Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Color Printer posted:

Yeah I too agree that someone overreacting over a thing that is itself very dumb should be killed :catstare:

Well sure it's just one incident, but I think it's enough that I can use the powers of logic to extrapolate certain things about them, like that they're a petty humorless rear end in a top hat who probably whines about everything all the time. Also that lovely fanart will probably be their greatest contribution to the world, the peak has been reached, there's nothing left and no point in going on.

I dunno though, I guess if purging them from the face of the earth is 'too extreme' or whatever for some of you weak-stomached fools I could be satisfied with someone just taking their keyboard away and giving them a good smack upside the head with it instead. I guess. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know, with all of our talk about nerdy bullshit, I'm surprised no one has ever commented on the nerdiest worst way to read Homestuck. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ7JOidKp_xzsrVMGT1QFpjEavSkQMbV0 LET'S READ HOMESTUCK

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Burkion posted:

You know, with all of our talk about nerdy bullshit, I'm surprised no one has ever commented on the nerdiest worst way to read Homestuck. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ7JOidKp_xzsrVMGT1QFpjEavSkQMbV0 LET'S READ HOMESTUCK

308,742 views :psyduck:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Zoe posted:

Well sure it's just one incident, but I think it's enough that I can use the powers of logic to extrapolate certain things about them, like that they're a petty humorless rear end in a top hat who probably whines about everything all the time. Also that lovely fanart will probably be their greatest contribution to the world, the peak has been reached, there's nothing left and no point in going on.

I dunno though, I guess if purging them from the face of the earth is 'too extreme' or whatever for some of you weak-stomached fools I could be satisfied with someone just taking their keyboard away and giving them a good smack upside the head with it instead. I guess. :sigh:

You have an mlp avatar

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MrBims posted:

308,742 views :psyduck:

Caliborn's deviantart page already has 8,000 followers and 200,000 pageviews.

http://i-am-your-lord.deviantart.com/stats/gallery/

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

Bobulus posted:

"8 month premium membership:
Given by mUse-Of-space" :allears:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

C'mon Huss, what's the point of mocking bad fan art if you have to be all nice and courteous and "this is my OC Donut Steel, copyright me!" about it? Caliborn's lovely art is littered with watermarks exactly in order to parody that kind of mindset, don't go kow-towwing to it.

And what actual Homestuck fan could ask for more than to be mocked by the comic itself? It's practically the highest compliment he can give.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Bobulus posted:

That's nothing, that is a joke everyone can be in on. But how does anyone spend enough time watching a "let's read" of homestuck for Youtube to record their view? How long does it take to realize this is not a good way to spend their time?

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Zoe posted:

Source your quotes

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Burkion posted:

I actually kinda like this series. :shobon: (After they switch Rose's VA and John's VA gets a better mic.)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dolash posted:

And what actual Homestuck fan could ask for more than to be mocked by the comic itself? It's practically the highest compliment he can give.

You'd like to think so, but this is only what the non-terrible fans of the comic think.

Most of the fans are immature teenagers who ~identify~ with the characters and completely miss that the trolls exist entirely to mock them.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Dolash posted:

C'mon Huss, what's the point of mocking bad fan art if you have to be all nice and courteous and "this is my OC Donut Steel, copyright me!" about it? Caliborn's lovely art is littered with watermarks exactly in order to parody that kind of mindset, don't go kow-towwing to it.

Tumblrthings are dumb and reactionary. All it takes is one to say "I am v. offended" for all the others to showboat how progressive they are by repeating "I am offended too."

Hussie knows what side of the bread is buttered on, and is willing to appease the mindless tumblrites. And honestly, it works for him to pretend to care about those Tumblr nerds, so I can't really blame him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CuddlyZombie posted:

I actually kinda like this series. :shobon: (After they switch Rose's VA and John's VA gets a better mic.)

Some of the voices are good, some are awful.

Also high five nerd buddy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wanted the next act of Homosuck to show us what Caliborn learned from the manga book, and then that's what happened. Everything about this is perfect.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Acne Rain posted:

You have an mlp avatar

I'm too poor to change it, give me a Homestuck one if it bothers you that much.

Also I feel like people are overreacting to my post...tbh what I really want is to kill all teenagers, I just thought it might be fun to start with that one. No big deal either way, though agreed that it's weird seeing Hussie being all apologetic and polite, I like him better when he's shamelessly trolling.

(I hope John has only appeared to give a recap. An exhaustive page-for-page one. For the next five years real time.)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Christ man, stop telling us about your plans to kill teenagers that have different opinions than you about a webcomics aimed at teenagers. All it takes is an official apology to shut these people up.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Zoe posted:

I'm too poor to change it, give me a Homestuck one if it bothers you that much.

Also I feel like people are overreacting to my post...tbh what I really want is to kill all teenagers, I just thought it might be fun to start with that one. No big deal either way, though agreed that it's weird seeing Hussie being all apologetic and polite, I like him better when he's shamelessly trolling.

(I hope John has only appeared to give a recap. An exhaustive page-for-page one. For the next five years real time.)

hmmm yes that makes things much better.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
More like HomeSTINK. Heh.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I should really finish playing that game part where the other troll ancestors are introduced and finish reading this drat comic one day soon. I didn't even get to the break, haha. I hope the writing is as fun as I remember.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Regy Rusty posted:

This applies to this thread too :v:

Yeah we're pretty awful :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Shut up and go read the bad webcomic we all hate to love. (another update posted)

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Aww hell, this is probably the last one before 10/25. Gee, what a page to leave off on.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Triskelli posted:

Christ man, stop telling us about your plans to kill teenagers that have different opinions than you about a webcomics aimed at teenagers. All it takes is an official apology to shut these people up.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a hater.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Finally John meets the villain (more or less) and commits to kicking his rear end, even if it's not 100% clear what he's done or how he did it or if he's even done it yet. This is way overdue and completely welcome. Usually it's good for the protagonist to understand the stakes and have a clear motivation, but in Homestuck I'll settle for "You're probably the bad guy around here and definitely a big creep!"

I'm guessing Caliborn's about to shoot the gently caress out of him.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

John's basically an untouchable immortal idiot, I think he's going to chump Caliborn and that will motivate the little green rear end in a top hat to get ripped.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is the hiatus still on?

edit: hok3y shitballs

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 19, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SynthOrange posted:

Is the hiatus still on?

No.

Next update is on 10/25

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
See, this is good. This is the sort of thing that happened constantly before the trolls took over the story and it all went to poo poo for a while.

Metahumor is loving awesome. Oh, and John is going to teleport around more before anything happens, I think.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

GeneX posted:

See, this is good. This is the sort of thing that happened constantly before the trolls took over the story and it all went to poo poo for a while.

Metahumor is loving awesome. Oh, and John is going to teleport around more before anything happens, I think.

I don't understand how one person can have such a disconnect in logic.

You hate the trolls, but love metahumour??

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

WAR FOOT posted:

I don't understand how one person can have such a disconnect in logic.

You hate the trolls, but love metahumour??

I love the original story involving the trolls, when they were solely parodies of assorted annoying internet personality types.
It's when they started being taken less as parody and more as drama-inducers that I got dissatisfied. I especially dislike the alpha trolls, most of whom seem to exist more for the purpose of exposition and plot than any mocking of internet trolls.

I guess the best way to put it is that I lost interest a bit as soon as the tumblr-fanbase really started picking up momentum: when the romantic elements of the story started taking over for a bit. Additionally, as an example of a more specific thing I dislike, the fact that Hussie created whatever-the-hell-alpha feferi's name is for the sake of appeasing the members of his fanbase with pisces astrological signs? That's something I hate.

When he started pandering to his audience instead of making fun of them, I lost interest.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 19, 2014

Poultron
May 26, 2006

GeneX posted:

When he started pandering to his audience instead of making fun of them, I lost interest.

Did we read the same thing? Isn't one of the alpha trolls literally an aggressively obvious SJW parody?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Poultron posted:

Did we read the same thing? Isn't one of the alpha trolls literally an aggressively obvious SJW parody?

Sure, they're almost all parodies of a sort. The problem is, they're not being used as parodies, they're being used for exposition. Specifically, not-Vriska basically does nothing but spout exposition, and all the other more mocking trolls get shifted way into the background. Aside from a game or two, they haven't really appeared much, since they're one-shot parodies of some of the obnoxious internet users that Hussie didn't get in his initial group. They don't matter: the annoying ones are representative of the group for the sake of my annoyance. I don't want to go complaint by complaint (as in, list form,) so I'm speaking in more general terms.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 19, 2014

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

GeneX posted:

I especially dislike the alpha trolls, most of whom seem to exist more for the purpose of exposition and plot than any mocking of internet trolls.
[...]

:psyduck: Kankri is explicitly a parody of tumblr SJWs. Hussie himself shows up in one of the flash games to spell it out. Apart from Meenah and Aranea, the Alpha trolls are one-note jokes and are utterly irrelevant to the overall plot.

As for pandering, Hussie spends so much time taking the piss out of his fanbase that it sometimes overwhelms the actual story. See: the bizarre Rufio interlude back in Act 5(?), or the leprechaun romance. Even this latest update is another shot at the fanbase, specifically at the ones taking all the male characters and shoehorning them into gay fanfiction, and the ones breaking down characters into lists of personality quirks i.e. TvTropes.

Hussie is a weird guy, but he's always made his ambivalence about the tumblr fanbase pretty clear.

GeneX posted:

Sure, they're almost all parodies of a sort. The problem is, they're not being used as parodies, they're being used for exposition. Specifically, not-Vriska basically does nothing but spout exposition, and all the other more mocking trolls get shifted way into the background. Aside from a game or two, they haven't really appeared much, since they're one-shot parodies of some of the obnoxious internet users that Hussie didn't get in his initial group.

So what's the problem? Do you want more attention paid to the Alpha trolls, or less? You can't complain that they're taking over the story thanks to !tumblr! and then complain that they're in the background.

Aranea's exposition is annoying, I'll give you that, but Hussie seems to have realised and is trying to turn it into a running joke, which is better than nothing.

Gato fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 19, 2014

Poultron
May 26, 2006

GeneX posted:

Sure, they're almost all parodies of a sort. The problem is, they're not being used as parodies, they're being used for exposition. Specifically, not-Vriska basically does nothing but spout exposition, and all the other more mocking trolls get shifted way into the background. Aside from a game or two, they haven't really appeared much, since they're one-shot parodies of some of the obnoxious internet users that Hussie didn't get in his initial group.

You're not really making any amazing observations here considering that Alpha Vriska literally sets up an exposition booth and pays Meenah to listen to her. I'm not saying it's ace writing over here but I don't think this has anything to do with your original point at all. How does using a character to spout exposition mean that he's pandering to his fanbase, other than getting the gently caress on with the story?

Son you dumb.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GunnerJ posted:

The thing is that Caliborn's bishie god Marty Stu drawing is so far from what Lord English looks like (the "buff physique LE has" which "could just be Caliborn playing up his ideal qualities") that it's a joke. Actually, the fact that the self-insert is nothing like Lord English might be the joke, and if anything, Hussie is debunking this theory through mockery of lovely fan art. Or maybe this is just a phase where he stops thinking being buff is cool because it allows him to safely indulge in homoerotic fantasy.

quote:

NO, THIS IS ALL WRONG, YOU FROWN. THESE GLASSY RED PEEPERS, LOVELY THOUGH THEY ARE. ARE NOT YOUR LORD'S FINAL FORM. OH NO.

Well, I guess I just got owned :stare:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Poultron posted:

You're not really making any amazing observations here considering that Alpha Vriska literally sets up an exposition booth and pays Meenah to listen to her. I'm not saying it's ace writing over here but I don't think this has anything to do with your original point at all. How does using a character to spout exposition mean that he's pandering to his fanbase, other than getting the gently caress on with the story?

Son you dumb.

Making fun of yourself for dumping exposition doesn't make it not an exposition-dump. And besides, I'm referring mostly to her actions outside of the games, which are admittedly humorous.

They're unrelated things that I dislike about the story. I didn't think it was that hard to parse what I was saying, but I'm admittedly not functioning at 100% right now, so I'm probably not being as erudite as I think I am.

The pandering came in the frequent and constant love-polygon things that the trolls were continuously involved in. Among select minor other elements, that's the kind of thing that the tumblr fanbase worships above all else. The hijacking of the plot for Dave-terezi-Karkat drama triangle time, for example, or pretty much anything with Vriska past mid-act 5 act 2 that didn't involve murder, was absolutely pandering to the people who read the story for the romance stuff.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 19, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Cabbit posted:

John's basically an untouchable immortal idiot, I think he's going to chump Caliborn and that will motivate the little green rear end in a top hat to get ripped.

But John just made a bold declaration that he was going to kick the villain of the story's rear end; and getting killed in a battle with the ultimate villain of the story sounds pretty heroic to me.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

GeneX posted:

Making fun of yourself for dumping exposition doesn't make it not an exposition-dump. And besides, I'm referring mostly to her actions outside of the games, which are admittedly humorous.

They're unrelated things that I dislike about the story. I didn't think it was that hard to parse what I was saying, but I'm admittedly not functioning at 100% right now, so I'm probably not being as erudite as I think I am.

The pandering came in the frequent and constant love-polygon things that the trolls were continuously involved in. Among select minor other elements, that's the kind of thing that the tumblr fanbase worships above all else. The hijacking of the plot for Dave-terezi-Karkat drama triangle time, for example, or pretty much anything with Vriska past mid-act 5 act 2 that didn't involve murder, was absolutely pandering to the people who read the story for the romance stuff.

One person's hijacking/pandering is another person's plot I guess. I liked the Terezi/Dave/Karkat stuff because it felt like an natural progression of their character development - see also: Jake English. I can understand being disappointed that Homestuck has gone from a tight, self-contained ontological mystery story to a sprawling, character-based epic in serious need of an editor, but for better or worse that's the story we've been getting for years.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Gato posted:

One person's hijacking/pandering is another person's plot I guess. I liked the Terezi/Dave/Karkat stuff because it felt like an natural progression of their character development - see also: Jake English. I can understand being disappointed that Homestuck has gone from a tight, self-contained ontological mystery story to a sprawling, character-based epic in serious need of an editor, but for better or worse that's the story we've been getting for years.

Fair enough. There's less outright humor and more seriousness as of late (for a very wide definition of late,) and it's not the sort of thing I enjoy about the story. I enjoyed it far more when it was primarily about the mechanics of a weird game that fucks with reality rather than its current iteration as a character study, and when the characters were driven in their actions by humor value rather than human emotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I think Homestuck is at its best, when it has funny jokes, and less relationship drama, and when it doesn't inspire MLP weirdos to post about their Genocide Desires. Just a lil' thought i have about webcomics, thanks for reading my post.