Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Do you guys have any tricks (drugs/voodoo) that you recommend outside of common sense for faster recovery? I work on my feet which doesn't help. Recent cardio complaints aside it seems that a rough day at the gym makes me drat near immobile for two or more days afterwards. I want to be able to make it at least three times a week which has been harder than I'd like to admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Work on your sleep and your diet, maybe stretch down after each session?

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Captain Log posted:

Do you guys have any tricks (drugs/voodoo) that you recommend outside of common sense for faster recovery? I work on my feet which doesn't help. Recent cardio complaints aside it seems that a rough day at the gym makes me drat near immobile for two or more days afterwards. I want to be able to make it at least three times a week which has been harder than I'd like to admit.

Hottub and stretches.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Work on your sleep and your diet, maybe stretch down after each session?

this. energy levels are always to do with food and sleep. my sister's boyfriend used to work at a lumber yard, and managed to also be one of the biggest motherfuckers at our gym. he slept 10 hours a night minimum and ate like a loving horse.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Take zinc every night.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

TwistedNails posted:

Take zinc every night.

Alongside this I also drink fish oil for the omega 3. I like to think it makes my joints ache less after training and or/being alive.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

In the long run nutrition will be the most beneficial if you want to be training as often as possible. I know there's a lot of Bullshit out there but there really is a big difference if your nutrition is on point in terms of fatigue, energy levels and recovery.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt2y5phxb6k

Interesting to see Kos rolling with a high-level black belt. Obviously it's just light sparring but he holds his own.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

colonel_korn posted:

Interesting to see Kos rolling with a high-level black belt. Obviously it's just light sparring but he holds his own.

Josh Koscheck is an extremely competent grappler. He just has GSP syndrome where everyone forgets that he's good at things because GSP beat the hell out of him.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!

colonel_korn posted:

why are you at all surprised that a four time ncaa all-american is a good grappler?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Because Bernardo Faria is a REALLY high level grappler

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Elemennop posted:

why are you at all surprised that a four time ncaa all-american is a good grappler?

Probably because Chael Sonnen got his rear end kicked in a similar kind of match up at metamoris.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Ujz5sCS3k

Does anyone know what college this guy Marcelo wrestled at, it must have been a pretty good one to dominate four-time NCAA all-American Ben Askren in whatever sport this is that is actually not really the same as folkstyle wrestling at all? :confused:

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

colonel_korn posted:

I was disappointed by this. Faria, clearly aiming for deep half and probably expecting to show off his skills for the Faria Guard instructional he's been promoting, just ended up looking like he was wishing for gi handles. I think my deep half progrssion for nogi is still this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0cRb-0GSh8

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Preseason College Wrestling rankings are out. Opens start up in a few weeks and real duals and tournaments start to pick up in mid to late November.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Preseason College Wrestling rankings are out. Opens start up in a few weeks and real duals and tournaments start to pick up in mid to late November.

Who should I be paying attention to this year?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dangersim posted:

Who should I be paying attention to this year?

Logan Stieber from Ohio State is going for his fourth title. He's probably the biggest name this year. Also going to be able to see how Sanderson at Penn State does without the benefit of his double recruiting class from 2009.

J'Den Cox won it last year as a true freshman and is a pretty cool dude. If ISU didn't have a serious contender in his weight class I'd be a pretty big fan of his. He's got a shot at being a four time no redshirt champ.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 21, 2014

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Documentary about submission fighting looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-RrzFQCnzw

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Last week and this week my cardio has blown. Considering three weeks ago I was able to go three times including one back to back day I'm a little befuddled. Approaching a sport at the lightest weight you have been since highschool after kicking booze is supposed to be easier, damnit.

I just hate the feeling of wasting your partner's time when drilling. Even dogshit tired, my size and build helps present a challenge to my opponent. But in drills I'm drat near useless this past week or so with almost passing out every time I stand up and dying constantly.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I don't know man - you need to fix your diet but also realize you're not actually that big.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

origami posted:

I don't know man - you need to fix your diet but also realize you're not actually that big.

My diet isn't that lovely, it's just working nights makes it to where I'm eating at odd times. Maybe if I get that regulated. I also know I'm not all that big but I'm not getting just bumberfucked rolling even when I'm about to die exhausted.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Folks might not be taking it easier on you anymore now that they know you trained prior? Also I remember when I first started I hit bjj so hard I got crazy tendonitis in both arms due to the deathgrips I was using constantly. It was so bad the pain woke me up at night. I took some time off and the problem solved itself. If you're feeling like poo poo 2-3 days off will make a big difference.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Captain Log posted:

I also know I'm not all that big but I'm not getting just bumberfucked rolling even when I'm about to die exhausted.

maybe you're getting better?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Tangentially, one thing I've noticed over the past few years is that when I take a week off for whatever reason (injury/illness/etc..) I return and start mauling people.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

origami posted:

Tangentially, one thing I've noticed over the past few years is that when I take a week off for whatever reason (injury/illness/etc..) I return and start mauling people.

I've noticed this too. For me I feel like after some time off my mind works faster, and it's easier to strategize and stay one step ahead.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
My point being is if you feel like poo poo take 2-3 days off and ride your bike around, captainlog

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Captain Log posted:

My diet isn't that lovely, it's just working nights makes it to where I'm eating at odd times. Maybe if I get that regulated. I also know I'm not all that big but I'm not getting just bumberfucked rolling even when I'm about to die exhausted.

Not trying to turn this into nutrition chat, but if you want a hand shoot me a pm with a food log from a few days and I'm happy to proffer some advice on how to improve it. A buddy of mine is a nutritionist and I can get him to run an eye over it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I really appreciate all the advice. I think I iust need to chill and figure out how to properly eat while working a job that has me there most nights.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Gadamer posted:

Documentary about submission fighting looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-RrzFQCnzw

Looks really cool but lmao at Royce still trying to push the idea that pre-BJJ there was no jiu-jitsu (or belts)

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyone use a heavy bag? Any point? Seems useless to me, if you're working with something not moving.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyone use a heavy bag? Any point? Seems useless to me, if you're working with something not moving.

I'm not really sure what type of grappling you're talking about but you can put a gi top on one and practice your footwork and technique for throws if you do judo. I wouldn't recommend actually throwing the bag though, it will break after a while, just work on getting into place quickly.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

It's good for some specific stuff, like drilling suplexes onto a crash mat or working on your ground striking.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Opal posted:

Looks really cool but lmao at Royce still trying to push the idea that pre-BJJ there was no jiu-jitsu (or belts)

His whole family is hopeless for that. I would like for once someone to do a documentary on Fadda.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
It says a lot that I've practiced SW and BJJ for years now and had not even heard of Oswaldo Fadda before. I feel vaguely embarrassed.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Auuuuuugh.. Dangit.

Nothing starts a morning like daily dose of Roidtech.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any other decent / essential BJJ books then aside from Jiu Jitsu University?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Any other decent / essential BJJ books then aside from Jiu Jitsu University?

Mastering JuJitsu by Renzo Gracie and John Danaher. Danaher is probably the smartest man in BJJ.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Good for beginners?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress it, found it on eBay for £9. Purchased. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Jiu Jitsu University is the best because not only does it have great techniques, it also lays them out in the order you should be learning them and lays out what you should be concentrating on at each belt level.

I always liked how he said that white belt is the belt of survival, while blue belt is the belt of defense.