Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It triggers when the year flips; so the transition from winter to spring.

As far as I can tell you're guaranteed to get bad events if you don't have an Entu and Ensi in the cap every year, but if you do then you've got a random chance to get good events or nothing.

And yes it will totally proc on enemy caps; you can siege an enemy cap during the changeover from spring to winter and you will sometimes cause the chain of bad events to proc for them (you can leave after the first one starts the chain), I did this to an AI once and it amused me greatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Well this didn't trigger last time I played so I assume if this shows up, you'll get the event.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Gentleman posted:

Well this didn't trigger last time I played so I assume if this shows up, you'll get the event.

Yep that's the first event in the chain, it should be followed by a number of +growth and +taxes and +gold events.

e: 2 spooky 4 Pangea as well as Atlantis

COME ON WORLD, COME gently caress WITH LEMURIA!

Neruz fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 15, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Impressions from Turkish Delight: The War That Never Ends

The endless Cold War between Eriu and C'tis is finally over with this counter-offensive striking back at a massive skelespam-army. 27 Marshmasters can summon a lot of undead. I just barely had enough chaff and summoned units to break this massive horde of skeletons. In the end I won because my air mages are sacred and my rainbow-pretender has enough earth paths to give reinvigoration.

With 5 mages lost against 19 mages killed, I think I came out on top. Luckily my chaff is cheap enough the losses didn't really hurt, it's just a pain to hold them alive when heavy magic is exchanged like artillery grenades on the battlefield.

Before I forget, here's the recording I made from the battle:

Skelespam vs. Thunderhammer

gently caress this. New video. Here.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 15, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

lol at the concept of Atlantis not being able to fight Lemuria, but Pangaea is the single worst faction in LA, and one of the reasons is that it's poo poo at fighting undead, so there we go.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yesssss finally I have money to spend on things I actually want!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

Impressions from Turkish Delight: The War That Never Ends

The endless Cold War between Eriu and C'tis is finally over with this counter-offensive striking back at a massive skelespam-army. 27 Marshmasters can summon a lot of undead. I just barely had enough chaff and summoned units to break this massive horde of skeletons. In the end I won because my air mages are sacred and my rainbow-pretender has enough earth paths to give reinvigoration.

With 5 mages lost against 19 mages killed, I think I came out on top. Luckily my chaff is cheap enough the losses didn't really hurt, it's just a pain to hold them alive when heavy magic is exchanged like artillery grenades on the battlefield.

Before I forget, here's the recording I made from the battle:

Please don't mind the music, I completely forgot I had my radio running and Dominions 4 isn't really important enough for me to redo the video. (Yes, I know. I'm lazy.)

Video not available :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Video not available :(

Ah poo poo those guys are fast. Let me try something. I'm using the YouTube-function to take the offending music out, hopefully this will solve the problem.

If not, I'm making (ugh) a new recording. This time with my radio switched off

Edit:

I've taken the stupid music out, the video should be available soon.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 15, 2014

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neruz posted:

Yep that's the first event in the chain, it should be followed by a number of +growth and +taxes and +gold events.

Note: Lemuria is about to wipe out both Ragha and Gath simultaneously. So uh... Help?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kurnugia posted:

Note: Lemuria is about to wipe out both Ragha and Gath simultaneously. So uh... Help?

There is no help, only spooky goasts.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Whether you're into gate camping or summoning skellingtons.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Kurnugia posted:

Wrong game. I'm not Neruz, I don't make brag posts about beating really bad armies as lemurs, I just giggle about how I'm fighting 6 people at once and it's not even year 3

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

garth ferengi posted:

Wrong game. I'm not Neruz, I don't make brag posts about beating really bad armies as lemurs, I just giggle about how I'm fighting 6 people at once and it's not even year 3

Indeed, in the game where I'm Lemurs and you're Atlantis (literally the best nation for fighting Lemurs) this happened:

:ghost:

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

You beat an army that was nothing but mercenary chaff with some priests that were preaching away your dominion. It's really cool and good that you think I went AI because of you and not because grrgoons was a super lovely game with garbage settings though

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

garth ferengi posted:

You beat an army that was nothing but mercenary chaff with some priests that were preaching away your dominion. It's really cool and good that you think I went AI because of you and not because grrgoons was a super lovely game with garbage settings though

I don't recall saying I thought you went AI because of me, I just recall saying that you lost over a hundred mans and a thousand gold worth of mercs and mages to 2 Lemur Consuls with a death\earth bless.

As Atlantis.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

It's almost as if lemurs are really good at killing unscripted chaff and things that aren't atlantis' national troops, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Your brag posts are almost as bad as Libluini's

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

garth ferengi posted:

It's almost as if lemurs are really good at killing unscripted chaff and things that aren't atlantis' national troops, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Your brag posts are almost as bad as Libluini's

Watching all those Tungaliiks fatigue themselves out failing to hit dust to dust was pretty entertaining.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gently caress YouTube and its retarded dumb functions, there's a reason you should always use your own software for editing. gently caress goddamnit.

Here's the final real video I wanted to post and the other video never happened:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
lol the two worst posters in the thread goin' at it hell yeah

also ea atlantis owns and i'm still grumpy jon didn't let me pick war shamblers for those sweet sweet basalt spears

edit: skelespam is the most annoying poo poo to deal with

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

A new version of pudmod, with a new game to go along with it!

Current complete feature list.

Not a whole lot new in this version, beyond making EA Atlantis a surface nation, thanks to jbrereton's mod. Might move other things to the surface later, and I'm thinking I'll also make a separate mod file for EA games, to move them all to MA since EA's income/population balance is so messed up and there's no other way to fix it.

Game is up here.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What I've learned from a recent game:
If there are long lived races in the game and burden of time is cast, don't expect it to ever be dispelled. Mortals get hosed in the end.

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013
I decided to setup an Unbalance mod game, because we don't have enough random gimmick games.
Spoiler for those who wish to know what kind of unbalance will be involved.

The game is up here
PGS post with the rules is here

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
GENTLEMEN! :smugbird:

The Arena:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ZRLY9ZxMU

I think this is probably the best arena fight I've ever seen.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
It has recently come to my attention that Banish can hit your own undeads as well. Is this new, or did I simply never notice with Dom 3?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

immolationsex posted:

It has recently come to my attention that Banish can hit your own undeads as well. Is this new, or did I simply never notice with Dom 3?

Very few spells are teamsafe, so you probably just didn't notice.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Oceania is so horribly low-effort that trying to reform it is really tiresome.

But progress is coming along on a mod that reunifies Oceania and Pelagia, puts the faction on land, and tries to make Oceania's units at least have slightly different descriptions to one another.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

jBrereton posted:

Oceania is so horribly low-effort that trying to reform it is really tiresome.

But progress is coming along on a mod that reunifies Oceania and Pelagia, puts the faction on land, and tries to make Oceania's units at least have slightly different descriptions to one another.

So Amphibious Pan?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Archenteron posted:

So Amphibious Pan?

Oceania is literally just underwater Pan with Bishop Fish. Interestingly their "Grove of Aphros" capitol site has an LA version that is totally unused.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Archenteron posted:

So Amphibious Pan?

Should be a unit that autosummons sharks in turmoil dominion. Maybe a chunk of meat on a stick.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Archenteron posted:

So Amphibious Pan?
No, not just amphibious Pan, that's what Oceania was before.

In EA it's now more of a Pelagia/Oceania Water/Land split, with mermen on the coasts, including a revamped merman rather than triton Pearl Guard as coastal fort-recruitable sacreds.

Pearl Kings have a landshape, and changed Capricorns to have a bit less Nature, but the same 100% AWE/10% NAWE random as before, and no path penalty on land (set cost at 380 because what they drop in terms of piss easy global access is made up for in overland utility, and the faction has good enough Moonvine Bracelet access through Pearl Mages to effectively get back to base 4 after Constr-6, which old Oceania didn't).

Dropped the Sirens and Bishop Fish as recruitment options, since they don't really work around the 5/2 underwater/coastal commander recruitment slots you get as a land nation. Might re-add them as national summons, since they're not bad units (Sirens in particular have unique mechanics), they're just awkward to fit in.

Anyway, got that faction pretty much done and very much playable today.

MA I'm still thinking about, but might take it in a more merman-focussed direction on land, with most of the Ichty-types getting forced back into the sea after Asphodel makes everyone suspicious of Satyrs, with the halfmen having to compete with the Amber Clan Tritons instead of living in sorta-harmony with the Coral Clan Tritons/Turtle Clan mermen in EA. That sound reasonable?

Main thing is to make the faction not as miserable as it is now, which is to say Very Miserable.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

:smithfrog:

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Maybe because the one guy is a prophet? I dont know.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Diabl0658 posted:

Maybe because the one guy is a prophet? I dont know.

Maybe if you're calling god you don't have time for marriages?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah once you get married the instances of you screaming OH GOD during those long winter nights tend to drop off

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
Prophets ain't got time for the ladies.

Tell me something about luck/misfortune scales. Do the worst events necessarily require a high enough misfortune scale? Or do those still have a non-zero chance of occurring, regardless of scale?

I was wondering about the attack rituals that cause blights and other stuff that are supposed to look like natural events. Could the target take a look at his/her luck scales and determine whether it was a natural event or somebody else sabotaging them?

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

scalded schlong posted:

Yeah once you get married the instances of you screaming OH GOD during those long winter nights tend to drop off

nice

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

immolationsex posted:

Tell me something about luck/misfortune scales. Do the worst events necessarily require a high enough misfortune scale? Or do those still have a non-zero chance of occurring, regardless of scale?

The absolute worst events all require Misfortune 2 - 3 and often some other negative scale as well. That said:

immolationsex posted:

I was wondering about the attack rituals that cause blights and other stuff that are supposed to look like natural events. Could the target take a look at his/her luck scales and determine whether it was a natural event or somebody else sabotaging them?

I'm fairly sure all the spells that send an event send events that have no particular restrictions and can happen at any time. So no.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

immolationsex posted:

Prophets ain't got time for the ladies.

Yeah, there's a (massive) table of events, and the ones at the peak of good/bad tend to rely on Luck/Misfortune, and have an interaction with your other scales too.

So for example, unfortunate Growth events can be stuff like "Druid shows up, his vine ogres gently caress with you", while unfortunate death events are truly heinous stuff like plagues that can kill 60% of the population overnight. There are some very nice events with high Luck, Death and Order, which basically amount to "someone dies and leaves you all of his loads of stuff", but the problem you have running that kind of build is that sometimes the Death spreads before the Luck and you get some really bad events in the meanwhile.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Death also kills pop over time and there is no natural pop growth so taking Death scales means you will steadily lose income and if you end up stuck for awhile and unable to expand for some reason then you can end up with no goddamn gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Neruz posted:

Death also kills pop over time and there is no natural pop growth so taking Death scales means you will steadily lose income and if you end up stuck for awhile and unable to expand for some reason then you can end up with no goddamn gold.

Never take death unless you are

• Spooky goasts
  • Spooky skelingtons
  • A nation that plans agressive, constant expansion from day 1. Like Mictlan!

• Locked thread