Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Rasaad's quest can be found in Baldurs Gate itself. So no need to worry about that for a while if you are still just at Nashkel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Well I'm glad I kept him around anyway because he's fast enough that I used him to kite Drizzt in circles for 15 minutes while everyone else threw rocks at him. Good on you, Rasaad, I guess

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Skwirl posted:

Specifically, http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/930017-icewind-dale-the-collection/faqs/8494 has all the info you need. Though you can ignore the bit about updating to the latest version assuming you have the GOG version.

Thanks for this. I was missing only one badge but googling did not help me determine which it was (where you place the badges, it is the fourth from left). So I started IWD 2 after not playing it in 10 years or so. I'm glad I kept all my old games. Adjusting to the weirdness between the two games. My cleric starts out with no healing spells?

The setting and graphics and music still hold up in these games.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've been bashing my head against Baldur's Gate trying to progress through it, but I'm up to the Cloakwood Mines now and I just want to abandon it and go to BG2. It's not even the tomes that make me want to bother, I have absolutely no shame in cheating up my stats with EEKeeper or something... it's that I really want to experience the story. There is barely anything there, though!

My PC is a Cavalier, and I'm using Branwen, Neera, Imoen, and Kivan. Trying to work my way towards Yeslick. In BG2 I want to use Anomen, Keldorn, Jan, Neera, and Mazzy.

Am I the only one who wishes they would've skipped IWD: EE and just went straight for IWD2? I love IWD2's pseudo-3.0. I can't help it.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Does IWD:EE still have the insane rest restrictions of the original game?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Also, this is kind of weird, but it bugs me that Dorn is a Blackguard. Like, if you want to play an Evil party you may try out the new kit and the new NPC... and you'd be the same class. It just kind of irks me just a little bit. It makes it so you probably either don't want to be a Blackguard, or don't want to take Dorn.

I also really like Neera, but "eat flaming... or... possibly frosty- DEATH!" is a terrible line.

(A full playthrough of BG scares me just because of the constant -> die, reload, buffs, try again, die, reload, buffs, etc. I've never beat either game, and I'm the furthest I've ever been in BG1. It's just frustrating to constantly buff before every big fight.)

Edit2: I really still want to play Temple of Elemental Evil. Does it work on modern systems? How long is it? What level do you end up at? I think it'd be kind of boring if you topped off at level 4 or something.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 19, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If you want to experience a story, ToEE is not the thing

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Firstborn posted:

I've been bashing my head against Baldur's Gate trying to progress through it, but I'm up to the Cloakwood Mines now and I just want to abandon it and go to BG2. It's not even the tomes that make me want to bother, I have absolutely no shame in cheating up my stats with EEKeeper or something... it's that I really want to experience the story. There is barely anything there, though!

My PC is a Cavalier, and I'm using Branwen, Neera, Imoen, and Kivan. Trying to work my way towards Yeslick. In BG2 I want to use Anomen, Keldorn, Jan, Neera, and Mazzy.

Am I the only one who wishes they would've skipped IWD: EE and just went straight for IWD2? I love IWD2's pseudo-3.0. I can't help it.

The story speeds up quite a bit after the cloakwood mines. There's a lot of optional content inside Baldur's Gate (the city) but it can be skipped if you're feeling impatient.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Firstborn posted:

Also, this is kind of weird, but it bugs me that Dorn is a Blackguard. Like, if you want to play an Evil party you may try out the new kit and the new NPC... and you'd be the same class. It just kind of irks me just a little bit. It makes it so you probably either don't want to be a Blackguard, or don't want to take Dorn.

On the other hand in BG2:EE they cleverly avoided the issue by making Hexxat an ordinary single class thief which nobody would ever want to be.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Does hexxat have good enough stats for dual classing?

(Never played the EEs)

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Hexxat has 20 str and dex so I imagine she can dual to a fighter pretty well. Only 14 in int and 12 in wis so sadly no casting.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Um, she has 14 str / 16 dex, not 20/20. It's also impossible to dual class her, but to explain why would be a spoiler!

Reason: her race is not human but vampire, only humans can dual-class

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Does IWD:EE still have the insane rest restrictions of the original game?

I hope not. Dragon's Eye is seriously the most annoying area in the game because you can't rest on the last two floors for some arbitrary reason.

A few more observations about IWD from what's probably my 7th or 8th playthrough of the game, albeit the first in a while:

-If you're playing through the game again, instead of going with Heart of Fury mode, start a new party on Insane mode. Enemies do double damage but give double XP, so you level up extremely fast, and the game adds extra enemies to certain encounters to toughen them up. (Remember that one ogre in the cave near Easthaven? Now there's like five.) The fact that a common orc can chunk your tank in the blink of an eye makes the game less about pure melee DPS and more about effective crowd control - you'd better bring some serious spellcasting power.

-It's amazing how the addition of a handful of spells turn Druids from "seriously underpowered" to "arguably best class in the game." Sunscorch is possibly the best 1st-level damage spell in the game, Alicorn Lance gives the class something worthwhile to take at level 2, Spike Stones is all sorts of useful, and that's just the first three levels. It really makes me not want to go back to playing a druid in BG2, where the class is relegated to second-rate backup tank/Entangle spammer.

-The battle music in the final level of Dragon's Eye is seriously the best battle music in any game, ever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I hope not. Dragon's Eye is seriously the most annoying area in the game because you can't rest on the last two floors for some arbitrary reason.
Saving the jailed adventurers on the second last floor pays dividends, especially since even if you go back to the third floor the rest encounter rate is all but unmanageable.

I still can't find the heart to patch it out.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Does Imoen get any story or dialogue or anything in ToB? I'm playing through BG2, and am about as far as I've ever been (Spellhold,) and am just wondering if having her around will pay off aside from having another mage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TequilaJesus posted:

Does Imoen get any story or dialogue or anything in ToB? I'm playing through BG2, and am about as far as I've ever been (Spellhold,) and am just wondering if having her around will pay off aside from having another mage.

Yeah, but if you don't want her in SoA you don't need to keep her around, you can get her back early in ToB

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but if you don't want her in SoA you don't need to keep her around, you can get her back early in ToB
I like the fact that if you have Imoen join your party in the maze under Spellhold you can immediately kick her out and she'll happily leave the party and immediately go to the Copper Coronet. The game doesn't punish you in any way for doing that. Maybe the PC should have followed her instead of mucking about with pirate ships or portals to the Underdark. :)

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Firstborn posted:

Just to add to what everyone else said, I think BG1 is more like horning in on a fairly good preexisting story, and BG2 is more like being the main character in your own cool and more colorful story. Going though BG1--especially finishing the Cloakwood Mines--gives you pieces of an overarching plot that you can put together yourself, whereas BG2 makes you the center of everything that happens. Neither is a bad thing, and I far preferred BG2 the first time around, but there is a certain charm to BG1 now that I'm playing it again. Give it a bit longer, and if you still feel bored with it once you're wandering through Baldur's Gate itself, then maybe move on if you want to.

Extremely irrelevant BG1 spoilers from just outside the city itself: I never don't give Farmer Brun 100g. Even when I'm trying to play an evil douchebag I just feel so bad for the poor guy. (And I always have like 50 grand by the time I get here anyway.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I think that BGI suffers more from the tedium, poor balance and random die-in-one-hit combat of 2nd edition D&D, not that 3/3.5 were much better. BG2 always starts you at a respectable level, and it's more focused in many ways. I like the open wilderness maps of BG1, personally speaking, but starting the game as a sorcerer with 6 HP at most and one level 1 spell is less than auspicious.

Sometimes I wish that BG1 had a thing like NWN1 where there is a tutorial that basically automatically gets you up to level 3 so you can start out as something tougher than a wet paper towel. It would need to be skippable so as not to burden repeat playthroughs, but I've often wanted something like that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that BGI suffers more from the tedium, poor balance and random die-in-one-hit combat of 2nd edition D&D, not that 3/3.5 were much better. BG2 always starts you at a respectable level, and it's more focused in many ways. I like the open wilderness maps of BG1, personally speaking, but starting the game as a sorcerer with 6 HP at most and one level 1 spell is less than auspicious.

Not with a mod that allows casters to use bows :smug:

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

JustJeff88 posted:

Sometimes I wish that BG1 had a thing like NWN1 where there is a tutorial that basically automatically gets you up to level 3 so you can start out as something tougher than a wet paper towel. It would need to be skippable so as not to burden repeat playthroughs, but I've often wanted something like that.

The wilderness maps are great, but the dungeons are middling (Durlag's Tower) to horrible (the Firewine Bridge is just one boring, featureless maze) and exploring Baldur's Gate proper after the excitement of discovering all of the little secrets along the Sword Coast is just disappointing in how little interesting content the devs put in such a big city.

I much prefer BG2 even though BG1 still has a lot of nostalgia value for me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

The wilderness maps are great, but the dungeons are middling (Durlag's Tower) to horrible (the Firewine Bridge is just one boring, featureless maze) and exploring Baldur's Gate proper after the excitement of discovering all of the little secrets along the Sword Coast is just disappointing in how little interesting content the devs put in such a big city.

I much prefer BG2 even though BG1 still has a lot of nostalgia value for me.

I loved that Baldurs Gate itself felt like a "real" medieval city, it's sort of the right size even. And you can't just wander into every useless house like you can in most RPGs, which I actually liked. It stopped me wasting tons of time in empty places!

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

quote:

Oh we also announced a launch date for #IWDEE of Oct 30. That's right, just 10 more days to go. #10DaysofAlveus
— Trent Oster (@TrentOster) October 21, 2014

Airfoil fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 21, 2014

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
^ Dammit.

Don't think it's been mentioned, but....

Trent Oster @TrentOster 12 hours ago

Oh we also announced a launch date for #IWDEE of Oct 30. That's right, just 10 more days to go. #10DaysofAlveus

I'm pretty excited. My iTunes credit is ready to go.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Excited as I am, I'm probably going to hold off on IWDEE until after the first patch. There'll certainly be less bugs then the previous two releases because they've mostly got the engine running smoothly, but I'd still expect there to be at least a few major quest bugs.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

fong posted:

Excited as I am, I'm probably going to hold off on IWDEE until after the first patch.

Given Overhaul's usual speed, I'd say that means you'll be getting it around December 2015. :)

Totally understandable. My poor impulse control compelled me to pre-order, but fully expecting plenty of bugs.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I haven't been paying much attention to IWDEE, when is it due to come out?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

30th October

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

fong posted:

30th October

:eyepop:

That's in a week. Will definitely check out goons reactions to it. Thanks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Disco Infiva posted:

Literally answered 3 posts before this. Read the loving thread rear end in a top hat.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 22, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Skwirl posted:

Literally answered 3 posts before this. Read the loving thread rear end in a top hat.

You are right, so it was.

Get hosed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

You are right, so it was.

Get hosed.

You're the one in the wrong, seriously at least read the last few posts before asking a question.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Do I absolutely have to revive the final boss from BG1 in TOB? My character is chaotic good so it just seems like the wrong move to give him a piece of my soul or imoens.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Do I absolutely have to revive the final boss from BG1 in TOB? My character is chaotic good so it just seems like the wrong move to give him a piece of my soul or imoens.

I won't spoil how but if you make certain choices you can "turn" him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also giving him Imoen's soul ends up with fun stuff.

They wind up bonding since suddenly he's feeling what she was feeling, like the torture. And obsessing over his weight.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

DeathChicken posted:

Also giving him Imoen's soul ends up with fun stuff.

They wind up bonding since suddenly he's feeling what she was feeling, like the torture. And obsessing over his weight.

What? Never seen that,that's what I get foe never taking Imoen in ToB.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Taear posted:

I loved that Baldurs Gate itself felt like a "real" medieval city, it's sort of the right size even. And you can't just wander into every useless house like you can in most RPGs, which I actually liked. It stopped me wasting tons of time in empty places!

Uh, Baldur's Gate has loads of useless little houses you can wander into. Maybe not every house, but still a bunch.

Also Durlag's Tower was the best dungeon in the entire BG saga.

(also the only not-poo poo dungeon in BG1)

Orv
May 4, 2011
For all its problems, I really like Watcher's Keep for its variety of "Hey here's all this D&D poo poo we couldn't figure out how to stuff in the main game."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

verybad posted:

Uh, Baldur's Gate has loads of useless little houses you can wander into. Maybe not every house, but still a bunch.

Also Durlag's Tower was the best dungeon in the entire BG saga.

(also the only not-poo poo dungeon in BG1)

Until then I was used to every house being enterable but places being much smaller. Think Bards Tale, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So i've never really played the Baldur's Gate series before. I was wondering though, how compatible is the enhanced edition mod-wise? Are the huge mod packs like Big World workable with it? Or do I have to finesse which mods work and which don't? Assuming mods even work at all.

I'm looking for a good open world RPG which is why I ask, and some of the stuff i've read about it makes it seem like a good candidate.