school and Best Buy) and talks to her for about 20 minutes. You can see he tried to reach her earlier in the day and she wasn't home (three second calls). He then immediately calls Hae from L608C, which is much further south along I95, heading into downtown Baltimore.

Clearly he called Krista while driving, as there's only a minute or so between calls, then called Hae. Hae's not there, the call is only 2 seconds. He calls Hae almost exactly a half hour later from downtown Baltimore, then a half hour after that from a tower near Jay's house (which is along 695, he could just be driving home) and they talk for about 2 minutes. Presumably this is when Adnan gave her his number.

There aren't any more calls until he phones Jay the next morning around 10:30.

So what was Adnan doing driving into downtown Baltimore at midnight on a school night? What's that about?

edit: the phone call list and interactive map are here http://serialpodcast.org/maps

bad day fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 25, 2014

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
I haven't gone too far down the rabbit hole, since it looks pretty spoilery, but for those inclined there seems to be a thriving subreddit devoted to discussing and piecing together Serial episodes as they air.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

ghableska posted:

I haven't gone too far down the rabbit hole, since it looks pretty spoilery, but for those inclined there seems to be a thriving subreddit devoted to discussing and piecing together Serial episodes as they air.

I didn't realize they had a subreddit for this. Its pretty interesting - Rabia and Adnan's brother post there. I've just read through this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcast/comments/2k529r/adnan_is_a_psychopath_close_friends/

http://www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcast/comments/2k7fqr/a_summary_and_evaluation_of_all_the_psychopath/

which are pretty interesting and supposedly from people who are connected to the case.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I almost think it would be better if there was confirmation that Adnan did it. Or at the very least it didn't start off with the implication that she's there to clear his name. Then there could be a discussion of how the justice system works, and how people's perceptions of someone can be right or wrong [and how their biases might affect that].

Based on what we know (which isn't much really), it seems really likely Adnan did it, Jay helped him, and neither of them will tell the full story. The legal case against him was difficult to prove, however, and -- partly due to his own lawyer's incompetence, partly due to a poor narrative constructed by the state -- he maybe didn't get a fair trial.

The question of how the law should operate when all parts of it are imperfect, and whether that produced the best result anyway, might be a good enough show. Instead we get a lot of protesting his innocence based mostly on criticism of how the case was handled.

The pro-Adnan side seems to want to discredit Jay without accusing him directly, and yet doesn't have many other people to point at as suspects. Unless there was some violent confrontation somehow unnoticed by everyone at the school, or on the way to where Hae Min was going, it had to be someone she knew. The show itself so far, although it's not explicitly pro-Adnan, seems to want to discredit him as well, since from the start it put them in a double-Jesus situation. There's no reason they aren't both lying, just about different things.

I suspect that Jay is probably more of an accomplice than he stated, and the police and the state's lawyers likely knew it, but needed to get him to work with them or a killer might have gone free. He had a vested interest in lying about his own involvement. If you eliminate his version of the story, you eliminate all the problems with the constructed timeline. But then there is likely no grounds for conviction, since nobody else is available to present evidence.

Maybe it is better that the truth is unknowable. I'd suppose the story wouldn't draw as big of an audience without the central question, and might well have more staying power that way.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 28, 2014

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

TEHJOE posted:

. . . Serial. . . . Simple timelines would be a godsend.

Here's one that I found; possibly there are better ones out there:
http://www.ibtimes.com/pulse/serial-recap-adnan-syed-jay-hae-min-lee-whole-case-so-far-explained-one-interactive-1715790

Personally I'm enjoying the show. The multiple stories of the witnesses, the opportunity to listen to them and Adnan, and SK's overt uncertainty convey a feeling of trying to work out a mystery based on unreliable and circumstantial evidence, even though there's already a conviction. Last time I checked, it was topping the podcast charts, so I guess it's not surprising there's interest here as well. What is somewhat surprising, though, is that there's not a separate thread; shouldn't there be?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

What is somewhat surprising, though, is that there's not a separate thread; shouldn't there be?
The first post on this page was from more than two weeks ago, I don't see the need. It's a 12 part show right? It'll be over by mid-December, I think the TAL thread is fine to keep discussion in.

P.S Adnan definitely did it

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Hoops posted:

What does it feel like to be so wrong, Hoops?

...I was totally convinced of Adnan's innocence until the most recent episode (6). And now I'm not so sure. I think Jay is the key to understanding the entire case, and I can't shake the idea that he (Jay) is witholding some essential information or context.

Regardless, too, of Adnan's innocence or guilt, the entire case seems to have been catastrophically mismanaged.

An aside -- I saw Ira Glass last week in Cincinnati on his "Reinventing Radio" lecture circuit. If you get a chance, absolutely go see it. He is a wonderful live speaker, captivating, hilarious, insightful -- and profoundly compassionate. It was such a privilege to see him. (He also talked a little about Serial, but only insofar as to say "Have you heard episode six yet? NO? JUST YOU WAIT.")

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Bitchkrieg posted:

What does it feel like to be so wrong, Hoops?

...I was totally convinced of Adnan's innocence until the most recent episode (6). And now I'm not so sure. I think Jay is the key to understanding the entire case, and I can't shake the idea that he (Jay) is witholding some essential information or context.

Regardless, too, of Adnan's innocence or guilt, the entire case seems to have been catastrophically mismanaged.

I felt the same way. I thought he was innocent but now I'm beginning to think he totally did it. I'm curious to see where this goes now.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
I have a hard time believing Jay wasn't involved in some way. In the last episode, I started to think that maybe they did it together and then Jay through Adnan under the bus afterwards.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Why wouldn't the police have put Jay in jail as well for accessory to murder? It doesn't make sense.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

I have a hard time believing Jay wasn't involved in some way. In the last episode, I started to think that maybe they did it together and then Jay through Adnan under the bus afterwards.

Jay also has a fairly long rap sheet that includes multiple domestic violence arrests. I wish Koenig would push a little harder into his testimony (here's hoping that's an upcoming episode!), because he seems to have the poorest reliability (and is who the case rests on).

Brekelefuw posted:

Why wouldn't the police have put Jay in jail as well for accessory to murder? It doesn't make sense.

I can't remember if it's mentioned explicitly, but I suspect Jay received immunity in exchange for testifying against Adnan.

EDIT: Jay was convicted as an accessory to murder, but his sentence (5 years) was suspended and he had to serve two years' probation, instead.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 3, 2014

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm really enjoying how Sarah Koenig is presenting the show and unfolding the details, so I'm not even going to touch the Reddit or any other potential spoilers. But the Nisha call really implicates Adnan in a big way. Though it is weird that Nisha remembers the call referencing the video store that Jay hadn't yet started working at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Hoops posted:

I've been passively listening, so I may be missing some detail, but my sense is, at this point, (i) Jay and Adnan did it together or were more involved together than they are letting on and (ii) from a legal perspective there was reasonable doubt.

• Locked thread