Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Colonial Air Force posted:

I was really waiting for the crew from Burn Notice to show up in Miami.

Coulson would totally be Sam's Old S.H.I.E.L.D. Buddy who needed a favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DarklyDreaming posted:

Coulson would totally be Sam's Old S.H.I.E.L.D. Buddy who needed a favor

Nah, the show hasnt reverted to the status quo within 3 episodes of the season starting, burn notice characters wouldnt know how to cope with that.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Gotham is the new Agents of SHIELD.

Agents of SHIELD is the new Arrow.

Arrow is the new...

...I dunno, but it's great.

Really liking comic book TV shows this season!

This sounds right. What would Flash be?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

radlum posted:

This sounds right. What would Flash be?

Flash did what none of the others managed and hit the ground running from the first episode.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Regy Rusty posted:

Flash did what none of the others managed and hit the ground running from the first episode.

You have no idea I happy I was that he got the costume in the first episode, and may get his name by the fifth.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think The Flash kind of cheated a little bit, since it's a continuation of Arrow. It started off as strong as it did because it benefited from all the lessons they learned making two seasons of Arrow.

To bring it back to a (slightly) more thread-appropriate topic, I hope that Marvel does the same and keeps in mind the lessons of Agents of SHIELD while making Daredevil. If that comes out of the gate as strong as The Flash it'd be amazing.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Phylodox posted:

I think The Flash kind of cheated a little bit, since it's a continuation of Arrow. It started off as strong as it did because it benefited from all the lessons they learned making two seasons of Arrow.

To bring it back to a (slightly) more thread-appropriate topic, I hope that Marvel does the same and keeps in mind the lessons of Agents of SHIELD while making Daredevil. If that comes out of the gate as strong as The Flash it'd be amazing.

I heard the footage of Daredevil they showed at the NY Comic Con killed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mikeraskol posted:

I heard the footage of Daredevil they showed at the NY Comic Con killed.

I was there, and it totally did.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
What was Fitz's logic for having the dumb non tech savvy guy help him fix that virus on the ship?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Timett posted:

What was Fitz's logic for having the dumb non tech savvy guy help him fix that virus on the ship?

The brain damage effected his motor skills so he couldn't mess with the wires without doing something wrong

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

The brain damage effected his motor skills so he couldn't mess with the wires without doing something wrong

I think he also said that the others we busy with other things, so that left Trainspotting...

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Also all the smart people were busy repairing other parts of the bus.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
He literally says it is because Trainspotting is a technological idiot and as such he will have an easier time using him through simple instructions.

SoFarGone
Nov 2, 2011
Living well is the best revenge.
He totally shot the dog, right?
http://www.blastr.com/2014-9-23/exclusive-actor-brett-dalton-weighs-evil-grant-marvels-agents-shield

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The dumb argument wasn't about whether Ward shot the dog or not. That was ambiguous. The dumb argument was because some people though for some dumb reason that Garrett shot the dog when it was clear that Ward was the one looking through the scope.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Deadpool posted:

The dumb argument wasn't about whether Ward shot the dog or not. That was ambiguous. The dumb argument was because some people though for some dumb reason that Garrett shot the dog when it was clear that Ward was the one looking through the scope.

But isn't the argument that if Ward didn't shoot the dog he isn't a complete psychopathic killer?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Kraps posted:

But isn't the argument that if Ward didn't shoot the dog he isn't a complete psychopathic killer?

... And season 2 has shown that he TOTALLY is.

So can we stop with the dog crap already? he obviously shot it, just like he totally intended for Fitz and Simmons to die.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Deadpool posted:

I don't know, people went nuts at me when I suggested that he hadn't shot the dog.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

WarLocke posted:

... And season 2 has shown that he TOTALLY is.

So can we stop with the dog crap already? he obviously shot it, just like he totally intended for Fitz and Simmons to die.

Except he didn't, because an interview with Brett Dalton was literally just posted in which it was explicitly stated that he didn't.

I agree that he intended to kill Fitzsimmons though.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

In that it's pretty bad but shows potential if the writing improves? I agree.

Gotham is infuriating to watch as it's just on the cusp of being a good show.

After the pilot I was at peace with Gotham being eternally terrible. I don't think it's a good show at all, and I still watch it, but it's not hatewatching, because I love how bad it is and don't feel like it's wasted potential. Yeah it coulda been a good show, but they decided to take things in a different direction artistically.

The trashiness is in its DNA. This differs from Shield where they were trying to make a good show and it hurt me to watch them flail until they figured things out.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ward is an irredeemable psychotic murderer and I swear to god if the show puts him on a path to redemption I'll... type an angrily worded letter to the creators.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is at heart a comic book show. Villains reform all the time in comics. Most of the time it's temporary but it still happens. I would be very surprised if they didn't try and do a storyline like that in the show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Deakul posted:

Ward is an irredeemable psychotic murderer and I swear to god if the show puts him on a path to redemption I'll... type an angrily worded letter to the creators.

I'm not keen to see a redemption arc either, but giving a villain a change of heart and becoming an anti hero who does good to amend for his sins is hardly unprecedented, especially in comic media.

And a strong argument can be made that ward is a highly damaged person, formed through childhood abuse, neglect at the hands of the juvenile justice system, and then psychological conditioning at the hands of Garrett. He wasn't born evil.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Ward's definitely getting at least some kind of semi-heroic redeeming moment, if not a whole arc. He's already taken the first step and accepted the fact that he did a bunch of really evil things and has no excuses or expects forgiveness for them. In TV terms that's like two scenes away from full-blown "Let me make up for my past" redemption.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm not keen to see a redemption arc either, but giving a villain a change of heart and becoming an anti hero who does good to amend for his sins is hardly unprecedented, especially in comic media.

I could totally forgive a redemption arc if Ward became the Punisher :unsmigghh:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ward being redeemed is fine, Ward and Skye having any type of relationship would be hosed up as all hell

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dexo posted:

Ward being redeemed is fine, Ward and Skye having any type of relationship would be hosed up as all hell

Definitely. I really don't want them going there. It was weird enough in buffy, it would be worse here.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think it'd be more interesting if the show went down the redemption route and showed that even if Ward has the willingness and opportunity to try and redeem himself, he won't get any forgiveness for his past misdeeds.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It'd be great if he betrayed them again the second they actually trusted him enough to give him a chance to escape.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Ward didn't give a poo poo about HYDRA, but he gave a poo poo about Garret. Given what we know about Ward's upbringing and what Garret did for him, this is understandable and you can sympathize with it. Garret took advantage of all that and made Ward do lovely things. Ward is at fault to a point, but from his perspective, he was nothing without Garret, and he couldn't just say "No, I'm going to not do these lovely things. I'm going to live my own life where I don't do lovely things." because that was either not an option for him, or he absolutely believed that was not an option for him.

So I can accept Ward getting some redemption at some point. It's interesting that even though he's being kept in a cell right now, he's actually free for the first time in his life, as cheesy as that might sound.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jamesman posted:

Ward didn't give a poo poo about HYDRA, but he gave a poo poo about Garret. Given what we know about Ward's upbringing and what Garret did for him, this is understandable and you can sympathize with it. Garret took advantage of all that and made Ward do lovely things. Ward is at fault to a point, but from his perspective, he was nothing without Garret, and he couldn't just say "No, I'm going to not do these lovely things. I'm going to live my own life where I don't do lovely things." because that was either not an option for him, or he absolutely believed that was not an option for him.

So I can accept Ward getting some redemption at some point. It's interesting that even though he's being kept in a cell right now, he's actually free for the first time in his life, as cheesy as that might sound.

Do we know yet what was so lovely about Ward's upbringing? I remember some stuff about a well in season one, but I don't think they went into a ton of detail did they? Then Garret manipulated Ward by breaking him out of jail and leaving him alone in the woods for six months, followed by his time with shield.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ward's older brother regularly beat him, and one time put Ward's younger brother in a well. Ward wanted to pull him out, but Ward's older brother wouldn't let him. The younger brother might have died. This was blamed on Ward, because the older brother is The Good Son, and Ward was sent to military camp. He escaped to try and kill his brother and burned down their house(that also might have been his older brother) but was unsuccessful.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

VDay posted:

Yeah Ward's definitely getting at least some kind of semi-heroic redeeming moment, if not a whole arc.
I actually like how it's being handled so far. Ward's character is being written as if he is at the start of a redemption arc, but absolutely every other character is very firm in their conviction that no, that is absolutely not loving happening.

I hope Ward does get redeemed and welcomed back to the team near the end of the season... only to then find out that he is 100% dedicated to Hydra, and is even better at running a long con on everyone than any of the other characters could have believed.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 19, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Didn't we hear that Ward's older brother would be appearing this season, as some kind of prominent and well-loved political figure?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
My money's on it being Talbot.
They've never met that we know of to prove or disprove, they seem similar to me, Talbot has that rear end in a top hat older brother vibe, and Coulson probably hasn't been like, "hey yo this traitorous dick is in our holding cell, you know him?"

So, it could happen.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
They've already released promo pics of his brother and it's not a double-secret surprise identity of any other character.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dexo posted:

Actually yeah, this would be my biggest issue more than him becoming Taskmaster or The Punisher.
Him having any relationships with any of the main cast really, he should always be looked at with mistrust and uncertainty.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Error 404 posted:

My money's on it being Talbot.
They've never met that we know of to prove or disprove, they seem similar to me, Talbot has that rear end in a top hat older brother vibe, and Coulson probably hasn't been like, "hey yo this traitorous dick is in our holding cell, you know him?"

So, it could happen.

Talbot is more of an endearing tough-doof than really truly evil. The "TALBOT IS HYRDA" fake-out even seemed off to me before the reveal just because he doesn't have that vibe.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I hope we get a scene where Talbot dramatically tears of his moustache to reveal he was actually X character all along. Preferably someone who looks completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Talbot's just a "by the book" soldier type who doesn't really trust any part of SHIELD due to the HYDRA infiltration. He's definitely not evil at all.

• Locked thread