Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

On another subject, at this point I'm pretty convinced that along with Croatian weapons and US TOW ATGMs, the Friends of Syria backed "moderate" rebel groups are receiving brand new SPG-9, such as this video shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLTtNrsxLOM

This is one of those groups getting all the latest Friends of Syria supplied weapons, and it seems every one of them has these, and unlike the others captured from the Syrian military they appear to be brand new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pretty handy weapon to have for a bunch of rebels trucking it/going on foot. Dunno if it can do much against modern tanks, but 550/400(+ERA) RHA penetration is decent against the older stuff Assad is mostly stuck with by now.

The rebels could probably do with some Carl Gustavs too, can't quite remember if any group down there did end up with some of those - but only illumination rounds or something? Was it the German shipment to the Kurds in Iraq?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Pimpmust posted:

Pretty handy weapon to have for a bunch of rebels trucking it/going on foot. Dunno if it can do much against modern tanks, but 550/400(+ERA) RHA penetration is decent against the older stuff Assad is mostly stuck with by now.

The rebels could probably do with some Carl Gustavs too, can't quite remember if any group down there did end up with some of those - but only illumination rounds or something? Was it the German shipment to the Kurds in Iraq?

Supposedly that was part of the supply Germany was providing the Kurds, although I've not seen any in action yet, but the Kurdish groups tend not to be so prolific with their videos as other Syrian groups.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Brown Moses posted:

Supposedly that was part of the supply Germany was providing the Kurds, although I've not seen any in action yet, but the Kurdish groups tend not to be so prolific with their videos as other Syrian groups.

BM can you tweet that YPG spokesman and get them to step up their youtube game? Saleh Muslim probably has an account.

The problem with Syrian Kurd videos is that they are endlessly reposted.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Torpor posted:

BM can you tweet that YPG spokesman and get them to step up their youtube game?

Maybe things are logistically limited these days. How much bandwidth and electricity do you expect to find in that warzone?

It doesn't seem like we've seen much ISIL content either, there might be more efforts in place to control what makes it online these days as well.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

cochise posted:

Wait, was it a blonde girl? I think I remember that. I remember Pat Dollard promoting this young blonde girl a lot.

Could be! Sounds right up Dollard's alley. I did a little more digging and I found it:

http://greatsatansgirlfriend.blogspot.com/

It's more terrible than I remember- I can't believe they didn't stop after they got found out.

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2011/09/simulacra
http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2011/09/12/316422/girls-and-guns-great-satans-girlfriend-and-gay-girl-in-damascus/
http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/09/09/phony_great_satans_girlfriend
http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/great-satans-girlfriend

What a clusterfuck that was. Surely the weirdest thing to happen in the defense blogosphere.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Those aren't the best heavy weapons, but they're gonna make all those captured vehicles ISIS are enjoying too much trouble to be worth maintaining. Neat.

village catamite
Apr 7, 2009
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/17/us-mideast-crisis-jets-idUSKCN0I60TM20141017

Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is claiming that IS is now flying captured migs around Aleppo. I'm assuming this is fearmongering BS, the US military says it has no evidence of these flights occurring. If it is true, maybe the F22 will actually get to see some aerial combat :v:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

village catamite posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/17/us-mideast-crisis-jets-idUSKCN0I60TM20141017

Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is claiming that IS is now flying captured migs around Aleppo. I'm assuming this is fearmongering BS, the US military says it has no evidence of these flights occurring. If it is true, maybe the F22 will actually get to see some aerial combat :v:

Saw similar reports from BBC this evening.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

The Oryx blog suggests they'd have limited hardware to choose from.

http://spioenkop.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-islamic-state-operating-fighter.html?spref=tw

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Likely with SOHR as the source. That guy isn't always accurate, but it would seem out of character from my experience for him to claim something like that without at least circumstantial evidence. It may later be debunked, but it's interesting he's reporting it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

Kardashian look-alike? That doesn't even make sense.

Edit: Sorry, click bait headlines make me angry. "Pretty Middle Eastern girl? Kardashian look alike!" Otherwise seemed like a good general profile. The whole Postol dimension of the story has always been so weird.

Seriously can you think of two women who look more different.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

swizz posted:

Am I missing something significant about her background, aside from her being Syrian? She is a relatively uneducated college dropout with little substantive expertise, correct?

Background doesn't come into it. She's decently charismatic, ridiculously attractive (in a subculture filled with socially inept men), a very good liar, knows exactly how to play the conspiracy crowd and tell them what they want to hear, and has that "high functioning crazy person" aura of strong conviction. It's the classic cult leader personality, people like that are really good at accumulating rabid followings among disaffected oddballs.

Also, keep in mind that in conspiracy theory circles credentials can almost make you suspect rather than trustworthy, as they're a sign of approval from The Establishment. What counts isn't a fancy degree, it's being really insistent that you're the bearer of some hidden gospel truth. Despite how much they want to see themselves as independent free thinkers, internet conspiracists almost always gather around charismatic leaders and obsessively defend them against all accusations. (while denouncing everyone else as mindless sheeple :ironicat:)

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
While kustomkarkommando or others who have a good understanding of Kurdish politics can speak to the nuances, this seemed like a good surface primer on the relationship between the PKK and Iraqi Kurdistan in the wake of Kobane, Sinjar and so on:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/10/17/pkk-s-rise-in-iraqikurdistan.html

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcuQ2b3b784

I think the video is mislabeled, not sure where this is from. Whatever is going on is intense, though.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=852_1412976169

:ughh: Kurd propaganda needs some assistance

edit: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3e0_1412529285

:toot:

Torpor fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 18, 2014

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

It can do quite a lot against modern tanks provided you shoot the sides/rear. More importantly it's a relatively portable and accurate gun that can deal with forces holed up in buildings or behind cover out to distances beyond the effective range of most rifles.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Torpor posted:

I think the video is mislabeled, not sure where this is from. Whatever is going on is intense, though.

That is nuts. Where the hell did that ZSU(?) come from? Didn't think either side had that kind of weaponry.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

He has crazy pull from the rank and file members, what he says is still very much gospel - this is the man who pretty much single handedly changed the PKK's founding ideology from his prison cell with two books, Apo has a massive cult of personality and if he comes out in favour of continuing the peace process the vast majority of PKK members will tow the line. There may be a handful who will be unhappy (Bayik, Erdal and other members of the military leadership) but none of them have the influence/reputation to command a significant popular movement, as the enforcers of discipline within the organization they have done some things that even PKK members find questionable.

Well, the KNC and the PYD have already signed an agreement under the auspices of Barzani that in theory should have lead to power-sharing through the KSC. In practice the agreement was never really implemented and the KSC became a completely irrelevant body riven by inter-party rivalries. There were continual attempts to reconcile the two main factions that never got off the ground, then the PYD went ahead and unilaterally declared the autonomy of Rojava without consulting the KSC and created the current administrative cantons which were then immediately boycotted by Barzani and the KNC.

I mean, they could possibly reach an agreement but it would have to be a pretty meaty one that goes beyond the usual cheer-leading for Kurdish Unity - the last power sharing agreement was a disaster and the PYD are arguable in an even stronger position now than back in 2012 and Barzani is not a man who gives concessions easily.

edit:

Yeah, the whole autonomous cantons thing is the PYD's baby (they have got a couple of other minor parties on board though) and was very much a big "gently caress You" after the PYD got frozen out of Geneva II. Barzani flipped his poo poo over it because the KNC were left out in the cold and built a big loving trench along the Syrian border in a bizarre act of revenge.

Which two books were those, by Oclan? I see he has three that he wrote in prison, The Roots of Civilisation, The PKK and the Kurdish Question in the 21st Century and The Road Map to Negotiations. I'm going to assume its the two latter ones that were actually influential.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Alex DeLarge posted:

That is nuts. Where the hell did that ZSU(?) come from? Didn't think either side had that kind of weaponry.

It's possible this video was mislabeled. It looks like it could be one of the many Syrian regime vs FSA videos that had been floating around. Might explain the ZSU. Or, maybe ISIS captured a zsu and this really is Kobane. They have other heavy vehicles like tanks already.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Count Roland posted:

Which two books were those, by Oclan? I see he has three that he wrote in prison, The Roots of Civilisation, The PKK and the Kurdish Question in the 21st Century and The Road Map to Negotiations. I'm going to assume its the two latter ones that were actually influential.

Yeah, I would say the second and third volumes of his prison writings are the ones that actually had a major impact in reshaping the PKK's ideology - Roots is very abstract and doesn't really address the Kurdish issue at all (apart from some bizarre claims that Kurds have represented opposition to centralism for 5,000 years) and largely serves to provide an ideological basis for his more focused writings on What Is To Be Done that laid out direct policy suggestions.

Today, Iraq finally got around to appointing a Minister for the Interior and Minister for Defence. The Interior post went to Mohammed al-Ghabban, a Baghdadi Shia from the Iranian-proxy Badr organization, which isn't exactly great - it's better than them getting the defence spot which is what they had been angling for since Abadi was appointed. Defence went to Khaled al-Obeidi, a Sunni from Mosul and the Muttahidoon (the largest Sunni party) pick for the spot - he was also Allawi's pick for defence minister back in 2011 but his own party was against his appointment apparently due to his friendly relations with Malaki. I've seen some sources claim he used to be an air force officer under Saddam which is interesting.

The Iraqi Kurdish parties also shuffled their ministers around, something that was a bit controversial as the Kurdish parties insisted this could be done without the new ministers being voted on by parliament. Seems like they lost that argument as they were voted on even though the vote was just a rubber-stamp for the reshuffle.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Alex DeLarge posted:

ISIS are pretty much a regular army at this point. It's why they're taking so much ground and why they're going to be completely hosed the second a modern state begins to take them seriously.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

They are the modern army of a Sunni state. They can easily revert to nonconventional resistance if another state moves in. Why aren't public overtures to moderates in that territory made? Is putting Humpty Dumpty back together again more important than regional stability?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Coldwar timewarp posted:

They are the modern army of a Sunni state. They can easily revert to nonconventional resistance if another state moves in. Why aren't public overtures to moderates in that territory made? Is putting Humpty Dumpty back together again more important than regional stability?

What are the moderates going to do besides get hustled into a mass grave?

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Alex DeLarge posted:

I didn't think Kobane was getting that demolished, so that leads me to believe this is a Syrian battle.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Torpor posted:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=852_1412976169

:ughh: Kurd propaganda needs some assistance

That doesn't look like Kobane, it could really be anywhere in Syria though. Wherever it is, that city is hosed up. And they're still fighting over it?!?

This is the best Youtube quote for that video:

Amancioleve Marks posted:

Good luck kurds, and God or Allah, some gays with power in the hill, save you! Congratulations from Portugal! Thanks! gently caress The Islamists Rates!!!

Some gays with power in the hill, indeed! :monocle:

That "propaganda" video is really, really weird. It uses a bunch of different photos from various news articles about the YPJ and labels completely different people as Arin Mirkan. The music and production are also bizarre. Then it slips in an entire 60 Minutes segment, only with the terrible music over it. :psyduck: It's either babby's first propaganda video, or an ISIS operative trying to make the Kurds look bad.

Alex DeLarge posted:

It shouldn't surprise you that they have ZSUs; ISIS has whatever they've come across from rolling over Syrian and Iraqi Army bases, the latter in particular basically just handed over their stuff. They've come across helicopters and other aircraft that they probably can't use. They've even encountered the Iraqi M1A1M tanks, although after looking into it further, I'm pretty sure they either can't use them, or they were all destroyed/disabled. They'd have to be pretty stupid to try to drive around M1s and think they weren't obvious targets for airstrikes.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I didn't think Kobane was getting that demolished, so that leads me to believe this is a Syrian battle.

Kobane is in Syria.... :ssh: But yeah, it doesn't look like Kobane from the photos & video I've seen. In this city there's a bunch of large buildings (maybe apartments), a large grassy field, and then a Mosque across from that. Kobane doesn't look anywhere near that grassy, and the vast majority of the structures look like they're small dwellings. I can't find any location that looks like that on a satellite map of Kobane.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

village catamite posted:

It sounds more like some of the F-18s will just start packing missiles, seeing as they are perfectly capable fighters as well.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

village catamite posted:

Syrian Observatory for Human Rights is claiming that IS is now flying captured migs around Aleppo. I'm assuming this is fearmongering BS, the US military says it has no evidence of these flights occurring.

"lol"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ux0Mb7pryM

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
After thirteen years of War on Terror, where much of Iraq and Syria--secular governments--used to be, there is now a salafist islamist state with an air force. The solution to this emergent problem is more War on Terror. I am an adult presumably free of developmental disabilities in the good company of peers as I say this again, and again, and again. Let's fight!

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

More bombs. Bombs will fix everything.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sergg posted:

More bombs. Bombs will fix everything.

I concur. The issue, however, is not the quantity of bombs; its the rate at which the appropriate targets are eliminated over the rate of additional targets are created. We need to increase the rate at which appropriate targets are bombed in comparison to the rate at which additional potential targets emerge.

We have the capacity. We must use, or allow others to use, the capacity necessary to achieve either an increase in the rate at which appropriate targets (as defined by American guidelines) are bombed or decrease the rate at which additional potential targets are created. Obviously, the former is more cost-effective than the latter, in terms of American lives, American time in hours of life used, American money, and general lives, time, and money.

E:

Of course, if ISIS truly cared about civilians, they could always sign an unconditional surrender and deal with the consequences. I'm sure President Obama would be willing to meet a representative delegation of ISIS aboard the carrier George Bush to accept ISIS' unconditional surrender to US authorities, and we'd stop bombing so long as they followed through on whatever terms we set forth.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 19, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's a pithy comparison, but I don't know if no bombs is going to work out all that great. Certainly not for people like the Yazidis or the Kurds, not that America's done their best to help said peoples but rather that they're both dependent on outside intervention. The solution is not just "more bombs" but I'm hard-pressed to come up with a way to stabilize the security situation in the middle east that doesn't involve fighting and probably foreign intervention.

Out of idle curiosity, can anyone imagine what the reaction would be on the ground if Barack Obama declared tomorrow that since American meddling in the Middle East caused these problems a unilateral disengagement/pullout of all US/NATO forces might fix them? Or at least stop directly causing any more? The resulting freakout and loss of faith in an Iraqi government not backstopped by the American military would probably carry ISIS on a wave of momentum all the way over Baghdad.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dolash posted:

Out of idle curiosity, can anyone imagine what the reaction would be on the ground if Barack Obama declared tomorrow that since American meddling in the Middle East caused these problems a unilateral disengagement/pullout of all US/NATO forces might fix them? Or at least stop directly causing any more? The resulting freakout and loss of faith in an Iraqi government not backstopped by the American military would probably carry ISIS on a wave of momentum all the way over Baghdad.

Yes, I can.

Power abhors a vacuum.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, I can.

Power abhors a vacuum.

This but unironically.

But then again, I'm an (IR) realist.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
The video has nothing to do with Kobane, the guy on the radio is speaking in a colloquial Syrian dialect which points to it being an opposition battalion filming one of it's battles. I'd say Homs or Aleppo, but I'm more partial to Homs.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Willie Tomg posted:

After thirteen years of War on Terror, where much of Iraq and Syria--secular governments--used to be, there is now a salafist islamist state with an air force. The solution to this emergent problem is more War on Terror. I am an adult presumably free of developmental disabilities in the good company of peers as I say this again, and again, and again. Let's fight!

If you want to try hugging it out with the jihadists than by all means go right ahead dude.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Willie Tomg posted:

Oh no. What if they drop a barrel bomb on a neighborhood? :ohdear:

Jonad posted:

If you want to try hugging it out with the jihadists than by all means go right ahead dude.

A big figure from Ahrar al-Sham already tried this, and what ISIS did to him sparked the opposition civil war.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2014/Jan-03/242966-isis-condemned-for-brutal-murder-of-fellow-jihadist.ashx#axzz3GbGhnPyS

They cut his ears off before they killed him. Nice statement towards a man trying to negotiate.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 19, 2014

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

No-one is going to use nukes MGIF gdi. Nobody. Nowhere. It cannot be done.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Unusual video, an anti-ISIS video from Iran with a brief anonymous appearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q_rJ3yoGT8

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Brown Moses posted:

Unusual video, an anti-ISIS video from Iran with a brief anonymous appearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q_rJ3yoGT8

What's a 'Gory'?

Among other things, looks like this could have been rehearsed more before the final take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

THE ISLAMIC STATE is the hateful dream of Criminals & Garys

• Locked thread