Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

paragon1 posted:

Can you imagine if we had that for early Christianity?

"Christ: What a putz."

right it's like we had a text complaining about all about those weird smelly dudes he's always hanging around with, especially that peter guy, what an obsessive dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CoolCab posted:

For example, even though it seems very progressive to defining a bunch of the other religions as manifestations of the divine, ie, God sends us the messenger we needed at that time, and all the harmful stuff is mankind filtering God's message. This discounts, uh, quite a bit of major religious texts (!) and is somewhat offensive to some people (!!)

To be fair, Christianity was doing that to Judaism from the start, as did Islam to both. :shobon:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To be fair, Christianity was doing that to Judaism from the start, as did Islam to both. :shobon:

oh absolutely, and that's the major reason that Bahá'í is still (last I checked) a persecuted religion in Iran; Mohammad is the last prophet pretty unambiguously in the Koran (please correct me if I'm wrong) so the Iranian government sure hates the faith. some of my best friends growing up were religious refugees from there, they introduced me to nutella like fifteen years early: holy poo poo it's chocolate you're allowed to eat in a sandwich omg :3:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dreylad posted:

that's high modernist as hell

Employment and Employee Benefits

People will have the option of working either inside or outside Victory City. The Victory City complex will include adequate office space in the commercial buildings, as well as light industry and manufacturing buildings, and each of these will be within walking distance from the residential buildings. Employees in services businesses will be able to telecommute from their apartments via the Internet.
Employee Stock Purchase Plan

All Victory City employees will be required to accept new Victory City Corporation common stock as partial payment of their wages and salary. This stock may not be sold so long as they work for Victory City. These rules will be a condition of employment and must be agreed to in writing before employment commences. The funds thus derived will be used to help finance the building of new Victory Cities.

The dividends received by the employees will act as an incentive to stimulate a general interest in the success of Victory City. The more success, the more dividends.
Inexpensive Job Transfers

As progress in our civilization accelerates, many changes in industry are taking place. There are changes in product and changes in plant size and location, and accompanying changes in jobs. This means learning new skills and transferring from one location to another in order that there may be progress. Job transfers apply to both the laborer and the executive. Everyone is subject to a job transfer from one city to another or to another state or foreign country. The transfer may be within the same company or to another and over a period of time; there may be several transfers for one individual.

The Victory City system will make these job transfers as painless and inexpensive as possible. Since all apartments in Victory City will be completely furnished, there will be no expense in moving furniture. Since there are no kitchens or dining rooms, there will be no dishes and glasses, etc., to pack. Since everyone lives in apartments, there will be no houses to buy or sell and no moving delays. All you would do is pack your bags and go. If you were moving to another Victory City, you could make reservations in advance.

The Victory City system is another example of how Victory City promotes progress while accommodating individuals. Expect more job transfers in the future. Victory City will be ready.

Food System

The bulk of Victory City's food will come from Victory City's own farms in the surrounding countryside just beyond the circular highway. Every day, fresh vegetables, fruit, dairy products and meat will be picked, brought into Victory City, and prepared, cooked, served and eaten all in the same day. As soon as food is brought in, it will be cooked in the all-electric kitchens, brought up to the cafeteria on high-speed elevators, and served on the Circl-Serv. From a nutritional standpoint, this will bolster the health and stamina of all Victory City individuals and perhaps contribute to a more favorable course for the future evolution of man.

From an economical standpoint, great savings will be made by the elimination of all types of food stores, the supermarket grocery chain stores, the supporting wholesale warehouses, the fleet of trucks to move all the food back and forth, the food processors, packagers, canneries, bakeries, meat packing plants, etc. The cost of canning, freezing or dehydrating food will be gone. Fresh food is better tasting and better nutritionally, anyway.

There will be no need for preservatives, artificial flavors, artificial coloring, monosodium glutamate, excessive spices, cornstarch, pectin, cellulose, bleached degerminated white flour, salt, refined sugar, water and numerous additives and chemicals. Most of this junk will be eliminated.

We are what we eat.
Greenhouses, Fish Tanks and Poultry Center

Each factory-sized kitchen will have greenhouses on both sides. Included in the structure will be fish tanks and a poultry center. The greenhouses will be temperature-controlled with artificial sunlight to facilitate growth of vegetables and fruits all year round.
Teenage Students to Work Farms

To qualify for their free high school and college education, all teenagers will be required to work on the farms and in the greenhouses. For additional incentive, it will probably be necessary to pay them according to the quantity and quality of their work. The outdoor work will be healthy for them and will provide new knowledge, variety of experience, and a broader view of life.
Circl-Serv™ Cafeteria
Serving More Food to More People in Less Time with a Minimum of Labor

Circl-Serv™ is literally a counter revolution in food service. Unlike a straight line counter layout, where patrons slide a tray along (as fast as the slowest person ahead will allow), Circl-Serv brings the food to the customer, quickly.

In fact, with the wheel divided into thirds, a patron can make his selection in seconds. In that time, a complete menu will have come past a customer station — soup, casseroles, entrees and vegetables, warmed constantly by travelling overhead heaters, while salads, beverages and cold desserts are in the chilled section. Sandwiches, pastries and other snacks are carried in adjoining room temperature sections.

In addition to serving more food to more people, Circl-Serv installations are reporting significant reductions in labor costs. But, that isn't too surprising since man's invention, the wheel, as embodied in the Circl-Serv food service system, was designed to save time and labor.
Benefits of the Circl-Serv Cafeteria System

Food moves to the customer, always in sight, within easy reach
Fast food service
Built-in efficiency reduces labor costs
Requires less area than straight line service
Motion adds a merchandising buy-appeal to food, improves check average
Minimum mechanical installation costs
Heaters rotate with hot foods section, to retain optimum temperature
Mechanically cooled cold sections
Speed of rotation easily adjusted from kitchen
Factory installed and operable within two weeks

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
huh

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 18, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arial view of Nahalal, the first Moshav in Israel.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Arial view of Nahalal, the first Moshav in Israel.

That doesn't look very convenient to traverse if you're on the circle

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

double nine posted:

Looks more convenient than a typical American suburban maze, in my opinion.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

double nine posted:

The point is that the houses and community areas are in the center, while the fields are on the circle. It does make inheritance and adding new people problematic, though.

ETA: Also, if you lot aren't reading the new Eripsa thread, you're missing out:

Eripsa posted:

white supremacists are persons and deserve communities too

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 18, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Safety and Security
Security Cameras

If legally possible, there will be a private police and fire department at Victory City. There will also be closed-circuit television cameras to monitor every hall on each floor and in all public places. In police headquarters, there will be a large room with hundreds of television receivers lining the walls. There will be a TV set for each TV camera. This will enable the police to watch all halls and public places in the building 24 hours a day.

Generally speaking, the people in Victory City will not have occasion to carry money on them or to have any in their apartment. Virtually all the money will be in the one vault of the one bank. This bank will be located in such a way that it will be completely surrounded by police headquarters.

The hall leading into the bank will be lined with one-way, see-through security mirrors, allowing the police to watch everyone entering and leaving the bank. There will be doors at each end of the hall which can be automatically closed and locked in case of emergency or potential robbery in progress. Lock-down buttons will be located in either the bank or in police headquarters. After the bank robber or would-be robber is trapped in the hall, gas will automatically fill the space unless turned off. When the robber is unconscious, overcome by the gas, the police can open a door into the hall and go in wearing gas masks, remove the burglar on a stretcher; carry him into police headquarters and put him in jail. The gas in the hall can be removed through a vent by turning on an exhaust fan.
Identification Requirements

The greatest security in Victory City will be derived from the extremely strict requirements of all residents and visitors. When a person meets these requirement, he will be issued a bankbook with his photo on it. This bankbook will entitle him to live in or travel to and visit any Victory City in the world for the rest of his life. Without it, a person will be barred from entering, but may apply for visitors' credentials in a special application office, one of which will be located in each Victory City.

The application will be highly detailed and will be followed by a thorough investigation, fingerprinting, photographing and complete physical examination, before final approval.

Before entering any Victory City, a person must show his bankbook to a guard (Victory City private police) who will compare the photo on the book with the person presenting it to ascertain proper identity. These checkpoints at all entrances will be monitored by police on closed-circuit TV.

In case of emergency, the members of the fire department will back up the police as their second line of defense, and the police will be the second line of defense to back up the firemen. Each will have some training in the other's duties for this purpose.

It must be understood that Victory City will be a private city and that all the land owned by it will be private property. Unauthorized persons will be fined for trespassing. The exception to this will be the highway system which, by necessity, must tie into and become a part of the public highway system. Included in the exception will be the Transportation Building, the Tri-Center, the public parking area and filling stations, auto repair garage, new and used car dealers, etc.

In the far distant future, perhaps 100 to 150 million years from now when 90% of the people in the U.S. are living in Victory Cities, the major portion of all crimes committed will be concentrated amongst the remaining 10% of the people still living in the old obsolete cities. This will enable the entire might of the nation — all its financial resources, local police forces, state troopers, national guard, FBI, and all the federal military forces — to concentrate on the 10% instead of being spread thin amongst 100% of the people.
Fire Department and Fire Prevention

There will be fire hoses, fire extinguishers, sprinkler systems and fire alarm systems throughout the building. The entire building, including all apartments, will be inspected routinely and frequently for fire or explosion hazards.

There will not be one stick of wood used in the construction of Victory City nor in any of the furniture, furnishings or equipment in Victory City. Not only will this make the building more fireproof, but it will also help preserve what is left of the forests of our land.

The building will be of reinforced poured concrete construction with a glass curtain wall on the outside. The interior walls will be mostly concrete, but some will be made of removable metal partitions which will have a non-flammable plastic foam in the center, sandwiched between two sheets of metal, probably aluminum with a baked enamel in various decorator colors. The furniture will all be metal, similar to office furniture, and will be specially designed for Victory City so that not an inch of space will be wasted, and each individual item of furniture will be designated for a particular position in an apartment.

The ideal arrangement will be predetermined with the location of all furniture to be included in the architect's plans and each piece of furniture specified in detail. In place of curtains and drapes, there will be "ornamental light diffusers" made out of metal, ceramics and glass and possibly other fireproof materials.

Of great value in fire prevention will be the absence of kitchens from all the apartments in the entire residential building. This means there will be no gas, no 220 wiring for electric stoves, no stove of any kind, no kitchen appliances and no matches.

See also: Slide 14 of the Victory City Tour.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've got a question for R. Mute: do you take offense to the use of both a Dutch- and French-derived word in "Harlem Renaissance"?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I bet there will totally be a United States in 100 to 150 million years

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

:getin:

e: sorry, i didn't realize it would be so huge. thats what i get for phonepostin!

Swan Oat fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 19, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ach! Meines Tables!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What is with all the six-hour probations lately? They seem kind of out of control.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

StandardVC10 posted:

What is with all the six-hour probations lately? They seem kind of out of control.

GBS is going off the wall with gimmick threads that the mods are taking seriously.

My favorite is Every post itt is a cordial letter (you get probated if you post informally), but I don't think I'm going to post in any of them, myself.

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

sweden is hunting a damaged russian sub in it's territorial waters, I'm surprised no one has posted about it yet

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
gbs is one of the better forums imo, u guys should post there more often

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jesus Horse posted:

sweden is hunting a damaged russian sub in it's territorial waters, I'm surprised no one has posted about it yet

It's like the Hunt for Red October, without the Red.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Absurd Alhazred posted:

GBS is going off the wall with gimmick threads that the mods are taking seriously.

My favorite is Every post itt is a cordial letter (you get probated if you post informally), but I don't think I'm going to post in any of them, myself.

THE NEW GAMERGATE THREAD

Spanish Manlove posted:

Time to test GBS's reading comprehension: if you post in this thread I will probate you.

Well played, Francostein. Well played.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
About to participate in some CIVIC DUTY

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

mooyashi posted:

heh yes on 68

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jesus Horse posted:

russia should really just give up on submarines, they've not had much luck with them

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I see that Goddamn Obongo's got y'all votin' in Messican now.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

mooyashi posted:

One in the garbage, one in the drain. We're all proud of you!

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Jagchosis posted:

heh yes on 68

I'm fine with that. Who doesn't love gambling? Who gives a poo poo about the 5 year exclusivity?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

MariusLecter posted:

One in the garbage, one in the drain. We're all proud of you!

Hey man, I'm ballin' on a budget for now. Can't always be Leopold Bros. Naval Strength

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
one of the lower appellate court judge spots on my ballot has 19 people running. who the gently caress decided that was a good idea

it was pretty easy to narrow down the list though by eliminating the 15 or so who got their jd from campbell, which is barely a step up from like regent or anal roberts university

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

comes along bort posted:

one of the lower appellate court judge spots on my ballot has 19 people running. who the gently caress decided that was a good idea

it was pretty easy to narrow down the list though by eliminating the 15 or so who got their jd from campbell, which is barely a step up from like regent or anal roberts university

Electing judges is some messed up poo poo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Electing judges is some messed up poo poo.

especially since in nc they decided to kill public financing for judicial campaigns so all the assholes can pony up to buy the courts even more easily than they already do

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

comes along bort posted:

especially since in nc they decided to kill public financing for judicial campaigns so all the assholes can pony up to buy the courts even more easily than they already do

:monocle:

:smith:

:smithicide:

Let us distract ourselves with bread and circuses! It is time for the live World Championship of LoL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY-hTW1W-DU

(I am actually going to sleep, but y'all have fun! :howdy:)

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
NC is still my spirit state, and one day I want to move back. I can wait til y'all try and sort out those fuckers, though. Here's hoping Kansas is an omen.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Still, taxation occurs whether individuals know it or not. Inflation is a form of taxation, and we do not inflate our currency enough.
I don't think so, Tim.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
XyloJW Nintendo Kid and Cemetery Gator are ruining the Libertarian thread by talking about radio make 'em stooooooooooooooop. :qq:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

paragon1 posted:

XyloJW Nintendo Kid and Cemetery Gator are ruining the Libertarian thread by talking about radio make 'em stooooooooooooooop. :qq:

You can't ruin a Libertarian thread since ipso facto it is poo poo.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i went on a weekend with friends we had a quiz with lots of drinking WHICH I MADE and the next day we went paintballing and i shot a lot of my friends with paintballs because they're not very good at it and then in the evening we did a cantus and i sang the internationale really loudly at several points during the night and today we went to visit a brewery but that was lost on me tbh

that was my weekend i'm tired

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

i went on a weekend with friends we had a quiz with lots of drinking WHICH I MADE and the next day we went paintballing and i shot a lot of my friends with paintballs because they're not very good at it and then in the evening we did a cantus and i sang the internationale really loudly at several points during the night and today we went to visit a brewery but that was lost on me tbh

that was my weekend i'm tired

Jealous. I think it will be a while before I can have an actual fun weekend again. :smith:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mooyashi posted:

NC is still my spirit state, and one day I want to move back. I can wait til y'all try and sort out those fuckers, though. Here's hoping Kansas is an omen.

supposedly there's a better than decent chance the republicans will lose their veto-proof majority in at least one chamber of the general assembly, in large part because urban districts are already in the dummymander stage due to continued growth

plus apparently the republican advantage on mail-in ballots isn't as big as it was in 2010. i wouldn't put it past state dems to gently caress up a good opportunity though

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Let us distract ourselves with bread and circuses!

Bread and circuses won't answer, ask me about the seahawks :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Bread and circuses won't answer, ask me about the seahawks :smithicide:

I don't really believe in sports. I think they're all holograms.

• Locked thread