Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

It's done, and no, because that would require DC's trade department to know what they're doing.

gently caress. What should I pick up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Batman & Son/Black Glove (combined edition): OSHC
Batman R.I.P.: OSHC/trade
Final Crisis: normal HC/trade/absolute
Time and the Batman: normal HC/trade
Batman and Robin Vols. 1 & 2: OSHCs/trades
The Return of Bruce Wayne: OSHC/trade
Batman and Robin Vol. 3: OSHC/trade
Batman Incorporated (pre-reboot) (has a bunch of flags behind Batman on the cover): OSHC/trade
Batman Incorporated Vol. 1: Demon Star (post-reboot): normal HC/trade
Batman Incorporated Vol. 2: Gotham's Most Wanted (post-reboot): normal HC/trade

There is an Absolute Batman Inc. coming out in December.

No omnibus has been announced yet.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 1, 2014

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
There's an Absolute Batman & Robin that has already been released - you can substitute that for the 3 OSHC volumes.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Looks like redbackground beat me to it. If you do have questions like that again you should also check out this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611169&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=25

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've got All-Star Superman volume 1 in trade paperback already. Any advice on whether to get volume 2 separately, or just buy the entire thing in a single volume?

redbackground posted:

Best/biggest versions:

The Black Casebook and Final Crisis are worth mentioning too, but they're both optional.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've got All-Star Superman volume 1 in trade paperback already. Any advice on whether to get volume 2 separately, or just buy the entire thing in a single volume?
Get the Absolute!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

redbackground posted:

Batman Incorporated (pre-reboot): OSHC

Which one is this? This?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Which one is this? This?
Yup.

(i've updated the list above for clarity)

VVVV
mwahaha

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 1, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Which one is this? This?

That is the correct one.
gently caress

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey, I have a question about Marvel's Secret Invasion-related TPBs.

My Secret Invasion TPB has a purple spine with the very stylized "Secret Invasion" title in a slanted yellow font. No big deal, it's a stand-alone volume.

My New Avengers Volumes 8 and 9 TPBs are titled Secret Invasion Book 1 and Secret Invasion Book 2. Those just have normal black spines, matching the rest of my New Avengers TPBs with a normal yellow font. I recently picked up Mighty Avengers Volume 3, titled Secret Invasion Book 1, and it matches all of those as well. They look nice together, and I like matching spines.

BUT, today I found Mighty Avengers Volume 4, titled Secret Invasion Book 2, at a used bookstore where I have store credit, and the spine was purple, with the slanted yellow font. And come to think of it, I've seen lots of other Secret Invasion tie-in TPBs at comic shops with the purple spines and slanted yellow font.

What's the deal -- multiple print runs obviously, but which came first, and which are typically cheaper and easier to find? I wanted to buy that Mighty Avengers Volume 4, but it would have really bugged me that it didn't match Volume 3 at all.

This really is a thing for me. I'm still hunting all over trying to find Sandman Volumes 6 and 10 that match the rest of mine (the print run where each volume had a different color of the rainbow along the spines), and if I ever end up with a fully-matching set, I know I'll be overcome with a sense of relief.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 11, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Marvel releases different versions for direct sale and regular retailers. They make the retail versions work better as stand alones while the direct sale books are designed to work together in big, long runs. Usually it's different spines, sometimes it's different covers, too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

Marvel releases different versions for direct sale and regular retailers. They make the retail versions work better as stand alones while the direct sale books are designed to work together in big, long runs. Usually it's different spines, sometimes it's different covers, too.
Thank you -- that's what I figured. I've seen the ugly purple Secret Invasion-branded spines in comic shops, so I'm assuming the plainer design I prefer was for bookstores, Amazon, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

Both versions were available through comic shops when Diamond and Marvel had a closeout sale.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My sister came over with her kids and, welp:

The 3 year old started pulling books, my sister told her to put everything back, the 1.5 year old then got in on the action and pushed everything as far back as it would go.

I thought it was adorable...

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
My greatest fear about my collection whenever I get around to having a child.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sleepingbuddha posted:

I have a friend with a very large figure and statue collection displayed in IKEA Detolfs. He and his wife now have two children and he's had to retrieve incredibly valuable figures from his sons room so many times that he's had to put a slide lock at the top of the door to protect his collection.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

sleepingbuddha posted:

Give it a few years and they'll be reading them too though :unsmith:

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Boy or girl, he or she is going to be a comic nerd, drat it!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't have many action figures, but the younger ran around with my '66 Batman and Joker toys (calling them "babies" as that's what she calls her dolls) and the elder got obsessed with the Nerf guns (takes after her NRA-supporting father, seems like). Ah, kids that are not my own so I only have to deal with on occasion, you are cute.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Why is the first TPB of Daredeil v4 coming out before the last TPB of Daredevil v3?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Brocktoon posted:

Why is the first TPB of Daredeil v4 coming out before the last TPB of Daredevil v3?

The hardcover is already out and the paperback is coming out a month later than the TPB of Volume 1 of Daredevil 4.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
How is the Marvel "Epic Collection?" I've always loved Moon Knight and have the first two volumes of essentials. I'd jump at the chance to own some of that stuff in color is this what I've been looking for?

http://amzn.com/0785190961

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
They're pretty decent. Definitely a huge step up in quality from the Essentials, though usually featuring fewer issues per volume. I actually prefer the lower page count, since the binding is just glued and I don't like bending glued TPBs too much to keep the art from getting cut off in the middle. The coloring on the couple of volumes I have is very nice, though clearly restored to some degree.

For something like Moon Knight which, to my knowledge, doesn't have a proper hardcover collection available, it's a solid deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Finally

quote:

THE FANTASTIC FOUR OMNIBUS VOL. 3 HC ROSS COVER
Written by STAN LEE
Penciled by JACK KIRBY Covers by ALEX ROSS & JACK KIRBY Under Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, FANTASTIC FOUR earned the tagline “The World’s Greatest Comic Magazine.” And there’s no doubting it when you read the adventures they have in store for you in their third Omnibus collection! It’s one history-making hit after another — the first appearances of the Kree, Annihilus and “Him” (a.k.a. Adam Warlock); team-ups with the Inhumans and Silver Surfer; and the birth of Franklin Richards! Add in classic enemies Dr. Doom, the Mole Man and Galactus — and Crystal’s first outing as a member of the FF — and you know what? “The World’s Greatest Comic Magazine” is an understatement. These are some of the greatest adventures of all time! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #61-93 and ANNUAL #5-7, and material from NOT BRAND ECHH #5-7.
952 PGS./All Ages …$99.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-9174-2
Trim size: oversized

THE FANTASTIC FOUR OMNIBUS VOL. 3 HC KIRBY COVER (DM ONLY)
952 PGS./All Ages …$99.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-9175-9
Trim size: oversized

It seems like a decade since the first one came out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Finally

It seems like a decade since the first one came out.

It was since it came out as the same time as the first Fantastic Four movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

It was since it came out as the same time as the first Fantastic Four movie.

You bastard, I feel old enough as is!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What happened to that no volume three thing?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The is the first numbered volume three since the Tomb of Dracula omnibuses, but there's technically been four Brubaker Cap omnis which haven't been numerically ordered.

I reckon there'll be a third Uncanny X-Men one, at least.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Alias omni reprint is out this week, I really want to get it but I am completely out of space on my shelves. :ohdear: I think I need to stop buying hardcovers. (Or just buy a new bookcase...)

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
New bookcase man, nothing more satisfying than a shiney new display for your obsessive compulsions. I'm filling a new one now myself!

The question I'm dealing with now is this time do I feel like pushing the books all the way to the back or keep them flush against the shelf edge. Which is also the least important question.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I know...I got the first Hellboy Library edition a few weeks ago, and have nowhere to put it. I also want to get the X-Men Omni v2, plus the Hickman FF omni v2 is out soon, as well as the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers OSHC. I'm also conscious of the fact that I also may have to move within the next few months. :ohdear:

(This is the First Worldest of First World Problems).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Agent_grey posted:

New bookcase man, nothing more satisfying than a shiney new display for your obsessive compulsions. I'm filling a new one now myself!

The question I'm dealing with now is this time do I feel like pushing the books all the way to the back or keep them flush against the shelf edge. Which is also the least important question.

Shelf edge. That way all the spines line up even if the books have wildly different depths.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
For those of you needing more bookshelf space, if you have a drill, a circular saw, a wide hallway with narrower doors on each end (narrower than the hallway I mean), and any tool-using ability, I can advise on a really easy way to build bookshelves for very little money.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Uthor posted:

Shelf edge. That way all the spines line up even if the books have wildly different depths.

You get less dust that way too, and it looks cool.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I am making some room on my shelves. Come buy some stuff. Some Image trades, Usagi books and other stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sporklift1/m.html

I can combine and discount shipping if you win multiple items.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mentioned this in the DC thread: the second JSA omnibus is now slightly less likely to destroy your bookshelves because they've announced a third instalment in the series.

Also, has the Death of Superman omnibus gone out of print? The prices for it seem to have gone up quite a bit lately.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Also, has the Death of Superman omnibus gone out of print? The prices for it seem to have gone up quite a bit lately.

It has, I hadn't realized the price had jumped when I put my copy on Amazon. It sold for far less than it probably should have.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
So they're coming out with a Deluxe version of New Frontier. It's been on my todo list for a while, but would I be happier with the Absolute? I tend not to care about sketches in the back, but it looks like the abs may have new content too.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
I'd say go with the Absolute, simply because the art looks amazing at that scale (and it's still relatively cheap).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was my first Absolute and still among my favorites. Go with the bigass version.