Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Looks like the walking in a circle exposition from Zero made a comeback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
He learned from the best.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's in the priest's handbook that you must circle whoever you're expositing to.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Looks like the walking in a circle exposition from Zero made a comeback.

Technically, walking in a square, since the pews got in the way.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Was the thing Kirei said about having to kill the other Masters to achieve the Grail's full power true? If I remember correctly you need to kill all seven servants to get the Grail's full power, not the masters. To me it seems as if he just wants to cause as much bloodshed as he can for the fun of it but the Grail did turn out evil in Fate/Zero. Was that because Waver and Kirei didn't die?

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 18, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

KonvexKonkav posted:

Was the thing Kirei said about having to kill the other Masters to achieve the Grail's full power true? To me it seems as if he just wants to cause as much bloodshed as he can for the fun of it but the Grail did turn out evil in Fate/Zero. Was that because Waver and Kirei didn't die?

Nope, he's talking out his rear end. You just need to kill Servants to power the Grail, no need to kill Masters, but as he said, hit is easier to eliminate Masters than Servants. He just wants to get his rocks off.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Someone needs to gif Rin's shiteating grin when she's teasing Shirou about Saber early on.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Blhue posted:

Someone needs to gif Rin's shiteating grin when she's teasing Shirou about Saber early on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpSF2y7hi-w

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 19, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

KonvexKonkav posted:

Was the thing Kirei said about having to kill the other Masters to achieve the Grail's full power true? If I remember correctly you need to kill all seven servants to get the Grail's full power, not the masters. To me it seems as if he just wants to cause as much bloodshed as he can for the fun of it but the Grail did turn out evil in Fate/Zero. Was that because Waver and Kirei didn't die?

He just trying to make his job as easy as possible, so he doesn't have to take care of any scrub mages that lost their seals :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Blhue posted:

Couldn't get it to really work in gif format but this shot was also pretty amusing:

:buddy:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nate RFB posted:

Couldn't get it to really work in gif format but this shot was also pretty amusing:

:buddy:

Yeah that one in particular was the shot I was thinking of.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

her lewdness is a great nightmare.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This episode was terrible. That might have been acceptable (but still not good) expository infodump if this was everyone's first time at the dance, but what size of the audience could that possibly be? Between people coming in from Zero, to people who are already familiar with the games... should've been more about characterization and less about repeating what's already a bunch of known knowns.

Maybe I just hate it cuz there was no fights, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh you're gonna get a fight.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

her lewdness is a great nightmare.

Rin Tohsaka is a terrifying woman.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Having not read the vee-en, I don't know precisely what this means, but coming off F/Z, Saber is very aware of who Emiya is.

OnimaruXLR posted:

This episode was terrible. That might have been acceptable (but still not good) expository infodump if this was everyone's first time at the dance, but what size of the audience could that possibly be? Between people coming in from Zero, to people who are already familiar with the games... should've been more about characterization and less about repeating what's already a bunch of known knowns.

Maybe I just hate it cuz there was no fights, though.

Yeah this ep was weak.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Cutting down the scene at the Church, even though it's full of exposition the viewer already knows, is a little awkward, as it's pretty important for characterizing Shirou and how his ideal shapes his goals in the War. But the 'Rin explains stuff to Shirou' sequence could have probably been removed entirely. It feels like the writers could have taken a bit more liberty with the script under the assumption that, between F/Z and the prologue, the viewers don't need the exposition to work out what's going on.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Myriad Truths posted:

Cutting down the scene at the Church, even though it's full of exposition the viewer already knows, is a little awkward, as it's pretty important for characterizing Shirou and how his ideal shapes his goals in the War. But the 'Rin explains stuff to Shirou' sequence could have probably been removed entirely. It feels like the writers could have taken a bit more liberty with the script under the assumption that, between F/Z and the prologue, the viewers don't need the exposition to work out what's going on.

That is probably more why it was cut down, and than no doubt they would of noticed Kirei bending the truth and fixing it when Rin contradicted him, and the private sequence would probably just be more characterization than info dub between the focus point master.

So yeah, a filler. But one that did kinda have to happen since it is made on existing material.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was exposition, but at least to me, it didn't really feel that long.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
What happened to Saber? Why is she a robot maid now? She had a personality and ideals in Fate Zero, but this version of her seems like some kind of generic knife waifu.

The art and production in this series is great, but the character and writing doesn't seen nearly as strong. I really enjoyed the clash of ideals in Zero - do we get to see more of that once we escape the exposition?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Squidster posted:

The art and production in this series is great, but the character and writing doesn't seen nearly as strong. I really enjoyed the clash of ideals in Zero - do we get to see more of that once we escape the exposition?

Yes

Keep in mind Zero was written with Stay/Night in mind, the various themes of zero are playing off/based on ideas presented in f/sn.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Squidster posted:

What happened to Saber? Why is she a robot maid now? She had a personality and ideals in Fate Zero, but this version of her seems like some kind of generic knife waifu.

I think in general it's better to read the VN before watching any of the movie adaptations. You sort of have to be a fan already. I thought F/Z was pretty meh since that was my first Nasu thing but reading (playing?) F/SN made me appreciate the little things a lot more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And it's important to keep in mind that Saber isn't really the main focus of Unlimited Blade Works. You want a Saber-centric plot, you go to Fate.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

She just hasn't had any time to understand Shirou; her personality mostly emerges as a comparison to his. They clash a fair bit throughout the series. I do think her characterization is a lot better in Zero.

Shirou's ideals are the single most important thing to F/SN as a whole, so you don't have to worry too much about that. Actually, this episode had a fair bit of it couched within the exposition. Kotomine's last comments to Shirou are particularly apropos.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Squidster posted:

One way to read it is that she has become more reserved after her experiences in the last war, when she had her ideals broken in front of her after facing Lancelot, as well as Kiritsugu "betraying" her by commanding her to destroy the Grail at the last second.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Squidster posted:

Yes, that two minute of screen time where she doesn't have the opportunity to do much is totally proof that she somehow lost all personality.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saber is bad, so the less we see of her the better.

Rin however, is good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cutting down the church sequence means cutting down on Kotomine, which is not acceptable.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Squidster posted:

Don't do this

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Saber is bad, so the less we see of her the better.

Rin however, is good.

Yes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It all comes back, full circle. :geno:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have to say that I do rather like Shirou's Gundam Protagonist Jacket.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I haven’t read the VN, and all I’ve seen is Fate Zero, which I really enjoyed. I’m finding Fate/Stay night, so far at least, much ‘safer’ and more familiar. We have a tsundere decoy protagonist, a very normal sort of bland male hero with a Secret Power that lets him fight servants, and it’s all set in the incredibly overdone highschool setting.

Fate Zero was an exposition infodump nova at the start, but at the same time it immediately introduced a huge cast of oppositional characters with big obvious motivations. Rin’s drive to win, and Shirou’s drive to be nice haven’t been shown to be as destructive, and well, as interesting. They’re stock anime good guys.

Now Shirou, who has the anime protagonist power of magic sword, has been paired with a submissive king. Sure, maybe Saber’s pretending and playing a role, but without the context of Fate Zero she’s just a sword-wielding doormat without any hint of conflict or personality. I understand that this is not her story, but… she’s going to be beside the main character for the rest of the show. People in the thread have talked about them cutting the ‘omg a girl is fighting’ conflict, and even though that is a really *stupid* conflict, it’s at least a dynamic of some kind.

People talk about this series as if there’s great writing down the pipe and ideal clash, etc., so I’m taking their word for it and sticking with it. But in the 2 hours of show I’ve seen, it’s just decent shonen action in the vein of Scryed.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Watching this week's episode got me in the mood to draw a bit.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Squidster posted:

I haven’t read the VN, and all I’ve seen is Fate Zero, which I really enjoyed. I’m finding Fate/Stay night, so far at least, much ‘safer’ and more familiar. We have a tsundere decoy protagonist, a very normal sort of bland male hero with a Secret Power that lets him fight servants, and it’s all set in the incredibly overdone highschool setting.

Fate Zero was an exposition infodump nova at the start, but at the same time it immediately introduced a huge cast of oppositional characters with big obvious motivations. Rin’s drive to win, and Shirou’s drive to be nice haven’t been shown to be as destructive, and well, as interesting. They’re stock anime good guys.

Now Shirou, who has the anime protagonist power of magic sword, has been paired with a submissive king. Sure, maybe Saber’s pretending and playing a role, but without the context of Fate Zero she’s just a sword-wielding doormat without any hint of conflict or personality. I understand that this is not her story, but… she’s going to be beside the main character for the rest of the show. People in the thread have talked about them cutting the ‘omg a girl is fighting’ conflict, and even though that is a really *stupid* conflict, it’s at least a dynamic of some kind.

People talk about this series as if there’s great writing down the pipe and ideal clash, etc., so I’m taking their word for it and sticking with it. But in the 2 hours of show I’ve seen, it’s just decent shonen action in the vein of Scryed.

My problem with going into F/Z fresh was being unable to feel anything for the main characters. Kiritsugu (kill one, save two!) didn't seem human. Kirei was downright evil. Paired up with Gil (graded A+ for obnoxiousness) the final showdown was more of a 'let's get it over with, we gotta wrap this up somehow' than me caring about it one way or another.

Once I'm done with HF route (I'm trying to pace myself) I'll probably rewatch F/Z, though. I think it will fit better now that I'm hooked into the whole shindig and I've learned more about Kiri and Kirei to care about their past.

The ufotable adaptation's pace is definitely off, I agree. I'm still enjoying it as a way to re-experience F/SN, though. The fights so far have been absolutely breathtaking.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Squidster posted:

This is the perfect example of why starting with FZ is bad.

Kubla Khan posted:

My problem with going into F/Z fresh was being unable to feel anything for the main characters. Kiritsugu (kill one, save two!) didn't seem human. Kirei was downright evil. Paired up with Gil (graded A+ for obnoxiousness) the final showdown was more of a 'let's get it over with, we gotta wrap this up somehow' than me caring about it one way or another.

Once I'm done with HF route (I'm trying to pace myself) I'll probably rewatch F/Z, though. I think it will fit better now that I'm hooked into the whole shindig and I've learned more about Kiri and Kirei to care about their past.

The ufotable adaptation's pace is definitely off, I agree. I'm still enjoying it as a way to re-experience F/SN, though. The fights so far have been absolutely breathtaking.
I'd actually suggest you read the original book+Heart of Freaks if you're going to go back into Fate Zero. The show, as we've already kind of discussed, cuts a lot of narration and stuff that gives context to things, particularly the thoughts of Kiritsugu and Kirei.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Rodyle posted:

This is the perfect example of why starting with FZ is bad.
In the pudding before potatoes sense?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think you're going to be disappointed if you're looking for more the same of Zero in this anime; different writers, different themes, different eras even. This part of the story is ostensibly the first introduction anyone ever had to this silly franchise, and thus it's sort of by design that it's playing things a bit safer. For a lot of people the appeal of Zero was that it shook things up so much compared to this 'first' run. If do believe you will be rewarded by the end so I do suggest sticking with it; the pleasantries and introductions are essentially over with anyway.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Squidster posted:

People in the thread have talked about them cutting the ‘omg a girl is fighting’ conflict, and even though that is a really *stupid* conflict, it’s at least a dynamic of some kind.

That conflict emerged from Shirou's (Fate route spoiler)witnessing Saber getting destroyed by Berserker in the beginning of Fate route (we're getting to that fight in the next episode), combine that with superhero complex and survivor's guilt and there you have it.I wouldn't call it stupid actually even if it's completely irrational (if that makes sense).

rvm fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

rvm posted:

That conflict emerged from Shirou's witnessing BIG SPOILERS FOR THE NEXT loving EPISODE.
:catstare:

Some of us have not watched anything Fate. Or read anything Fate. Or even know what Type/Moon is.

• Locked thread