Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

People in the US are way too eager to talk about how terrible the US is. Come live in an actually corrupt and incompetent country and you'll gain a new appreciation for how well the US actually functions on the whole. I mean, if New York's infrastructure had been built in China we'd have had to tear it out and rebuild a few times by now due to code violations incompetence and predatory eminent domain practices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

People in the US are way too eager to talk about how terrible the US is. Come live in an actually corrupt and incompetent country and you'll gain a new appreciation for how well the US actually functions on the whole. I mean, if New York's infrastructure had been built in China we'd have had to tear it out and rebuild a few times by now due to code violations incompetence and predatory eminent domain practices.

Bitching about our lives defines every aspect of being American. Especially the parts that contradict that.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

KORNOLOGY posted:

Bitching about our lives defines every aspect of being American. Especially the parts that contradict that.

Or to put it another way, no one in the US really disputes American exceptionalism, just what direction it lies in.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Arglebargle III posted:

This is really disingenuous. You can bitch about the shortcomings of a country and want them addressed while simultaneously understanding that you've got it pretty good. Complacency is the enemy of success, after all.

Now if someone straight up tried to say "the US is the worst country on the planet" then feel free to drop them in a farming village in North Korea and see how quickly they change their tune. But otherwise there's no valid issue with people bringing up what the US does wrong.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Esroc posted:

This is really disingenuous. You can bitch about the shortcomings of a country and want them addressed while simultaneously understanding that you've got it pretty good. Complacency is the enemy of success, after all.

Now if someone straight up tried to say "the US is the worst country on the planet" then feel free to drop them in a farming village in North Korea and see how quickly they change their tune. But otherwise there's no valid issue with people bringing up what the US does wrong.

Where does "The US is a third world country because it does [thing that most of Europe does too]" fall?

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

computer parts posted:

Where does "The US is a third world country because it does [thing that most of Europe does too]" fall?

I see the third world comment dropped pretty often, that much is true. On really random rear end issues to boot. I mean, come on guys, really?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

It's true. Among rich countries the US is mediocre at best in many areas. I don't think most of the liberals who push the "America sucks" viewpoint care all that much about non-rich countries, and to be honest I don't really think there's anything wrong with that. It's reasonable to expect the US to be better than countries significantly poorer than it

The words "third world" are maybe a little hyperbolic, but again, the base sentiment is true. If you're saying it hurts the feelings of or is disrespectful to actual third worlders fine, I guess, but I don't really care that much sorry

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Onion Knight posted:

Are... are you sure you went to South Korea? On Earth?
I've lived and worked in SK for the last few years. The old palaces here are awesome, but unfortunately mostly restorations thanks to the Japanese smashing up everything while they were occupying (see some Important Intangible Cultural Properties instead).
The food culture is okay, especially outside of Seoul, but can't really hold a candle to the rest of Asia. The drinking culture is great if you like to get really drunk all the time.

Also congratulations on drinking the correct amount of Soju (ie: not enough) because a Soju hangover is not something I'd wish on anyone.

Anyway, all of my friends here are early-20s to early-30s and exactly zero of them are in favor of reunification. The only people I know who are even sympathetic to the idea are my girlfriend's parents, because there's a branch of her grandmother's family still in the north. Even they are quick to point out that it would wreck the economy. Really, every day that passes means there's fewer people around that actually lived in a unified Korea, and fewer people that are willing to entertain the idea of reunification. I think, frankly, the window has passed.
It's worth noting, too, that the North has been sending barely-competent spies to SK for years, as well as state-sponsored terrorist agents (like with Korean Air Flight 858) with the understanding that they'll get caught. So now, for the few Northerners that do make it to the South, they're universally distrusted. Combine that with almost no useful modern-world skills, they end up working as farmhands, diner cooks, or prostitutes and barely eke by. Basically trading their lovely life in the North for a lovely life in the South.

I think someone mentioned it in the thread before, and they were definitely on the money: if the North collapses tomorrow, the South will probably - at best - do a bunch of hand-wringing and make some token gestures, but there's no way in hell they'd open the borders. It'd mean China gets saddled with 24 million starving people without any real assets, and a gigantic pain in the rear end territory dispute with an American-backed South Korea.

Reunification doesn't mean the South has to open the borders to mass migration immediately. It would make a lot more sense to maintain the DMZ as an internal border and run the North as defacto colony for the next few decades.

Letting the Chinese set up a Korean "Autonomous" zone would be politically untenable.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Esroc posted:

Quite fair, but I live in China and get tired of rightists in the US and Chinese nationalists taking cheap shots like "look how slow the US builds infrastructure" when you know graft is what those projects are really about and what the US rightists are really after anyway.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Arglebargle III posted:

Quite fair, but I live in China and get tired of rightists in the US and Chinese nationalists taking cheap shots like "look how slow the US builds infrastructure" when you know graft is what those projects are really about and what the US rightists are really after anyway.

I can assure you I am neither and would really like the US to improve their infrastructure process as much as possible, I just do not think the US is presently in any position to rebuild NK while our own house is in such disorder politically about such things with conservative and libertarian anti competency sentiments.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Charlz Guybon posted:

Reunification doesn't mean the South has to open the borders to mass migration immediately. It would make a lot more sense to maintain the DMZ as an internal border and run the North as defacto colony for the next few decades.

Letting the Chinese set up a Korean "Autonomous" zone would be politically untenable.

I don't think SK leaders will be that stupid and let China exert intense influrence over NK if and when NK government collapse.

Changing the younger generations opinion is easy. SK citizens are some of the most patriotic people I know. The SK media will go super drive to make the young people support the reunification cause when SK have the chance to make a difference.

In other news, Fat Kim showed up again in NK state media, visiting a show housing project, with a pimp cane in hand.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

It's true. Among rich countries the US is mediocre at best in many areas. I don't think most of the liberals who push the "America sucks" viewpoint care all that much about non-rich countries, and to be honest I don't really think there's anything wrong with that. It's reasonable to expect the US to be better than countries significantly poorer than it

The words "third world" are maybe a little hyperbolic, but again, the base sentiment is true. If you're saying it hurts the feelings of or is disrespectful to actual third worlders fine, I guess, but I don't really care that much sorry

"The US is a third world country because you treat minorities like poo poo."

*Elects a literal Nazi party*

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

How would that, politically, be tenable? How would South Koreans justify it to themselves, let alone the international community? Plus, how would it not build up incredible resentment among the (former) North Koreans?

On the US infrastructure derail: Yes, yes, yes, the US could do infrastructure better, but how many of those complaining consider:

A. The scale of the country, including a diversity of climate and topology virtually all European countries couldn't hope to overcome;

B. The multiplicity of political authorities you'd have to please (from local governments to state governments to the federal government, they all have a say on infrastructure projects in their jurisdictions);

C. The fact that money is finite?

I mean, seriously. Yes the US could use higher-quality road materials (for example) and pay construction contracts on performance standards, not just "it's built, here's your money". But the problem is, all that adds up over millions of miles of roads to become cost-prohibitive.

Even if you get away from roads to rail or stuff, or even non-transport infrastructure, the same points remain. Fundamentally, if you want to redo the US's infrastructure, you would need more money than all levels of the government combined can feasibly raise.

(Which is not to say that more money shouldn't be put into infrastructure. More money should go there, absolutely. But I don't know that it's realistic to expect European-style roads or rail, for example, on a scale as large as the US. On a lot of levels, the fact that infrastructure has been built on such a scale, and maintained, is an achievement in and of itself.)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I think a lot of the US-centric bitching is because the society very prominently functions on the bones of two massive infrastructure efforts (WW2 + interstate highways) and the national mythos is also all about massive projects (Marshall Plan, the moon, the Internet) transforming the country in one generation or less. Meanwhile, nothing except the latter has visibly been done in fifty years and bridges are falling down, sometimes with cars on them.

It's not wrong to say the country could do better and faster, but yes, a lot of the comparison to Europe comes off artificially poorly due to the fact that continental Europe's infrastructure is both newer(!) and originally built with US money. The other thing is that while massive, high profile projects are much harder to do now, run of the mill construction is still much better. Your typical UK 3BR house is half the size of a US version and comes with appliances that are also half the size, the drainage is unreliable and the heating drastically varies based on what floor you're on - and I'm talking about the newer stuff here. This tells me the problem is on the macro scale and fixable if the political will ever exists again. [It also helps that 45 of the 50 states don't *really* care about illegal immigration and the resulting cheap labor costs, as opposed to the UK literally electing fascists on the completely unfounded suggestion that too many Bulgarians are completely legally showing up.]

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Spacewolf posted:

How would that, politically, be tenable? How would South Koreans justify it to themselves, let alone the international community? Plus, how would it not build up incredible resentment among the (former) North Koreans?

Not to be the fly in the ointment, but I'd say the entire Nork population has been conditioned to hate and condemn South Korea already through intprop. The only way they'd be even further pressed into this false vendeta would be for Park Geun-hye to take a steaming dump into Dear Leader's gaping mouth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Charlz Guybon posted:

The DMZ is going to be a de facto border for a very long time due to the need to clear out the dangerous minefields and other such things, plus there will probably be a desire to change it from its current de facto natural reserve park status resulting from being no man's land into an actual national park with only minimal crossings to restore rail/road connections at full capacity.

Spacewolf posted:

Among other things, East Germans had free movement pretty immediately due to the fact that East German infrastructure and such was actually in really decent shape, including the several land corridors from West Germany to West Berlin with well maintained rail and road. Not to mention East Germans generally having a decent ownership level of cars, even if they were lovely cars.

Free movement for North Koreans? The ones with the capability to freely get to South Korea assuming we wake up tomorrow morning with the NK government unilaterally surrendering to South Korea and allowing free movement, etc - they're primarily going to be the very highest classes in North Korean society, the ones who not only get to have a car but can afford fuel in general.

For the public at large, you're going to have a few people able to hitch rides on the few commercial vehicles around. Everyone else is going to have to walk, essentially, and given North Korean population centers most of them are going to be 40 hour or more walks to the SK border. How far can you expect people to walk in a day when they're already not exactly overfed at best, and close to eating just enough to get by at worst?

How many people would really feel safe enough to risk leaving someplace that for the time being they can at least get by, to undertake a journey with little but the clothes on their back, across often quite rugged terrain, with little guarantee of getting supplies on the way?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

whatever7 posted:

I don't think SK leaders will be that stupid and let China exert intense influrence over NK if and when NK government collapse.

Plus doesn't the SK constitution basically say they're the legitimate, true government of Korea? I've read that their Supreme Court has basically ruled as such and any NK defector is basically entitled to ROK citizenship. The SK government would probably have an obligation to tell China to gently caress off in that scenario.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's a bold thing for a country like Korea to tell China to gently caress off, even with America's backing. There'll almost certainly be some delicate negotiations between Chinese, American and Korean envoys about exactly how North Korea gets integrated, and more than a few "understandings" will be reached.

I'd find it hard to believe China would even want North Korea as a special autonomous zone though, this isn't like picking up Hong Kong.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I would personally expect Chinese control to be limited to within a few miles of their border, and that pretty much just to reduce refugee influx.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

Do most European countries let their citizens die because they cannot pay for healthcare?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Changing the younger generations opinion is easy. SK citizens are some of the most patriotic people I know. The SK media will go super drive to make the young people support the reunification cause when SK have the chance to make a difference.

Fat loving chance. SK students are taught since kindergarten that reunification is the wonderful glorious future that we need to work for and once we heal that wound everything will be good forever. The schools I used to teach at did yearly plays for the parents about reunification. There are TV specials where poor old ladies talk about reunification with tears in their eyes. Short of trotting out Girls' Generation to sing songs about reunification* they're doing just about everything they can to push the one Korea = good Korea angle and absolutely no one is buying it.

Surprise! Everyone is too concerned about getting a decent job or making rent or trying to get laid. Exactly like everyone else.

Turns out you can't "make young people support" a vision of the future where their and their children's generation will be even more completely economically devastated in order to get a cleaner map and some gypsum mines by 2080 or whatever.

Between this one and the China thread you really seem to love posting out and out bullshit.

*this won't work either because the only people who actually watch k-pop are lonely white people and older korean perverts

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rand alPaul posted:

Do most European countries let their citizens die because they cannot pay for healthcare?

Very often they do. In fact most of europe is comprised of quite poor nations with almost no economic growth where you must rely on yourself and your family or perish. Don`t assume it`s like Sweden everywhere.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Baudolino posted:

Very often they do. In fact most of europe is comprised of quite poor nations with almost no economic growth where you must rely on yourself and your family or perish. Don`t assume it`s like Sweden everywhere.

Most of Europe? Rely on yourself and your family or perish? Didn't you get little carried away there?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Europe's a little bigger than UK/France/Germany and the nordics, lad. There's a helluva lotta poverty in the Mediterranean, for instance.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
How "hard" would would this "internal border" in a reunified Korea be? It seems like anything less than the current "shoot people who try to cross" level of security would result in millions of refugees crossing.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Onion Knight posted:

*this won't work either because the only people who actually watch k-pop are lonely white people and older korean perverts

What the hell kind of bullshit is this? I teach at a Korean High School so I know that this is laughably untrue.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Onion Knight posted:

Fat loving chance....

Between this one and the China thread you really seem to love posting out and out bullshit.

I really touched your soft spot didn't I. I apologize.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Europe's a little bigger than UK/France/Germany and the nordics, lad. There's a helluva lotta poverty in the Mediterranean, for instance.

First: count population. Second: I'm in the Mediterranean and nobody dies on the street for a lack of healthcare.

Thinking that Europe = Denmark is stupid. Thinking that Europe = Ukraine?, is even more stupid.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SedanChair posted:

How "hard" would would this "internal border" in a reunified Korea be? It seems like anything less than the current "shoot people who try to cross" level of security would result in millions of refugees crossing.

Until the mines are cleared I think there's pretty good reason to not want to cross en masse.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

What the hell kind of bullshit is this? I teach at a Korean High School so I know that this is laughably untrue.

I'm joking, of course, but only half joking. Take a look at the audience demographics for K-pop in general. It's definitely big with young Korean women, but once they drop off the adjussis start to pick it up around late 20s-early 50s - and lately foreigners.

At any rate it'll serve for lousy propaganda because it's not hooking college kids or young professionals.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Baudolino posted:

"Most of Europe"? European Union is "Most of Europe" and I wouldn't characterize any of them with that description. Sure, there are regional differences, but it's not like United States doesn't have those.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Onion Knight posted:

He's a low level CCP bureaucrat with connections to privilege who enjoys playing armchair geopolitics. It's kind of his thing. Like a Chinese My Imaginary GF sort of

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 20, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If the North Korean government collapses, South Korea is going to have to provide for North Koreans. Given what we know of North Korean wages, there is no way most North Koreans are going to be able to afford food and fuel at world market prices, not even the Kaesong workers who are paid more than the average North Korean. If the North Korean government goes, so do the state ration system (free food, though not consistently and not enough) and the emergency rice reserves, unless the South Korean government takes over the responsibility and considerable cost of feeding everyone in North Korea for free.

Closing the border and putting North Koreans to work for slave wages doesn't change the fact that South Koreans are going to have to pay for North Korean necessities, one way or another. Honestly, I'm a little surprised so many people are bringing that up as an option for low-cost unification; folks here usually know better than to think that "set up a Gilded Age zone with no labor laws and let the market uplift all those poor people" is something that ever actually works.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What kind of international effort could we be looking at in the event of a collapse? I can see various organizations getting involved and a whole bunch of nations sending at least token support and probably quite a bit more. The Catholic church could probably be relied upon for a bunch of food aid, maybe more since they'd have an interest in converting 25 million atheists. The US would absolutely throw a ton of money at it because SK is their strongest ally in the region and China would also want to keep people from flooding over the border so they'd invest in stability.

Honestly I feel like the biggest problem is political. What fills the vacuum when North Koreans are suddenly left without leadership or connection? You can't easily supplant a dictatorial system and I wonder how well they'd take to democracy. Perhaps a bunch of autonomous regions could be instituted where the larger cities elect councils that distribute food aid as current programs do and you go from there. They'd be distrustful of the South's intentions off the bat so they'd have to be eased into the idea.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

icantfindaname posted:

He's a low level CCP bureaucrat with connections to privilege who enjoys playing armchair geopolitics. It's kind of his thing. Like a Chinese My Imaginary GF sort of

You forgot "card-carrying Hong Konger hater" part.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

There is a multi mile wide border, through rough terrain mostly, filled with mines, tripwire guns, and armed but unexploded ordnance that can still blow your legs off the same way the "Iron Harvest" along the lines of the old World War I trenches in Europe every spring risks killing dozens.

And there's only 2 or 3 narrow routes through there that are guarenteed clear - that is if NK leaders don't do a final gently caress you gesture by knocking over the many sets of massive concrete pillars they put by the sides of roads to block traffic.

And most of the NK population lives 100+ miles from the border and would have to proceed on foot for the most part to the nearest crossing which would be even further.

Essentially, even if all the active military there on both sides just cleared out, it'd be hard as hell for millions of refugee to safely get across.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
South Korea thinks it's figured out Kim Jong-Un's absence.

quote:

South Korea's spy agency said Tuesday it has solved the mystery of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's 6-week public absence, which set off a frenzy of wild speculation around the world.

The National Intelligence Service told legislators that a foreign doctor operated on Kim in September or October to remove a cyst from his right ankle, according to Park Byeong-seok, an aide for opposition lawmaker Shin Kyung-min. The aide said the spy agency also told lawmakers in a closed-door briefing that the cyst could recur because of Kim's obesity, smoking and heavy public schedule.

After last being seen in state media on Sept. 3, Kim reappeared on Oct. 14 hobbling with a cane, but smiling and looking thinner. The speculation during his absence was particularly intense because of the Kim family's importance to impoverished, nuclear-armed North Korea. The family has ruled the country since its founding in 1948.

It wasn't immediately clear how the information was obtained by the spy agency, which has a spotty track record of analyzing developments in opaque North Korea.

The agency also said North Korea has expanded five of its political prisoner camps, including the Yodok camp, which was relocated to the northwest city of Kilchu, according to Lim Dae-seong, an aide to ruling party lawmaker Lee Cheol-woo, who also attended the briefing. The spy agency believes the camps hold about 100,000 prisoners, Lim said.

He said the agency also believes that North Korea recently used a firing squad to execute several people who had been close to Kim Jong Un's uncle, Jang Song Thaek, who was considered the country's No. 2 power before his sudden purge and execution in December 2013.

In an intelligence success, South Korea's spy agency correctly said that Jang had likely been dismissed from his posts before North Korea officially announced his arrest.

However, it received heavy criticism when its director acknowledged that it had ignored intelligence indicating North Korea's impending shelling of a South Korean island in 2010. It also came under fire because of reports that it only learned of the 2011 death of then leader Kim Jong Il, the father of Kim Jong Un, more than two days after it occurred when state media announced it to the world.
This is probably as close to the truth as we're going to get. It also doesn't answer the questions if Kim is really a puppet for the OGD, and how much power Hwang Pyong-So actually has. It seems like ages ago already, and they've had border gunfights a plenty since then.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Kim with his generally bloated appearance always makes me think of Cartman from South Park.

Respect my Authoritay!

Imagine a nation run by Cartman and you got it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Are there any good documentaries on Kim Il Sung and the transformation of North Korea into the totalitarian state it became (like with the countless statues and the development of Juche ideology, etc) after the Korean War? I want to focus specifically on the end of the Korean War to Kim Il Sung's death, but it seems like a lot of documentaries focus on Kim Jong Il instead.

Appreciate the help. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Are there any good documentaries on Kim Il Sung and the transformation of North Korea into the totalitarian state it became (like with the countless statues and the development of Juche ideology, etc) after the Korean War? I want to focus specifically on the end of the Korean War to Kim Il Sung's death, but it seems like a lot of documentaries focus on Kim Jong Il instead.

Appreciate the help. :)

Kimjongilia, I think, was pretty good. KJI is what was relevant by the time the western world really started paying attention, which I suppose was after the fall of the Berlin Wall/Soviet Union, so naturally a lot of stuff is going to be about him. I

Watching this will probably get you put on some kind of list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-Kbn298m0A