Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I like the gameplay changes but Christ these quests are bad and or boring. For the first time since BL1 I'm just wishing the game would be over already. The amount of backtracking involved in side quests in comparison to BL2 is making it far worse than if they were spaced better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Gameko posted:

Surprised there's not more interest in this game. Feels like people are more interested in BL2 still. I figured the pre-sequel would absorb all the fans.

As much as I liked Borderlands in general , TPS kinda looks like expansion pack material. If there were more drastic changes/additions I'd grab it sooner, but holding out for a steam sale until then.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's maybe irrational since I could theoretically take a break at any time but I don't like back to back to back to back main quests, like what happens when you go to build the robot army.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

ArchRanger posted:

I like the gameplay changes but Christ these quests are bad and or boring. For the first time since BL1 I'm just wishing the game would be over already. The amount of backtracking involved in side quests in comparison to BL2 is making it far worse than if they were spaced better.

Yeah, either they didn't try at all or they tried way too hard to make you do more than just kill people. I preferred the combat in BL1 to either BL2-3, but at least BL2 had more active combat. This game is like 90% walking around.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Grinder changed the game, in multiplayer we all can get full purple weapons instead of fighting over the one that drops. Its pretty nice.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Drakes posted:

As much as I liked Borderlands in general , TPS kinda looks like expansion pack material. If there were more drastic changes/additions I'd grab it sooner, but holding out for a steam sale until then.

Yeah. It really is a very big expansion pack. Gearbox even admitted that Presequel mostly exists because they couldn't keep adding expansions to BL2 due to memory limitations.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah. It really is a very big expansion pack. Gearbox even admitted that Presequel mostly exists because they couldn't keep adding expansions to BL2 due to memory limitations.

It's a shame. They took a bunch of great individual ideas and combined them into a product that's merely good, if flawed.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Sadly the OP of this thread is pretty thread-bare, so apologies if this gets asked often: Are there any file downloads we could use to fake the game into thinking I own BL and BL2? I really don't wanna redownload both of the games from Steam again. Also, I think I'm an idiot here, but is anyone having trouble with Golden Keys not showing in-game? I unlocked them in SHiFt or whatever, but still shows 0 Golden Keys when I'm standing at the chest in-game :(

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Yeah I'm working through TVHM at the moment, but my general feeling of Borderlands 1.5 is that it is a good game punctuated by moments of badness, most notably, the RK4 fight, any boss fight which respawns you somewhere with no way to buy ammo (I'm pretty sure virtually all if not every boss fight in BL2 respawned you next to an ammo vendor), and the way every single main quest followed the exact same format of "go here -> OH NO ROUTE BLOCKED -> Alternative route" every single time.

But then I zoom about bouncing between enemies and impaling them on my sword, and for a while, at least, I can forgive that.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sestze posted:

I finally beat RK5, but I had to grind two levels and use the grinder repeatedly until I ended up with a decent corrosive weapon to shoot him down.

Not looking forward to that fight in TVHM.

It took me like twenty attempts (I literally gained two or three levels purely from attempts to kill that bastard) even with a decent corrosive weapon (Maliwan laser SMG, basically) - which was promptly replaced by a purple version of the same gun that dropped off RK5, because the RNG is a colossal troll.

edit:

Reveilled posted:

Yeah I'm working through TVHM at the moment, but my general feeling of Borderlands 1.5 is that it is a good game punctuated by moments of badness, most notably, the RK4 fight, any boss fight which respawns you somewhere with no way to buy ammo (I'm pretty sure virtually all if not every boss fight in BL2 respawned you next to an ammo vendor), and the way every single main quest followed the exact same format of "go here -> OH NO ROUTE BLOCKED -> Alternative route" every single time.

But then I zoom about bouncing between enemies and impaling them on my sword, and for a while, at least, I can forgive that.

That said for all that I might bitch I basically agree with this: there are bad moments but overall I am having fun and enjoying the gameplay and even the character moments such as they are (playing Nisha is a really good way to realise that Jack may have been poised to fall from grace but you are certainly helping kick him down that slippery slope at every opportunity), so expectations fulfilled for Borderlands 1.5

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 19, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mental Midget posted:

Sadly the OP of this thread is pretty thread-bare, so apologies if this gets asked often: Are there any file downloads we could use to fake the game into thinking I own BL and BL2? I really don't wanna redownload both of the games from Steam again.

You can download files from somewhere like gamefaqs. All it looks for is saves games.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Also, it turns out that the bug where you get stuck in the moonshot container is due to startupmovies being disabled. Reenable that until you get past that part and then you're good.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Mental Midget posted:

Also, I think I'm an idiot here, but is anyone having trouble with Golden Keys not showing in-game? I unlocked them in SHiFt or whatever, but still shows 0 Golden Keys when I'm standing at the chest in-game :(
You actually need to retrieve them in-game from the machine opposite the elevator leading to the meriff's office.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Dicky B posted:

You actually need to retrieve them in-game from the machine opposite the elevator leading to the meriff's office.

Mokinokaro posted:

You can download files from somewhere like gamefaqs. All it looks for is saves games.

Thanks guys your help got me all sorted out! Time to get some PURPZ :)

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Did we end up with a metatag for this?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I beat RK5 in TVHM by staying in the elevator where you start and periodically plinking at him with a railgun while calling out Wolf for a diversion when I could and running out to the nearest O2 station for air when I started to run low.

It took forever but it worked.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The Rokstar posted:

I beat RK5 in TVHM by staying in the elevator where you start and periodically plinking at him with a railgun while calling out Wolf for a diversion when I could and running out to the nearest O2 station for air when I started to run low.

It took forever but it worked.

Note that you can actually take the elevator back up to refresh your O2 and ammo if you're quick about it. The boss's health will reset if you take too long, but it takes a minute or two.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Zurai posted:

Note that you can actually take the elevator back up to refresh your O2 and ammo if you're quick about it. The boss's health will reset if you take too long, but it takes a minute or two.

Ammo wasn't a problem because (like I posted at some point here) you get a bunch of ammo for some reason when vengeance cannon activates. If I wasn't using Wilhelm that strat probably wouldn't work.

Edit: I also have a theory that railguns have bootleg b0re properties since they pierce, because every once in a REALLLY great while a shot against something big like RK5 or the final boss will do far more damage than usual.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 19, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't get the trouble you're all having with RK5. I just shot at it while moving around, and it went down easily, in ng at least (haven't gotten to it in TVHM yet).

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The Rokstar posted:

Edit: I also have a theory that railguns have bootleg b0re properties since they pierce, because every once in a REALLLY great while a shot against something big like RK5 or the final boss will do far more damage than usual.

If it has overlapping hitboxes then you could probably hit multiple with a single railgun shot and that woould do [damage] * [amount of hitboxes hit].

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Genocyber posted:

I don't get the trouble you're all having with RK5. I just shot at it while moving around, and it went down easily, in ng at least (haven't gotten to it in TVHM yet).

Honestly pretty much everything is easy in normal mode, even the raid boss. In TVHM things get WAY harder.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I don't know who thought that the borderlands series needed a bunch of dumb platforming added with how wonky collision detection is on their environment already but they are dumb. Otherwise, most of the new stuff is cool.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

ArchRanger posted:

How does the backtracking measure up to the Firehawk quest chain, particularly the backtracking in southern ice shelf?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Ulvirich posted:

How does the backtracking measure up to the Firehawk quest chain, particularly the backtracking in southern ice shelf?

Let's just say that Borderlands: Detour would've been a much more fitting, and catchier, title.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ulvirich posted:

Not as bad as that, for the most part.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Ulvirich posted:

Pretty bad. They either forgot to put more waypoints up or decided not to in order to pad the game's length out to justify a 60 dollar price tag.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Ulvirich posted:

Worse, because instead of just once it happens every single quest hub.

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006
Not every single quest is that bad but there is at least one in each batch of quests that is run around the entire zone and come back across one or two zones to turn it in.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Ghostpilot posted:

Also, holy crap, Wilhelm's Divert Power (Cyber Commando tree) is either bugged or just straight bonkers. Get that if you absolutely, positively, do not want to die and exploit the hell out of amped shields.

Ah, thats why I did not even go into ffyl even once on the final sentinal fights. I thought they just made it impossible to lose your shield.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Speaking of Sentinel, any idea how to avoid getting knocked into the death ceiling for the raid version? It seems really hard to avoid unless I want to butt stomp into the ground, which IIRC is also damaging at that time. I'll possibly try to solo the TVHM version and that's going to be a lot harder most likely.

EDIT: STILL have no idea about how to get to Sub-Level 13.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Everyone posted:

Borderlands: Detour

Welp, I really hated the backtracking in both previous Borderlands, particularly 2, so I will give this game a pass then. Thanks for saving me the dosh, folks!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Speaking of Sentinel, any idea how to avoid getting knocked into the death ceiling for the raid version? It seems really hard to avoid unless I want to butt stomp into the ground, which IIRC is also damaging at that time. I'll possibly try to solo the TVHM version and that's going to be a lot harder most likely.

EDIT: STILL have no idea about how to get to Sub-Level 13.

The problem with Sub-Level 13, as with 90% of TPS problems, is that Pickle is involved. Despite what your mission tracker is insisting, he starts the quest, which should put a marker on your map.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Athena loving rules, I've been playing her by just running up to enemies and tanking like a mofo with my shield.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Athena loving rules, I've been playing her by just running up to enemies and tanking like a mofo with my shield.

Yup. She doesn't have many early-game regeneration abilities but she doesn't really NEED them since she just totally negates damage from the front.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Wilhelm is an awesome character. I only upgraded the cybercommando tree that buffs only him and hes amazing with the explosive punch and lasercannons. I havent even started upgrading wolf and he still wrecks poo poo on default. ITs going to be nuts when hes upgraded.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
So was this game supposed to be chronicling Jack's fall into a being a sociopathic piece of poo poo or documenting Lilith being the runner up biggest piece of poo poo in the series? I feel it did the latter far better.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

Yup. She doesn't have many early-game regeneration abilities but she doesn't really NEED them since she just totally negates damage from the front.

Any weapon suggestions?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Any weapon suggestions?

If you're feeling cheesy don't turn in that Moxxie weapon you get from one of the first sidequests and just melee/grenade everything to death. It heals you for about half of any damage you deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
That continuos laser is so good I've been using it for ten levels np. I can't wait to get a level appropriate one

• Locked thread